UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #101
Torkoal Stu
This

MM, I'm surprised that didn't put you off for life D:

Just got Venusaur and training to battle Koga. Low 30s at the moment, need to grind up towards 40 soon I think~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #102
Talon87
時の彼方へ

While they may have respectfully left most of the glitches intact, that doesn't mean that Game Freak hasn't altered some elements of the original RGBY games. One thing I was made aware of was that they edited Jynx's color profile in Yellow. (She has her Gen II purple face instead of her Gen I black face.)

Listening to a Pokémon podcast, I was just reminded of something else and wanted to ask those of you with the VC games if they changed it. In RGBY (all released pre-2000), the space shuttle in Pewter City's science museum is clearly identified as the space shuttle Columbia. In GSC also, it might still be that way, I'm not sure. But in the FRLG(?) and HGSS (for sure) remake games, it's changed to a generic shuttle -- because of the Columbia disaster in 2003.

So the question is: did they leave Columbia intact in the VC games? Or did they edit the name out?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #103
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

It still says Columbia, I just checked in Red.

And in GSC, the Pewter Museum was closed- no space shuttle exhibit one way or another.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #104
Heather
Naga's Voice

Just beat Sabrina, the team now:

Saizo, Level 43
Iago, Level 44
Meg, Level 43
Soren, Level 44
Kana, Level 42
And, our newest addition...
Robin, Level 51 (Zapdos)

So thank god for repels letting me safely deliver the Master Ball through the Power Plant. Nikola was getting dead weighty, but I still need an electric type, so obvious course of action was obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #105
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Alright, I'm back into the swing of things in Red. Two badges in. Not putting so much emphasis on Pokédex completion just yet, but that'll come in due time. Team thus far is as follows;

Drowzee lv. 21
~Confusion
~Body Slam
~Hypnosis
~Disable

Spearow lv. 21
~Peck
~Fury Attack
~Leer
~Growl

Gyarados lv. 21
~Bubble Beam
~Bite
~Tackle
~Body Slam

Bulbasaur lv. 22
~Vine Whip
~Body Slam
~Leech Seed
~Poison Powder

Old 03-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #106
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

...And apparently, if you talk to the S.S. Anne's captain when your inventory is full, not only do you need to talk to him again for HM01, you need to rub his back again. Good times. Anyway, just got through with Vermilion Gym. Here's how the team is looking;

Drowzee lv. 25
~Confusion
~Body Slam
~Hypnosis
~Disable

Fearow lv. 25
~Peck
~Fury Attack
~Leer
~Mirror Move

Gyarados lv. 25
~Bubble Beam
~Body Slam
~Bite
~Dragon Rage

Bulbasaur lv. 26
~Vine Whip
~Cut
~Leech Seed
~Poison Powder

EDIT: Just fed each of them a single Rare Candy. Bulbasaur learned Razor Leaf (in place of Vine Whip, of course) and evolved into Ivysaur, and Drowzee evolved into Hypno.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #107
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Made it through Rock Tunnel. Won't give a team update at the moment, for I am currently in the process of attempting to acquire the fifth member of my team, ideally without incident. Won't say what it is at the moment, but I will say it's taken a lot of preparation, and there's still a bit of work to do before I can actually catch it, and there's still gonna be one more thing to do after it's caught, and how the hell does a level 22 Poliwag outspeed a level 29 Ivysaur!? Seriously! What, do these Fishermen just pump them full of Carbos? I mean, I know Poliwag and Poliwhirl are actually faster than Poliwrath, but still!
Old 03-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #108
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Mission complete! All six members of my team are now... well, on the team. The final two members- .4 and Flareon! The latter was, of course, a piece of cake to get, but the former, holy crap. Lemme take you through the sheer amount of preparation it took to get a .4 this early in the game and without risking damage to the save file.

First off, after the debacle with my last Red Version save file, I did further research into the matter- it turns out there is in fact a way to gain temporary immunity from the worst of Super Glitch. It involves standing in a specific spot on the ground floor of Celadon Mansion and opening the menu. Sounds weird, but it works. But anyway, finding that out only told me that deleting the move would be the easy part. It would be getting to that point that would be the hard part.

First, I needed to catch a Paras as I passed through Mt. Moon, and also an Abra up on Route 24. The former wasn't hard to catch, and I was going after the latter anyway for some early-on Mew glitch shenanigans, so that wasn't much of a problem. Then, when I first started doing the Mew glitch to encounter Missingno. in Cerulean, I had to keep on cloning Rare Candies. Not so much for my team, but for Abra and Paras. I needed Paras to learn Spore and get its Speed up to the point where it could actually outspeed a wild lv. 7 .4, and Abra, I evolved into Kadabra, and leveled up until it had a Special stat of exactly 194, which one needs to get a .4. Then, upon arriving in Lavender Town, I had to use the Mew glitch with a Fisherman on Route 12. It got me a Tangela, nothing fancy- the real intention there was, if you do the Mew glitch with a Trainer on Route 12 before battling Snorlax, Snorlax will disappear prematurely. This is what I was after- I needed Snorlax out of the picture for early access to wild Ditto on the next route. So then, with all that done, and Kadabra and Parasect (Paras evolved- I saw no real reason to stop it) in hand, I did the Mew glitch again. This time, I made my way to Route 13's tall grass, which involved me having to ninja past all sorts of Trainers and fight the ones I couldn't avoid, until I could find a wild Ditto. I switched in Kadabra, Ditto Transformed, I ran away, flew back to Lavender. Now came the tricky part- with Parasect in the lead, I left town and encountered the .4. To my immense relief, my precautions paid off- Parasect went first and used Spore, putting .4 straight to sleep, and a few Great Balls later, that was the fifth member of my team caught and ready to roll! See, I didn't want to risk .4 using Super Glitch in the battle, which could have destroyed the save file. Again. And that temporary immunity I mentioned only holds up until you open the start menu outside of that specific spot, as I understand it. And the Mew glitch involves the start menu opening up multiple times, so yeah.

But enough about that- .4 is mine, Flareon is mine, I've been training to get everyone caught up on levels, so let's go over the team!

Fearow lv. 30
~Fly
~Swift
~Leer
~Mirror Move

.4 lv. 30
~Body Slam
~Dig
~Rock Slide
~TM05

Hypno lv. 30
~Confusion
~Body Slam
~Thunder Wave
~Submission

Gyarados lv. 30
~Bubble Beam
~Body Slam
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam

Flareon lv. 30
~Tackle
~Sand Attack
~Body Slam
~Quick Attack

Ivysaur lv. 30
~Razor Leaf
~Cut
~Leech Seed
~Poison Powder
Old 03-19-2016, 06:59 AM   #109
Torkoal Stu
This

Fighting my way through Silph Co. made me realise they really do not make the dungeons in Pokémon like they used to. It was brutal, and my Ponémon went from about 34 to 40 by the time I was done. The actual challenge in it is so high. In a modern Pokémon game it would have half as many trainers with a more convenient healing point.

They really need to up the difficulty for Sun & Moon.

About to challenge Sabrina. Wish me luck~
Old 03-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #110
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Haven't played this in a few days. Been sidetracked by some Shiny hunting I've been doing. That Shiny Magneton and Purugly in my signature? Those are new. Also, I'm trying to get a Shiny in XD at the Rock Poké Spot.

That being said, here's where I last left off in Red. 6 badges, made it to Cinnabar Island and all that. Here's the team;

Fearow lv. 46
~Drill Peck
~Double-Edge
~Mirror Move
~Fly

.4 lv. 47
~Dig
~Strength
~Rock Slide
~TM05

Hypno lv. 46
~Psychic
~Body Slam
~Submission
~Thunder Wave

Gyarados lv. 46
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Body Slam

Flareon lv. 46
~Body Slam
~Fire Spin
~Bide
~Quick Attack

Venusaur lv. 48
~Razor Leaf
~Cut
~Leech Seed
~Toxic
Old 03-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #111
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I've been abusing the Mew Glitch in Cerulean City, Route 24, and Route 25 to see what else I can get. After the Nugget Bridge trainers I glitched every other trainer. This is what I was able to get (all Lv.7):

Cerulean Gym - 1x Mew & 1x Staryu
Rt. 25 - 2x Nidoqueen (caught one, didn't fight the other yet.), 1x Cubone, 1x Lapras, 1x Mew (I didn't fight that trainer yet, but I know it's there.), 1x Gengar, 1x Scyther, 1x Rhyhorn, plus one that I don't remember currently.

I also used the glitch on some of the wild Pokémon on Rt. 24 (had to battle one of the trainers I didn't glitch yet, aka one of the Nidoqueen trainers). One of my results was a Nidoran F, and the other was a Ivysaur.

I moved on from Cerulean City after fighting Misty to Rt. 6. Gonna see what I can glitch on this Route. Clearly I'm not doing a speed run. ;)

My team -
Lv.19 Bulbasaur
Lv.17 Nidoran M
Lv.20 Gyrados
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #112
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Any reason you're holding off on Nidoran's evolution? Bulbasaur's I understand completely- earlier access to Razor Leaf is always a good thing- but the only move of note Nidoran's gonna get if you hold off on evolving it is Double Kick, and it gets way better options later on.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #113
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

To be honest, I have no idea. Maybe I'll evolve him in a gym battle coming up... or against Gary.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #114
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

My adventures in glitching continue... This next installment is based solely on the SS Anne encounter. I'm pleased to say yes, you can glitch on the SS Anne. My main worry was that the dude who checks your ticket would freeze the game, the way encountering a trainer adjacent to you rather than making them walk to you. Luckily that doesn't happen.

Learning from my experience on Rt. 11, I moved something to the sixth slot in case I encounter any more Missingno. I ended up finding 2 more Missingno., so I ended up duplicating a Rare Candy and my TM Bubblebeam (yes that was on purpose). I taught the TM to as many Pokémon as I wanted to, banked a bunch, and sold most of them for $1000 a pop. Not groundbreaking money, but still pretty darn good for early on. Hindsight being 20/20 though, I probably should have duplicated TM Dig for the Vermillion gym battle (just checked - none of my Pokémon can learn Dig...not even a potential Nidoking can...wtf?).

Other Pokémon of note that I got: Growlithe (just tossed a Pokeball at it), Pinsir, Gyarados x2, Machoke (more than one, but I only caught one)

There were lots of Shellder and Tentacool (kinda apropos being on a cruise ship and all).

I caught 2 Gyarados, because I thought I could glitch Growl them down to Lv.1 then get them up to Lv.100. Apparently there only a certain group of Pokémon that glitch works with (all starters, Pidgey line, both Nido-lines, Gastly line, some others, and Mew). I believe it's the Medium Slow Exp group. That explains why all the Youtube videos only show you how to do this with Gengar, Nidoking, and Mew (knowing this, the Nidoqueen on Rte. 25 would have been fun too). So now I have 2 Lv.1 Gyarados in my PC, which I'd probably trade to someone, or send to Sun/Moon for fun.

I didn't try to glitch with the Gary/Blue encounter, but it probably would have worked. Gave a rub to the captain, and got my HM. Then said bye to the boat.

After getting Cut on a Pokémon I won't be using, I'm sad to say I won't be able to glitch in the Vermillion gym. You have to actually go in the menu to select the Pokémon that knows Cut. Later generations spoil us so much.

I do remember leaving a trainer or two before Mt. Moon untouched. Maybe I'll go try them out for glitching. Plus I can see what's glitchable on Rte. 9.

My team -
Lv. 24 Bulbasaur
Lv. 24 Nidorino
Lv. 25 Gyarados
Old 03-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #115
Torkoal Stu
This

Finally beat the E4 today! Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Nidoqueen and Clefable. Had no real trouble with anyone except Gengar II (luckily Clefable's Bubblebeam slowed it enough for Nidoqueen to land an Earthquake) and Dragonite (Charizard managed to get him into red before falling but luckily Pikachu was speedy enough to chip the last bit of HP off).

I discovered how crazy Sleep is in Gen I. Caught all three legendary birds in under 5 Ultra Balls without knocking off a single HP. Crazy.

EDIT: Also crazy was reading an in-depth analysis of the Safari Zone and it is always more beneficial just to throw Safari Balls than using Bait/Rocks. In every situation. Read here.

Last edited by Torkoal Stu; 03-27-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #116
mespritchaser
Pokemon Trainer

Planning to replay Pokemon Yellow over the summer! I've played it like a thousand times, but I never seem to finish it for some reason. I am able to beat the 8 Gym Leaders though but I never make it to the Elite 4. This time I'll do it!

I love the different colors in each city. And the fact that you can get the 3 starters in the game. They automatically go to my team.
mespritchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #117
Heather
Naga's Voice

Im sorry but after going for little Kana for HOURS I firmly believe in the value of a single rock. And Dragonair is just BS.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #118
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Somehow I missed getting the TM for Body Slam. Allegedly it was found on SS Anne. I suppose there's no way to get another, huh? How the hell did I miss it?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #119
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
Somehow I missed getting the TM for Body Slam. Allegedly it was found on SS Anne. I suppose there's no way to get another, huh? How the hell did I miss it?
Yeah, only one is in one of the cabins on the S.S. Anne. You can still get it if the ship set sail, though you'll need to wait until you get Surf.

EDIT: Oh, yeah- after downloading one of the newer themes for my New Nintendo 3DS XL- the Pokémon Red and Blue theme- I was inspired to resume playing Red. Currently in Victory Road. Flareon learned Flamethrower over Quick Attack, but other than that, the team is pretty much the same in terms of moves.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #120
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Yeah, only one is in one of the cabins on the S.S. Anne. You can still get it if the ship set sail, though you'll need to wait until you get Surf.
Wait, what? How does that work?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #121
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Wait, what? How does that work?
I second that emotion. lol

I downloaded the Ash-Greninja theme tonight, because I love me some Ninja Frog!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 PM   #122
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just realized he's going to give you glitching advice, most likely, and not "how you can find the S.S. Anne parked somewhere in the world that Teen Talon never knew about" advice.

I was really excited for the latter, not gonna lie. I was like, "What? You mean you can Surf over to the S.S. Anne and climb on board even after it's set sail? They just moved the boat off screen and figured no one could access it anymore, when really it's still there and all you gotta do is squeeze through some rocks?"

But now I realize it's probably something to do with memory slots and glitching. Something like what you see the speed runners do on the Games Done Quick runs they do of Pokémon.

Well ... still interested! But not in the "I would so love to try this out some day " way. You really had my interest piqued with the idea of being able to set foot on the boat again ...
Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #123
Heather
Naga's Voice

My themes consist of a Momster Hunter weapons gallery, an Ace Attorney trilogy theme, and the classic mode heroes theme for Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. The third one has excellent music btdubs.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #124
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Eheheh, yeah, it's more to do with a glitch than finding the S.S. Anne docked elsewhere in Kanto. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Basically, y'know how whenever you load the game, your character is facing down, no matter which way you were facing when you saved? Well, what you do is, you move to the tile directly above the sailor guarding the S.S. Anne's dock. You face right, and while holding the arrow (or circle pad in that direction, as the case may be), you open the menu and save. If you do it right, when you reload the game, your character will be facing right. However, since the default is the character facing down, the game gets confused here. So, if you do this, with your character facing a tile of water, while the game thinks the character's facing down, when you use Surf, you'll move down instead of right. Usually there's not much use to this, but in this case, it'll result in you Surfing right onto the sailor. This lets you go right past him- right through him, in fact- and will let you reboard the S.S. Anne. It won't be visible anymore, but it's still there. This is also a way to see the infamous truck without trading in something with Cut and bypassing the ship altogether.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #125
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

That would have been good to know for my Pikachu solo run that I couldn't move past Lance because Double-Edge just wasn't cutting it.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON