UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #26
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Hated the battle system through the whole thing, was only playing for the story which I was already spoiled on and had no investment in since I didn't play the first game anyway. Got up to Marluxia and gave up, never touched the game again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
That reminds me of the time I attempted to learn how to fish in Zelda: Twilight Princess. The way you fish in the actual fishing area is different than when you're just trying to catch fish in a random river, so it was confusing. You had to watch for the bobber to arbitrarily sink, at which point a fish may or may not have bitten, and then you had to just put the controller perfectly vertical for the duration of the fight (not pull back on it like I was doing), but put it back down if you saw the fish jump out of the water. I don't know, is this how fishing works in real life? If so then I apologize for my criticism.

Retarded controls aside, I spent quite a bit of time at the ol' fishing hole, because it was such a comforting atmosphere. Especially at the rare time when the moon is reflected in the water. Either that place or Flanoir in Tales of Symphonia, that's the life for me.
Can't quite compare comments on the controls since I played TP on the GC, but I agree about the relaxing atmosphere. I got so frustrated with the barrel sidequest that I had to take a break and go fishing to calm down. Then I figured out all you had to do was...

Spoiler: show
...stay on the side of the canyon so monsters can't attack you. >.>;

The weird part was I had already beaten the game before, so dunno how I got past that part the first time...

I remember two other "facepalm" instances in that game where I didn't ragequit per se, but had to finally resort to a guide - both for dumb reasons. One was on the burning bridge since I didn't realize you could...

Spoiler: show
...climb on top of the box to jump into the water below.

And then there was just plain stupidity on both sides of the screen where I got stuck in one of the sword-training sessions since I wasn't paying attention to the instructions, and couldn't leave until I performed the move. ^^;

Concept's story also reminds me of my first time facing Ganon in OoT. I didn't know you had to use the Master Sword to deal the final blow, so I ended up fighting for like two hours. Didn't ragequit so much as take breaks (was playing on an emulator). Was actually enjoying it since I got into a good rhythm, just tiring after a while. Ganondorf's second-to-last stage in TP, on the other hand... *shudder* SHOOT STRAIGHT, ZELDA! (...Though who am I to talk when I had just as much trouble aiming at Puppet Ganon's Snake form in WW.)

Speaking of which, I didn't know you could jump over the sharks in WW either. I think I was forced to actually quit a couple times since they kept knocking me off the boat and I couldn't get back in. =x Certainly put a damper on my experience...

Don't recall really ragequitting SS at any point, but the harp and skydiving mini-games were super-frustrating until I kinda got the hang of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I wonder how you'd get out of that on an emulator. Do they have a key mapped in most DS emulators to the microphone? I bet they must, for precisely games like this one that require mic functionality else you can never proceed.
I hear you can use a microphone if you have one, but it never worked for me. The alternative is to switch to internal recording and it will register the game's music as speech (helps if you turn the volume up/play more sound in the background).

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 01-29-2013 at 09:56 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

> Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Hated the battle system through the whole thing, was only playing for the story which I was always spoiled on and had no investment in since I didn't play the first game anyway. Got up to Marluxia and gave up, never touched the game again.

I love Kingdom Hearts but fuck that game. Worst battle system.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
> Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Hated the battle system through the whole thing, was only playing for the story which I was always spoiled on and had no investment in since I didn't play the first game anyway. Got up to Marluxia and gave up, never touched the game again.

I love Kingdom Hearts but fuck that game. Worst battle system.
Oh good so I'm not the only one. That was a horrible battle system.

I quit that game pretty early too.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Sneaze
Mrow?

CoM's battle system is notoriously horrid.

Anyway, a recent ragequit for me:

Playing Assassin's Creed III. In a mission in which I am on my horse and have to kill a few people before they get to a certain point on tge map. Easy. Or so I think. I try it a few times and fail, always at the last guy. I chalk this up to running into obstacles, taking too long killing the others, etc. I finally have a go where I am doing flawless. No stopping, no unnecessary fighting. Nothing going wrong. I'm barreling down on the last guy waiting to be in shooting range whe suddenly TARGET HAS REACHED DESTINATION. Fail. Just like that. I DIDN'T EVEN GET CLOSE TO HIM. My controller hit the wall. Not really sure how it still works (though it now quite frequently has problems with its batteries).

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #30
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Let me tell you something about Mario Kart. I played my fair share of Mario Kart Wii, and managed to get a rating in the 9000s. The key to winning is to get out in front and stay in front. At the risk of just sounding like John Madden there, allow me to explain.

YOU SEE, this game is indeed chaos. I refer to the pack of cars in the middle constantly firing weapons at each other and bumping each other off the track as "The Shit". It's crucial to stay out of The Shit so you don't wipe out every 2 seconds, which may or may not be made up with a few lucky items before the race ends. Even if being in 1st place means you get crappy items, and are hit with the occasional blue shell, it's still worth it to stay out of The Shit. Sometimes it's worth it to intentionally stop your vehicle and allow everyone to pass you on the first lap before getting a question block, so you can get a bullet bill or invincible star and fly out into first place.

Obviously it's hard to get into 1st place and stay there without learning how to actually drive optimally, so there's that too. But I hear too many people complain about how the game is all luck because of the crazy items, and the high potential to be screwed over in any number of ways. What they really need to do is learn just how bad The Shit is, and how they can alleviate a lot of pain by staying out of it at all costs.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 01-31-2013 at 06:46 AM.
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

If your gonna bring Mario Kart, let's talk about the amount of friendships Mario Party constantly threatens to end.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #32
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
I was smoking some serious Bubba Kush, and I decided it would be an awesome idea to play some Skyrim. I thought it would be an even better idea to walk (I mean actually walk, not jog or run) all the way from Riften to Markarth. It was night, and I have RCRN (Realistic Colors and Real Nights) installed, so I can barely see my weapon in front of my face. So it's just me, my torch, and the pitch black night, for well over half an hour, but it was raining and the gentle thunder sounds were extremely relaxing and were totally enhancing my high.

But then suddenly I mis-stepped, fell about ten feet off a small cliff, and suffered an instant critical existence failure. Because Skyrim is one of those games where one can have a maxed out armor rating, and still instantly die after falling ten feet.

WWWWAAAAGGGGEEEE!

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 02-02-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #33
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

FIFA 12 vs AI on the highest difficulty is infuriating and hilariously unfair at the same time.

The Football Manager franchise is also excellent to wreck your nerves completely after a day of work.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #34
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So Dark Souls is one of the toughest games I've played in a long time - partly this is because I can't go online with the Xbox on the college network. The real ragequit moment? Looked up patch notes (for patches I obviously can't download because of no internet) to see if they fixed a glitch I encountered - discover that one of the very first patches doubled most experience point rewards.

No wonder I always feel short of souls ;;
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #35
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

My ragequit game was Megaman & Bass until I swore off ever trying ta play it again >.< I can beat MM1-8 with fairly little trouble but on this game I can beat 1 robot master barely ever make it to another n/m beating one. A poor GBA port could be to blame but overall it just feels drastically harder then I ever got accustomed to!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #36
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Three words: Devil May Cry.

That entire goddamn game is a ragequit moment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games