UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #76
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
THE WOOD OX 192S AND 1985

Understanding and fair, these are the least unyielding of the Oxen and the most apt to change and accept new ideas. A more liberal attitude gives them the ability to appreciate the value of being a part of a team, and other members of the team respect the high principles of the Wood Ox. They are particularly self-confident giving them an air of unspoken authority. This characteristic means that Wood Oxen are often chosen as leaders or spokespeople. They also have a shorter fuse than other Ox people, and are more likely to be outspoken or to stand up in a crowd to be heard. These Oxen are quite devoted to those they love and make strong and affectionate friends and relations.
Wow this is pretty much me. >.>; Except for the "more apt to change and accept new ideas" part.

Quote:
SAGITTARIAN OX

These Oxen have Sagittarian vision. They are born with luck and are prone to take unnecessary risks. They are quick to read a situation and use their talents to accumulate great wealth and status.
YESSSSSSSS

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #77
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Cancerian Fire Ox.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #78
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I was making a bronyism joke. >_>

And theres no contradiction there. According to stuff I read earlier today, everyone is the lens overlay of three different animals. There's your year animal, there's your 2-hour-window animal, and there's the animal you most want to be. You're supposed to look at all the positive attributes for those three animals and weight most heavily the ones which all three of them have; similarly, if all three animals have a particular vice, then so do you. (So sayeth the astrologists, anyway.) So like ... Deoxys, you're neither a horse nor a sheep but are instead a Horse+Sheep+____ (whatever you most like), and you're meant to do the Venn diagram of all three animals and look to the center where all three overlap.

Not trying to be hard on you, but you could have easily found this information for yourself. chinesezodiac.com, I think, was the name of the site I read it on. Was one of the very first Google hits, right below Wikipedia. Have a question? Look it up! That's how the people who answer your questions do it.

EDIT: Wrote the above from my phone. This edit's from a computer. Here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesezodiac.com
To make this easier to understand, the animal representing your birth year determines the “outer” you. The animal representing your birth month determines your “inner” you; the person you wish you could be. And the animal representing your time of birth determines your “secret” you; the person you are but that you prevent the rest of the world from knowing about.
Their argument seems to be that everyone has three animals:
  • the year animal is what people superficially think you act like (e.g. people meet you and think "Man, he's such a tiger!" and then find out "Holy cow! He is a Tiger! He was born in the Year of the Tiger!")
  • the desired animal is what it sounds like: it's what you aspire to be
  • the 2-hour-window animal is this so-called "secret" animal that represents your true self
This seems to suggest that it's less important to know what year you were born in and that it's more important to know what 2-hour window you were born in. But it gets complicated. See ...
  • What happens for babies who are born right on the 2-hour mark? How do you know if the hospital's clock isn't too fast or too slow?
  • According to ChineseZodiac.com, you're not even supposed to use the time on the clock: you're supposed to use the position of the sun in the sky. This means your birth certificate is only helpful as a stepping stone, not a final destination, in trying to determine your secret animal. All the time of birth printed on there is going to tell you is what you need to type into Google to figure out the position of the sun at that time on that date at the location you were born in.
  • Seeing as the Chinese Zodiac was calibrated for ancient China, so to speak, does that mean you should use the position of the sun in China at the time of your birth? (And if so, where in China?) Or is it more important to worry about where the sun was in the sky at the location you were born? (And if that's the case, wouldn't that fuck with things if, say, you were born in the Southern Hemisphere and all the constellations were different on that day to what they were in the northern hemisphere?)
On and on the list goes. Obviously, we return to what Dr. Sheldon Cooper said (thanks, Rangeet). But so long as you're just having silly fun with this, then whatever, knock yourselves out. I'm just pointing out how ...
  • if you want to really take this seriously, you're going to have to do a hell of a lot of homework
  • chances are pretty good that before all's said and done you're going to find that different methodologies produce for you as many as six different animals (or amalgam of animals) that you might be.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-24-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #79
deoxys
Fog Badge

But I wasn't asking a question, I was just pointing out my two given animals, although the brony joke made a loud whooshing sound as it passed over my head.

Nevertheless, you've provided a handful of interesting facts. Now for what you question in terms of what your secret animal really is, I'd imagine the site initially linked to in the first post probably has the methodology down, seeing as how they ask for the timezone of your birth. Then again, maybe they're wrong.

This is interesting and fun stuff, even if I don't subscribe to the beliefs in astrology (nor will I ever).
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #80
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Water Rooster, bitches.
WATER ROOSTER HI FIVE

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #81
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milotic111 View Post
So are there any cats here?

Also I'm a snake and happy to be one even before I knew about the wisdom thingy. I like snakes.
Cat isn't one of the signs. Tiger is, however.

>Talon

Oh, wow, that sounds very intruging. Or, at least it's a little less complicated than Western astrology (This planet was here, this one was here, this one was over here...).

So, is there a guide for finding your month and hour animal?

EDIT: Found a site which kinda helps with it. But... I'm going to have to find out my birth time, and how that relates to where the sun is. That's tough.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 01-25-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #82
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Quote:
ARIES OX

Aries Oxen are goal-oriented and attain success by persevering. They charge through life and do not let opposition slow them down. In love they are not subtle and like to be the dominant figure in the relationship. Only a strong, trustworthy partner will make this a lasting partnership.
...Huh.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #83
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke_Hunter View Post
...Huh.
What site are you getting this from?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #84
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't know if there's a reliable one, Kind. The site that Loki linked to disagrees with Wikipedia. As Loki pointed out, you could ask two feng shui experts to make a prediction about the same thing and get two very different, even contradictory, answers. Whether Wikipedia's editor(s) got their facts right or whether Loki's site did, I don't know, but the fact of the matter is, Wikipedia argues for the years beginning and ending on certain specific days (ranging from late January to late February) whereas Loki's site seems to make brute force estimates revolving around February 4. I would not be surprised, then, if it gets other aspects wrong as well. 'Cause if it's going to brute force the years for Christ's sake, then I don't put much stock in its estimate of where the sun was in the sky at the hour of your birth.

And like I mentioned earlier: this whole business really does fall apart when you consider that the source of Chinese astrology, like Western astrology, are the positions of the planets and the stars in the sky at night -- and that you're going to see a completely different set of constellations in the southern hemisphere than you are in the northern hemisphere! So like, any of these sites -- Loki's, Wikipedia's, whichever! -- might claim that June 20, 1984 was an auspicious date because the heavenly bull passed through the lasso and escaped over the river, symbolizing that you will defeat your enemies in adulthood ... only for you to discover that since you were born in Perth, Australia and not Hong Kong, China that you saw no such bull in the sky that night and that instead you saw the princess fleeing from the serpent, indicating that you (a girl) or some other important girl in your life (if a boy) will be hounded by evil. Or something.

Whether you want to put stock in astrology or not, one thing is certain: you're probably not going to get your profile correctly assessed by some drop-down menu thing hosted on what looks like a Geocities site nor are you going to get it just by looking at some Wikipedia article. There's too much shit to consider ...
  • what color was the moon? (white? yellow? blue? red?)
  • was the moon waxing or waning? new or full?
  • was there a solar/lunar eclipse during your exact moment of birth? on the day of your birth?
  • what all constellations were in the sky that night?
  • how did the planets and "mobile stars" interact with the "fixed stars" of the constellations?
  • how good was visibility that night?
  • if born during the day, do you put more stock in the previous night's sky or in that night's sky? Do you go to the one which is closer to your time or birth or does that not matter?
  • does it mean something if you're born at sunrise? at sunset? Does it mean something if you're born at the exact moment that the first sliver of light appears over the horizon or at the exact moment that the last sliver of light disappears beneath it?
  • was it raining or windy at the time of your birth? was it a gentle rain or a violent storm?
  • were there signs which would seem to go together? (like, say, a tiger that had escaped from the local zoo was calmly looking at your family while your mom gave birth to you on the night you were born and it turns out that you're a triple tiger?) (more realistically, say you were born a Rat and on the night of your birth your wise Chinese astrologist grandma witnessed a snake devour a rat. Would that be an omen that you're going to be metaphorically devoured by a Snake?)
  • which direction is the wind blowing in that night?
  • were you born high in the mountains? low on land? on the sea?
So on and so on and so forth. For people who take astrology seriously, there are just so many things to consider that it's really pointless to be like, "Where can I find a good site online that'll get my profile right? " 'Cause quite simply, no one who is going to do this thorough of a job is going to do it for a stranger free of charge. Either they'll do it for family free of charge (in which case it pays to have a Chinese grandma astrologist) or else they'll do it for strangers for a fee.

Not to mention that, if you want to be super anal retentive about this, it's pretty much "too late" to get your fortune told if the astrologist wasn't there the night of your birth. Why? Because only they are likely to have noticed any of the possible signs which they'll claim influence your horoscope. Your mom, your dad, doctors, neighbors, whoever else, these folks aren't likely to remember much of anything beyond what time of day it was and where you were born. In before "NO, YOU'RE WRONG, TALON! " from someone who takes this very seriously. But that's just my 2˘. From the Chinese astrology I've seen in films or read in books, it's, uh, pretty important to have a scholar on site if you want an accurate prediction.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #85
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
As Loki pointed out, you could ask two feng shui experts to make a prediction about the same thing and get two very different, even contradictory, answers.
I wouldn't say contradictory, but definitely different.

For example, if someone asked what two numbers adds up to 4, someone can say 1+3, someone else say 2+2, or 0+4, etc. None are wrong, just different.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #86
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Okay, fair enough. Not contradictory, then, but still also not very helpful. It'd be like saying someone says "You're smart, so you must be the combination of these three smart animals" and somebody else saying "You're smart, so you must be the combination of these three animals" and the two lists only have one or even zero animals in common.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #87
Selena
Aroma Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Cat isn't one of the signs. Tiger is, however.
You fail to see what I was hinting at.

The cat got cheated out of the zodiac by the rat I believe. Some people still use the cat instead of the rat (at least during a Chinese lesson this was pointed out by my teacher so disregard if she was talking nonsense, although Okami seems to agree).

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #88
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milotic111 View Post
You fail to see what I was hinting at.

The cat got cheated out of the zodiac by the rat I believe. Some people still use the cat instead of the rat (at least during a Chinese lesson this was pointed out by my teacher so disregard if she was talking nonsense, although Okami seems to agree).
Oh, I know about the legend of the rat tricking the cat out of their spot. But I've never heard of someone using the cat instead of the rat. :/
Quote:
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #89
Talon87
時の彼方へ

According to Wikipedia, the Vietnamese use a cat instead of a rabbit. The Thais use an elephant in place of a pig. Other animal changes (Viet water buffalo, Japanese boar) are marginal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc