UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team

Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Pre-Pokébank Gen 6 OU: What does Delphox say?

This is basically the team I have been using over Wifi battles a bit with a consistent amount of success. Still testing, but so far, I'm very satisfied with the results.

The team:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash | Oblivious
Adamant | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Earthquake / Stone Edge / Ice Shard / Stealth Rock

Spoiler: show
Offensive entry hazzard setter and lead. The appeal of Oblivious is the Taunt immunity, which, coupled with Focus Sash, almost guarantees Stealth Rock being used successfully. I chose Stone Edge over Icicle Crash for coverage. Has helped me reliably dispatch opposing Talonflames even after the odd Will-O-Wisp.

Togekiss @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
Bold | 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Dazzling Gleam / Fire Blast / Wish / Protect

Togekiss's Fairy typing grants it excellent physical resistances which allow it many switch-in opportunities to help it provide Wish support for the team. Fairy/Fire has excellent coverage together, and Fire Blast can manage a 2HKO on opposing Aegislash switching in. Togekiss also reliably counters most dragons pretty hard, boasting Dragon/Ground immunity, and having the bulk to take unboosted SE attacks while threatening with Dazzling Gleam.

Aegislash @ Spell Tag | Stance Change
Quiet | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Satk
Shadow Ball / Shadow Sneak / Iron Head / King's Shield

Oh how I love this set. Think about it: Would you rather switch in on a boosted Steel typed attack coming off a base 150 Atk, or would you rather switch on a boosted Ghost typed attack coming off a base 150 Satk? I'd bet most would answer (and expect) the former. Normal types are rare, and whether my opponent decides to switch out or stay in, Shadow Ball is bound to rip open large holes on their team. Special attacking Aegislash also doesn't give a damn about being burned, so there's that too. Sure, it sucks being burned regardless, but it doesn't cripple it to the extent it would other Aegislash.

Iron Head hits faeries harder than Flash Cannon would, and it's generally prefered over Sacred Sword, I find. I will consider Sacred Sword if Normal types become too big of a problem.

Goodra @ Assault Vest | Gooey
Modest | 252 HP / 252 Satk / 4 Spe
Draco Meteor / Sludge Bomb / Flamethrower / Thunderbolt

AV Goodra is an amazing special attacking tank, and provides important resistances to Grass, Water, Fire & Electric needed for my team. The bulk is such it can even tank SE attacks and beat most opposing special attackers 1 on 1, barring Calm Mind boosters and Quiver Dancers. Sludge Bomb nails Faeries on the switch in, while the other two moves are for coverage, and the 30% Poison chance adds utility to a set that has no access to support moves. Draco Meteor provides instant burst damage which is sorely needed.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite | Intimidate
Impish | 72 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Def / 6 Sdef / 116 Spe
Waterfall / Earthquake / Ice Fang / Dragon Dance

Ev spread allows me to outspeed +Spe Base 105'ers at +1 while also allowing me to outspeed Scarfed Neutral Base 100's at +2. Max Attack and the rest is distributed to optimize overall defenses.

On the Gyarados vs. Megarados topic. Sure, Megarados lacks lefties and life orb, and Gyarados certainly has the superior defensive typing, but what Megarados has that Gyarados doesn't is the mindgames. The thing is, you don't have to transform on turn 1. Regular Gyarados can create planty of opportunities to set up as is, and Water/Dark only hinders that. That said, transforming on the turn the opponent would be using something that Megarados would soak but Gyarados wouldn't is where you get the most out of Megarados' typing. You increase your chances to get that extra turn to set up, and secure a sweep. Mold Breaker is also a cool new toy when it comes to sweeping, whereas Intimidate is only useful when switching in.

For things that Gyarados truly can't handle though, there's Aegislash and Goodra. The three have pretty good synergy between them.

Delphox @ No Item | Magician
Timid | 4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Spe
Mystical Fire / Future Sight / Switcheroo / Will-O-Wisp

Gimmicky, isn't it? Sure I could go the safe and true CM+3 moveset, but i feel it doesn't really have a place in OU. The idea here is disruption and team support. Running no item is the best choice to guarantee Magician use on the spot when needed without relying on the use of items or gimmick Power Herb + Solarbeam shenanigans. Will-O-Whisp cripples opposing physical attackers while Mystical Fire hinders special attackers switching in (and it's a move exclusive to the mage fox only, so I felt it a waste to not play with it a bit), all of which help my other Pokémon to switch in with ease.

Now, Future Sight is probably the most unconventional move here, and generally should never have a place in competitive play, but again, the mind games. This Gen it's been buffed to a sexy 120 BP, which puts the opponent on an uncomfortable position. They can switch in to something to soak it but perhaps fear whatever else I may have out at the moment, or they can stay and take it like a man (and possibly die afterwards). I also enjoy the idea of damage stacking on the turn Future Sight lands. Of course, Psyshock & Psychic are always the more reliable options, and sometimes I wish I had them available for the immediate power, but Future Sight is definitely something nobody ever sees coming, amusingly enough.

Switcheroo is for further disruption and works nicely with Magician.

::FB::WF::

Last edited by Balmund; 12-07-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Updating Delphox's moveset.
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team