UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #101
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm still not sure if I should buy that or not. It's at a good price and it looks nice, but damn I have too much already.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #102
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Project X Zone
- 61:57:58
I think most people finish under 60 hours but I was abit dumb for a big chunk of the early portion of the game. Its called an SRPG but really theres no strategy to it an that is more then fine with me! It wasn't like a cakewalk or anything, I did gameover a few times but still. I had fun from start to end an didn't get burnt out by the repetitive gameplay like others did cause I'm pretty immune like that. Loved how big a role "The World" played and that a Fighting Viper was included in the roster! They totally delivered on a fun crazy nonsensical crossover extravaganza!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #103
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Get:
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Shin Megami Tensei IV

About an hour into Fire Emblem and it's amazing. Haven't even started up SMT yet but the art book that came with it has pictures that indicate that the game is fucking beautiful.

Also, Chrom's voice is soothing as hell.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #104
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Final Fantasy VII
- 33:21:00

Sonic Generations
- 06:13:00
Better then Heroes by far but I'm still not sure yet if I like it or not. A buncha boss fights were good an there was fun ta be had in some of them challenge stages I tried but the main levels? idk. I'll have to go through 'em again sometime to give them a better look.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #105
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
Get:
Shin Megami Tensei IV

About an hour into Fire Emblem and it's amazing. Haven't even started up SMT yet but the art book that came with it has pictures that indicate that the game is fucking beautiful.

Make sure to register both of them on Club Nintendo if you haven't already for the eShop credit!
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #106
Swarley
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
Get:
Shin Megami Tensei IV

Fire Emblem Awakening is fantastic.

I never played the SMT series. Is it good, and are the games canonical?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #107
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Went on a bit of a DLC bing.

Get:
Dark Souls: Artorias the Abysswalker
Deus Ex Human Revolution: The Missing Link
Mass Effect 3: Leviathan
Mass Effect 3: Omega
Mass Effect 3: Citadel
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #108
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley View Post
Fire Emblem Awakening is fantastic.

I never played the SMT series. Is it good, and are the games canonical?
Canonical?

You realize that the anime is based on the games, yes?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #109
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Went on a bit of a DLC bing.

Get:
Mass Effect 3: Leviathan
Mass Effect 3: Omega
Mass Effect 3: Citadel
Lemme know how Citadel is. I hear it's humorous and pretty tongue in cheek, but adds very little to the overall story, but rather focuses on character (which is fine), but I don't want to pay $15 for it. Waiting for it to be sold on a discount sale.

I decided to buy Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. I was a bit interested to DD before, but opted against buying it since I knew no one else had the game. Now I wish more people had this game lol.

After about a dozen hours of playing it, it really feels like it was originally a Monster Hunter game that got scrapped and remade as a new franchise (like Devil May Cry was originally developed as a new Resident Evil game). It has a lot of elements similar to the new trailers for Monster Hunter 4, so there's a good chance the MH4 development team was influenced.

Good: The monster fights have thus far been pretty fun and epic. The large size of monsters and the ability to climb up them to stab/slash at weak spots is a cool and fun this to do. Also, the game world is pretty large. Not sure if it's Skyrim large, but pretty big. There's a lot to explore and plenty of side quests to do.

Bad: The pawns don't shut the fuck up! The game uses a pawn system, think of them as soulless slave people who fight with you. They can supposedly learn through experience fighting monsters and doing quests with you. You can also upload them and let other people play with your pawn and hopefully gain more knowledge while they quest with someone else and possibly get a reward when they come back to you. The terrible part is how they don't shut the fuck up. EVER. Walk past a tree, "You're likely to find something at the roots of trees!" Walk along the road, "These roads are in poor condition." Walk by the market, "Don't forget to save some money for the inn." FUCK! I don't need this shit every five seconds! I can stand around doing nothing in the middle of nowhere and they keep rambling on about something completely stupid and unnecessary!

Ugly: Textures are ugly. For a current generation game, it's really ugly. It's uglier than some PS2 games I've seen. The character and monster models are fair. NPC look stupid because their armor is blurry and the landscape is terrible. Rock walls look like splotches of grey.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #110
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Played/beat:

Ys: The Oath of Felghana
I played this for a few hours. I checked and was glad this game didn't have any shitty dash jumping. The combat was fun, and bosses required a good strategy to beat. Sadly, even though this title didn't have the same dash jumping Nephitism did, it still had some horrible platforming that made me ragequit. Basically it's the ice system. The ice sliding was rage inducing, and when I tried to hover over it with my hover abilities, the ice magically bogged me down. I got fed up with it after a while, so I just said "fuck this shit."

Fairy Bloom Freesia
This was a cute, fun little game. It's just a shame it takes 5 hours to beat, and I didn't really get to use the combos I set up to their fullest potential. If a sequel or expansion is ever made, I'll certainly check it out.

Etrian Odyssey II
Woo! I managed to beat this! As rage inducing as Etrian Odyssey can get, I'm glad I finally managed to push up the patience to finish Etrian Odyssey II. I mentioned this before, but the boss fights can be really fun. Though the grinding and sudden BS kills can get annoying. I have III and IV, but I'll wait a while before going through those. Etrian Odyssey is probably best taken in small doses at a time.

Get:

Tales if Xillia
I don't have high hopes for this, but I preordered it anyway! Afterall, Graces was only okay. I've played a bit into it, and I'm not impressed so far. I like the main girl (so fluffy!), but not much else. Also some of the scenes have this umm....it's hard to explain...bad amateur movie feel to them? Like one guy goes from calm to agitated for seemingly no reason, and sometimes the conversation flow can seem really unnatural. Thankfully it doesn't happen often (so far atleast), but it was enough to bug me.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #111
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Beat: Shin Megami Tensei IV
Finished a few days back. Ended up with the Bad End which is... bad, to say the least. Like, full on nihilistic or solipsist or some other philosophical thing like that. Luckily I saved before that and redid my choice so I could continue playing to an actual ending. Chaos end is pretty interesting but as much as I enjoyed it, I felt like I turned my character into the biggest asshole ever in the game. Besides Abbot Hugo. He's a twat and should be treated as such.

8/10 on the Kusari Scale. Probably going to replay for one of the other ends soon.

Finished this about 20 minutes ago because I'm trying to stay up for a while. Jesus H. Christ this game is fantastic. This is the first FE game that I've played for more than an hour and, even though I was pretty inexperienced at the certain nuances of the franchise's battle system, I decided to play on the easiest difficulty with Classic Mode on. I played with a female PC and went cliche by pairing her with Chrom. Mainly because I let his factory default love interest die on the map she was introduced. Woops. Anyway, besides them, I paired up Lon'qu and Tharja which is what made the game for me. He's so delightfully gynophobic and she's just the best stalker ever. Plus Lon'qu's interactions with Noire were pretty entertaining. Lon'qu with a Killing Edge backed up by Arc-spell Tharja will pretty much destroy anyone in the game. Rounding out my character discussion stuff is commenting that Henry is objectively the best character.

The plot itself was fucking great. A nice separation of arcs make it seem like I'm actually playing a series of smaller games as opposed to one larger one. It could almost be animated as is and make a damn good TV show that I would tune in for every week. Outside the plot, however, things get a bit hairy. The Paralogues are great for little side story things but that's only, like, a handful of them (Donnie's and the few that comprised Anna's stories, plus one of the DLC ones that I won't spoil). The majority of the DLC maps are pretty goddamn tough -- which I understand considering that they reward you with some of the best possible characters -- but I had less trouble with the final boss fight than I did with the DLC Paralogues. This to the point that I only actually completed one before grinding for the last map.

All that said, I find this game to have a shitton of replay value and I will be replaying it here soon.

I rate it a 9.5/10, only losing points to the difficulty spike between main story and DLC maps. Also because Summer Scramble has to be paid for and I just want to see some bikini-clad girls fighting monsters damnit.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #112
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Beat:

Tales of Xillia
While my hopes for this weren't too high, I was sort of expecting something in the league of Graces. You know, not bad, but still entertaining enough to make me feel like I didn't waste my time. Sadly Xillia takes that small hope and stomps it into the ground. Tales of Xillia is really meh, and totally undeserving of the high ratings and popularity it has. The battle system is okay (it's like a simplified Graces), and I like the little mini scenes everywhere you go. The story on paper isn't bad, but the cutscenes that tell this story are awful. There's so many "serious" scenes I laughed at or went "Haaaaah?!" to it's unreal. Though I also put some goofy accessories on Alvin, so I'd laugh at his scenes no matter what! It's hard to explain why they're bad, so let me give an example: (spoilers for Elize's OBVIOUS family status for those of you who will die from me telling it)
Spoiler: show
Okay, so we go to the place Elize was raised...or something. Well this cut scene goes on, and this guy tells her that her parents died. After that she goes fucking emo and pissy at everyone, saying she's "alone". Now I get that children usually get upset at losing their parents, but this girl lived her entire life without them, not even caring about them. It's obviously they're trying to force drama down your throats. Oh, but it's not over here. Well she's acting pissy at everyone, and the old man says "You're causing trouble for everyone!" and she suddenly stops. Like......what? All of that (nonsense) just stops because someone is saying she's being a bother? REALLY?! GREAT WRITING THERE!

There's a bunch of scenes with similar quality to the one in the spoiler box. I'm usually not one to really care much for that kind of thing, but with so many of those scenes, it's hard to not knock off a huge bit for that. Also there's parts in the game you can tell the developers are just being cheap and/or lazy. One is how they recycle the same enemy models about 10 fucking times each. I get that JRPGs like to recolor enemy models to save money, but this game does it a ridiculous amount of times. No area has unique enemies. If it has enemies, they have been recycled/are going to be recycled. Actually there's several places that look exactly alike.

Haaah, I don't get how this game is so popular.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #113
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Haaah, I don't get how this game is so popular.

Everyone had high hopes that the Tales game with the stunningly gorgeous female lead would be an amazing game. ^^;

Still haven't had a chance to play this game myself, but I was just rediscovering the other day from some user comments somewhere how Xillia was a huge disappointment and possibly one of the worst Tales games ever. Kind of timely then to discover this post of yours today echoing those sentiments.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #114
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I'm really enjoying Xillia to be honest, but it's felt very linear so far, especially with the removal of the world map, though actually crossing the trails and whatnot between towns is pretty cool. But I love the characters (except Ivar, because fuck that guy) and by having two storylines in Jude and Milla, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of scenes (I'm playing Milla's mode. Obviously. I'm playing as God.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #115
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

I only want to buy one of the two, so between Graces f and Xillia, which Tales do you guys recommend and why?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #116
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I would say Graces. Since it has been out for a few years, it should be cheaper. Also it's a better game than Xillia. While Graces isn't great (It's somewhere between good and okay), it's still better than the "meh" that is Xillia. Also Graces is longer, and you can do alot more, so you get more bang for your buck with it.

Of course, if you're going to buy one, then buy another later, why not buy Xillia now, then Graces later? Playing Xillia will make you think Graces is fucking amazing later on. (joking)
Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #117
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Honestly I would recommend Xilia. Graces has a horrible plot, a ridiculously stupid main character, and, I feel alone in this opinion, a battle system that really isn't that much fun, I much prefer TP than the pure CC system.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #118
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Beat: The Last of Us

Holy shit. This generation has produced some fantastic games; Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls, Mass Effect 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Red Dead Redemption just to name a few. This game just smashed them all. Art direction is glorious, it's an absolutely gorgeous game. Gameplay is amazing, managing to be both sensible and well-balanced (the enemy AI react in a genuinely believable way. Always feel challenging yet never feel cheap or overpowering). It's just so well written. Emphasis is firmly on the characters, and their dialogue and motivations feel entirely real and compelling.

Most of all though, it's done perfectly what Dishonored attempted and bridged the divide between gameplay and storytelling. When sneaking around an area you can hear enemies talking to each other when not in sight of one another. If you take one down, he obviously stops responding - and people notice and go check on him. They yell things like "take cover", "fan out" and "flank him", and actually do them. Your main characters react realistically as you go to your playstyle, and for once you're aware - even as you're doing it - that the people you're killing are people, and that your main characters understand this and are grappling with their actions. And their reactions subtly change as they get character development. No more is there this great dissonance between the story saying we've got a nice guy who saves puppies whilst in gameplay that same guy ends up killing a small nation worth of people by the end. This has always bugged me a bit, but now we've been shown that it can be entirely averted I feel like a new standard has been set in that regard which all future games must meet or have it held strongly against them.

Last edited by Concept; 08-29-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #119
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Sweet Fuse: At Your Side
Picked this up asap on release day an wondered: is this gonna be the last psp game I'll be getting on release? What other games are coming that I'd want or in general? Time ta find older ones I've missed out on. But all that aside I've been playing a bunch an having some good fun!

Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland
- 24:47:22
I didn't get a bad end! Hurrah! Seeing all the improvements this game had over Totori was like super wow! Movement, synthesis, presentation, progression~ all got pumped way up! While Totori was alot more laid back, Meruru an her game are always busy with ever present goals. On the downside that led ta me feeling rushed without much downtime to relax. Its still super great however!

Project X Zone
- 44:56:15
Again already?! Yup I got sucked back in! Shaved 17 hours off my playtime by skipping animations, text, an not being so scared of baddies. On the first playthrough its pretty much always super safe to just rush the baddies an spam supers at every opportunity! I gotta hide this from myself for awhile to prevent a third runthrough in as many months but next time for sure I'll check out the allegedy harder New Game+!

Last edited by Lindz; 09-27-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #120
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Beat (sort of): Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

I never watch Let's Play videos, but when I saw that this one Let's Play for Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs was trending, I decided to check it out for a variety of reasons. Mild curiosity about the game franchise. Lack of a computer which could play this game. No desire to ever buy the game. Mild desire to see how other people handled the game's various scares. So with all these factors put together, I ended up checking the Let's Play out.

After one episode, I didn't want to wait for them anymore -- they'd only put out one episode and they were vulgar little brats ^^; -- so I island hopped over to someone else's LP of the game. Found a (more) polite little British boy playing and decided "Okay, let's roll." He took ~3˝ hours to beat the game, and over the course of Friday and Saturday, I watched him play from start to finish. So in that sense I guess you could say that I "beat" the game? Yeah, I realize there's a whole huge angle of "that doesnt count ", but meh, it's not like I'm ever going to play the game now anyway, now that I've seen it played in full, and here's why.

For one, the game is remarkably short. I read up on it on Wikipedia and discovered that this game was in development for three years. That's insane. No offense to the team, but I don't really see why this game took them three years to make. Yeah, the visuals are nice, but they're also not ground-breaking. Crysis 3 this is not. The soundtrack's fairly normal -- nothing about it screams "big budget, long schedule". The story is fairly simple. Anyway, bit of a digression. My point is, this British boy beat it in about 3˝ hours, and he was (imo) on the average side. Sometimes he was quite speedy (and made me wonder if he'd already played through on an unrecorded attempt), other times he was frustratingly dense about how to solve a particular puzzle or maze. All in all, I'd say he was average. So you're looking at beating this game yourself in about 3-4 hours. In their defense, the publishers sold the game for $20, but still. I can say that if I had spent $20 on this game myself, I'd have been a mite pissed at just how short it was.

Second, the story isn't really all that great imo. I had three big predictions about the game by the end of ... I want to say by the end of the first hour. Here they are below. (Spoiler tagging because of comments I'll be making outside the spoiler box below which, in combination, would spoil you.)

First, I predicted that Mandus the player and Mandus the instruction-giver were the same person. I left the door open on how they might be the same person, but my #1 theory was that Mandus (the player) had simply gone insane and was either hearing voices in his head or else had a split personality. (Other theories I left open included cloning, memory dumping, and a ghost.)

Second, I predicted that Mandus (the player) was himself a manpig.

Third, I predicted that Mandus's boys were already dead and that, as an addition, they were amongst his first experiimental subjects who he transformed into manpigs.

Of these theories, the first turned out to be 100% correct, the second went unconfirmed (but unrefuted also), and the third was partially confirmed. So that's zero incorrect theories and 1˝ correct theories out of three. Theories all formed within the first hour or so of gameplay. So yeah ... I wouldn't exactly call this a brilliantly written mystery. It's ... pretty obvious, despite the game's best attempts to confuse the player by feeding him morsels of backstory out of chronological order.

And I'm not saying that the story is bad just because I called a lot of it either. I mean, you could call elements of a good story and, lack of surprise factor aside, you'd still feel like it's a good story! But that's not really what Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is. It's ... depending on your tastes, I'd either say:
  1. it's not a bad story, but it's not a great story either.
  2. it's a bad story.
For me, it was A. For you, it could be either A or B. I doubt it'd be neither though. I know there are people out there who are probably already hailing this as the Game of the Year or some such, but a quick look at the ratings various sites gave it seem to suggest that I'm not the only one who felt like the game was only mildly satisfying. (Tons and tons of 7/10 scores, it seems.) If it were a movie -- and, given its length and presentation, it practically is -- I'd describe it as a movie that you wouldn't feel was a total waste of your time and ticket money but that at the same time you wouldn't pay to see again in theaters and you probably wouldn't bother buying on DVD or Blu-Ray either. If it was on TV for free on a lazy Saturday, you'd watch it. Otherwise, you'd pass. It's that sort of a story.

Third, the gameplay isn't that satisfying either imo. The vast, vast majority of the puzzles are maze obstruction puzzles, i.e. you're in a maze but before you can reach the exit you'll have to remove some obstructions. They pretty much rely on fear of the unknown and unfamiliarity with the layout to be satisfying as puzzles. Take those two factors away and all you're left with, in the vast majority of cases, are some incredibly linear and simple puzzles. Most are of the variety "Step 1. Go from the central hub to Room A and flip a switch. Step 2. Return to the central hub. Step 3. Now go down this other path towards Room B, now accessible, and flip a switch there. Step 4. OH SHIT SCARY MONSTERS (maybe). DODGE AS YOU RETURN TO THE CENTRAL HUB. Step 5. Go from the central hub to this nearby portal which grants you escape from the maze." They're ... not really the sorts of puzzles that those of you who love puzzles in video games will find rewarding or challenging.

And aside from solving puzzles or mazes, that's really all there is to the gameplay. Because you're not allowed to fight back, which means monsters must always be dodged. And because there are no power upgrades, no abilities, nothing of the sort. In fact, the only items you'll ever find in the game are either projectiles (e.g. chairs, rocks, books) that you can throw to interact with the environment (usually just for shits and giggles), diary entries, or puzzle pieces.

Fourth, the illusion of horror is killed very quickly by two fatal game flaws. These are so bad that I honestly want to spoiler tag them because I feel like once you become aware of them you'll no longer be able to enjoy the game as much as you did before you discovered them.

The first fatal flaw is that lethal enemies are incredibly rare and generally few in number even when they do show up. The vast, vast majority of the mazes and puzzles you have to solve will not feature any enemies whatsoever. Your only dangers are things like being electrocuted, being scalded, etc. All environmental hazards that you can clearly see before you. I'd say 35% of the mazes (and more like 50% of the mazes once you reach the second half of the game) will involve a manpig or two spawning in once you clear certain objectives, but the problem there is that number: one or two. Other than a highly theatrical segment near the end of the game, there are generally never more than two manpigs with you in the same room. And indeed, that number is usually one, not even two. So like ... so long as you can evade detection by the manpig -- he goes right so you go left, for example -- you're pretty much good. Once you realize this about the game, it takes a lot of the scare away.

Still, though, the pigs are scary when they find you and give chase. And they'll kill you in only three or four hits too! So what's the other fatal flaw with the game? The other fatal flaw is ... behind the scenes, it quicksaves CONSTANTLY. It doesn't tell you that it's doing so, but pretty much:
  • any time you find a new diary note
  • any time you make progress into a new area which prompts the game to give you a freebie diary note
  • any time you're ten feet within a trigger which will spawn an enemy monster
the game quicksaves. So when you die ... you never lose an hour's progress. Or a half hour's progress. Or even five minutes' progress. The amount of progress you'll ever lose in this game ranges from 10 seconds to 1 minute, and it's always terrain-traversing time that you've lost, never items or diary notes or whatever. You never, ever, ever have to go back and do stuff over again if you die. While this might sound like heaven on paper, the reality is that it's a death sentence for a horror game which placed 95% of its scares on a fear of being mauled to death by enemy monsters. Now you no longer need fear death. Now you can just stupidly charge through the game at like 20 miles per hour. If you're charging forward too fast and you run right into a manpig's open mouth, so what? Who cares? The game will reload, you'll be right back where you were 10 seconds ago, and now you can take things much more cautiously. As annoying as Metroid-style savepoints are, I think that the horror games which employ them (like Fatal Frame) have got the right idea. When you deny the player the opportunity to save whenever he likes, it makes getting to the nearest save point that much more tense. The player is constantly on edge. "Will I be able to make it? Can I get there without being attacked? Oh man, I'm running low on health. What's gonna happen to me if I get waylaid by enemies and die? Shit, I think the last time I saved was 40 minutes ago ..." Yeah, it sucks to lose your progress, I totally agree, but at the same time ... when you make it so that the game is saving every 10 seconds on you behind the scenes, it's no longer like you're bowling. Now it's like you're bowling with bumper lanes and a bowling ball which is twice as large as normal. It's Super Duper Easy Mode. And that takes away a lot of the tension and fright.

Given all of this, I would not recommend Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs as a purchase to anybody save the most diehard Amnesia or horror game fans. And even then, I would caution most horror game fans that this game probably won't be as satisfying to them as their favorite Fatal Frame or Silent Hill was.

At the same time, though, I would encourage anyone who wishes to to check the game out either as a rental (if possible thru Steam or w/e) or else play it on a friend's computer or else watch a Let's Play of it. It's only 3-4 hours long, so whether or not you love it, it's not like you'll have lost too much of your time.

Last edited by Talon87; 09-15-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #121
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

(Re)Beat:

The World Ends With You
It has been years since I have played this, and I have forgotten almost everything about the plot, so I figured it was time to give this another go. I still think it's a nice game. It got a bit boring and grindey at times (god traveling up Pork City was unbearable, and I have to do it 3 times!). The story was actually kind of nice. Though I kind of laughed at some of the last minute revelations, and the ending did leave you unsatisfied (I know that's what the reaper reports are for, but scenes are always nice). I still enjoyed the story well enough to be interested. I loved the music and atmosphere. That was probably the best thing about the game.

Trying out:

Summon Night
This is actually kind of interesting. An RPG all about making weapons. One neat thing is all the dialogue choices. While I don't think it'll effect anything big, it's still nice how they actually put in the effort to put in so much text, especially since seeing how lazy JRPGs can be nowadays (I'm looking at you Xillia). Hopefully this will keep me interested long enough to finish it!

Next month is the month for fall game releases! Most of the ones I pre-ordered are over-milked sequels, but maybe one of them will still be good?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #122
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post

Summon Night
This is actually kind of interesting. An RPG all about making weapons. One neat thing is all the dialogue choices. While I don't think it'll effect anything big, it's still nice how they actually put in the effort to put in so much text, especially since seeing how lazy JRPGs can be nowadays (I'm looking at you Xillia). Hopefully this will keep me interested long enough to finish it!
Oh, Swordcraft Story? For the GBA? Yeah, that's a really fun game, and the dialogue trees are spectacular. It's got a dating sim subplot, and a whole load of endings. It and it's sequel are apparently spinoffs of the Summon Night series, which is apparently a well-known-but-not-super-popular JTRPG series which I really want to play but never gets imported.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #123
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Super Mario 3D Land
This games like still topping 3DS best games lists even 2 years after it came out an I got a 3DS late last year so I got ta thinking how come I still don't got this yet?? Well now I do! I haven't played a new Mario game since NSMB way back when, an I didn't much care for it but I gots a good feeling about this one!

Sweet Fuse: At Your Side
- ?
This game dun count time played an I kinda forgot ta do it myself so oh well. I failed at getting love once again >_<; Them logic type puzzles were few an far between but they were a good addition to break up the pure reading parts! Also liked the art & music alot! There's lotsa routes to take an things I haven't yet seen which lends itself to more playthroughs in the future. I'll prolly fail them to but someday I'll land my dream guy and maybe finally get down to the truth behind the main plot of the game while I'm at it!

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
- 73:47
That's a long time! I blame my love of grinding. This was my first DQ game 6~ years ago now so this second time through the game was even better now that I'd played all them DS DQ games! Mentions of monster scouts, certain character models, an so on didn't fly over my head this time! Best weapon selection cause whips & boomerangs are love! Still gots the best overworld of all rpgs ever to! Still my fave DQ an rightly so! Now ta do what I didn't the first time... go for the true ending!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #124
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Get!
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
- 73:47
That's a long time! I blame my love of grinding. This was my first DQ game 6~ years ago now so this second time through the game was even better now that I'd played all them DS DQ games! Mentions of monster scouts, certain character models, an so on didn't fly over my head this time! Best weapon selection cause whips & boomerangs are love! Still gots the best overworld of all rpgs ever to! Still my fave DQ an rightly so! Now ta do what I didn't the first time... go for the true ending!
Dat Overworld theme. Also all of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #125
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Picked up: FTL

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Only unlocked one ship in like 12 runs and keep dying to dumb stuff. Like LASERS AND MISSILES. Usually after going through 2 whole sectors with no Stores.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games