UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 02-27-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Nintendo Wifi Connection ending May 20th Worldwide

Quote:
As of May 20, 2014, certain online functionality offered through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection will no longer be accessible. The discontinued services include online play, matchmaking and leaderboards for many Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games. For a comprehensive list of games and services that are affected, please check http://support.nintendo.com/servicesupdate. Users can still play the games in offline mode, which continues to offer a rich game-play experience.

Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems). Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.

We at Nintendo sincerely thank our fans for their continued support of our company’s legacy systems. Your enthusiasm for games made for these systems speaks to their longevity, and the passion of Nintendo fans.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/in...2014/0227.html (JP)

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/det...Y7bvzOrgBURhzw (US)

http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php...=3383&pageID=6 (AU)

This also means games with "DLC" will be lost to the abyss. Such as DQIX's store & dlc quests and Pokémon Ranger's download quests. Better get 'em while they're hot?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Yeah, I've been waiting for this. Capcom had already dumped their online service for Wii's Monster Hunter Tri last April, pretty much telling us this was going to happen with all Wii games eventually.

I guess people may want to play older games online now for nostalgia's sake before the service ends.

Or just let it die...
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This may actually affect me, I just realized. I still need to pick up a copy of Professor Layton 4 (DS) and 5 (3DS). I want all of the DLC content for both games. Layton 5's unaffected by this news, but Layton 4 on the other hand ... uh oh. :\
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Nooooo Battle Revolution Whyyyyyy
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I guess that means my Gen IV-V games will finally be an island.

Sad times.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Sneaze
Mrow?

Dammit Nintendo at least wait until you release the new SSB and put out a Mario Kart for the Wii U.

Edit: Also, why is this not important enough to be in the News forum?

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
This may actually affect me, I just realized. I still need to pick up a copy of Professor Layton 4 (DS) and 5 (3DS). I want all of the DLC content for both games. Layton 5's unaffected by this news, but Layton 4 on the other hand ... uh oh. :\
Reading around posts about this at lotsa places it seems some DS game DLC is already on the carts an can be unlocked with an Action Replay instead of an online tick so thats kinda good. This goes for your Layton 4 game an even DQIX, woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Edit: Also, why is this not important enough to be in the News forum?
Cause I'm dumb an don't think! Plus the last time I tried ta move a thread things got all @_@ Nice ta see someone plopped into news!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Reading around posts about this at lotsa places it seems some DS game DLC is already on the carts an can be unlocked with an Action Replay instead of an online tick so thats kinda good. This goes for your Layton 4 game an even DQIX, woohoo!
Good to hear. Thanks for the heads up. I don't have an Action Replay ^^; , but it's nice to know that the game content is already on the cartridge and thus can theoretically be unlocked by spoofing a Nintendo WFC connection and communicating the proper code(s) over to the DS.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
Wow. Stop being such cheap wads Nintendo. This is the ultimate cheap wad move ever. This basically ruins a lot of DSi and Wii games that were still worth playing.

Also, I think you may have forgotten about Conquest on your list of games affected in the other thread. :]

Friend Code/Username list
Spoiler: show
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Nintendo is shutting down services that were offered free of charge to us fans. Even if we want to argue that these costs were factored into the retail prices of the games, Nintendo's games handheld games continue to thankfully cost only ~$40, 33% less than most video games for home consoles and only a $5 to $10 markup from what they used to cost for Game Boy back in the '90s if I recall correctly. Considering that a $5 (or roughly 12.5%) difference hardly accounts for inflation over a period of twenty-four years, I would say that we've been enjoying a pretty decent deal here. (The U.S. government's inflation calculator indicates that $30 in 1990 would have the same purchasing power as $53.69 today. So be thankful that DS games don't retail for $55!)

That stated, I miss the days when everything that was on a game was accessible to the player without being an electrical engineer or computer hacker. I don't understand why a Professor Layton game has one hundred built-in bonus mysteries for you to enjoy after you beat the game but which are all locked behind a DLC wall. Especially not when that DLC wall required zero dollars and zero cents to legally bypass. It was not a paywall: it was simply a "Hey! Do you have an internet connection and five spare minutes? " wall. I don't see the point in that. If you want the bonus content to be hidden from the player until after they complete certain objectives, fine: but then just code the game to hide that content until the player reaches certain flags; and when those flags are reached, reveal the hidden content. It's not that hard. It's what most fighting games do for the non-DLC bonus costumes. So why not do it for the free-of-charge DLC costumes too? I could list off dozens of similar examples.

Long story short, most if not all of the problems that I have with this news stem from my problems with the DLC model of giving players bonus content (whether it's on-game DLC or not and whether it's free DLC or not). I have no problem with Nintendo deciding to terminate a WiFi service that they were offering free of charge if they've decided that it's literally not worth it to keep that WiFi service running.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
Yeah. I just feel like complaining though. Mostly because so many awesome games are going to be affected.

Friend Code/Username list
Spoiler: show
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #12
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Some reading around, I seen a buncha places coming to similar conclusion as ta why this is happening.

Quote:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ng-online-play

Before Nintendo made the announcement public, a source told GamesIndustry International the shutdown was imminent, and pointed to a dissolving partnership with Glu's GameSpy Technology as the reason for the shutdown. Nintendo announced it was licensing GameSpy tech for the DS online network in 2005, and expanded the relationship in 2007 to offer online functionality for Wii games.
Nintendo partnered with Gamespy for all its pre-3DS online solutions. Gamespy gets bought up, new owners apparently wanna kill it by driving companies away with extortinist pricing! Obviously Nintendo can't reverse engineer Glu-spy's stuff, an games for either system can't be patched so even if they wanted to switch 'em over to the Nintendo Network its just not possible. So away all the online features go~
Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Some reading around, I seen a buncha places coming to similar conclusion as ta why this is happening.

Quote:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ng-online-play

Before Nintendo made the announcement public, a source told GamesIndustry International the shutdown was imminent, and pointed to a dissolving partnership with Glu's GameSpy Technology as the reason for the shutdown. Nintendo announced it was licensing GameSpy tech for the DS online network in 2005, and expanded the relationship in 2007 to offer online functionality for Wii games.
Nintendo partnered with Gamespy for all its pre-3DS online solutions. Gamespy gets bought up, new owners apparently wanna kill it by driving companies away with extortinist pricing! Obviously Nintendo can't reverse engineer Glu-spy's stuff, an games for either system can't be patched so even if they wanted to switch 'em over to the Nintendo Network its just not possible. So away all the online features go~
Interesting. So it isn't server fees as I thought it was but licensing fees for some proprietary software. And licensing fees owed to Gamespy of all companies, no less. That's pretty nuts. I had no idea that Gamespy did anything more than gaming journalism.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #14
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Huh, I'd actually be more satisfied with that reason... I originally thought this was all a stunt from Nintendo because people weren't switching to 3DS.

Gamespy is (was?) the service used to play Civ IV online with randoms! Of course, we never had to deal with it for our UPN games. I certainly won't miss it.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #15
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Hm, that sucks, but it's good to know that it wasn't a result of Nintendo trying to cover up for their failures but rather them getting cheated.

Which I guess isn't much better but at least it's not a result of Nintendo's failure.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 03-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #16
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Oddly enough, I had a feeling this was gonna happen, which sucks as I wanted to use PBR online sometime in the future.

Oh well, they better have a game like it on the Wii U.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #17
Nikomajor
Boulder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Nikomajor
This kind of affects me since I still trade in gens 4 and 5 of Pokemon.

However people have managed to hack and gain access to it through mobile phones and laptops.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy.
If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game’s publisher for more information.

Thanks for a great ride!

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/
Joining all them NWC games there's a lot of PC/PS3/360 games whose online features are gonna be nuked at the end of next month. Prolly safe ta say alot of 'em won't be getting new hosting services & patches to direct to 'em, especially the older a game is. Now instead of just Nintendo fans the whole gaming community can come together an weep for many a online modes.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #19
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

While I do know PC at least one game (Borderlands) which used Gamespy to connect online, their console versions didn't use it. They would connect simply through XBL and had consoles as their host. This would usually lead to problems should the host disconnect, but wasn't an issue on PC since they connected to remote servers to make drop-in and out more seamless.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #20
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Some crafty developers are making a Homebrew Wi-Fi Connection to keep Nintendo Wi-Fi games online! Unfortunately, news about the friend code database hasn't gotten around too well. If you want to keep playing your Wii/DS games online, submit them within the next 22 hours. You'll be able to jump on the servers even without doing this, but you may have to restart your game fresh to do so!
Hurry!

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News