UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
satosere
Cascade Badge

Karate Kid

Anyone like this movie? Just watched it. Literally so awesome. What's your favorite part?
Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's a classic from the '80s. I don't know that I can pick any one scene and call it my favorite. The overall relationship between Mr. Miyagi and Daniel is beautiful, and many of the scenes where Miyagi is either teaching Daniel philosophy or else is sharing with him some private details about his past would rank up there as the very best scenes in the movie. Then of course you have the tournament at the end of the film ... And of course everyone loves the training montage with the famous flying kick stance on top of that wooden column at the beach ...

The movie's certainly aged -- or perhaps it's more accurate to say, we've aged, we've changed as we've pulled away from the time in which this movie was produced. I think it can sometimes be a bit too boring for modern audiences (particularly young ones), and it's easy to predict that Pat Morita's portrayal of a Japanese immigrant might come across as racist in the eyes of many Tumblr types. But what saves the film at the end of the day is the undeniable purity of heart it has underlying every scene. You can tell that they were really setting out to tell a pure-hearted story for a pure-hearted audience, and I think that's been part of the film's appeal for the past thirty years.

Audiences back in the day vastly preferred the first film in the series to all that followed, with its origin story for Daniel and its heavy focus on karate. But as a young adult, a friend recommended I give the second film a try, in spite of the many reviews expressing disappointment with the film. So I did check it out ... and by God, it's easily the best film in the franchise -- provided you know anything about the politics and culture that form the cornerstone of the film's plot. That's the thing: most children and most Americans wouldn't know about these things and so would be expected to find the film disappointing compared with the first one. But if you know anything about the issues at hand in Movie 2 and if you're an adult with adult tastes and interests, then I think the second movie is worth any fan of the first film's time to check out.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:13 AM   #3
satosere
Cascade Badge

You explain things so well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment