UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Bouffalant Detective Pikachu (movie)

Turns out, not so great. Game was wayyyyyyyy better. I'd put this above Destiny Deoxys an a couple other poké-movies I dun care for whatever thats worth. Everything felt rushed aside from one seemingly never ending setpiece scene, the detective work was largely swept aside, and unlike the game this was yet another super heavy Gen 1 pandering session. Also the villians plan was both dumb and gross so bleh.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Interesting, this is the first negative review I've seen. I haven't seen the movie yet though, so I don't know!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

As a stand alone film, I enjoyed it. But I know it's pretty much the plot of the game as a movie and there's always going to be a transition issue. I didn't play the game, so /shrugs
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Interesting, this is the first negative review I've seen. I haven't seen the movie yet though, so I don't know!
It seems I'm one of the few people in the world that thought the pokémon looked gross. Further they were from the camera the less bad they looked, which isn't to say they looked good from afar just that their hideousness was more obscured. Lickitung was a thing of nightmares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
As a stand alone film, I enjoyed it. But I know it's pretty much the plot of the game as a movie and there's always going to be a transition issue. I didn't play the game, so /shrugs
The thing is that it wasn't the plot of the game. It retained some things from the game such as the names Tim/Harry/Ryme City/"R" one unexplained plotpoint an nothing else is coming to mind. Like Pikachu didn't even carry around his trademark magnifying glass!

Game spoilers:
Spoiler: show
"R" was used to commit & coverup crimes by passing the blame to pokémon for one. The end villians plan was not complete nonsense like the movies was either. The game also leaves itself open for a sequel unlike the movie because Mewtwo reveals Harry is still alive somewhere out there and so Tim & Pikachu resolve to continue their search for him. Cause game Mewtwo was... a Mewtwo. Not some do-anything makeup powers on the spot that somehow could merge people & pokémon.

Also the game wasn't a Gen 1 wankfest like the movie. There was a much greater variety of PKMN an because the game actually had detective work ya interacted with a whole lotta 'em. Whereas in the movie there are some non-Gen 1 PKMN but they're largely in the background. Only a couple of scenes had 'em doing anything. But wait, theres more! Anime (dub) pandering! MC with a Pikachu befriends a girl with a Psyduck and outta nowhere its decided they're love interests. HMMMMMMMMMMM.

The games forced romantic interest wasn't any better but at least the girls partner pokémon wasn't a Psyduck. Hers was... none! She didn't have one cause everyone having one wasn't a thing!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
It seems I'm one of the few people in the world that thought the pokémon looked gross. Further they were from the camera the less bad they looked, which isn't to say they looked good from afar just that their hideousness was more obscured. Lickitung was a thing of nightmares.
The style is disgusting but it was more trailer bait than anything. I think the uncanny novelty has long since worn off.

Quote:
Anime (dub) pandering! MC with a Pikachu befriends a girl with a Psyduck and outta nowhere its decided they're love interests. HMMMMMMMMMMM.
This existed in the original Japanese, 4Kids just played it up in a few places.

Still, that's hilarious and I can't wait to see all the shippers triggered by this movie. I'm seeing the movie TUESDAY because Nintendo needs muh money.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-12-2019, 10:45 PM   #6
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

fwiw this is game Tim. Generic tool. Movie Tim was in every way superior.

Quote:
The style is disgusting but it was more trailer bait than anything. I think the uncanny novelty has long since worn off.
I never saw any of the trailers. Or read details about it. I saw... a screenshot or two of Pikachu an that was it. I went in as blind as someone who played the game could be. Prolly a good thing to since I've since read that the trailers gave away alot.

Quote:
This existed in the original Japanese, 4Kids just played it up in a few places.
Ohh was that the case? I always remember reading that 4Kids basically invented the romantic stuff. Guess they just hugely blew it outta proportion.

Quote:
Still, that's hilarious and I can't wait to see all the shippers triggered by this movie. I'm seeing the movie TUESDAY because Nintendo needs muh money.
I don't think Nintendo or TPC needs your money but Warner/Legendary might. Weak opening in Japan, 58 million in the US. on a 150 million budget... plus the tons spent on marketing x.x;

Last edited by Lindz; 05-12-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #7
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
I fucking loved it and I can't wait to see it again. Plot was kinda meh, but the visuals were great, the atmosphere was great, and the acting (barring Kathryn Newton) was pretty solid. I was geeking out the entire time.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 PM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Ohh was that the case? I always remember reading that 4Kids basically invented the romantic stuff. Guess they just hugely blew it outta proportion.
No, that's part of a smear campaign by anti-Pokeshippers. There were definitely a lot of little Ash-Misty moments in the original. Where 4Kids blew it out of proportion was:

-Misty's Song
-Ash mentioning Misty in Jirachi: Wish-Maker

Those were 4Kids creations, but they only added fuel to a well-lit fire.

Quote:
I don't think Nintendo or TPC needs your money but Warner/Legendary might. Weak opening in Japan, 58 million in the US. on a 150 million budget... plus the tons spent on marketing x.x;
This follows Shazam! as a surprising underperformer. I think there's a clique of casuals out there who think they're too grown-up for this movie. Cave dwelling man virgins don't want to go to a theatre with their already-bred betters and their kids.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-13-2019 at 01:24 AM. Reason: spellcheck, the antithesis of good spelling
Old 05-13-2019, 01:04 AM   #9
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

On a more positive note, they did get the whole "Charizard no like getting tail flame stomped out" stuff right. I thought it was charming in a sense. Ludicolo also the greatest star in the film.

This is coming from someone who has never seen the source game of Detective Pikachu so.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:42 AM   #10
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
I fucking loved it and I can't wait to see it again. Plot was kinda meh, but the visuals were great, the atmosphere was great, and the acting (barring Kathryn Newton) was pretty solid. I was geeking out the entire time.
I came out of the movie feeling the same way. Story was weak, especially near the end, but it was a fun movie.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:42 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I saw this!

I was OK, but not a good film. Ryan Reynolds was very entertaining, with his quirks, snark and also some very obtuse in-jokes. I thought that the guy who played Tim was a much better actor saddled with a pretty awful role/script he couldn't elevate. Like, the talent shown through pretty well (unlike with the Misty girl). Some of the stuff I noticed:

-Greninja was sent to deal with Mewtwo (as a Dark-type)
-Mewtwo smashes a statue of Arceus, a clear snide of "one god smashing another"
-Pikachu says Volt Tackle will knock him out, referencing how the recoil from that move normally does exactly that in the games
-I interpreted the vial made from Mewtwo as the "Berserk Gene" from GSC

Spoilers!

I called that Mewtwo used Amnesia to remove Pikachu's memory, but failed to figure out that old guy was the villain. It didn't help that people said "Mewtwo was the villain of the movie" - he's not. My sister caught it due to the old guy being a famous actor.

Pikachu = Ryan Reynolds was such an obvious twist I didn't think it would play out straight. It was OK.

The movie is filled with fanservice and references so I can see why people with no familiarity with the source would get turned off. This is a film for Pokemon fans pretending to be a general audience film.

Ken Watanabe sucked.

The Mr. Mime scene was less impressive in the film than in the trailer cut, in fact the trailer itself was far more amusing and bizarre, which was the point I guess. The look went from "grotesque" in the trailer to sort of OK in the film. The horrific Sonic movie has taken the mantle of repulsive, but not in a curious way.

I thought the Bulbasaurs being stupid was a disappointment. Psyduck was shown to be decently intelligent, so the Bulbasaurs not really understanding at first was jarring.

I don't agree that this was a gen 1 wankfest. It featured sound and iconography from gen 1 and the original OS season, but the main Pokemon were Pikachu, Mewtwo and Psyduck. If three Pokemon from Gen 1 makes this a Gen 1 film to you, you're too overly concerned with that.

Overall...5/10. Even if Endgame is a far lesser film than Infinity War, I feel like Detective Pikachu making any kind of impactful gross against it would be insulting. This is not a good film. This is an average-at-best film that's fun to watch, with some potential shining through here and there.

Better luck next time!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #12
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

as an adaption of the game: not so great
as a detective film: terrible
as a pokémovie: theres been worse

Quote:
-I interpreted the vial made from Mewtwo as the "Berserk Gene" from GSC
iirc thats one of the few things the movie did pull from the game!

Quote:
I thought the Bulbasaurs being stupid was a disappointment. Psyduck was shown to be decently intelligent, so the Bulbasaurs not really understanding at first was jarring.
That whole
"resurrection" scene
in general was weak. Bulbasaur start leading the way. Morelull join in. And then... that's that. Look at any other pokémovie with a scene like this (theres plenty of 'em!) you'll get like every pokémon type living in the area leading Ash & whatever injured pkmn to help!

Quote:
I don't agree that this was a gen 1 wankfest. It featured sound and iconography from gen 1 and the original OS season, but the main Pokemon were Pikachu, Mewtwo and Psyduck. If three Pokemon from Gen 1 makes this a Gen 1 film to you, you're too overly concerned with that.
Gen 1 pkmn by far got the most screen time. Aipom, Greninja, and "Torterra" are the only non-gen 1'ers that got significant screen time. Meanwhile that reject Mr. Mime had like a 10 minute scene. The little battling there was involved Blastoise, Gengar, Charizard, Gyarados. During the finale

what does Pikachu ride around on? The Rufflet and Braviary shown to be present earlier in the film? Nope! Pidgeotto an only Pidgeotto because of course it had ta be that. Speaking of rejects, freaking DITTO is one of the big bads?????
Non-gen 1 'mon were by and large just props.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That battling was actually fun and it's taken like five appearances and a Pokkeon inclusion for me to realize that Blastoise is the coolest Pokemon for battle choreography. The cannons and shell allow for spinning, sniping, propulsion, so almost every use of Blastoise I've seen lately seems to take full advantage of those features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
Non-gen 1 'mon were by and large just props.
Like I said though it was more an issue of the three main Pokemon being from gen 1, rather than the movie being swamped with them.

The Blastoise/Gengar battle seems to have replaced Nidorino/Gengar as the GB opening, since that scene appeared in M20. There was Mr. Mime who was used for his barrier gimmick. But other than references and gags?

As for Ditto, those who played me in ASB years ago know that Ditto's ability is very powerful when trained up. I actually missed that foreshadowing earlier.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-24-2019, 03:53 AM   #14
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
The first 45 minutes or so is awash with background references that had me and my mate giggling constantly, and Ryan Reynolds was given a lot of really good lines and delivered them excellently. Was the main plot any good? I mean no not really, but was anyone expecting it to be? The pacing could've been better. But honestly it's a really funny film. I've seen a lot of films already this year (woo annual cinema pass) and I'm not going to say it's one of the best films I've seen, but it's one of the ones I've enjoyed the most.

On the gen 1 front, I don't think there are any later gen pokemon you could do anything as interesting as the Mr Mime and Ditto stuff. Gen v is my personal favourite but gen I is just where they blew 90% of their wackiest ideas.

Last edited by Concept; 05-24-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON