Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Or...do you?
XanderKetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #127
deoxys
Fog Badge

I need your help guys.

I'm absolutely frustrated with my nuzlocke right now.

I grinded for two hours to beat the first gym, and made it through with ease. I lost my Pansear to a nasty crit hit though. Moving on to the dream yard and team plasma, my Lvl 15 Oshawott was OHKO'd at full HP by a bide + focus energy combo and I rage quit the stream. All I have left are Herdier and Osha. I don't know what to do.

Is anyone else playing with the mercy rule I found "2 KO's in a lifetime = death as opposed to 1"? I don't want to because I feel like, well, that's fairly weak, not to mention I committed to the rules as they were when I decided to do this, knowing fully well what I was getting myself into, but I don't know what to think. Fuck.

Help?

EDIT: I've also seen the mercy rule "Flip a coin. Heads, Pokemon lives. Tails, it dies." I don't know. Seems like it goes against what Nuzlocke is to me.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 03-06-2012 at 11:44 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #128
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

:< I'd do the mercy rule because doing a Nuzlocke with only one pokemon is hard, let alone on Black and White version. If you really feel like it's not the same, I wouldn't mind if you streamed another nuzlocke on a different version. Or you could take the real long and hard route and actually try to play through the nuzlocke with only Herdier, training it again and again til you're strong enough to go to new routes and catch more pokes.

RIP Inner Flame and Femshep, you guys are gone but not forgotten

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #129
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Altaria

Doubleposting because I felt that I shouldn't mix my and Deo's nuzlocke in the same post...

I now present comic #2! Don't point out the severely numerous flaws because I already see all of them whenever I read the darn thing and they shall torment me forever x_x

Is it me, or does Imgur lower the quality on my pics although that should be impossible because it's already the lowest it can get? Everything looks all grainy...

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #130
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just finished reading the Livestream channel chat log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I need your help guys.
You lost. I mean, it wouldn't be much of a challenge if everyone could win every time, right?

But then again, you haven't lost yet. You still have a Level 16 Herdier. With proper effort training in Attack and Speed. With Work Up. With good moves like Bite and the new-era STAB Tackle. This is doable, even if you didn't want your adventure to be one without Oshawott. It's up to you to decide whether you're willing to press on without her or not.

I hate to imagine the Nuzlocke comic to the adventure where you press on without her though. >_>;

Cheren: Where's your starter, Hiero?
Bianca: Yes! Where's Oshawott? ^-^
Hiero: She's, uh .......... she's dead.
Cheren: ........
Bianca: ....................... ;.;
Hiero: -.-; , yeaaaaaaah, look guys, I don't wanna--
Cheren: You got your Pokemon killed ... before you even got past the first gym?
Hiero: HEY! Technically she didn't die until AFTER the first gym, alright? And would it kill you to--
Bianca: OSHYPOO~! ;.;

^_^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #131
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I just finished reading the Livestream channel chat log.

You lost. I mean, it wouldn't be much of a challenge if everyone could win every time, right?

But then again, you haven't lost yet. You still have a Level 16 Herdier. With proper effort training in Attack and Speed. With Work Up. With good moves like Bite and the new-era STAB Tackle. This is doable, even if you didn't want your adventure to be one without Oshawott. It's up to you to decide whether you're willing to press on without her or not.

I hate to imagine the Nuzlocke comic to the adventure where you press on without her though. >_>;

Cheren: Where's your starter, Hiero?
Bianca: Yes! Where's Oshawott? ^-^
Hiero: She's, uh .......... she's dead.
Cheren: ........
Bianca: ....................... ;.;
Hiero: -.-; , yeaaaaaaah, look guys, I don't wanna--
Cheren: You got your Pokemon killed ... before you even got past the first gym?
Hiero: HEY! Technically she didn't die until AFTER the first gym, alright? And would it kill you to--
Bianca: OSHYPOO~! ;.;

^_^;
TT_TT

Femshep, you will be mourned. We'll keep your body away from Mozz.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #132
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
Doubleposting because I felt that I shouldn't mix my and Deo's nuzlocke in the same post...

I now present comic #2! Don't point out the severely numerous flaws because I already see all of them whenever I read the darn thing and they shall torment me forever x_x

Is it me, or does Imgur lower the quality on my pics although that should be impossible because it's already the lowest it can get? Everything looks all grainy...

It is because you made it a JPG. Make it a PNG, and it does not do that.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #133
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Normally, I'm not a fan of Pokémon fan fiction. (Or fan fiction in general, really.) But when it's done well, then that's different. And this was done pretty damn well.

It's hard to say whether I preferred the first half or the second half. In the first half, it felt more like a "truer" parody of the games. He wasn't inventing his own story, and only on occasion was he tweaking characters' personalities (e.g. Mr. Briney) or their very existences (e.g. Wally) or the events of the world (e.g. breaking down the barrier that separates Rustboro from Verdantuff in the cave with all the Whismurs). In the second half, he started to create his own fan fictional universe within his Nuzlocke, what with Archie and May's transformations, what with the depiction of the conflict in Sootopolis, what with how battles actually play out. I liked both halves, as both were done well and they both had something to offer. If I had to pick, I guess I'd say I liked the first half more? ^^; But I liked both halves. And certainly, it's in the second half that you find the most epic and memorable scenes of the entire comic.

RIKISHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! ;_;

Also, I absolutely loved the scene with the army of Zigzagoons in Sootopolis in Part 23. They're just so cute! >.<

Some of the things I didn't like included, and were not limited to:
  • how he had his Pokémon dying but only the occasional enemy Pokémon, most memorably when he sliced Kyogre in half. (And I didn't really care for that either, considering -- no offense -- getting me to believe that a Sceptile would be powerful enough to slice a Kyogre down the middle is a hard sell.) This was most notable with May. He had her Torchic dying ... but then only "almost" dying ... and then later, in Sootopolis, he had her retiring from being a trainer because, and I quote, "I can't even begin to imagine what it's like, losing one of [my Pokémon]." Uhh ... but you did. (Or very nearly did.) And you even did what you did to the hero specifically because you wanted him to realize the pain he was causing others too. So, uhh ... retcon much? ^^;
  • how Brobat's visual depiction was itself a constant Internet meme in my face. >_> Most of the other memes he referenced were cute (e.g. when he caught Magnemite or when he raged after seeing his third Zigzagoon post-losing the squad to May), but the Brobat one ... it annoyed me greatly. =\
Still ...

This is a must-read for any fan of the Pokémon video games, I'd say, and it's definitely a must-save in my book. Thank you for sharing this with us!

P.S. You draw a hell of a lot better than this guy does, so craft a fun story around your Nuzlocke and you're good to go.

Last edited by Talon87; 03-07-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #134
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
LOL DID YOU EXPECT A NUZLOCKE CUZ I DONT HAVE ONE~

It is currently being drawn right now though! In the meanwhile, I'll leave some other nuzlockes for you to read~ They're personally my fave ones, and I strive to make mine as cool as theirs!

*proceeds to procrastinate as she reads all these again*

Landwalker's Sapphire? Nuzlocke (completed)

Landwalker's Yellow Nuzlocke (in progress)

Ky-Nim's Diamond Nuzlocke (completed)

Ky-Nim's White Nuzlocke (ongoing)

Alexial's Emerald Nuzlocke (ongoing)

Petty Artist's Leaf Green Nuzlocke (completed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
> no Freddie's Nuzlocke, the greatest Nuzlocke ever

;; Freddie is awesome

So very very awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderKetsu View Post
You're forgetting Hale's.
Hale's got a Platinum run going under the name of Bern. It's pretty cool too.

Also, can't forget about these from Nonparael:

Pearl Nuzlocke (completed)

Black Nuzlocke (completed)

Soul Silver Game of Chance Nuzlocke (ongoing)

Leaf Green Moemon Nuzlocke (ongoing)
Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #135
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Altaria

>You draw a heck of a lot better than this guy does

>you draw a heck of a lot better

>better

;o; You really think so? I think he colors very nicely and knows how to do perspectives way better than I do. He also SHADES and does action scenes too...

You're welcome though! I know this one's one of my top fave Nuzlockes~

:D Garydos is THE most awesome Gyarados to ever live. Rikishi's death made me tear up again ;_;

I hope I'm able to give my pokemon personalities and make as memorable as these guys. As for making up a good story, this is gonna be mighty difficult @_@

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Old 03-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #136
Talon87
時の彼方へ

He does do perspectives better than you, I'll agree, but his drawings for the most part look like hasty scribbles with hasty colorings-in. Yours look far more polished (for better [yay polish!] or for worse [you'll probably take a lot longer to update than you would if you followed his lead ...]).

He also pulled off the personalities reasonably well, but they were pretty limited. That Freddy character goes the full other direction -- he develops personalities almost to the exclusion of all else and (frankly) most of them are off-putting. Landwalker's personalities, while less developed, were for the most part diverse and interesting. Like, the part with Marill the HM Slave near the cycling bridge? That was awesome. lol Or like, when Rikishi saw Ninio fully-evolved for the first time and was all " ", that was awesome too. I don't think this is hard to do -- you just have to make a conscious effort at doing it, and (unlike Freddy) you have to be careful to not overdo it. A dash of salt, not a cup. ^^;
Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #137
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
The name actually came from the fact that the guy who pioneered the challenge characterized his Nuzleaf as John Locke from LOST.
Why has John Locke from LOST become more awesome than actual John Locke? ;_; neeeuuuuu needs fixins

And I'm just nuzlockin' away.

Level 12 Turtwig - unnamed because feeling uncreative. That'll change when I hit the Name Rater and his name will always have been what I named him.
Level 10 Krickitune - Captain Funk
Level 10 Shinx - PokeHunter
Level 8 Starly - RanboDash

Shut up there are only so many letters >.< I was gonna do Fluttershy but then I was like:

Watch the whims flood in. Anyway, that is no Fluttershy, hurr durr. Hence Dash.

Planning on manifesting all 6 poneez on the game but we'll see how that goes ^_^ I'm not going to actually go Nuzlockey until the 1st gym is beaten because I'm just that bad XD but I'll return to Sandgem to collect my Nuzlocke joy.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #138
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Why has John Locke from LOST become more awesome than actual John Locke? ;_; neeeuuuuu needs fixins.
Shuckle, most people in America (I can't speak for other countries) don't even know who the real John Locke is. Probably owes a lot to good ol' American ignorance.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #139
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

The original John Locke sucked balls, so it wasn't that hard.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #140
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I forgot to mention this the other day, but ... rose-tinted lenses and whatnot, I was surprised to rediscover while reading Landwalker's Nuzlocke comic that all the bad guys had Poochyenas constantly. That's pretty ass. Now admittedly, the villains in previous games hadn't been much better (TR always with the Muks, Zubats, Koffings, and Ekanses), but still. They've definitely improved as the generations have rolled on, and so this is one thing I certainly hope they'll fix if they do in fact decide to go back and do remakes of or sequels to Gen 3 at some point. Give Team Aqua a bunch of Water-type Pokémon (as well as other things too, if possible! >_<) and go ahead and give Team Magma a bunch of Fire-types and Ground-types. Or better yet, just give them diverse teams period.

Then again, even in Gen 5 GameFreak showed us that they still haven't quite learned yet -- remember all the Patrats and Meerhogs we saw Team Plasma constantly using? -- so who knows. Maybe we're doomed to another Poochyena-packed adventure.

The Poochyena problem definitely makes me hesitant about replaying Gen 3. That's probably silly of me, though, considering just how many non-Aqua/Magma trainers there are in the game. Still, I really enjoyed the plot and the (western) geography, so ...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #141
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

>Gen III villains almost exclusively using Poochy

The first seven panels of this Hale comic illustrate it perfectly.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #142
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I'm going to be starting up a Nuzlocke on Heart Gold with the standard rules. Names are always welcome.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #143
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

So after a somewhat one-sided conversation with Daisy, I've decided to restart my Diamondlocke...before it's too laaaaaaaaate~

Daisy is tracking her EV's, and I found that to be a splendid idea. It'll be a touch rough, but I think it'll be a good indicator of personality and gives me a modicum of control over my dessssstineeeeeee.

And yay for nuzcomics rekindling interest on UPN!Nuzlocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
The original John Locke sucked balls, so it wasn't that hard.
I thought he was okay, I don't know about you. Anyone who sets the stage for democratic forms of government is automatically incorporated into the American umbrella of "good guys". Except Columbus; Columbus was a dickhead who doesn't deserve jack squat, much less an actual holiday. Very un-democratic exploitation of defenseless [Native] Americans...

Anyway, Daisy has a lot planned for her next comic so get ready for some brainsplosions as you meet the horrible Mr. Scrooge Nuzlocke~ Scourge of all that is cheerful and ponylike in the world!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #144
phoopes
Double Dragon

I wish I had the artistic talent to draw a Nuzlocke comic... speaking of Nuzlockes, probably none of you remember the B/W one I started doing a while ago. Well... update: Everyone (cba to tell you Pokemon and names) dies at the hands of Ghetsis.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #145
deoxys
Fog Badge

phoopes I'm so sorry

but you got so far D:

I'm thinking I'm going to pick back up with herdier and show this fucking game that I don't take shit from it and get a munna and then beat the fuck out of it
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #146
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
Started an Emerald Nuzlocke.

Current team is a level 15 Treecko and a level 11 Beautifly.
Just beat Roxanne.
2 mons dead, a poochyena, who died after 5 minutes, and a silcoon, who was sadly killed by poisoning.

Any suggestions for names or whatnot welcome.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #147
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

yaaaaay nuzlocke

Currently, I am avoiding SCAR my rival like the plague. Twurt and Velostar(raptor lol) are a little delayed developmentally and I want to give them all the chance I can before my first battle with my rival.

I wish I could name my starter something cool like Supernova T_T
Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #148
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos

Just a friendly reminder for you Nuzlocke folks playing RSE.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #149
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post

Just a friendly reminder for you Nuzlocke folks playing RSE.
Challenge accepted.

Once I get there anyway. This could take a while.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #150
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
inb4 Haymez wipes

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON