UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Re: Super Smash Bros Brawl

Dear god Joe. You never played Smash Bros. Oh dear god. Wow. Wow.

Man. I check the site every two days or so, yeah awesome.

This is gonna rock.

Edit: Holy shite, Zelda.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

Woo, updates.

Song Update: Ocarina of Time Medley

Item Update: Banana Peel

Roffle @ Banana peel. xd
Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

That song is so awful I had to download some proper OoT music and listen to it to heal my poor ears.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Listening to the song reminded me of how many video games I would love to see re-written once we achieve a level of graphics mastery which rivals human visual perception of the real world. Shenmue, Xenosaga, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker all fit the bill.

Shoot, that reminds me ... I really should rent the new Zelda game for the GameCube, since I have no plans to get a Wii yet and before long the game's gonna go missing from Blockbuster's shelves.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
Sylar
Cascade Badge

New Update: Naming Characters

Got to admit, I thought this was useless at first look, but turns out that once you've chosen your name, you can set the controller type you use, so you don't have to change the settings over and over again.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Yeah, I liked the medley. A lot. So, Zora, yeah.

Wow, even I, who does like and care about even the simplest trivial stuff, can't really get excited about that feature.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:02 AM   #8
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Yeah, it's not very exciting in the sense that you'll get the game because of it, but it is good to know you'll save about 2 seconds each time you play!

Add that up, and that's like...a minute a year. >>;
Old 06-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Woo. >>; I got bored and decided to list all the contents of the site in the first post. Well, everything except Character-based posts, since including them would probably take too much space. The links to their posts are in their names. :O
Old 07-02-2007, 05:31 AM   #10
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Yey third post in a row. But I don't care, Brawl rocks. xD Anyway, awesome update today.

Assist Trophies

Known Assisting Characters (so far):
Hammer Bro.
Nintendog (The big one from the trailer that goes to the screen :O)
Samurai Goro (Captain Falcon's rival from F-Zero)
Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

It's like a Pokéball, except, well it basically IS a Pokéball. Why did they have to put in Goroh though? Mrs. Arrow would have been a far better choice.

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If the Nintendog is basically a "nyaa nyaa, you can't see the scree~een, you can't see the scree~een :P :P :P" sort of helper ... I think it's going to quickly become the most hated Assistant. There's no skill in fighting blindly -- it's just button mashing. Unlike real-world blind martial artists who can still use sound and pressure to fight, in a video game, you're sunk without visuals. I foresee many a hotly-contested ring-out victory coming out of this Nintendog ... and my vote is therefore Nay.

I would be very delighted to see Chikorita and some of the other Pokemon be able to come out of the Assist Trophy, but unfortunately they've already got PokeBalls for that. So I guess what I'll have to settle for is hoping that we see Metroids from the Metroid universe representing. Best. Assistant. Ever. ;p

Joe: MY EYES! MY EYES!
Metroid: *SHRIEEEEEK*
Joe: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
*Joe falls off the edge and is ringed out*
Talon: Uin. *does the V for victory pose*
Old 07-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Sylar
Cascade Badge

*uses SUPER GET BACK TO THE ARENA move and pwns Talon*

woo. xd

I would've rather saw that other guy from F-Zero, whatsisname. Black Bull or something. xD He was cool. :O
Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

I never had any major problems with Togepi, and there the screen turned totally black.

Seconded the demand for a Metroid. Also, Pikmin. Thousands of them!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon
Seconded the demand for a Metroid. Also, Pikmin. Thousands of them!
Pssh, you know a legion of Toads would be better than Pikmin. xd
Old 07-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #16
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Toad can't be a capsule assist, he's already one of Peach's attacks.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I wish that one of Bowser's attacks would be to turn members of the Mushroom Kingdom into a pile of bricks for 5 seconds. It'd be a cool complex combo with sweet payoff if you pull it off against a foe using Mario/Luigi/Peach and they're standing near the edge of the ring.

Playing Wind Waker has reminded me that I think it'd be pretty cool if Link (even if he is the much-superior OoT/TP Link) was able to summon the King of Red Lions to ferry him back to "shore" if he got ringed out. Like, if you're in the air and can flawlessly execute this 20-button combo, it'll bring you back to the ring guaranteed (but can only be used once per round).
Old 07-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #18
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Is Peach even coming back? Cuz if they don't bring back Peach or Marth, I'LL HAVE NO ONE TO USE!! >>;;;
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:10 AM   #19
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon
Toad can't be a capsule assist, he's already one of Peach's attacks.
Not the famous Toad from Mario Party. :P The weird generic ones from Paper Mario. ^^

But last night, I was thinking, and a really cool assist character could be Sonic. xD That way he'd be in the game, but wouldn't be playable, and all the fanboys would wet themselves followed by tears of needing. :P

Also, update.

Bowser confirmed to be playable.

And my God, he looks bad-ass. xd If that's what he'll look like in Super Mario Galaxy, that's cool. =o
Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 AM   #20
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Talon, Smash Bros. doesn't have combos. That's what makes it good. Only combos are done with a move of the analog stick and a button press. That and chaining moves. But no combos in the sense you seen to be thinking about.

Also, why the hell would bowser have the power to turn things into bricks?

Oh, neat. Bowser. Doubt it Joe, cause Mario looks different in Galaxy than in SSBB, so I don't see bowser having all that texture in Galaxy. It will be more stylized than here.

Also, huh, they changed the face to the more normal bowser face, the one used in the mario games. This one has bigger eyes and stuff.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Fan
Talon, Smash Bros. doesn't have combos. That's what makes it a good game for kids or other people not into serious fighters.
Fixed.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #22
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Fan
Talon, Smash Bros. doesn't have combos. That's what makes it a good game for kids or other people not into serious fighters.
Fixed.
You think memorising an endless list of button combos makes a good game? >> That makes a boring game. And even if you take it seriously, where does it get you? Oh look, some guy who did it just won a gaming tournament in Japan.

So what? xfd

IMO, simple attack systems > complex ones.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you really want to have this debate, I'll be happy to do it. If you want to be a childish ass, then forget it, go have fun with your Pogeymans and Smash Bwudders.

For now, assuming you seriously want to discuss this as gentlemen ... no, I'm not saying that by simple virtue of having combos a fighter is "made good" or to be taken seriously. Complexity does not necessarily equate fun, and can in fact equate years of frustration. However, whether a game is fun or not has nothing to do with whether or not it is easy because (simply) some people like a challenge and some people hate any form of challenge and want all of life's pleasures to come to them on a silver platter. SSB and SSB:M are two examples of fighters that are "silver platters," while Guilty Gear and SNK's run-of-the-mill fighter are all great examples of "you have to work hard for the rewards." There's the difference, and why I think I am (non-snobbishly) allowed to say, "SSB and SSB:M are fighters for kiddies. GGX is not."

Why is that? Well, because SSB is easier to get into. Because there are no combos, a beginner is on relatively equal footing to somebody who has played obsessively for years once several hours go by (if he's stuck to the same character and doesn't universally suck at fighters). Once you figure out the character's entire inventory of moves, it then becomes simply about in-map strategy like "Do I duck or do I go for it?", "Do I lure him to the edge of the ring or is it better to confront him mid-field?", "Is this an opponent bunny-hopping works well against or can he easily hit me?", etc. These are relevant concerns in GGX and Street Fighter, too, but here in SSB and SSB:M they are the only concerns. You don't have to worry about the foe being particularly skilled with ringing people out because in SSB:M the only way to win is the ring out (as there is no life meter) and so ring outs can be achieved even from midfield. You don't have to worry about the foe getting you up against a wall because most stages have no walls. The foe hits you 3 times and then your out of his reach (whether either of you likes it or not) because the game's physic engine demands that your body fly in the vector direction of his attacks and not stand still for an ass-whuppin'. It's a very, very simple game.

Somebody who has mastered GGX is infinitely more skilled than somebody who mastered SSB:M. Here, we have a kid dealing with a game where OHKO moves are not only present but are relatively easy to pull off -- however, you only get one shot at it. Here we have a game where over 80% of characters' moves are not listed in the manual or in the in-game tutorials. The game is incredibly involved with "reading your opponents' moves" because, if you're too slow or ineffectual at doing this, your opponent will recognize that and just key in the OHKO. You have to constantly be one step ahead of -or- on the same page as the opponent. And of course he the same with you. This creates intense battles that are beautiful to behold but usually don't involve the taking of one's life until 10 minutes into the game (since for every beautiful move one guy does, the other guy successfully dodges or blocks it). It is truly gorgeous, a spectacle to behold, as compared with the "carnival" feeling of SSB:M where people that look like claymations run around with bowling pins and whack the shit out of each other sending them flying unrealistically into outer space.

In short ... because the fighter has more combos, GGX (or other complex fighters) mandate more reading of the opponent and less mastery of "fighting basics". Because you're not only reading against fighting basics, but also against a huge list (over 100 moves per character) of possible attacks which could be coming your way. If SSB:M is "predict one of five outcomes: he jumps, he ducks, he blocks, he runs, or he attacks", GGX is "predict one of 105 outcomes." And the pros do it, every single time.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #24
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Talon's big essay. xd
Talon, I'm not going to be all childish or an ass, but I'm not going to argue back and cause a big debate either, because to be honest, I can't be bothered typing that much. xD However, I will respond to one point you made.

Quote:
Why is that? Well, because SSB is easier to get into. Because there are no combos, a beginner is on relatively equal footing to somebody who has played obsessively for years
Technically, that means a person of any age, not just younglings.

...Did I seriously just say younglings? Oo; I need to stop watching Star Wars. >>;

Anyway, another point I'll respond to.

Quote:
GGX is "predict one of 105 outcomes." And the pros do it, every single time.
Those pros have no life then. Oo; Either that or they're so pro they've managed to slow the passage of time everywhere in the world apart from their own room. >>;

Talon, Smash Bros was never intended to be a proper fighting game in the first place anyway. It was just Nintendo getting some of their well known characters, and basically, putting you into a "Boss Battle" with each of them, in terms of other games, that's what it's equivalent too. In some cases, such as Mario vs. Bowser, it's exactly the same. xD So gamers who like SSB are obviously gonna be biased towards it's more "fun" take on the fighting genre.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
Talon, Smash Bros was never intended to be a proper fighting game in the first place anyway.
I agree. 100%. It is as fun a game as Shonen Jump SuperStars which features Naruto, Luffy, Goku, Yami Yugi, and tons of other characters from Shonen Jump manga. I love that game, even though for a fighter it's pretty primitive. What bugs me is when people say "SSB:M is the best fighter ever," because it shows that they don't understand that SSB:M is supposed to be a novelty game, not a fighter to be taken seriously. People who say SSB:M is more fun than Tekken, VF, or DOA, fine, all the more power to them. People who say it's a better fighter, no, I'm sorry.

The way I see it ... SSB:M (and presumably SSBB) is like the Wii of fighters. It's meant to be highly-accessible to everyone, from the pros to the amateurs, from the young to the old. Anybody should be able to pick it up and have fun and not feel that it's too difficult. But necessarily, this means that the learning curve is very (very) low, and it also means that a lot of what makes fighters "epic" (like GGX's requirement to study extensively and to be able to pull off a 100-button execution for nine separate moves flawlessly otherwise you get OHKO'd) is removed from the game.

Saying one is the Wii of Fighters does not constitute an insult. The Wii is arguably the most popular console on the market. However, saying the Wii is fun and popular is not the same as saying "the Wii is a serious next-gen console." And I feel the same way (departing from our analogy) about SSB:M and other "serious" fighters.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games