UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #51
deoxys
Fog Badge

Get! : Bastion

Beat! : ...Bastion

Honestly?

One of the best games I have ever played. There is quite simply nothing like it. Beautiful art, the soundtrack was perfect, the storytelling bit was absolutely superb... and the ending was chilling.

Did it have it's flaws?

... No. I honestly cannot think of any. I think I can honestly say it was perfect, and it had enough content to make you want to come back for another run when it is over.

$14.99. You absolutely cannot go wrong. I would have probably paid a standard price for it.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #52
phoopes
Double Dragon

I've never even heard of Bastion. Though I'm definitely going to have to check it out now.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #53
deoxys
Fog Badge

OF COURSE 2 days after I buy Bastion Steam puts it on sale for $5.99

IF YOU DO NOT GET THIS YOU ARE A CRAZY PERSON.

CRAZY PERSON!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #54
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"I would have probably paid standard price for it," remember? ^^;

deoxys: Yeah, but ...

Hey: at least it wasn't a $60-to-$20 price drop like what would happen if you bought a hot game right before the Classic Hits label hit store shelves.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #55
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Or the ultimate version is released and no DLC to update your regular version to it.

Thankfully, no Capcom.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #56
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I've played like ten minutes of it. And..

WHO THE HELL VOICES THAT GUY
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #57
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Are you referring to the narrator, played by Logan Cunningham? Although when I was playing it, I thought it was Ron Perlman.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #58
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I have a few.

Fallout New Vegas
This isn't as large as Fallout 3, but was still very fun to play through. The story mode was difficult, not because of game difficulty, but because I had difficulty telling what was the right thing to do. Alot of the people you can support seem very antagonistic, and in the end, I went down the Yes Man route.

Ar Tonelico
This game is so cheaply made it's ridiculous. That usually doesn't bother me, but with boring gameplay, and a meh story (so far), I'm having difficulty getting into this. I was mostly curious about this game because alot of the OSTs I've heard from this game were fantastic. Sadly, that alone is not enough to keep me interested. I've also noticed alot of JRPGs are cheaply made. Fucking Bethesda games have spoiled me.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 05-03-2012 at 04:21 PM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #59
deoxys
Fog Badge

GET! Section 8, Poker Night at the Inventory, Batman Arkham Asylum (again), Batman Arkham City, Dustforce, and League of Legends.

I bought Batman Arkham Asylum for $6 from GamersGate before, but it never installed properly due to a key shortage. Their customer service was absolutely dreadful and never solved my issue after me constantly bugging them.

Then I saw the Batman Arkham Bundle on Steam for $30, and I just said fuck it, we'll do it live.

Dustforce is surprisingly fun and is a side scrolling 2D platformer. It's like a calmer version of Super Meat Boy, more relazed, and the soundtrack is great.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #60
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

FINISHED Bastion.

Stop asking me how it was and get it yourself.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #61
deoxys
Fog Badge

How was it?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #62
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Too short. :P

Seriously though, that was an amazing package. The art, the music, the gameplay, but most importantly, the narrator. Made the game come alive.

Morgan Freeman has a contender for "Guy whose voice you want to read stuff in."
Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #63
Itzatrap
Volcano Badge

PixelJunk Monsters: Played this a few weeks ago and it is still quite amazing. <3 Can't go wrong with it being $1 in the PSN right now or the 3 for 1 PixelJunk pack for $2.
Itzatrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #64
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Playing: Warlock, Master of the Arcane (12 hours)

Does Civilization V's combat system give you a huge boner? Do you think having to manually instruct your workers is a pain in the ass and diplomacy is for queers? You'll love this game!

Yeah, this is pretty much a 4X with an emphasis on the "extermination" part of the equation. You get a lot of units with their own distinct strengths and weaknesses, an experience/upgrade system that feels significant and makes losing a treasured unit feel legitimately painful, and an AI that has a basic idea of how to play the game when you come charging in with your hordes. That said, a lot of the other stuff falls by the wayside: diplomacy is quite literally limited to Montezuma-style "gib monies or I war u", and while there are alternate win conditions besides "murder everyone" at least in the game I'm playing I would have had to go significantly out of my way to win by them (even beyond some of the more esoteric win conditions in some Civ games). There's also other niggling annoyances like the lack of an in-game encyclopedia and the lack of hotkeys, and the fact that the AI (on normal at least) is very passive on offense: why declare war on me if you're not going to fucking attack until you ask for peace twenty turns later?

You could do worse for $20 bucks, though.

Legend of Grimrock (~3 hours)

I want to like this game more than I do. Dungeon crawling is fun, the "old school" clunky controls not so much (especially the combat part, which you will be doing a lot of).
Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #65
deoxys
Fog Badge

Beat: Batman: Arkham Asylum (12 hours)

An excellent game. Can't believe I've waited so long to play it. The gameplay is essentially Assassin's Creed but better, except instead of Ezio you're the dark knight. Most of the voice actors were brought back from Batman: The Animated Series. The Characters were done very well and the stealthy action was definitely suspenseful at times. Some curveballs were thrown late in the game to curb certain strategies I was using up to that point so that I had to find new methods of sneaking around and fighting. Also, guns hurt!

Playing: Batman: Arkham City (4 hours in) - This game is probably one of the best looking games I've ever played, and it's on a dated graphics card, too. It's essentially Arkham City all over again, but in a much more sandbox environment. It's giant collection of all of Batman's greatest enemies all at once, exceptionally well done and in a very realistic way.

GET: Alan Wake
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #66
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Too short. :P

Seriously though, that was an amazing package. The art, the music, the gameplay, but most importantly, the narrator. Made the game come alive.

Morgan Freeman has a contender for "Guy whose voice you want to read stuff in."
Um, Morgan Freeman wasn't the narrator.

But yeah, I loved playing that game too, mainly because of everything you said! And the soundtrack was voted Best of 2011 in the VG Awards. Such a great game overall too. I hope SuperGiant Games can deliver more stuff like this!

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future

Last edited by Gemini Spark; 05-14-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
Um, Morgan Freeman wasn't the narrator.
"Morgan Freeman has a contender for [title]" = "Morgan Freeman has competition"

He knows the narrator was not Morgan Freeman. In fact, his very point hinges on that knowledge.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #68
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Get: Pilotwings 3DS. Nostalgia-ing hard for Pilotwings 64, I've been waiting anxiously for a price drop for this. Today it happened and I picked it up- it's not as cartoonishly funny as Pilotwings 64 so far, but it is quite a bit of fun.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #69
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Get: Diablo III (~3 hours)

Error 37

Error 37

Error 37

Error 37

..Blizz, can I trade the always-on DRM for not being able to use your blatant admission that you want your cheddar from the Chinese gold farmers the real currency auction house? I'll be okay, I promise.

Also, maybe it's because I'm too dumb to find it but I'd like to be able to start a little higher than Diablo "normal" (ie "I'm worse at video games than unownmew is at coherent thought") difficulty kthx

Last edited by Blastoise; 05-15-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #70
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Randomly: Can you enjoy the MGS series if you don't play the very first game? THAT site doesn't have functioning version, and it's way too old for me to buy anywhere.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #71
Nagasaki
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Yahoo to Nagasaki Send a message via Skype™ to Nagasaki
I will wipe out all FF, Pokemon, LoZ and FE games to a finish. Now Here's my progress.

Final Fantasy: Currently playing FF7 (PSX) in an emulator, and Dissidia: Final Fantasy in PSP. Next is FF8.
Pokemon: Finishing FR/LG/E to gain the complete Pokedex and the Gold Frontier Symbols in Emerald. Next is Pokemon Diamond/Pearl.
Legend of Zelda: Dunno where to start. But since I am more story related, and I am playing chronologically, I'll start with the NES version.
Fire Emblem: I am also having trouble where to start. Maybe I'll start With Shadow Dragon, coz it's the remake of the original NES version.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #72
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>But since I am more story related, and I am playing chronologically, I'll start with the NES version

If you're after chronology, you want to start with Skyward Sword (then Ocarina, Majora, etc.). Starting with the NES one would be doing it in release order.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #73
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagasaki View Post
Legend of Zelda: Dunno where to start. But since I am more story related, and I am playing chronologically, I'll start with the NES version.
Fire Emblem: I am also having trouble where to start. Maybe I'll start With Shadow Dragon, coz it's the remake of the original NES version.
I'm sorry, but I must intervene here. You should start with either "Fire Emblem" for GBA (which is actually Fire Emblem 7), or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for Gamecube (the story for this game has a sequel called Radiant Dawn for Wii). The original NES version isn't that great. It's like telling someone to start their Final Fantasy experience with the original. Could it work? Sure, but it may also cause you to think, "Hmm, this franchise really isn't that great" and never play one of the far superior titles.

Zelda ... I suppose starting with the original is fine. I did it myself over 20 years ago. Link to the Past for SNES is in the same style and way better, though.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #74
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Some series, I don't think it matters where you start, even if later titles may have little easter egg references to previous ones in the series. I'd group the Final Fantasies and the NES Mega Mans here. Sure, there's some semblance of a chronological plot linking Mega Mans 1 thru 6 ... but really? Play 'em in whatever the hell order you prefer.

Other series, I think it matters a little, but only for select titles in the franchise. This is where I'd group the Metroids and the Zeldas. For instance, you shouldn'y play Metroid Prime 3 before playing Metroid Prime 1 and 2, but by all means go ahead and play the Prime series before touching the original Metroid or the SNES era Super Metroid. Similarly, with Zelda I don't think it really matters all that much in the grand scheme of things whether you play the NES Zelda (blasphemy, I'm sure ) but it certainly matters that you play, or that you at least read the Wikipedia plot summary for, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask before you touch Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.

Still other series, I'd say you have to play them in release order or else you're doing it wrong. This is where I'd place the Metal Gear Solids and the Mass Effects. Any franchise where all the titles in the series form an interwoven narrative ... yeah, you pretty much have to play them in order. Not doing so is like joining DS9 halfway through Season 6 or like picking up the 21st Century Doctor Who with David Tennant's final episode. Metal Gear Solid provides a good example since the chronological order is {spoiler} but the release order (duh) is 1-2-3-4. And I would say you ought to play them in that order. Playing them in chronological order takes all of the surprise at out of two of the four titles.

Since he's asking about Zelda, see that middle category again. I'd say the order he plays in matters ... but only to a limited extent. Play (or at least read about) Ocarina of Time before touching Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Conveniently, if you aim to play the games in chronological order then you're probably going to still play them in the order OoT --> MM --> WW --> TP anyway, the exact same as the release order.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-29-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #75
Nagasaki
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Yahoo to Nagasaki Send a message via Skype™ to Nagasaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
I'm sorry, but I must intervene here. You should start with either "Fire Emblem" for GBA (which is actually Fire Emblem 7), or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for Gamecube (the story for this game has a sequel called Radiant Dawn for Wii). The original NES version isn't that great. It's like telling someone to start their Final Fantasy experience with the original. Could it work? Sure, but it may also cause you to think, "Hmm, this franchise really isn't that great" and never play one of the far superior titles.

Zelda ... I suppose starting with the original is fine. I did it myself over 20 years ago. Link to the Past for SNES is in the same style and way better, though.
And for that, thank you. I really am a story-concerned person, ryt? For FE, I'm planning playing the DS one, coz it closes the gaps of the NES ver. But honestly, I don't know the Timeline of events that happened, also with LoZ.

I think FE has this (correct the timeline if I'm wrong):

Shadow Dragon
Gaiden
FE7
(The other FEin GBA, forgot the title)
Path of Radiance
And so on (dunno the rest)...

About LoZ, I only know Loz I then Adventures of Link, then I don't know the rest...
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games