UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 03-02-2022, 01:48 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Thoughts on the Russo-Ukraine War

Volodymyr Zelenskyy is the most courageous politician I've ever seen in my life, or that I can remember anyway. Crises are a test of character and his is the biggest of all crises. I hope he isn't killed.

I've been pretty meh on Biden but now I outright loathe him, especially after the State of the Union. His intelligence guaranteed him that Putin was going to invade no matter what, but instead he still tried a deterrence strategy and didn't offer to lift sanctions rather than threaten to add more.

Sanctions since the 2014 annexation of Crimea is what helped percolate the conflict today, a stagnant economy under the oppression of a viral pandemic. So either you arm Ukraine before Russia invades, and max out sanctions to hurt Russia the most, or you offer carrot/stick well in advance of the springtime to help Putin out.

The last three US presidents didn't really care about Ukraine at all, it's of little political and economic consideration to the US and outside of it being a Democratic Republic in the US image, it otherwise has no worth to the country. But being a Democratic Republic should be enough, right? I guess the US is capitalist first and democratic second.

Biden also lied throughout the speech, according to the military analysts I'm reading Russia's invasion is going right on schedule. There's been setback in the air, but the ground attack is progressing well and Kyiv should be fully occupied by next week.

So yeah. I've been really disgusted with my own country's lackadaisical attitude towards the whole event.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:08 AM   #2
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Volodymyr Zelenskyy is the most courageous politician I've ever seen in my life, or that I can remember anyway. Crises are a test of character and his is the biggest of all crises. I hope he isn't killed.

I've been pretty meh on Biden but now I outright loathe him, especially after the State of the Union. His intelligence guaranteed him that Putin was going to invade no matter what, but instead he still tried a deterrence strategy and didn't offer to lift sanctions rather than threaten to add more.

Sanctions since the 2014 annexation of Crimea is what helped percolate the conflict today, a stagnant economy under the oppression of a viral pandemic. So either you arm Ukraine before Russia invades, and max out sanctions to hurt Russia the most, or you offer carrot/stick well in advance of the springtime to help Putin out.

The last three US presidents didn't really care about Ukraine at all, it's of little political and economic consideration to the US and outside of it being a Democratic Republic in the US image, it otherwise has no worth to the country. But being a Democratic Republic should be enough, right? I guess the US is capitalist first and democratic second.

Biden also lied throughout the speech, according to the military analysts I'm reading Russia's invasion is going right on schedule. There's been setback in the air, but the ground attack is progressing well and Kyiv should be fully occupied by next week.

So yeah. I've been really disgusted with my own country's lackadaisical attitude towards the whole event.
Thoughts on this 3 months later
1. Yes, the US is always capitalist first as opposed to democracy first, both domestically and in regard to foreign policy. It sux. :/

2. One thing I don't think Putin expected was Sweden/Finland joining NATO as a result of this war. XD Blow-back

3. I can tell that you hate Biden, but any thoughts on Putin?

4. Interesting points brought up about the timing and nature of the sanctions, but after the invasion of Donbas and annexation of Crimea, what would you have done differently? Declare war? Ignore the invasion altogether?

5. I agree that Russia is -slowly- winning the war. They are on the precipice of catching a third major city in the Donbas. After fumbling the first month, the focus has been on where Russia has a beach-head and some support- Donbas. After, Donbas falls.... who knows. Most analysts agree they have torn through most of their resources, and in light of giving up on conscription recently and hoping to speed up the clock on reconciliation and end of sanctions, the sooner the war ends the better. A literal occupation and annexation of all of Ukraine would clearly take years, and may be impossible now that the EU has accepted it into the fold. I can imagine Putin's aim now (perhaps it was the whole time) is to annex Donbas, create a bridge to Crimea, and maybe even make a bridge into Transnistria.

The reason I would say they are "winning" is because a successful land grab is a successful land grab, especially if there as never a stated goal which describes hat victory would look like, as the goal post doesn't have to be moved and Putin can save face.
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate