UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #51
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Also, most Protoss have trouble against Terran, but I'm actually really strong against Terran, and struggle against Zerg. So if you need some tips on beating the unstoppable marine/medivac/maurader combo that nearly all Terrans go for against Protoss, hit me up.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #52
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I suck vs Protoss as Zerg. >.> HT and Stalkers rip me apart. Stalkers do more dmg to armored so Zergs only option, Roaches, get torn apart. D: You have to really like outnumber.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #53
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Roaches and stalkers are about equal to each other. If you want a real counter to stalkers, make lings.

Also, hydralisks with range upgrade waste Protoss gateway units. I've seen pro games where the toss makes mass gateway units vs hydralisks, and even if he's doing crazy blink stalker micro plus perfect forcefields, he will still lose. They can hold off the hydras for a while with these tricks, but if he doesn't eventually make colossus or high templars in response, he will die.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #54
Lady Kuno

Lings get torn the fuck apart vs stalkers, no idea what you are talking about. >_> They run around like idiots trying to hit clumped up stalkers and just get shot and killed in like 1 hit.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #55
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Considering buying this, but have patchy internet connection and have heard that it has some fairly Fascist-DRM where I won't be able to save if my internet connection drops, is that for real?
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There's this thing called a store. You could go there and buy what's known as a physical copy. It may even come with an owner's manual.

Sarcasm aside, $50 on Amazon.

EDIT: or were you talking about the need to update your game's security patch on a monthly basis? I don't think having a patchy internet connection should be of too much concern to you there: if the connection drops, then the verification fails but you merely try again later. And if for some oddball reason you can't, and you fear that they've blacklisted your IP and product I.D., then you just have to call Customer Support and hope to get it straightened out.

But I assumed you meant the DRM as it applies to the initial download, and so I was like, "He does realize you can buy this offline, right?" Sorry if I was a bit hasty.

EDIT #2: read some of the customer reviews on Amazon. Sounds like Blizzard's jumped the customer satisfaction shark. Time to start looking for the new Blizzard, I guess. lol

Last edited by Talon87; 11-29-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #57
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

About 4 lings can definitely kill 1 stalker prior to any upgrades. It takes 4 attacks from a stalker to kill a ling. And considering the cost of lings vs. stalkers, it easily doable to take down stalkers with enough lings. With the speed upgrade, lings can easily rip shit up and stalkers have little chance to even try and kite them. And as a rule of thumb, due to the typical Zerg frailty, the Ground Carapace upgrade should be your first choice prior to damage upgrades. It greatly increases their survivability even with only 1 level.

The numbers are roughly the same for marauders too, but they kite with the concussive rounds and stimpacks, so it can be harder.

I'll probably stick with Zerg for a while, but I do want to learn play Protoss better.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #58
M. M.
Wai Hello Thar

Send a message via AIM to M. M. Send a message via MSN to M. M.
I'm considering actually playing this game instead of letting it sit and collect dust. Should I or should I not?
B- Ref Grade
M. M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #59
Lady Kuno

Playing with random scrubs is fun but it's much more fun with friends. We should get a UPN 4v4 group going. xD

Old 11-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #60
M. M.
Wai Hello Thar

Send a message via AIM to M. M. Send a message via MSN to M. M.
That would be to imply that I don't suck horribly at the game and know what I"m doing.
B- Ref Grade
M. M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #61
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
Considering buying this, but have patchy internet connection and have heard that it has some fairly Fascist-DRM where I won't be able to save if my internet connection drops, is that for real?
Yeah, an internet connection is practically required, as the offline mode is fairly glitchy in allowing people to play as opposed to saying "YOU HAVE NO ACCOUNT." Supposedly they are working on fixing it. Not sure though.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #62
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Playing with random scrubs is fun but it's much more fun with friends. We should get a UPN 4v4 group going. xD
I concur. lol. I'm really rusty. When you get good at shooting, you get bad at ALL ASPECTS OF RTS!

After a few games, I've gotten a little bit better on Zerg and it's boosting my confidence, but I really got to get back into the rhythm of early rushes while still macroing up.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 AM   #63
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Cheers guys- I don't mind so much not playing online as I half expect that until my sodding net gets sorted, but I'd be a bit loathe to have the Single Player mode interrupted because my Internet went for a moment, and as Talon correctly noted, there some absolutely stinking reviews due to this on Amazon.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #64
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Yeah, the game itself is good, but Buzzard is pretty gay. They even charge you money to change your username!

Regarding lings vs stalkers: What Loki said. I don't know if you're talking about 1 ling vs 1 stalker or what, but on a cost for cost basis, lings easily beat them. There does come a point though where the guy with ranged units will get more and more of an advantage the bigger the armies get, because the range advantage means there's lots of shots being fired while the melee units have a tough time getting in there and surrounding them. Same thing happens with zealots, which supposedly counter mauraders, but get vapourized instantly once the Terran has enough mauraders. This point is known as a "critical mass" of units.

And yes, you usually want to upgrade armour for Zerg. There's actually some complex math when it comes to which upgrades you want to buy for each situation. For Protoss, you generally want armour upgrades if you plan to go zealot heavy, but if you're facing lings you actually want weapons since they can kill them in one less hit (which adds up to a lot).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 11-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #65
Loki

When things hit critical mass, that's where splash is necessary. Sadly, for Zerg, it's only Ultralisks and Fungal Growth from Infestors. I won't really consider Mutalisks since they generally lose vs. Stalkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone
Cheers guys- I don't mind so much not playing online as I half expect that until my sodding net gets sorted, but I'd be a bit loathe to have the Single Player mode interrupted because my Internet went for a moment, and as Talon correctly noted, there some absolutely stinking reviews due to this on Amazon.
If you already logged in and then lose connection, you will continue to play. If you fail to connect, then you can't play. And single player really isn't the appeal of the game.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #66
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Thought of torrenting Starcraft 2.

Then saw 7.2 GB.

nty.

Starcraft 1 instead y/n?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #67
Lady Kuno

Pretty sure you get an activation code to put in when you buy it to play online. You won't really be able to play SC1 without it either.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #68
Loki

You can find ways to bypass authenticity checks in Starcraft 1 and play on b.net, so go ahead. Starcraft 2 is pretty anal about it, so I wouldn't really bother. Single player isn't worth torrenting 7.2 gigs for. Especially since you could risk getting caught.

BORKED

Epic custom map. I was playing that all day yesterday.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #69
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Didn't watch it all, skipped ahead a bunch, but I did catch the bit in the middle which, going from 12:20 to 12:30 or so, shows a pretty hysterical (for us! Depressing for him!) guy only two spaces away from base when his ship explodes. Also caught the double KO with the nuke, as well as one miss earlier.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #70
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
You can find ways to bypass authenticity checks in Starcraft 1 and play on b.net, so go ahead. Starcraft 2 is pretty anal about it, so I wouldn't really bother. Single player isn't worth torrenting 7.2 gigs for. Especially since you could risk getting caught.
I have (had) a hack available to play SC1 on a pirate network, although the key can't be used on BNET. What's the risk in downloading SC2? I was instinctively wary of downloading it because it's a popular game and would likely be an easy target for viruses, but is there a way for Blizzard to know one pirated the game if it's only used for SP?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #71
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If the game attempts to phone home without your knowledge, and if your network permissions allow that attempt to successfully go through, then yes, theoretically, just by running the game you could be running that risk. However, if phone-home behavior WERE intercepted by a network-savvy geek, you can best believe that it'd be all over the Internet in no time and that Blizzard would lose MASSIVE respect from their fans. So it's very, very unlikely that the game contains any such code.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #72
Loki

You need a battle.net account to even access the game. No log in, no game- single or multiplay. If your battle.net account has no record of purchasing Starcraft 2, well I do believe you have been caught.

There have been people working to hack it for private network play, but I don't know anything of it beyond just people working on it. It's like people who hack MMOs to play on private servers. If you find a way to do get that, do it at your own risk.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #73
Lady Kuno

Unlike SC1, there is no option to play LAN or anything like that.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #74
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I figured you could play Single Player without BattleNet and that all you'd need was the activation key for the disc. The fact that you have to register with BattleNet and log-in to activate the game really kills the ability to easily pirate this one. Spoofing a BattleNet account isn't really an option since only one person can log in to the account at a time (I'm guessing), making it worthless for pirates. Unlike activation keys, which you can happily use again and again and again, once for each pirated copy of the exact same game.

Good thing I wasn't planning on it anyway. My plan is to wait for all three games to be out and to see if they have a favorably-priced 3-in-1 pack at that point. And if it's not favorably priced to just continue waiting. Maybe I'll pass it over even if it is favorably priced! Was never a big fan of Warcraft 3, so I can't imagine-- whoops! We've already been down this path.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-01-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #75
Loki

I actually bought the game and downloaded it off Battle.net as a Blizzard torrent. Then I turned off peer-to-peer and it finished in a fraction of the time. Went from like 2 days to like 2 hours lol. Because I bought it on B.net, I never needed an activation code.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games