UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Gaming Predictions for 2013

Hello and once again it is a new year, which means new predictions! Before we jump into predictions for this year, lets take a look at all of the predictions made last year's thread from everyone and see what came to be and what didn't! Due to it's long nature, it is all spoiled here:

Spoiler: show
Deo's Predictions
Microsoft

- Next Xbox announced at E3, will be available in Fall 2013. Integrated Kinect 2, includes smell-o-vision, and can even brew your coffee and tell all of your Live friends what temperature you brewed it at, and how much creamer you added. IE10 built in, everyone is sad NOPE

- Halo 4 will be out in the Fall, with a beta in the summer, will be a completely new start for the series. Covenant vehicles and weapons are ditched altogether, story focuses on Master Chief as a person struggling to keep sane and not a faceless superhuman. The story is Lost on a galactic scale, 4 8 15 16 23 42, etc Partly true, but nothing we didn't know before.

- Somehow, Gears of War isn't dead. GEARS OF WAR JUDGMENT WAS INDEED ANNOUNCED AT E3

- Once again, Halo 3 is shafted from a PC release. And it will never see the light of day on one, either, save an emulator.

- Rumors that Windows 8 can allow for play of Xbox 360 games turn out to be true, but won't be integrated until an update in 2013, just in time for the next system. PC gamers everywhere collectively pass out from the sheer amount of insane, keep the 360 market quite alive akin to the PS2 staying alive throughout the PS3's lifespan. Well, nothing wrong with wishful thinking, right?

- 360 owners are pissed at the news.

- Sony is also pissed at the news.

- Nintendo pretty much ignores it and continues doing whatever it is Nintendo does.

- PC gaming continues to pick up steam as graphics cards become more affordable and the market continues to expand. Third parties will stop shafting PC releases and realize there is money to be had. Partly true. New cards came out, the previous high end went down in price. Third parties are iffy on the PC but a lot seem to be giving it a bit more attention than before. Unless your name is Rockstar.

- Xboy. Microsoft takes advantage of Vita and 3DS's poor sales, announces it with a Halo game or something, as well as Live support with 4G, but not from AT&T as to avoid all of the boos Sony got when they said Vita was going to be. It'll be T-Mobile, everyone says "What the fuck?". UI looks like every other fugly Microsoft UI post 2010's 'Windows Phone' look. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA

OVERALL SCORE: 3/7

Sony

- PS4 teased at E3, will be out in 2013 to compete with Xbox Whatever. It would have been a year later, but Microsoft and Sony are scared of the Wii U. False.

- The Last of Us shows that Naughty Dog continues to really, really like to come up with crazy environments and then build a story around them, just because ooh god shiny. There will probably be an underwater city with huge whales ohwaitbioshockdidthat er there will probably be some kind of village in the himalayas ohwaituncharteddidthat hmmm. Regardless, it's a good game, but not the true survival zombie apocalypse game everyone is getting their hopes up over just like they did with Dead Island. Ehh.

- Modnation Racers 2 or something Well, LBP Karting came out...?

- Vita is actually pretty cool, but bombs in the US almost as hard as the 3DS did. Bingo! Vita is doing *terrible* in sales, with Persona 4 Golden being it's only real flagship title in terms of sales. Meanwhile, 3DS has picked up significant speed.

- LBP 3

- Move oh yeah uh we should probably do something with that and drop the price too

OVERALL SCORE: 1.5/4

Nintendo

- Wii Fit 3, now with a heart monitor! Wii Fit U.

- 3DS starts not sucking more. This is entirely subjective, but the overall verdict seems to be that the good stuff is only just about to come out here in 2013.

- TWEWY 2. That is all. ALMOST HAPPENED! With the iOS release, we were teased at a sequel with a secret new scene.

- Wii U comes out this Fall, even if it needs to be rushed despite the fact that there aren't many games ready for it and Nintendo said the launch will actually be worth it. I dunno about you guys, but this seems pretty apt.

- After having announced it at last year's E3, and having said that there wasn't anything to show for it yet, to please investors, Iwata has been riding Sakurai's ass all year to get Super Smash Bros. Strife and Super Smash Bros. 3D in gear. We'll see trailers or something, with a promise for a 2013 release. Spoiler: It gets delayed to 2014. BZZT

- Metroid? What's that? Other M never happened!

- DKCR2 Nope

- Some kind of Mario shit In other news, apple pies contain apples.

- Pikmin 3 JACKPOT!

- Luigi's Mansion 2 is actually good just like it's predecessor and FUCK YOU IF YOU DON'T AGREE Delayed into 2013

- Earthbound is being remade as a launch title for Wii U, entire trilogy coming stateside

- A new IP is finally fucking announced Does Nintendoland count?

- Mario: Cricket, Mario: Rugby, Mario: Hockey, and Mario: Croquet are all announced, are basically just milking it at this point >implying they weren't already milking Mario

- Pokemon Gray or Rainbow or whatever. Also for 3DS. So close.

- Pokemon Stadium 3 or whatever it is, launching for Wii U

- Nintendo gets desperate, realizes it needs to make a Pokemon MMORPG

- Nintendo stops finally giving a fuck about who kids meet online or whatever and language, opens a legit online system for Wii U

- Steam is coming to Wii U, you heard it here first.

OVERALL SCORE: 6/18

Third Parties

- Mojang's 'Scroll's' is a ploy to toy with microtansactions, the game turns out to be ridiculously broken despite Notch's claims that it won't be because 'he played Magic the Gathering'; People still buy it anyway 'because Notch made it'

- Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Hurricane Clash Revolution Blast 3 is announced (SPOILERS TOBI IS OBITO OH SHI) hue hue hue hue hue hue hue hue hue hue hue hue HUE HUE HUE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

- Dragon Age 3 ANNOUNCEMENT INCOMING. Morigan. Morigan everywhere. Won't suck like DA2. Indeed it was announced, looks like Morrigan's story is probably over, though, oddly. Mai waifu no

- Half Life 3 ANNOUNCEMENT INEVITABLE. Valve has come out and said any speculation of a Half Life Episode 3 was false and it isn't in the works at this time or some such, but Gaben pulls a fast one and reveals HL3, says they never lied because HL3 != HL:E3. Problem? This isn't even funny to joke about anymore.

- A Homestuck game is announced, takes place between Act I and End of Act 4

- Shenmue 3 oh wait nope sorry that's already dead again.

- Sonic Generations 2, in some shape or form, because Sega actually was apparently just fucking with us all these years, because Sonic Generations was their way of saying "Goddamn guys this joke is getting old, we're going to be serious again k?"

- Sonic 4: Episode 2 announced, includes Tails. Spoilers: Episode 3 is going to have Knuckles

- Several third parties are shut down, including at least one surprising one and one that people saw coming but didn't really care about because they've only made shitty but well known games for a while now and had it coming. R.I.P. THQ ;_;7

- Call of Duty 9 or whatever fuck the number we're at now takes place in distant future and in outer space. Or during the Revolutionary War. Or BOTH. Was it too obvious?

- Battlefield 2143 is announced. No one is surprised, yawns.

- Guitar Hero. Goddammit.

- THPS reboot isn't as fun as the first because it doesn't have Superman in it's track listing. Not to mention it doesn't carry the nostalgia factor.

- AssCreed 3 is features Desmond and some new guy, and there will inevitably be a mindfuck plot twist yet again. It is probably set during the French Revolution. Or Victorian England. Or the American Revolution. Or Feudal Japan. Or Again, too obvious?

- Hey guys remember DDR neither do I Deader than a door nail with all of these kinect and wii dancing games.

- EndWar 2

- Medal of Honor 2 and everyone looked the other way.

- Final Fantasy 14 I have no idea what you're talking about that didn't happen and never will silly Time for a RETCON!

- E3 is once again nothing new, all sequels and FPS games, "retro" gamers weep Pretty much the worst E3 ever.

OVERALL SCORE: 9.5/19

OH WELP LOOK AT THAT I WAS THE ONLY ONE HAHAHAHA!

And with that out of the way, it's time to look ahead to 2013!

Microsoft

- Next Xbox will not be called Xbox 720 and will either be "Xbox", "Xbox Infinity", or "Xbox 8"

- Next Xbox will be announced prior to E3 as to avoid potentially being drowned out by other news.

- Next Xbox WILL be out by the end of 2013.

- In a stunning turn of events, the Halo series has fallen victim to the CoD syndrome, with MS pushing for Halo 5 to be released as a launch title.

- Bungie's "Destiny" will launch on both 360 and the next Xbox

- "Destiny" is the new Halo, and even has Xbox only specials for players with Halo 2, 3, and Reach experience

- IllumiRoom will come integrated in the new Xbox. Microsoft will play this up as a huge new feature and demonstrate it at E3.

- Microsoft has a surprisingly decent launch lineup for the new Xbox.

- Kinect 2 will be bundled with it.

- Xbox Live overhaul for the new Xbox, Microsoft adds a new Live tier and... who am I kidding, they'll never drop the need for Gold to play online.

- Steve Ballmer makes a "developers" joke at E3

-

Sony

- PS4 will not be called "PS4".

- PS4 will be announced prior to E3 for the same reasons Xbox 3 will be.

- A new and improved Playstation Network is announced

- PS4 will not release until 2014. (taking a bold guess on this one, but I personally think it'll probably be out in 2013 mostly because it *needs* to be).

- PS4 will launch with a new Uncharted game

- PS4 will launch with Infamous 3

- PS4 will have a revamped PS AllStars a la "Super" SF or "Ultimate" MvC3

- PS Move will be completely revamped for PS4, but it doesn't matter seeing how the Move seems to garner no attention anyway as gamers are bored with motion controls

- The Last Guardian is moved over to the PS4.

- Honestly, I don't know. There is a LOT that can happen, and I can't really stab at what might or might not in terms of the PS4. I can say, I think it will probably objectively be the best console this generation yet again and tout 4K as a feature, but not many games will use it seeing as many games still aren't using 1080p.

- Vita gets a price drop, probably just before Pokemon X/Y, sales gradually pick up

- Sony buys at least two third parties this year in an attempt to secure more exclusives against Microsoft

Nintendo

- Metroid 3DS and Wii U.

- Animal Crossing Wii U

- Pokemon Snap Wii U

- Wii U price drop just in time for the holidays, and just in time to conveniently compete with Nextbox/PS4. I'm thinking each model drops by $50, Nintendoland is bundled in the small version, deluxe will get a Mario game

- 3DS XL price drop to $169 by the year end

- NO NEW 3DS MODEL ANNOUNCED AS 3DS XL IS OBJECTIVELY THE BEST THEY CAN DO FOR ONCE

- Bayonetta 2 shown off at E3, Nintendo shows off other newly acquired IPs (I'm gonna guess they acquire something from THQ at the upcoming auction, perhaps Darksiders??)

- Nintendo tries to be more "edgy"

- Smash Bros Kerfuffle teased for a 2014 release on both 3DS and Wii U, will demonstrate how the two will interact + a small teaser for a new character, probably Pac-Man since it's being co-developed by Namco-Bandai. Don't be surprised if you see Naruto or Goku in the game, too (in fact, Goku in Smash Bros would probably be the best thing Nintendo could get out of the Namco partnership)

- Wii U picks up some titles Nextbox/PS4 will get for once, such as Destiny, mayhaps?

Third Parties

- Mass Effect 4 will be confirmed for next gen, but it won't carry the "4"

- Valve's Steambox will be showcased at E3, their version will be affordable and sell decently, but other brand versions will not.

- Half Life 3 showcased for Steambox

- Oculus Rift announced for late 2013/early 2014, preorders will sell out the day they open

- Dragon Age 3 will crash and burn, Bioware developers will collectively feel sick

- GTA V will be runner up for GOTY

- WATCH_DOGS will probably win GOTY and blow everyone's expectations out of the water

- WATCH_DOGS will launch on next gen hardware

- BioShock Infinite... mmmm...

- XCOM will be shit. WHY IS THIS GOING TO BE A FPS, SERIOUSLY. THE FUCK?

- Deadpool will be the best hero game since Arkham City. Speaking of...

- Batman Arkham World will be announced

- THQ games due out will all be delayed by a few months (Metro, CoH, South Park) as they are picked up by other publishers.

- Surprise! Star Trek is a Mass Effect clone and it DOESN'T SUCK!

- Star Wars 1313 will be the first LucasArts game since BF2 to not suck

- Remember Me will be a decent game that everyone glazes right over.

- Battlefield 4 launches on next gen consoles as well as current gen.

- Rainbow 6: Patriots gets delayed into 2014

- Lost Planet 3 will sadly be bad.

- Dark Souls II will be a step backwards for the franchise as it appeals to casuals more.

- "The Phantom Pain" is revealed to be MGS V, will release in 2014

- MGS Ground Zeroes will come to the Wii U, will be out by the year's end.

- DayZ will be good enough to warrant a purchase on it's own, the mod will be ported to Arma 3

- ARMA 3 devs trial takes place, they are found not guilty and return home for good, never to visit Greece again. In fact, they may retire to spend time with their families.

- Star Citizen gets a 2014 release date

- Surprise, The Walking Dead FPS is utter trash

- Meanwhile, The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1 will debut this Summer, picking up right where we left off post-credits.

- FALLOUT 4. IN BOSTON. NEXT GEN.

Alright, I want to see some predictions and discussion. Think any of these listed above will or won't happen? Agree? Disagree? Why or why not? Let's do this.

Last edited by deoxys; 01-16-2013 at 12:54 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't really have very many gaming predictions because I have been so out of the loop. ^^;

Sony:
The Last Guardian is announced for a 2014 "definite" release, with or without half of the original Team Ico staff.

Tecmo-Koei makes a Dynasty Warriors game for the PS Vita.

Nintendo:
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is announced for release in North America, Q4 2013 with probability of being pushed into Q1 or Q2 of 2014.

Ace Attorney 5 is given a specific release date (to within the month) for its release in both Japan and North America. That date for Japan is definitely in 2013 and the promise is kept; but the corresponding date for North America is either in 2014 or else is for 2013 but will be pushed back into 2014.

I do not expect a 3DS or a 3DS XL price drop in 2013. (Final answer.) But if there is one, then I'll at least offer that it's not going to happen until after the October release of Pokémon XY.

Copycatting deoxys (copycatting a lot of fans ), Pokémon Snap is revealed this year. I will kick it up a notch further and specify that it's revealed at E3, not TGS or later. That stated, the game will not see release in 2013 despite being so theoretically simple to code and revealed so early in the year because (official reason) "We're going to include all of the new Pokémon in it! " and because (real behind-the-scenes reason) of the poisonous launch date of Pokémon XY to potential Snap sales -- October. Too close to the summer months for people not to start wanting to save up for XY (thus not buying Snap in June, July, or August) and too close to December such that many kids ask for it for Christmas gift and their cash-strapped parents get it for them (thus not getting them Snap).

Tecmo-Koei unveils Fatal Frame 5 at TGS. It will be coming to the Wii U by year's end or possibly January 2014. They don't unveil it at E3 of course because they don't have any plans to bring it to North America because Reggie sucks dicks when it comes to Fatal Frame. (Sorry, Reginald, but you do. Why didn't you bring Fatal Frame 4 over!? >_< ) Also? The game looks amazing because a horror-survival game where you run around with a camera in your hands the whole time is PERFECT for the Wii U.

Here's a juicy one for you: while Pokémon X & Y do move 1+ million 3DS units, the sales of the games themselves fall short of the record set by Pokémon Black & White, marking the first time this has happened with a new generation of games in the franchise's 18-year history.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Everything will be awful oh god panic.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
The Last of Us will be the best game in the history of games.

Mark me words.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Am I the only one who's tired of 1) fucking zombies, which aren't interesting, and 2) survival horror games, which are stupid?

Seriously, I can think of three off the top of my head in the past year, each with features so similar to the other that they could be considered rips of each other, a repackaging of the same content.

Anyways, there will be no good WiiU games in 2013, PS3 and Xbox360 will have their successors introduced sometime during the year, for release in 2014. KH 1.5 will be released and tide over fans until KH 2.5 in 2014 and KH 3 in 2015. Pokemon X/Y will be the Black/White version we should have gotten, but will jump the shark with some retarded concepts. Strategy and turnbased roleplaying games outside of established franchises will continue to suffer, while indie games and Steam titles become more and more popular.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

Elder Scrolls Online will be a contender for worst game of 2013.
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Trepie
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Trepie Send a message via MSN to Trepie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treepandaone View Post
Elder Scrolls Online will be a contender for worst game of 2013.
^ This

I don't see their style really working for a MMORPG. Interesting concept, but I don't have high hopes they'll be able to bring everything together to make a good online game.
Trepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Since nobody seems to think that TESO will be any good, it'll end up exceeding everyone's extremely low expectations and will be GOTY.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

GOTY 2013 will be a game that came out years ago that I play for the first time this year.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon View Post
GOTY 2013 will be a game that came out years ago that I play for the first time this year.
Sooooo this?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games