UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #276
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I had my suspicions as well, but he called me "Dopple", so that invalidated any theories I had.

@VGM - under no circumstances does the movie invalidate Endless Eight. While I can agree with Talon that E8 sort of puts someone in the mindset for the movie, the novel communicated the same frustration and fatigue Yuki felt more effectively than E8 did. Kyon's observations of her really made me mad at Haruhi. This means that the entire episode was totally unnecessary, and could have been but a single episode so people wouldn't be disappointed by the resolution.

In the novel, the resolution came across as brilliant, but in the anime it was like "why didn't you think of this sooner? ".

Also, as bad as the sex scandal is, it hasn't hurt Aya's ability to land jobs, nor should it. She just can't play roles in otaku anime anymore, which (along with her poor acting) was why she got kicked off Bakemonogatari.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 02-25-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #277
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

E8 was brilliant.

Deoxys, I discussed that article with Talon a while back, and he said nowhere does it definitely claim that there won't be a season III. Only what the bolded statement says: There are currently no plans to broadcast a third season/it's not in production right now.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #278
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kyoto Animation has been going through several years of management problems, so I doubt if we see a Haruhi III it'll be anytime soon. But if it is, it'll probably be out of nowhere like H2 was.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #279
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Basically, my point is this. If Endless Eight was truly not that bad, then I dare you to re watch it!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #280
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have. ^_^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #281
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

A better challenge would be for someone without a propensity to rewatch anime to try and watch it again.

Spoiler: show

I didn't finish Endless Eight once. I watched four episodes then skipped to the end.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #282
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Watched Disappearance. It was everything I had hoped for.

I like how crushingly depressing the first half is, as Kyon mopes around discovering that all his friends are gone. The discovery that Haruhi still exists and goes to a different school blew the movie wide open.

Asakura's first appearance totally reminded me of Terminator 2, when Sarah Connor sees Arnie for the first time.

lol at Kyon snatching the cat away from his sister. "I have something to discuss with Shamisen. ALONE." That look she gave him, hahaha.

This has been said already I'm sure, but hot DAMN Haruhi looks good in that Kouyouen getup. Why'd she have to tie her hair back up and wear those baggy gym clothes? :\ she should have just awed everyone into submission instead of putting on a disguise! The rebirth of the SOS Brigade was a triumphant moment, though.

Intense moment with Kyon getting stabbed. I thought Kyon might actually die, with his other self from the future carrying on. I think something like this happened in Spider Man, where he had a clone of himself. One of them died, and it was unclear whether the real Spider Man or the clone survived.

So yeah, poor Yuki. And here I thought she took Endless Eight with good cheer.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #283
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
A better challenge would be for someone without a propensity to rewatch anime to try and watch it again.

I didn't finish Endless Eight once. I watched four episodes then skipped to the end.
Bah. Wimp. I sat through the entirety of every episode, and then watched the first episode and the last episode of E8 again after I finished the season.

Like a champ.

(Alternatively, I could have watched paint dry)
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #284
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Yeah, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was a really great movie. If you know Haruhi fans IRL, it's good to watch in a crowd too.

Jeez, has it really been 2 years since I saw it at NYCC? Time just flies by ~_~;;
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #285
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Bah. Wimp.
Chicks dig a guy's ability to avert his eyes.

Also, paint is a fascinating subject. You should really look into it!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #286
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Glad to hear you enjoyed the movie, Mcsweeney. I agree with pretty much everything you said except what I'll call "the Spider-man theory" so I don't have to spoiler tag. ;p
Old 02-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #287
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I watched all of E8 in one go. Have gone back and revisited episodes here and there (mostly for ItsuHaru/AMV scenes).

Kouyouen uniforms are the best.

Itsuki looked pretty sharp in a gakuran too. <3
Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #288
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I hated E8. But that was because I was waiting each week for the next episode. I think that made it 100x more painful. Especially since I had fond memories of waiting every tuesday years before for season 1 of Haruhi and getting blown away by its shenanigans.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #289
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I never got to experience watching Haruhi weekly. Looking forward to finally discussing with folks between episodes if/when season III airs. ^-^

Not continually posting to try and maintain/boost my thread postcount compared to Talon's.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #290
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I randomly loaded the movie earlier today and dragged the time bar just as randomly to a spot somewhere near the middle, when Kyon is having nabe hot pot with ______ and _______. Stopped myself after the elevator scene though. I was like, "If you're going to watch it, then watch it from the beginning. " Not today. Maybe some other time. But I did realize I should have encouraged you a bit more about discussing one point in particular, Mcsweeney, since I know you and I really both enjoyed a similar scene earlier in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Intense moment with Kyon getting stabbed. I thought Kyon might actually die, with his other self from the future carrying on. I think something like this happened in Spider Man, where he had a clone of himself. One of them died, and it was unclear whether the real Spider Man or the clone survived.
Yeah. You had mentioned how you were frustrated that nothing in S2 really lived up to the scene in S1 I mentioned above. I would have to agree. I'm not even sure anything else in S1 was able to live up to that scene. (I know people love the ENOZ concert and point to it as the most epic scene in the show, but for me, that doesn't even make my cut for Top 3 favorite S1 moments. ^_^; ) So it might be a bit of a high bar that we're setting for the rest of the franchise to reach. But if anything's come closest to matching it, or indeed did match it, I think it was this climactic scene in the film. Absolutely amazing. Mostly because ...

The first time you see Asakura in the film, you're distrustful of her, much like Kyon, and you totally suspect that she's just pretending. The rest of the movie is spent convincing you that nobody here has any idea what's going on because of memory alterations and stuff -- that everyone here is perfectly normal. They do such a thorough job of desensitizing you to Asakura that when she finally does appear out of nowhere and stab Kyon with her knife, you didn't see it coming and are completely shocked by it. Speechless. Holding your breath. Just such an amazing, amazing scene. How she pirouettes like one of those ballerinas inside of a mechanical music box + snow globe hybrid? Except how grotesque it is, the ballerina replaced with a school girl, the snow replaced with droplets of blood? It's just ... really amazing. And the music there is ... I gotta go rewatch it. XD I just gotta. It's that kind of scene. The kind you can't content yourself to just remember. You have to relive it each and every time. So, so well done.

Also, AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW at the Mikurus rushing over to Kyon's aid. Young Mikuru looks a-DORABLE in those mittens and winter coat and hat. Oh my God, SO CUTE! >.< Ladies? You want a boyfriend? DRESS LIKE THAT AND JUST SET FOOT OUTSIDE. Ri-goddamn-diculous how cute she was there. And the poor thing, babbling incoherently just like in Endless Eight.

See? See? This is why you had to see Endless Eight first. Not only for Yuki, and to really get an intimate feel for why she might betray Haruhi like this, but for Mikuru and the others, too, since there are things they said or did which kinda-sorta show back up in Disappearance. This is one of them.

Also, I forgot to mention: it's great to see you again, Mcsweeney! You've been M.I.A. for months, it seems. What's up? (Let's take this aspect of the conversation to BBB's discussion thread, though.)

Last edited by Talon87; 02-27-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #291
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Also, I forgot to mention: it's great to see you again, Mcsweeney! You've been M.I.A. for months, it seems. What's up?
Well you see, Endless 8 annoyed me so much that I had to break my silence and post an extensive rant about it.

But I haven't been doing anything, really. Just succumbed to severe League of Legends addiction. I'm on the road to recovery, though! Disappearance made me ask myself a hard question: what has enriched my life more, this magnificent movie that took 2 and a half hours to watch, or ALL the time I've spent playing LoL combined? I don't want to calculate that number by the way, too depressing.

I think it's because I've had this fantasy of becoming a pro gamer my whole life. If I just practice enough, I can fly around the world winning tournaments, and stream games for my 20,000 viewers (did you know that the top LoL players make over $100,000 a year just from streaming?). I couldn't win the Super Mario Bros. contest at the mall when I was a kid, I couldn't become the best Warcraft 2 player, couldn't become the best Starcraft player, couldn't become the best Starcraft 2 player, but THIS game, maybe this is the one! I need to realize that I'm good at games, but not THAT good. I can never reach that elite level!

Quote:
Yeah, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was a really great movie. If you know Haruhi fans IRL, it's good to watch in a crowd too.
Talking about watching this movie with other people ....
One thing I found interesting is that they made no effort to make Disappearance a stand alone movie, accessible to casual viewers. It's a straight up sequel to season 2. If I wanted to introduce someone to the wonders of The Melancholy with this movie, it would only serve to confuse them terribly. At no point does Kyon even do a brief recap of his situation. Something like, "My name is Kyon (okay, so that's not his name), and some time ago I discovered that this girl here, Haruhi Suzumiya, is God." They'd have no idea wtf is going on. Why's Kyon backing away while scary music plays when this Asakura girl walks into the classroom? Are her eyebrows really so terrifying? Come to think of it, starting someone off on season 1 episode 1 would be quite bewildering as well, but at least all is made clear with episode 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Also, AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW at the Mikurus rushing over to Kyon's aid. Young Mikuru looks a-DORABLE in those mittens and winter coat and hat. Oh my God, SO CUTE! >.< Ladies? You want a boyfriend? DRESS LIKE THAT AND JUST SET FOOT OUTSIDE. Ri-goddamn-diculous how cute she was there. And the poor thing, babbling incoherently just like in Endless Eight.
I think she just reminded you of your beloved Ayu

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 02-28-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #292
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Coolz8
Mudkip

There was a three-year pattern before SII came out. Don't you think it may be released this year?

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Coolz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #293
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You can hardly call two data points a pattern.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #294
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Oh, right... But for some reason, I get this feeling that SIII may pop out, soon...

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #295
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Though this may be in season I, the guitar playing is epic.

BORKED

--------

--------

Last edited by Coolz8; 04-03-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #296
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

^Thanks to Rangeet for the appropriate codes

--------

--------

Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #297
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Altaria

Noisy guitars whoo~ \o/

I should probably finish watching the first season. ^_^;
Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #298
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post
Noisy guitars whoo~ \o/

I should probably finish watching the first season. ^_^;
Which Reminds Me! I've only watched the second season. I must watch the first....

--------

--------

Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #299
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

It's odd how the episode after two seemed to have skipped some points in time. Itsuki Popped up and I don't entirely understand closed space... .-.

--------

--------

Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #300
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolz8 View Post
Which Reminds Me! I've only watched the second season. I must watch the first....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolz8 View Post
It's odd how the episode after two seemed to have skipped some points in time. Itsuki Popped up and I don't entirely understand closed space... .-.
Oh wow. Very surprised you started with season II first. o.o; And seen the Disappearance movie to boot. =O

Just wait then, it'll be interesting to hear your responses after the fact. ^~

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime