UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 02-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Death comes for the Archbishop

I (and my family) may have already contracted coronavirus, as the virus has been confirmed in California and the source is running distance from my location. The locals clinics handwaived the concern as media hysterics...but the news of a confirmed case broke after we'd already been checked in. So I doubt there were protocols in place on how to handle it, and we might be getting calls to come back for CDC serologies.

I don't know if it's the actual coronavirus, but it was a different experience from other diseases I've had in the past. The sensation was similar to when I had a heat stroke with bronchitis at OCS, with the insane heat, pain behind the eyes, and inability to breathe.

Unlike other diseases this one is impossible to sleep through, because at a certain point the cranial pressure forces your eyes open, and it becomes stressful to close them again (or even blink). Tuesday was the slowest day I could remember in my entire life as I had to handle the peak of the disease. It was possibly a rewind to how I perceived the world as a 4 year old.

Worth noting, I had already gone through the normal immune response cycle once. But with close proximity to my family, I think I had become re-exposed to a higher viral load and that brought back the peak fever with a burning vengeance.

So, I survived.

That said, how did I get it? Both of my parents are old and have cardiovascular problems, but they were able to pull through. No one has traveled to a foreign country or interacted with foreign people lately.

So where is it coming from?

I suspect that the virus is transmitted through birds, much like influenza. We're approaching the time of year where migrations will happen. Even if a quarantine is enforced an aerial transmission is pretty much unstoppable, especially now.

But because the virus onset might vary from person to person, transmission happens before someone becomes outed as a carrier. In my case I never take medication to alleviate a virus (ibuprofens reduce the ability of the body to fight infection) so I got hit by a bus by the full weight of the attack, and it wasn't pretty.

tl;dr - it's like a hard hitting version of the flu. You'll feel awful and might die if your lungs can't take it, though I think the fear of death via suffocation or hypoxia is probably worse than the stress on the lungs.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Oof okay yeah that sounds like it's gonna suck.

Don't worry, Mike Pence is on it
Old 02-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
ChampofPokemon
Cascade Badge

Doppleganger, I hope you feel better ASAP
ChampofPokemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

it's really surreal to be past the virus and seeing all the massive hysteria surrounding it. I feel like I'm in time removed from the rest of the world.

It helps that I also telecommute so the virus had no impact on my life outside of a punishing week.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-12-2020, 06:09 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Something horrific I learned while researching SARS, the closest relative of the so-called COVID19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Several consequent reports from China on some recovered SARS patients showed severe long-time sequelae. The most typical diseases include, among other things, pulmonary fibrosis, osteoporosis, and femoral necrosis, which have led to the complete loss of working ability or even self-care ability of these cases. As a result of quarantine procedures, some of the post-SARS patients have been documented as suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and major depressive disorder.
Sequelae are long-term complications caused by the viral infection. Of these, pulmonary fibrosis is the worst because it essentially reduces your lung capacity. This has an encompassing effect on overall health/fitness as you lose the ability to exercise as a way of weight/health management, making you more susceptible to non-infectious disease on top of being physically challenged.

SARS is a bit different in that it was most transmissible with critically ill patients, while the current coronavirus propagates very easily through mild cases or in the early stages of the disease, making containment almost impossible. Essentially, the coronavirus combines the lethality of SARS with an infection strategy closer to the flu.

Pulmonary fibrosis is essentially death for a person who is destined to develop it, since that would suggest patients have to go through a severe case stage to develop it. 20% of infections lead to a severe case, so we might as well consider them casualties. That places the coronavirus right under the Spanish flu and the Black Death as the worst pandemic in history, which should give pause when considering it's happening when modern medicine is at its best.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Essentially, the coronavirus combines the lethality of SARS with an infection strategy closer to the flu.
SARS had a fatality rate of around 10% vs ~3% for the current coronavirus outbreak, and had a far more even mortality spread across age groups whereas the current outbreak is disproportionately killing the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. Part of the reason SARS never spread as effectively is because a fair chunk of patients died or fell seriously ill too fast to spread it. Given SARS was another of the coronavirus family, pretty safe to say it had similar infection strategy.

Like the current pandemic is serious, don't get me wrong, but let's not blow it out of proportion here.

EDIT the first: For what it's worth, I'm glad you're feeling better.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The mortality rate of COVID-19 has dropped because it's infected ten times more people with different infection tolerances and still hasn't slowed down. Additionally, where SARS struck - initially in rural China - disproportionately boosted the disease mortality because of the limited access to healthcare in that area. More cases were able to progress to pneumonia and multi organ failure and the locality limited how far the virus could spread.

A nonspecific mortality distribution is noisy to me. Even for super lethal infections like smallbox, MB-ebola or plague, I'd still expect the weak/infirm (and the very young) to disproportionately be culled, much like for flu.

I'm fairly confident that had SARS managed to break out further, mortality rates would be similar to COVID-19. But part of the reason it couldn't break out is it didn't have the virulence factors to propagate itself as easily as this one.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
McSweeney
Soul Badge

With unprecedented quarantine measures and shutdowns of public events/businesses, is it possible that we accidentally eradicate the common cold as well?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No I'm sick again. No fever but I have an annoying cough. My parents were vectors as they get sick easily and it's easier to get sick hanging around an infected person due to the higher viral payload.

Colds are caused by many different types of viruses, including coronaviruses. Just not as lethal as COVID-19.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I got my COVID shot yesterday (1/2) and it had no effect on me. I've seen other people get sick of wheezy from receiving the shot.

I'm pretty sure this confirms that the nasty illness I got February '20 was probably the full strength coronavirus. A whole year of sitting inside for nothing!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #11
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Not necessarily. The severe discomfort seems to be more common after the second shot rather than the first one from what I've heard, and with COVID being a virus, the current iteration is already a bit different from what you caught last year anyway. Chances are still high that you'll be perfectly fine, though.
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #12
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/wh...y-had-covid-19

TLDR You get a larger reaction if you had COVID already. You get less reaction if your body doesn't respond to the virus since it is slipping past.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:30 AM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You get a shorter, less intense reaction if you've already had the virus, the adaptive immune response doesn't have to work as hard as the innate (by virtue of less viral load and earlier response when challenged). That link seems to poorly explains this and seems to imply both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavi
This is why people who have already recovered from COVID-19 may experience more of these mild reactions. They are nothing to be alarmed by, and merely show that the body remembers the virus and is mounting an effective response to it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I got shot #2 yesterday and I feel almost as bad as I did when I posted this topic.

The main problem is I am on a fast today, and I drank a lot of dehydrating fluids yesterday, so my face not only feels emaciated and burning despite no sun exposure, but my kidneys hurt like a mofo.

It's hard to think. It feels like when I was burning aldehydes and my veins had ketone bodies rushing through the BBB.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #15
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Drink a lot of water.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The truth is, water can poison you if you are already in an extreme dehydration state. At OCS they had us eating salt in everything because drinking tap water wasn't enough to avoid heat stroke (and I ended up getting those anyway).

Because I was on a fast, I was in greater danger of dying than most people since I couldn't replace any electrolyte through food. I had some potassium supplements but nothing with table salt to replenish my sodium and chloride.

I'm fine now though. It was really rough, but I should be triple insulated against corona-chan now. =3=
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-14-2022, 04:27 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There's a new article out in lab medicine that coronavirus infection is starting to cause cross-reactivity in HIV assays. Or in other words, it's possible COVID19 may now have HIV virulence factors, conveniently evolving surface proteins similar to GP120 and GP41.

This, in conjunction with a new hyper-virulent variant of HIV coming out of the Netherlands, means that we could have some complications for disease diagnostics in the near future!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc