UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Togepi Breeding

I just had a question about breeding, Serebii.net doesn't address it, and I was wondering if anyone else might know.

When is the gender of an egg decided (or for that matter, if it's shiny or not)? When you receive it, or when it hatches? Does anyone know?

Reason I ask is, I have one Togepi egg and would like a female and can't breed for it yet, and it has an 87.5% chance of it being male. I have my game saved at one step before it hatches, and I want to know if restarting over and over will be profitable or pointless.

Last edited by unownmew; 07-21-2011 at 09:08 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Everything about the egg (IVs, Nature, Ability, Gender) is decided when you receive the egg from the daycare centre.

Yeah, I know this sucks. Best way to get a system going is to have a Flyer and something with Magma Armour/Flame Body, get four eggs and Fly to the local cycling road (Skyarrow Bridge is good in BW), hatch one, check, Fly back, pick new one up, Fly back, rinse and repeat.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari
Spoiler: show

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
unownmew
Banned

I was afraid of that. *sigh* I suppose it does make sense, and prevents players from "cheating."

I guess I should have saved before receiving it from Cynthia and speedily hatched it, rinse and repeat if not female.

Thanks for the answer, and thanks for the breeding advice too.

Last edited by unownmew; 07-21-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Assuming you want a first-generation female simply for breeding purposes, you should probably go ahead and hatch your Togepi and then go onto the GTS and look for trades involving female Togepis. That is, assuming the fifth-gen GTS is up and running, right?

Alternatively, when does one first see a Ditto in Gen V? You could get a Ditto off the GTS in a similar manner if it's already in your PokéDex ...
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
unownmew
Banned

This is 4th gen, Platinum, and I'm emulating it (I don't own a DS), so I can't trade with people.

I heard from Blue that you can't get ditto until you finish the Sinnoh 'dex.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

No. You don't need the Sinnoh 'dex finished, you just need the National 'dex unlocked, which is done simply after defeating the Elite 4.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
No. You don't need the Sinnoh 'dex finished, you just need the National 'dex unlocked, which is done simply after defeating the Elite 4.
Really? That's good to hear. I'm glad I don't have to finish the 'dex, I've yet to finish a Pokedex in any game.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Clarification: You unlock the National Dex by completing the Sinnoh Dex. If you've been keeping up with Pokémon sightings/Trainer battles up to the E4, then yes, beating them would probably give you the last few needed to unlock it.

Source: I recently played Platinum myself via emulation. I hadn't seen/captured Rotom or the Lake Spirits by the time I beat the E4. Only after I completed those entries did I unlock the National Dex.

As for breeding, I had the same problem. For future reference, gender is predetermined as soon as an egg becomes available for pick-up from the Daycare, not the moment when you receive it. I spent hours trying to hatch a male Rhyhorn so I could pass on DIG to my Buneary. x_X
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
unownmew
Banned

Ah, so Yuki was right after all. ^^;

Ouch, that completely sucks. >_> Thanks for the tip, and saving me hours myself.

Last edited by unownmew; 07-24-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON