UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Statting Mazinger Z

I was watching the trailer for the new Mazinger Z movie and it hit me that Mazinger Z is basically wearing the Team Rocket uniform. Exchange the red fins for a giant R, and the Hover Pilder for a giant Pokeball, and you're looking at one of James' mecha of mass destruction.

Mazinger Z is pretty interesting because it has four moves, like Pokemon do, and all of them easily fit within the RPG framework of the franchise:

Rocket Punch (Steel/Physical)
Breast Fire (Fire/Special)
Photon Beam (Normal/Special)
Rust Hurricane (Poison/Physical)

You maybe could use Thunder Break (Electric/Special) as Z-Move. I mean, it's perfect. The item held is SUPER ALLOY Z.

Given this, I tried to stat Mazinger Z on the Pokemon scale of things. How powerful would this guy be? Super robots are kind of slow, relative to "real" robots, but then on the wiki I saw this stat:

Running speed: 360 km/hr

For comparison, Rapidash runs 240 km/hr. That's 50% faster. That would put Mazinger's speed tier at either 157 or 158, which is in the top 1% of Pokemon. Only Ninjask and Deoxys Speed are faster, and this is what I imagined as Mazinger's worst stat!

Height: 18 m
Tallest Pokemon: Wailord (14 m)

Weight: 40000 lbs
Heaviest Pokemon: Primal Groudon (2204.4 lbs)

Note that Mazinger also has the ability to lift a maximum of 150 tons at any time. That means that it can throw Primal Groudons like Ash does Pokeballs.

So, I'm reading up on the best ways to make up benchmarks for Mazinger, and I'll list 'em here and give approximates for the attack powers too. Mazinger is pretty tame by super robot standards but it's already clear this guy would be an unholy terror in the Pokemon universe, completely unstoppable and destructive.

HP
Attack
Defense
Sp. Attack
Sp. Defense
Speed: 158
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I used Skarmory as a proxy for Mechanical Beasts, as it's a Steel-type and is "hollow" on the inside to facilitate flying.

Most of Mazinger's attacks I've used as double-strength versions of other powerful moves:

Photon Beam: 300 Power (double strength Hyper Beam)
Breast Fire: 240 Power (double strength Fire Blast)
Rocket Punch: 200 Power (double strength Iron Tail)

A +5 Mega Metagross with this double-strength Iron Tail will OHKO Skarmory. Since STAB is factored in, I would then guess Mazinger's attack stat to be at 405, and his Sp. Attack at 473, because Mazinger's special is higher than his physical and he relies in the STAB to come close in damage to the others.

So,

HP
Attack 405
Defense
Sp. Attack 473
Sp. Defense

That same attack (Rocket Punch) did damage to Mazinger Z in Shin, but not significantly. Mega Metagross would take 6 hits to KO a max defense, +6 Skarmory, so we can conservatively estimate the defense stat at 1530.

HP
Attack 405
Defense 1530
Sp. Attack 473
Sp. Defense

Special Defense I dunno? Rust Hurricane could hurt Mazinger in the show. It has powerful defense but not a lot of bulk or speed. So I would imagine the Special Defense to be a lot lower, as would the HP.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So what I got

HP 104
Attack 405
Defense 1530
Sp. Attack 473
Sp. Defense 1020

Mazinger Z is able to tank a Breast Fire without being destroyed, and Fire is the main weakness of Steel types. So I used Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, scaled up to 240 Power, on a critical against +6 max Sp.D Metagross. The HP stat comes from the average of several big Pokemon and the most mecha-like: Mega Ray, Wailord, Steelix and Skarmory.

Mega Charizard Y's super Fire Blast will KO Mazinger 87% of the time, which is acceptable I think. So the final stats seem to be divided into three distinct categories:

Believable: HP, Speed
Unbelievable: Attack, Special Attack
Ridokulus: Defense, Special Defense

The power scale for the attacks isn't out of nowhere either. Mazinger shoots Photon Beam with both eyes and Breast Fire with both fins, and both attacks have huge AoE. So they'd be 100% accurate on top of being hugely destructive.

How would you stop this? It would have to be gimmicks because it's so powerful. Like Shedinja or FEAR Aron. Rust Hurricane might be the weakest attack here with something like a 140 Power that causes 100% burn (as would Breast Fire). But it's all offense as Mazinger relies on outrageous defense and resistances to tank attacks.

I don't see any Pokemon that could go toe-to-toe with it in a traditional bout. Ghost/Steel would eat the Photon Beams and resist the Rocket Punch and Rust Hurricane, but almost be totally destroyed by Breast Fire. Which is how things rolled in the show!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-07-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON