UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 04-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
GEEWUN ANIME REMAKE

Remember how everyone said Pokemon: Ze Origins was supposed to be a remake of G1? Well, it wasn't really a remake of G1, it was an adaption of FR/LG, which itself was a remake of RBY. We haven't had a remake of the Indigo League in the Pokemon anime proper before.

Until now. GAH.

Pokemon, I Choose You!

There are some cool scenes in this, but like ZE ORIGINS it also follows an annoying retcon of shoehorning new species and characters into the past, like implanted false memories, as a way of clearing out some of the introduced plot-holes brought about by adding new species and characters in the first place.

Spoiler: show
Misty/Brock fans on suicide watch. I just got a new Prozac prescription refilled, it's Friday and I'm ready to OD!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Remember how everyone said Pokemon: Ze Origins was supposed to be a remake of G1? Well, it wasn't really a remake of G1, it was an adaption of FR/LG, which itself was a remake of RBY. We haven't had a remake of the Indigo League in the Pokemon anime proper before.

Until now. GAH.
No one said they wanted Origins to be a "remake" of the games. (You appear to be using the term "remake" to mean "Same setting, new plot and possibly also new characters".) The vast majority of fans, both here on UPN and abroad in places like YouTube, Reddit, and other Pokémon forums, everyone was stoked at the prospect of a game-faithful adaptation; was delighted by how faithful Origins was; was dismayed by how unfaithful it could be at times (e.g. the introduction of Gen 6's Mega Stones); and was super bummed by how short it was. The universal complaint with Origins was, "Not long enough. WE NEED MOAR!" No one told Origins to get lost or that it didn't deliver on fan desires. Everyone begged it for an encore.

As for this movie, this is the first I've heard that it will be shown on roadshow. That usually means that it won't be shown in most theaters, and that few to none of them will show the film for most of the summer. That's historic, as up until last year every Pokémon film to date has been shown in Japanese theaters nationwide afaik. They've never been relegated to roadshow deals the way that so many other (non-mainstream) anime movies are.

I don't like how Ash appears to already have his Kalos or Alola personality out of the gate. That chipper, never-get-me-down attitude. "You can electrocute me all you like and I'll still smile at you and hold out my hand in friendship." The Kanto Ash would never do that. So you're absolutely right when you say that this is a "remake" (as in, they're making fundamental changes to the plot and to the characters themselves).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:12 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
No one said they wanted Origins to be a "remake" of the games. (You appear to be using the term "remake" to mean "Same setting, new plot and possibly also new characters".) The vast majority of fans, both here on UPN and abroad in places like YouTube, Reddit, and other Pokémon forums, everyone was stoked at the prospect of a game-faithful adaptation; was delighted by how faithful Origins was; was dismayed by how unfaithful it could be at times (e.g. the introduction of Gen 6's Mega Stones); and was super bummed by how short it was. The universal complaint with Origins was, "Not long enough. WE NEED MOAR!" No one told Origins to get lost or that it didn't deliver on fan desires. Everyone begged it for an encore.
Most fans wanted a game-faithful anime because they were frustrated with the direction the actual anime went. It's just an extension of artist worship, "source is superior" mentality that has dominated anime fandoms for decades. You see it in everything from Fullmetal Alchemist to Fate/stay night where the flaws of the original work are brushed under the table compared to the sins committed by the anime original material. You see in in the critics of movies like Dragonball Evolution and Ghost in the Shell, where change itself becomes a strawman by fans to object against what really are merely bad/unnecessary changes. This past season even had a lot of tension between people who read the original Youjo Senki novels and had the tendency to shill for it over the much better anime.

I don't think I'm wrong saying that people wanted Origins to be an adaption of G1 versus G3 which was what it was actually of. That might seem like splitting hairs given how close the RBY/FRLG plots compare, but it wouldn't be wrong to suggest wanted inclusion of what the ShoPro anime did right and avoidance of what they did wrong.

Like the expanded mentor role of Brock in Origins, something definitely inspired from the original anime, was welcome. Or Red turning his hat backwards which is whatever (I actually don't remember this happening in Origins proper).

Origins was also not a matter of people simply wanting cool scenes from the games adapted, because that's what Generations did (and I considered that superior) but the positive sentiment didn't carry over. Yet, I see nothing but longing for a full-length Origins despite the obvious, that it's going to be repetitive and boring with Red capturing a new member of the 150 every day, if not multiples in a day, and random battle against archetype mooks. Did we forget just how much of an indistinct grind the G1/G3 games are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I don't like how Ash appears to already have his Kalos or Alola personality out of the gate. That chipper, never-get-me-down attitude. "You can electrocute me all you like and I'll still smile at you and hold out my hand in friendship." The Kanto Ash would never do that. So you're absolutely right when you say that this is a "remake" (as in, they're making fundamental changes to the plot and to the characters themselves).
Didn't Ash always have that personality? At least, I watched the sub of Episode 1 and he felt as hot-blooded as ever, although that was not his only setting.

Anyway, the reason Kalos/Alola Ash never gets depressed is because he's constantly surrounded by beautiful women. It's freaking true! In BW, the best he got was Iris, and while Iris was a good physical match for him she had an old man personality which was a major turn-off.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I don't think anyone disliked gen1 anime, truly. The direction it took, while strange, is very classic and iconic. And who would give up Jessie and James?

But Gen1 had a VERY timeless story to be told, and many of us grew up on discovering it. Ash did not deliver on that story which is why people want a genwun anime.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

it's gonna be an alternate timeline, cus Marshadow and Ho-Oh bullshit

Or maybe Dialga will be involved, since Piplup + Lucario = Gen 4 remakes confirmed

On the one hand the idea of a retcon with all Pokemon gens from the get-go (ie. Ash battling an Incineroar trainer right in the beginning of his journey) sounds appealing, but on the other hand, retconning out his entire canon history and entire characters would be fucking stupid

This is either going to be not canon (like all Pokemon movies except Mewtwo Strikes Back) or it will be an alt timeline
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:02 AM   #6
Torkoal Stu
This

At least if they were going to do this alternate Ash timeline stuff they could have picked more inspired Pokémon to shove in. Piplup? Lucario? Incineroar? I know it's because they're popular but come on~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON