Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I didn't even know a Pope could retire.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, this news story surprised me because it seemed so soon. "Wasn't he only made the Pope just a couple of years ago? " Well, eight years isn't exactly a couple , but it's not particularly long for a pope either. Yet here's what really shocked me:

Apparently he's the first to resign in nearly 600 years.

I didn't even think of that at first. All I thought was, "Man, sure seems sudden when he only just became the Pope." I didn't think, "Whoa: don't most popes remain Pope until the day they die?" So yeah, this is really interesting stuff. I wonder what people will do, say, or think in regards to their being "two living Popes" now -- one resigned, the other in office. I imagine most Catholics will subscribe to the belief that the active pope is the one who receives his information directly from God, not the former pope; but I can also easily imagine that some might say both men receive direct instruction from God, or even some who might believe that Pope Benedict XVI remains "the one true Pope" until the day he dies.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Crazy Catholic conspiracy theories, but I think the overriding reason Benedict XVI "retired" is because he wants to have an influence on his successor.

The Papal Papers leak from last year established that the RNC doesn't really know how to handle the wave of atheism/secularism that's storming the globe, and that there's a strong possibility of a major doctrinal shift if certain people get into positions of power. Benedict XVI doesn't want this so rather than die in office without any say in his successor, he's resigning now while he's still alive to make sure one of his cardinals gets elected.

I'm not super thrilled with that, since I think the RNC is dragging its feet on some issues needlessly, like the abortion/women priests one. The women priests, there is just no reason not to. And the abortion issue is leading to political consequences as hospitals (like Catholic Healthcare West) declare independence from church affiliation because of the church's anti-abortion stance.

I went to church for the first time in ages over the past three weeks, and each mass (here, compared to home) mentioned how evil and vile abortion is. Even in this week's bulletin, after Mardi Gras, the church has organized a candlelight vigil outside of Planned Parenthood. Down here, it's no exaggeration to say the Catholics hate hate hate hate abortion, so much so that the level of rancor is intimidating. That's all top-down, if the big boss says it's OK, we could see tolerance filter through.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Loki

Where are you exactly? Okay, not exactly, but regionally.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Conservative Catholic here. Benedict's cool, and even more cool after doing this.

Conspiracy theories are lame.

The "newest" Pope is the latest in the succession, and thus his is the authority granted by apostolic succession.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Well at least the next Pope won't look like Darth Sidious
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I didn't even know a Pope could retire.
This was exactly my thoughts when my friend told me about this earlier.

It's apparently because he's developed dementia? Is that true, or did my friend get telephoned??
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
Loki

Uh... Purple monkey diswasher?

I'm fairly sure it's a physical issue. There's been some mention that he can no longer endure transatlantic flights and has been having trouble walking. Also, there's Dopple's conspiracy theory. And also Deoxys' Sith Lord theory.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I actually did think of senile dementia myself, Kind, but a) everyone'd know about that if that were the case and b) that was John Paul II's deal, so your friend might be confounding Benedict's situation with his predecessor's. But yeah, I'd thought "Here we go again! " that it was senile dementia myself when I first saw the thread. Then I realized Point A likely meant that that was not it.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Benedict XVI is frail, but compared to John Paul II's condition, he's far healthier. In fact he wasn't even expected to live too long after he was elected, as was the case with the man he's always compared to, John XXIII. I remember in 2005, before the decline of my parish, how everyone hoped Benedict XVI would do something a bit more drastic to address the religious apathy and instead he went in the opposite direction, although not very far.

Given that precedent, it seems fairly likely to me we'll be getting a 60 something year old Pope, as was the case with Paul VI.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

JPII had these giant clown shoes to fill, and Benedict did an awful job of filling them. That's not to say he would have been a bad Pope in some earlier era. JPII posthumously put pressure on him that he physically could not handle.

At least, that's what I like to think because JPII was really quite amazing.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's hard to blame Benedict XVI since he didn't really do a bad job, but he really reminds me a lot more of Pope Paul VI who did a whole lot of nothing despite a strong pedigree, but he had to follow John XXIII who upstaged him.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Loki

I thought the whole point of Benedict XVI was to stall. Let him not do much so the conservative parties in the Vatican would maintain their current policies.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I thought the whole point of Benedict XVI was to stall. Let him not do much so the conservative parties in the Vatican would maintain their current policies.
Exactly. But he's a lot healthier than people expected for an old pope, and has lived long enough that his legacy is in jeopardy.

What we wanted was for him to pull a John XXIII...because the church is in bad shape right now for Europe. The fact that church announcements pretty much distill to "we're focusing on Africa and South America!" tell you how bad the situation is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

So what do you guys think of this whole Prophecy of St. Malachy? Supposedly if the next pope is a 'Peter of Rome', he will be the last pope and usher in the events that take place in the Book of Revelation.

Something about he accurately predicted all of the popes between his time and now, like JP2 was the Pope of the Sun or something, and there was a solar eclipse the day he was born and died, and Benedict was the pope of olives or something, and his monks use olive branches to represent him.

I don't know, I only just heard about it and read a little In regards to it, but evidently this prophecy has a lot of people shaking in there boots. Also there are at least two cardinals up for election named Peter, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Last edited by deoxys; 02-14-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Given the very accurate description of popes up to 1590 and lack of accuracy after that point, historians have generally concluded that the prophecies were written shortly before they were published.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
deoxys
Fog Badge

One of the other reasons I heard was it was tampered in the 15th century to influence the election of a pope
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I don't believe any sort of religious apocalypse claims.

Long video under the spoiler. Highly recommended.

Spoiler: show
BORKED

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah, um, no. We just survived Aztec Apocalypse and like three Raptures over the past two years, I don't want another one.

No Pope is going to name himself Peter II unless the world has reached its darkest hour.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 02-14-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
deoxys
Fog Badge

Well the idea is because, and I'm not catholic so I don't know, but isn't it like... forbidden for there to be a Peter II? Which would fall on his given name, and both Peter Turkson and Pietro Parolin are up for the election, supposedly.

I just think this is fun to talk about. I don't believe it especially given that I'm not even Catholic, but it's fun to talk hypotheticals.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It isn't forbidden, but Peter was the first pope and saved the church so christening oneself as Peter II is inviting comparisons to him. It would be like George W. Bush saying "I"m gonna go all Abe Lincoln on ya, America" in his inaugural address.

That's why I think there would have to be a great crisis for there to be a Peter II. Nobody wants Peter II to have a papacy like Paul VI.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #23
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I talked to my parents yesterday about church (since I last called them Sunday, and the Pope stepped down the day after) and my mother was pissed off at Benedict XVI.

The reason is, she thinks that his resignation is not only due to the Papal Paper link, but due to a huge ship-storm going on in Los Angeles. She hates illegal Hispanics, so this issue was mad sensitive.

Cardinal Mahony of Los Angeles, allegedly, smuggled a Mexican priest into the US to head the spanish ministry, intended as a figure of outreach for undocumented Catholics. Turns out he was a pedophile and molested dozens of kids while he was in the US. The Cardinal covered up the abuse and sent the guy back down to Mexico...where he proceeded to molest dozens more kids in the diocese he was assigned to.

Wow.

Things are really different from 2005 when my home-town church was still roaring strong. Our pastor wouldn't dodge around these issues but bring them straight to the parishioner's attention. The ministry here has a real hard-on for anti-abortion messages. I'm sure that candle-light vigil outside Planned Parenthood was a smash hit with the employees there!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
deoxys
Fog Badge

Why am I not surprised?

Honestly, the Catholic church needs to reopen discussion for priests to get married.

Also, I'm hearing a lot of rumors about the Pope being granted immunity or something. It doesn't sound very good for him.

Perhaps Peter II will be the next one, as a mixture of self-fulfilling prophecy with a state of shambles the church might be plunged into after some sort of huge cover up or scandal is revealed when Benedict resigns.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Honestly, the Catholic church needs to reopen discussion for priests to get married.
This I'm against.

In my mind, I don't link pedophilia as a direct cause of a priest not having a wife to bang every night. Nor do I think these guys are opportunistic, seeing altar boys and altar girls undressing and then the devil entering their hearts. They were monsters or wolves who donned holy clothing specifically to prey on these kids, and a calculated effort like that without immediate gain is 100% evil.

We don't know how many priests abused kids over the past century, but I can say that with faith declining, it's probably easier for them to infiltrate now, since the RCC is desperate for representatives. Clergy like Mahony don't help.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc