UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 10-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #51
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Public approval for the current Congress is at, at most, ten percent. Also, the NASA site was shut down too...and I have to do a project on them!
At least now your teacher can't blame you for using Wikipedia!

Congress is a joke nowadays. Granted, its always had its periods of just terribleness, but couple a divided Congress with a terribly ineffectual president and you get the this situation...like what every year?

And then it irks me that Congress still gets their full salaries, while they think that cutting benefits blindly is a good thing. All it does is make me quite angry. Like at this point I'm well on considering building a time machine and rigging the votes to McCain. I just don't like at all the way things are going. I think Obama could put us on the right track...if he could get through to Congress. Which sadly he can't.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #52
Mercutio
Banned

He's still a better President than Carter, which is depressing in its own way.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #53
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
He's still a better President than Carter, which is depressing in its own way.
Yeah, I'll agree with you there. He probably beats a few of the Gilded Age Presidents too...but those were arguably worse than Carter.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #54
deh74
Noted homosexual

He's the best to be elected this millennium. But not the best one of this millennium, that's still Clinton.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #55
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah but it's really sad how much better Bush was at doing the job of president than either of the Democrats.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quoting from a CNN article I just saw (so take with a grain of salt):
Quote:
Fewer laws were passed in the last Congress than in any Congress since 1861, and based on the number of floor votes taken so far this year, the current Congress is on track to be even less productive. It is also the most partisan Congress since the Civil War era.
Not exactly sure how they prove that final statement, but I have to admit that it's kinda cool (in a very bad way ^^; ) to think that our Congressional gridlock right now has a mirror in the famous Congress of Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, and John C. Calhoun. Makes me wonder if this is on the horizon!

Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #57
deoxys
Fog Badge

some tumblr gems from this debacle:

"How could they shut the whole government down this is the year of luigi"

"can't believe Byakuya Togami shut down the US government"

"with the government shut down I can finally don the uniform of the upcoming revolution:

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #58
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That first one's my favorite.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #59
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Yeah but it's really sad how much better Bush was at doing the job of president than either of the Democrats.
Under Bush the Republicans had full control over both houses of congress for all but two years of his eight, Clinton and Obama combined had their party in control of both houses of congress for two years each. Clinton was excellent at making compromises, but the Republican party has degenerated so far from when he left office in 2000 I don't hold it against Obama that he's been unable to bring the Republicans to the table. In the Fox News world, one Republican crossing over to vote with the Democrats is likely to lose the financial support of the GOP machine in the primaries next year and lose his seat.

Despite the fact that the current PM is a sexist, ignorant and malicious twatbag Australia is so much better off politically than the US I find it hard to imagine moving back to the states full time.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #60
Mercutio
Banned

I realise that the situation is different but I still place Bush above Clinton in terms of political skill. Clinton did have a lot going for him though.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #61
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to hen da man
On the news here in Australia, one of the reporters said this and mum and I found it pretty hilarious.

Quote:
And the American Government's approval rating is at an all time low of 10%, which means that Brussel Sprouts, Head Lice and Colonoscopies are currently more favoured.
Oh how I laughed.

Daisy is just the best for making the battlecut!

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Spoiler: show
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

edit: also any kids reading this dont drink it fucks u pyour brannreal bad
hen da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #62
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
gj congress a+ legislating

Ten year olds could run a government better.
Even the ASB is marginally better run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Despite the fact that the current PM is a sexist, ignorant and malicious twatbag Australia is so much better off politically than the US I find it hard to imagine moving back to the states full time.
I live in a country where the most socially conservatives of our three major parties are pushing through gay marriage. Sometimes I feel blessed to be British.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #63
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

This is obviously a bit biased but this is a pretty interesting thing to watch, I suppose.

BORKED

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #64
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #65
deh74
Noted homosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Quoting from a CNN article I just saw (so take with a grain of salt):

Not exactly sure how they prove that final statement, but I have to admit that it's kinda cool (in a very bad way ^^; ) to think that our Congressional gridlock right now has a mirror in the famous Congress of Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, and John C. Calhoun. Makes me wonder if this is on the horizon!

Nobody has been caned on the floor of congress in a suspiciously long time in my opinion.

PASBL

Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #66
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Anyway, if you Brits want to reassert colonial rule, feel free, at least we might have access to good chocolate.
OK.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #67
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Sounds good, apart from driving on the left (we invented the car, do it our way), and the ban on American Football. We get that you guys hate games where anything happens and we adopted that in Baseball, but we fixed Rugby by turning it into a TV friendly product that's played by the greatest athletes in the world, much like the Canadians fixed your "Football" by playing it on ice with sticks- you guys should check it out, there are more than three shots a game and everything.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #68
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Teehee snarky Muyo =3
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #69
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I especially like how in the same post he both argues for the supremacy of primacy ("Do it our way! We invented it!") and the supremacy of ultimacy ("Do it our way! We improved it!").

Oh wait.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #70
Mercutio
Banned

Rugby is way more watchable than American Football imo And, of course, both are better than the abomination that is Aussie rules!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #71
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

So on a more sensible note; from the US perspective, what're the chances Congress gets its shit together before it all goes seriously tits up? I mean is it like "this is blatantly a negotiating tactic and they'll never let it go too far" or "good chance we're looking at the second American-created global financial crash in recent years" or somewhere in between? British and American political culture are so different that it's rather difficult to tell from an outside perspective. If budget squabbling ever went as far in the UK as it already has in the US it would probably trigger fresh elections and the government being out on their arses.

Last edited by Concept; 10-07-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #72
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
So on a more sensible note; from the US perspective, what're the chances Congress gets its shit together before it all goes seriously tits up? I mean is it like "this is blatantly a negotiating tactic and they'll never let it go too far" or "good chance we're looking at the second American-created global financial crash in recent years" or somewhere in between? British and American political culture are so different that it's rather difficult to tell from an outside perspective. If budget squabbling ever went as far in the UK as it already has in the US it would probably trigger fresh elections and the government being out on their arses.
In recent years, what we're seeing happen right now has become an increasingly common procedure. It's gotten to the point where I think Boy Who Cried Wolf effects have kicked in in full force and most of us will be rudely awakened if in fact the shit ever does hit the fan. Personally, I have little doubt that:
  1. this isn't going to be the ruin of the country, the domestic market, or the global market nor anything close to it.
  2. this is going to be publicly laid to rest days -- even hours -- before the much-hyped-about point of no return while in reality they've probably already sorted it out
  3. you'll be hearing a similar story some time again in 2014
It's happened with Bush-era tax cuts. It's happened with Obamacare. It's happened over so many relatively minor and major things over the past ten years that I've lost count.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #73
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I think I read somewhere that if Congress can't get its shit together and vote on the debt ceiling again, the US will default on their loans, which may or may not be catastrophic to both the US and world economy. This might be hyperbole though, I wish I remembered where I saw this.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #74
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

It would likely cause lending companies to reduce our credit rating again, which doesn't really benefit the American economy but will likely not hurt it that much in the long run.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #75
deh74
Noted homosexual

Our credit rating will probably go down to an A- or a B if we default. Then investors panic which is where the real damage is caused.

PASBL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate