UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #76
deoxys
Fog Badge

I just finished Episode 7 and felt the need to say something.

Spoiler: show
I read Talon's post and he hit the nail on the head. My first though was "oh my god, that's Eren and he's been reborn as a Titan." This is something I theorized before as to where the titans were coming from and this just looks to prove it. Thing is, if that's right, I fucking hate it. When Eren was eaten, he had only lost an arm and a leg and had taken no injuries that would actually kill him unless he just bled out. I have been hoping to see Eren get rescued from the bearded titan who ate him, but it's becoming more and more bleak.

That said, just because this titan has the willpower to kill others doesn't mean it's not another human who died. It could very well be.

In addressing to Talon's "little miss perfect" comment on Mikasa, I wholeheartedly disagree entirely. It's such a breath of fresh air to see the fucking female lead pick up the slack and become the hero, and she's damn good at it, too. Her mind shuts off in the heat of combat and she does work. It's a trope that's been done time and time again, but I'm actually happy to see a character like Mikasa pick up the role for a change.

Anyway, my theory right now is that Titans are either some sort of divine creation/demon meant to quell humans from expanding (perhaps this series takes place on Earth in the distant future?) or are some sort of scientific experiment gone horribly wrong. I really don't know what else it could be. The whole "titan rebirth" thing makes sense somewhat, with the answer being eating humans=reproduction, somehow... but that is the silliest plot idea out of all of them, honestly, and it looks like that's where this is heading -_-
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #77
deoxys
Fog Badge

So then, episode 8:

Right towards the beginning of the episode, I had remember Eren's dream in episode 2 where his father was trying to inject him with shit and his eyes were glowing red. Then I thought "HM, I WONDER IF EREN GOES SUPER SAIYAN TITAN MODE WHEN HIS LIFE IS IN DANGER NOW?" aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand sure enough, the end of the episode confirmed that! Of course, it only seems that way at the moment. I don't quite understand why he had his limbs back or even more ridiculously his *clothes*... but I'll withhold judgment for now.

So the show itself is 25 episodes, which is a relief given I just couldn't see this working in only 13. Also it looks like there are 10 volumes out already and it's still going, so I guess this means we can expect Shingeki no Kyojin to last quite a while.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #78
deoxys
Fog Badge

And finally caught up.

Aiyiyi. This fucking show...
Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #79
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Yeah okay. Morg told me to check this out so I did.

Episodes 1-7
Not too bad. I like the idea of this human struggle/apocalypse scenario.

I do find it really silly that humans would actually hide for a whole century without actually developing anything new to retake the world. Honestly, a whole 100 years with no progress? I can't really accept that. Even their cannons and muskets look exactly the same. I guess the 3D Maneuver Gear could have had taken a lot to develop or something, but it doesn't really seem like an anti-Titan weapon in any real sense. I would think more accurate and quicker loading cannons would have had been a much more logical attempt to destroy decapitate them and then allowing foot soldiers to destroy the nape.

Also, the size and scope of everything is pretty silly as well. If all of humanity is hitting behind three walls, how is their population that high? With the restrictions of the walls for both housing and farming, it's like impossible to have a sustainable population even before they ran into the inner walls.

Episode 8+ (Haven't seen 9 yet):
FUCK ANIME! WHY DID THEY NEED FUCKING MAGIC IN ALL THIS SHIT!

The show feels a lot weaker now. Originally it felt like a literal David vs. Goliath, except the whole human population is David and all there are seemingly hundreds of Goliaths. Or a zombie apocalypse. Now it's god damn Pacific Rim. WE'LL MAKE OUR OWN GIANT TO FIGHT THE GIANTS! Fuck that.

Eren's dad missing and the stupid serum thing all points to dumb anime magic science and takes away from the whole appeal of human struggle. Now its more like HUMANS ARE WORTHLESS! GO GO MAGIC!

Will probably drop it. Misaka and Sasha are adorbs though.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #80
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Misaka and Sasha are adorbs though.

I agree.

Last edited by deoxys; 06-05-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #81
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Loki you should really read Muv-Luv Alternative. There's a bit of hand-waving for some things but never gross violations of conservation of matter like what we've seen in this story!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #82
deoxys
Fog Badge

So this just showed up on my facebook feed:

Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #83
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
So this just showed up on my facebook feed:

Their tendons remind otaku of mozzarella cheese strings as you pull apart pizza slices.

In all seriousness, it's not uncommon for otaku tie-ins with pizza companies in Japan. Domino's is doing a Hatsune Miku thing this year, and Pizza Hut has done things in the past with anime, most famously in Code Geass where product placement was everywhere.

You can't see it here but the box cover is 100% Pizza Hut's, to a tee. No letter changes or anything.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #84
Loki

Pizza Hut teamed up with Anime. Papa Johns teamed up with eSports. Dominoes teamed up with puke Vocaloids.

This is so weird.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #85
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
If Shingeki no Kyojin was a comedy manga, so many things could happen that would be funny. Heck, even a fail when killing a giant would be funny.

or not...
Old 06-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #86
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Sorry for the double post, but new chapter!

Shingeki no Kyoujin 46 thoughts

Too many questions ;_;

1) Who the heck is the monkey?
2) The real enemy?
3) Why did Ymir suddenly change her mind?
4) And why is Eren's face like that?

I'm itching for the next chapter, as possible information will open up
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #87
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
Sorry for the double post, but new chapter!

Shingeki no Kyoujin 46 thoughts

Too many questions ;_;

1) Who the heck is the monkey?
2) The real enemy?
3) Why did Ymir suddenly change her mind?
4) And why is Eren's face like that?

I'm itching for the next chapter, as possible information will open up
This is the discussion for the anime. I'd suggest you don't bring up the manga again, since even trying to quote people shows what's in the spoiler boxes. Especially spoilers like that just make people want to look things up and spoil themselves further.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #88
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
This is the discussion for the anime. I'd suggest you don't bring up the manga again, since even trying to quote people shows what's in the spoiler boxes. Especially spoilers like that just make people want to look things up and spoil themselves further.
Going to have to disagree with that. We make one thread per franchise, not one thread per facet of each franchise. Sakurasou is for discussion of the books and the anime. Evangelion is for discussion of the old anime, the new anime, and the manga. Kaiji is for discussion of Season 1, Season 2, and the manga. That's kind of how we always rolled. We don't like to spam up the place, and it'd definitely get spammed up if someone started mandating that manga, anime, light novel, and live action adaptations all have to go in separate threads.

In the future, don't quote-reply to people who are spoiler tagging things you don't want to see. Live and learn. I assume you got spoiled by his post contents and are angry. Well, I'd be frustrated too, but that's not his fault: it's the forum's. Why did you even need to quote reply to him though? Pretty much his entire post is inside of a spoiler tag from the look of it. All he says outside is "Sorry for the double post, but new chapter! Shingeki no Kyoujin 46 thoughts". So I don't even understand what possessed you to quote-reply in the first place. I could see it in a longer post with manga and anime spoilers mixed together, sure, but even there it'd just be a tragic accident. Here though ... he did everything right.

Hell, just consider the Aku no Hana thread. Kind of a personal double standard, Kaisa, if you're okay with discussing manga spoilers there in my presence yet you want to ask Fallen Icarus not to discuss SnK manga spoilers here.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #89
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Going to have to disagree with that. We make one thread per franchise, not one thread per facet of each franchise. Sakurasou is for discussion of the books and the anime. Evangelion is for discussion of the old anime, the new anime, and the manga. Kaiji is for discussion of Season 1, Season 2, and the manga. That's kind of how we always rolled. We don't like to spam up the place, and it'd definitely get spammed up if someone started mandating that manga, anime, light novel, and live action adaptations all have to go in separate threads.

In the future, don't quote-reply to people who are spoiler tagging things you don't want to see. Live and learn. I assume you got spoiled by his post contents and are angry. Well, I'd be frustrated too, but that's not his fault: it's the forum's. Why did you even need to quote reply to him though? Pretty much his entire post is inside of a spoiler tag from the look of it. All he says outside is "Sorry for the double post, but new chapter! Shingeki no Kyoujin 46 thoughts". So I don't even understand what possessed you to quote-reply in the first place. I could see it in a longer post with manga and anime spoilers mixed together, sure, but even there it'd just be a tragic accident. Here though ... he did everything right.

Hell, just consider the Aku no Hana thread. Kind of a personal double standard, Kaisa, if you're okay with discussing manga spoilers there in my presence yet you want to ask Fallen Icarus not to discuss SnK manga spoilers here.
I wasn't actually spoiled by the box's contents myself. And I did think of spoiler boxes with mixed content (spoilers for manga and anime with no warning). My apologies.

I'm also not too sure if people other than Icarus are reading the manga - or if they are, they sure haven't said a word about it.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #90
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sure, but he's still free to reach out and see if others are. If no one takes that first step and speaks up, no one may ever discuss it here. Someone's gotta be the first, and in this case it looks like that's Fallen Icarus. He may remain the only one, or he may be joined by any number of others. (Non-Anime forum regulars who also happen to be reading the manga, Anime forum regulars who decide to 'cheat' and read the manga too because they can't wait or they don't mind spoilers, total newcomers to UPN who show up out of the aether ...)

For what it's worth, I do sympathize with you if you got spoiled by accident if you quote-replied to his post. I'd be upset too, and I have had that happen to me before when quote-replying to people. But as far as I can tell, he did everything right. Posted it in the right thread, clearly labeled that it was a spoiler for the manga (and even specified the chapter number! Perfect! ), and put all of the spoiler info inside of a spoiler box.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #91
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think such really hammers home the need for an anime like Gargantia which isn't based on any pre-existing material. Jumping ahead to the manga does nothing but insulate oneself from the crowd discussion, because unless the manga is finished, it's going to lag on the latest chapter too. In SnK's case, I am not so enamoured with it to be in any hurry to alleviate the mysteries of the story, which are relatively tame compared to a typical visual novel writer's webs. In Gargantia's case, it's impossible to read ahead because the anime itself is the limiting animation source.

I did the "jump ahead in the manga" thing for a series last year and regretted it. I only did it for AnH because AnH was so godawful to look at. Definitely not squandering a high potential anime season by seeking out the source material spoilers (for several shows).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #92
Loki

Well, the anime might just end differently from the show. They did that for Chrono Crusade. They did it for Claymore. They did it for a lot of shows. It's extremely rare to see anyone do another forever-series like One Piece or Naruto where they have to make a bunch of filler to let the manga write ahead and then the show plays catch up.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #93
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This isn't a series like Naruto or One Piece however, since it's slated for a fixed number of episodes. Depending on how it ends, we could pick up the manga in the mean-time to catch up, or sit on it and wait if a second season is announced.

Either way, reading the manga ahead of the anime is pretty irreversible, whereas we can always read the manga later, and doing so allows for more reading material available on top of being one chapter closer to the end.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #94
Loki

Didn't I say this show could end up like (NOT ONE PIECE) and it's extremely unlikely to be ONE PIECE.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #95
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Episode 10

Now Eren's back in the "pilot seat". So are the titans mechs or not?

Eren had to bite himself to transform. Maybe the titan-summoning is like a regenerative response to injury.

HYPER OATS YEAST

They sure are taking their time to move. I'd expect you would want to get out of the way as soon as possible when you have cannons pointed at you.

Pixis wants a hot lady titan to "eat" him, if you know what I mean. ;o

Not a whole lot of action this episode. Mainly people despairing in fear and self-doubt... until Armin decides to step up and do something. Good to see him stop acting like titan bait and put his brainpower to use.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #96
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 10:

Not much to say. Saw this yesterday, didn't even bother to post about it. Whoops. ^^; This week's episode feels like one of those "developmental filler" episodes where stuff does happen but the stuff you were expecting to happen / hoping would happen this week didn't happen and thus the 20 minutes you spent watching kinda sorta feels like 20 minutes spent watching filler. When I went into this episode, I went in hoping / expecting to see the kids reach Eren's home. When the episode ended, they hadn't even set out past the wall yet, much less made it to his house. So that was kind of disappointing.

But a bit did happen, like ...
  • the kids meeting the one older general dude
  • us learning that the giant attacks have all come from the south and been in a dead straight line (something which is surely going to come up later)
  • people in the military starting to lose their faith in Crazy Eyes (good! )
  • the giants indeed seemingly being "fleshy mechas", as we'd originally speculated, rather than beings which come about purely from the transformation of a human into a giant
Still no explanation though on why humanity has never noticed human cadavers in the napes of the necks of any of the other giants they've slain, if in fact all giants are fleshy mechas. Maybe it's only the special ones which are? Guess we'll find out in due time.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #97
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 10

On the nose-bleed thing...I doubt Ishiyama, the author, is going to delve much into biology and finite regeneration cycles, but it just clashes on face value about how Eren can regenerate his body completely yet the titan transformation imposes some biological stress on him. It's like the often used "lifespan" penalty for using a power...guy decreases his life-span using a dangerous ability. Except it's effectively a non-cost since the guy isn't going to be old enough for it to be relevant while he's the main character of the story.

I bet if everyone in SnK had a Psycho-Pass and you pointed a Dominator at any one crowd, it would explode.

Armin continues to be pretty pathetic, failing to convince the kooky kommander dude and getting all depressio and useless. I hope he doesn't remain the trap butt monkey for long though I don't really care if he does/doesn't. He's not nearly as cool as Leorio in how one would cheer for him to not be gimped.

I mentioned this to BBB - Eren = Ouma Shuu = Harayuki = Shion, in perhaps one of his manlier roles. Eren might be pretty blood-thirsty and that's what he's got going for him, but hot-blood is worth something, and Yuuki Kaji he doesn't piss me off in this role!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #98
Loki

Okay, I'm constantly 1 episode behind because of Crunchyroll's membership silliness. Not gonna bother checking for another streaming service since they're usually pretty sketchy.

Reasons why I'm dropping the series:

The entire appeal of the early episodes was the idea of humans on the brink of extinction. Humans facing a nearly unstoppable enemy. Being on the wrong end of the food chain. Whatever. Humanity at its lowest.

When we saw Eren die, followed by Misaka's past, I thought maybe, just maybe, this show would be ultra-deep and amazing. Something unique. It wasn't the simple Revenge Quest of a single boy. It had suddenly become a Revenge Chain. One person would fail, but inspire the others. And somehow they would keep going and be united by Eren's demise and fight strong and harder and each death would somehow inspire more. Sure everyone has to fight the hopelessness of the situation, the grieving of lost ones, but when your back is against the wall, you fight harder and sometimes you win.

NOPE. Eren's a super magic man. And not only that, he's pretty much INVINCIBLE. He is now the single human vessel of Humanity's Rage against the Titans. The only and only weapon they have against extinction.

This sounds a bit familiar. Who else was pretty much the singular human vessel against a race that lead humans to near extinction? Simons from TTGL. Shinji from Eva (sorta). Zero from Code Geass (except against Britainnia). Is Attack on Titan of the same caliber? I don't think so. Sure the series isn't finished, but just from what we've seen thus far, it's considerably weaker.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #99
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Loki's Shingeki no Kyojin is the Shingeki no Kyojin I want to watch. (Not coincidentally, I think you'll find evidence for that viewpoint in many of my posts dealing with Episodes 5, 6, and 7. )

I'm not dropping the series just yet myself, Loki, but I definitely hear ya. It seems like this series is to 2013 what Mirai Nikki was to 2011: way, way overhyped by the teenage manga-reading demographic. But at least this one's not quite so bad as Mirai Nikki was. ^^;
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #100
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Hm... I would actually strongly advise you against your action if only
for that the overall stuff thing goes from

Humanity<Giants ---> Eren's magic powers to turn into titan, we can win now/omg titan power, bad for us, KILL ---> huge conspiracy, mystery, secrets unlocked that lead to more questions, foreboding

And it gets realllly exciting, or maybe it's just because I like those kind of things >.>

Anyway, what I'm telling you is that you might like it more if you kept with it.

Warning: Do not open spoiler if you do not wish to be spoilered. Not THAT big, but still are spoilers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime