UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
What do you mean by this?
All the gym leaders spend time outside their gym, have jobs/hobbies (Waiter, Artist, Model, CEO, Pilot etc.), fight against the bad guys and most importantly have personalities. They kind of come across as the badass protectors of whatever town their gym is from.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm hunting the first Gym Leader as we speak.

Is there a way to load the game? I've found a way to save, but not load.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What do you mean? Is this a rom-specific question or is it a general question for the games? In general, you don't have save files to load in Pokemon because you only ever are allowed one save file. So it saves to the save file. If you choose to start a new game, you'll either need to copy your old save file to somewhere for safe keeping (rom only) or else say buh-bye to all your old accomplishments as you overwrite the old file with the new one.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #29
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I lost a battle and blacked out. I want to load to my save and repeat that battle without screwing up. But, I only see an option to save my game, not Load my saved progress.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Have you saved since blacking out? If so, you're shit out of luck. If not, you have two options:
1: lose all your progress since your last save by re-loading it (i.e. turning off the DS and turning it back on) and re-progressing forward.
2: keep going

2's the option you're locked into if you've already saved, while 1's the alternative you can select if you haven't yet saved since blacking out. Neither's ideal, but ...

When I try to suggest the games need multiple save files, I get shot down by the fanboys, Doppel. Now maybe they see one example in the flesh of why it'd be good to have multiple saves per gamepak.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't remember if the original RBY had a Load option, but that's pretty screwed up if I have to turn off the DS just to Load back my progress. I don't think the game is structured in a way such that it's important (i.e., I can still go back and repeat that battle...probably?) but I'm several Yen in the hole, and I'd rather keep what funds I can spare.

I was savvy enough to not save, and shut down the DS on a rage-hunch.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No, it never did. The game's only ever had one save file. If you think about what they were trying to do ever since the beginning with Red and Green, though, it makes sense:

They want you to buy both versions of the same game. People think Pokémon's a $30 to $40 handheld game, but in reality (Nintendo hopes!) it's a $60 to $80 game for many people. Especially back in the old days. Because back in the old days, if you wanted to get all the Pokemon you pretty much had to buy both games yourself and trade with yourself. This may not have been true for small children who could easily find people to trade with at grade school or for fans in densely-populated areas, but for those of us who were teens living in suburbia or the rural farmlands of America, it was most certainly the case.

If you allowed someone to have multiple save files on one cart, his incentive for getting the other gamepak would be reduced to just the arguments laid out previously: trading with himself to "catch 'em all." But what if he doesn't care about catching 'em all? What if he just wants to start all over and play again? That's where the one-save-per-pak comes in. As an added bonus to the company, you force the kid into buying the exact same game twice: so he uses one pak as his "base of operations" pak and he uses the other as his "experimental" pak which he overwrites whenever he feels like starting a new game.

Fast forward to 2006 (Japan) / 2007 (international). With the advent of the GTS and wireless WAN play, people no longer felt compelled to purchase both versions of the game to catch 'em all. They could just trade with their friends, or even with complete strangers on the GTS, and get everything they wanted. So now, the only thing keeping OCD kids from buying both game paks is the fact that, you guessed it, you can only have one save file per pak. Take away that restriction and you pretty much remove the only remaining incentive fans have for owning more than one copy of the games per person.

If the games could have multiple saves, households might only need one copy of the game. This is true for an RPG like Final Fantasy XII or a shooter like Half-Life 2 where the number of save files possible is far greater than any one person needs. (50 for FF2, limitless afaik for HL2.) So you're not going to find many households that have multiple copies of these games. But for Pokemon, you have only one save file and whammo: you force Mom and Dad to buy one game pak per child. So what would have been a $35 purchase becomes a $105 purchase for a family with three kids.

And yet fans have the gall to defend this business practice as perfectly acceptable. This is what I'm dealing with, Doppel: the fans are willingly blind to how much GameFreak neglects us, whether by their own choosing (as with their refusal to do an MMO) or by their parent company's (as is likely the case for the lack of multiple save files on single gamepaks).
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #33
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is it really about trying to get people to buy both games? The Zelda Gameboy games had multiple save slots IIRC, and one needed to beat both to unlock the true end.

In any matter, while I can agree with the merit of multiple saves, and while it's pretty weird that Gamefreak's games don't have them when practically all other games do, what I was lamenting wasn't the fact that I didn't have multiple saves, but that saving is worthless because I can't even load my saved progress without turning off the DS!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #34
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Personally, I'd love multiple save files. I remember that I used to play LeafGreen for a few hours and see how far I could get before my GBA batteries needed changing. Made it to Vermillion once.

But even with White, I wouldn't mind playing again to do a more challenging game, possibly mono-Water or mono-Bug, rather then have to go out and buy Black. And my emulator is lolslow.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
In any matter, while I can agree with the merit of multiple saves, and while it's pretty weird that Gamefreak's games don't have them when practically all other games do, what I was lamenting wasn't the fact that I didn't have multiple saves, but that saving is worthless because I can't even load my saved progress without turning off the DS!
Ah. Well, that's just lazy programming for you. You're absolutely right that a Return-to-Main-Menu feature is common in many games. But not Pokémon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Personally, I'd love multiple save files.
Cool. Glad to hear it.

Last edited by Talon87; 03-10-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #36
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Also, Dopple, there's an easy way to restart if you black out or the Legendary you're trying to catch dies, just hit L+R+Select+Start, that triggers Soft Reset, and it starts up from the title screen.

Pretty much the same but you don't have to turn the DS off.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #37
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Also, Dopple, there's an easy way to restart if you black out or the Legendary you're trying to catch dies, just hit L+R+Select+Start, that triggers Soft Reset, and it starts up from the title screen.

Well, it saves you the time of sitting through the DS's loading routine, at least.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #38
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
the fans are willingly blind
Not blind to it- Just acknowledge it as a perfectly legitimate marketing tactic. As you said yourself, if they introduced multiple save files, profits could drop as much as 50% (more like 30%, but you get my drift).
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #39
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

That's why I only buy one game each gen. I play the game and don't miss anything.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

But think about it: if Square-Enix announced that FF15 would only support a single save file per Blu-Ray+PS3 combo, and if they said "the only way to have more than one save file is to either buy the game twice or else to play the same BD on multiple PS3s," fans would call it for what it is: terrible.

Put another way: what if you could only have one save file in Mario Galaxy? And Nintendo's answer was, "Don't like it? Then go buy another Wii to install a second save file on. " Would you side with Nintendo or would you side with the fans who cracked the Wii to allow multiple save states on the same console?

Let's put it a third and final way: what if Nintendo came out tomorrow and said, "We know you suckers want Zelda bad. Well, if you want it so bad, how does $100 sound? That's right, bozos: Skyward Sword goes on sale next March for USD 99.99." Would you consider this "all well and good"? After all, it's a fair business practice to set whatever prices you want, right? Of course it is! "If the fans are suckers enough to pay $99.99 for a Zelda title, why not?" you say!

Let's face it: you would never accept these practices in other franchises. In fact, the practice is so absurd it's almost unthinkable to imagine a company actually deciding to implement it at the risk of alienating its market. But with Pokemon, they have a market who will blindly follow them into Hell and back again. And there's the problem: fanbase complacency, the fans' willingness to accept poor standards that would never fly in any other gamer community, is what leads us to still only have one save file per pak, amongst other terribly backwards or obtuse aspects of the franchise's flagship titles.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #41
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Put another way: what if you could only have one save file in Mario Galaxy? And Nintendo's answer was, "Don't like it? Then go buy another Wii to install a second save file on. " Would you side with Nintendo or would you side with the fans who cracked the Wii to allow multiple save states on the same console?

Why would you want more than one file on Mario?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #42
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What part of "multiple children per household" don't you get? ^^; As I already explained, it is customary for parents to purchase one Pokemon game for each child. This is absurd when viewed in the context of every other common video game: from Mario to Halo, from Mass Effect to Gran Turismo, one game sports multiple save files so that different people in the same household can each have their own experience of beating the game solo.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #43
Lady Kuno

Do you have siblings Talon? Sharing is not caring.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You should remember this since I mention her often enough , but yeah I do, a kid sister, and believe it or not I gave her my (then-unopened) copy of Pokémon Gold because I wanted a buddy to play with and she was interested but not willing to buy her own (second) copy. At the time, I was so blinded by Pokémania it made sense to me that it would be rational for our household to have one copy of Silver and two copies of Gold between two children. Looking back on it now, I realize how obsessed I was and how stupid that was of me.

But yeah. I committed the ultimate act of sharing, Kuno: I gave. I gave her my Pokemon Gold.

I should point out, that same kid sister has her own specially-reserved save files on my personally-owned copies of New Super Mario Bros. (DS and Wii versions both). I don't touch 'em, I don't delete 'em, and I don't need to. Three save files is enough for two kids, easy: one permanent save file for each child and one temporary save file for the two to share.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #45
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:

Does that work on the emulator you're using (which, from your slow comment, I assume to be DeSuMe?). I've tried that code but didn't get a reaction from the emulator.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #46
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
What part of "multiple children per household" don't you get? ^^; As I already explained, it is customary for parents to purchase one Pokemon game for each child. This is absurd when viewed in the context of every other common video game: from Mario to Halo, from Mass Effect to Gran Turismo, one game sports multiple save files so that different people in the same household can each have their own experience of beating the game solo.
They're totally different though. Mario and similar games have linear playthrough- you can simply hand it to the next in line after you beat the game. Pokemon? No. I don't think I have to explain why. The word 'competitive' should do more than enough, and that's only one of multiple reasons.
Quote:
Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #47
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't follow you Kindrindra. I think not saying the multiple reasons was a big part of the confusion.

I've got some game questions -

1. What does Attract do? Why does it allow my opponents to attack twice in a round?
2. What happened to that Physical/Special thing that lead to Hyper Beam being split into Hyper Beam and ExtremeSpeed I think?
3. Is it better to catch low level Pokemon and train them up, because trainer Pokemon have higher stats than wild Pokemon of equivalent level? I seem to recall this being the case in the original games, but I don't know if it's still true. Back then I think, catching a low level Pidgeotto in the Viridian Forest would produce a Pigeotto far more powerful than even Pidgey trained by trainers from a weaker level that evolved into Pidgeotto at the proper level.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #48
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
They're totally different though. Mario and similar games have linear playthrough- you can simply hand it to the next in line after you beat the game. Pokemon? No. I don't think I have to explain why. The word 'competitive' should do more than enough, and that's only one of multiple reasons.
You're not addressing what I've said at all. Who said anything about handing the controller over to another kid so he can play on the same file as the previous player? I believe I said the exact opposite: that you'd hand the game over to the other kid who then loads up his own personal save file and enjoys unlocking his own accomplishments. Then when the second kid hands the game back to the first kid, the first kid's accomplishments are all untouched, safe and sound on Save File #1 right where he left them.

The problem with Pokémon and its singular save file is that you cannot do this. You cannot hand the game over to somebody else because then they will effectively ruin your Story Mode experience by playing through parts of the game that you'd wanted to be the one to play through. You seem to be saying, "This is terrible and it's why we don't share Pokémon games." I'm saying, "This is terrible -- and it wouldn't have to be a problem at all if we had multiple save files per game pak." You're either deliberately ignoring my point or else ... I dunno. But I think I've been abundantly clear about it in this post, so if you're still confused, I guess I'd ask you to let me know and I'll try explaining it one more time.

Also, like Doppel said, I'd like to hear the "multiple reasons" you have against Pokémon carts being shared with others. Please be sure to differentiate between the reasons which only apply to the games with one save file and the reasons which apply to the games regardless of however many save files they could have on them. I'm pretty sure any reason you list is going to come back to the one-save-file-per-pak problem, and my answer is then going to be, "Dude: these 'problems' would all disappear if we could have multiple saves per pak."

Did none of you share as children?

Quote:
I've got some game questions -

1. What does Attract do? Why does it allow my opponents to attack twice in a round?
2. What happened to that Physical/Special thing that lead to Hyper Beam being split into Hyper Beam and ExtremeSpeed I think?
3. Is it better to catch low level Pokemon and train them up, because trainer Pokemon have higher stats than wild Pokemon of equivalent level? I seem to recall this being the case in the original games, but I don't know if it's still true. Back then I think, catching a low level Pidgeotto in the Viridian Forest would produce a Pigeotto far more powerful than even Pidgey trained by trainers from a weaker level that evolved into Pidgeotto at the proper level.
1. Attract is a move which only works when a male uses it on a female or vice-versa. It renders the victim "attracted," meaning that they only have about a one-in-three or so chance of successfully pulling off their attack each turn. If they fail to execute their attack due to attraction, they just sit there doing nothing. If you KO the Pokemon who attracted you, you'll break the spell. Alternatively, you can recall your Pokemon and, when you send it back out, it'll be fine. (credit to Concept for catching my errors)

2. Hyper Beam (special) and Giga Impact (physical). It's still here. What do you want to know? If you look at moves on your creatures (from the "POKEMON" menu option while on the overworld map), you can see symbols next to the moves. An orange explosion symbol is physical. A purple Third Eye is special. A white-and-gray symbol means that it is neither, usually because it's a status-inducing move or a healing move or something.

3. It was truer in RBY than it has been since Gen 3. You're probably going to confuse the younger kids here with what you're talking about; they won't remember Chris Pioli's Rhyhorn experiment in the patch of grass north of Pallet Town nor the other experiments which led to our primitive understanding of proto-EVs. Basically, back in Gen 1, you ran the real risk of not being able to max your creatures stats if you leveled it up too fast relative to the number of creatures you killed. That's more or less been a non-issue since Gen 3. You'd have to try very hard to get to Level 100 without getting the 508 EVs maximum. I'd say "do what you have to do to advance the team" is a good rule of thumb. In general, I'd keep a Pidgeotto I'd raised, Lvl 19, over capturing a wild one, Lvl 22; but I'd box that same Pidgeotto, Lvl 19, if I ran into and captured a wild one, Lvl 45. You know what I mean?

Last edited by Talon87; 03-10-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #49
Lady Kuno

I wasn't the one that had the choice the share, I was the one not being shared to.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #50
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
1. Attract confuses Pokémon of the opposite gender. Confusion is a status affliction which doesn't have its own special symbol (like how being poisoned is PSN or paralysis is PAR). If you're confused, you have a one-in-three (or so) chance of not executing your move properly that turn. Instead, you hit yourself in the face and cause damage to yourself. Otherwise, you perform your attack like normal. Confusion goes away on its own eventually, but you can make it go away immediately by recalling the creature and sending out someone else in its place.
Attraction is a different status to confusion - whereas confusion gives them a chance to hit themselves in the face, attraction just gives them a chance to not do anything. Otherwise they're the same, except attraction is dropped if the pokemon that used it is withdrawn and attraction doesn't cure itself on its own.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON