UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #51
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Re: Clannad

Clannad 14- -_-; This was one of the cheesiest things I have ever seen. I'm sorry, but this was cheesier than my grandmother's butt crack. It had some sweet moments, but it was overall a weak path. I mean, I love Kotomi, but her path was crap. I also have a bad feeling about the next episode. My beloved fall title is falling apart before my very eyes ;_;.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #52
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Alright, in response to Doppleganger's question...It looks like it will be Nagisa's path. Now, I know she is the main girl and all, but the episode preview was ALL about her. They also imply that Tomoya confesses to her. Of course, this might go into Kyou's path before I know it. I am still not sure yet. Oh, and there was no orb grabbing at the end of Kotomi's path.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #53
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

So, to necromancy I watched Clannad 1-18 a few days ago.

1. Why did I do that when the only reason I would play the anime's game in the first place is promotions (of which Clannad has none, lol wut). I can't be bothered to hunt down Gurren Lagann episodes, but I'll watch True Tears and this on Veoh? I don't understand it myself.

2. Needs more Tomoyo

2.a.naked

3. Fuko goes from "aww isn't that sweet" to "dear God please go away"
Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #54
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise
3. Fuko goes from "aww isn't that sweet" to "dear God please go away"
Yes! @_@ I liked her path and all, but her random appearances just got annoying. I'm sure that's a big result of Kyoto messing with the original formula....

Since there is someone else watching this...I'll summarize my feelings on the latest three episodes. Disappointment. Episode 16 was good, but this is getting cheesier and cheesier. Hell, something great happened, and just the way the executed it embarrassed me....Yes, at the end of episode 18, victory was claimed for me! It pretty much said that super cute Nagisa won, however, I felt uneasy at how corny the moment was.

Err....it seems like I have Doppleganger fever ^_^; Some Clannad freaks mauled me for saying "Kanon > Air > Clannad" and I'm a tad pissed about it, probably resulting in me only seeing negative points in it >.> Way to ruin a show for me.....
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 AM   #55
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, I finally started watching Clannad. Instead of getting my sleep, I watched Episodes 1-3 from 12:30am to around 1:50am. And I have to say ...

1- The show is very enjoyable. So far, I like it more than I enjoyed Kanon the first time I watched Kanon.

2- Nagisa is adorable.

I don't understand how anyone could not love her the most, let alone how anyone could dislike her, except for the consideration that MAYBE some people feel that "she's too sugary-sweet" or "she's too adorable" and that turns them off. I will agree with someone who criticizes Nagisa's character if he says, "She's completely unrealistic -- she's a total moe dreamgirl. Nobody like her exists in the real world." But fuck if she isn't just about the cutest thing ever, both in looks and (waaaaaaaay more importantly) in behavior/psychology. Cute, cute, cute, cute, cute, cute. Based purely on fanart on iichan, I was a fan of Kyou, but having watched the first three episodes of Clannad, Nagisa's now at the top of my list and by a hefty margin. (Kyou retains 2nd place and is quite the fun tsundere coupled with a personality similar to Suzumiya Haruhi's Tsuruya. I love it when Kyou laughs trying to get away with stuff like the bike crash!)

But before BBB gets too excited, I have to say ... if someone were to ask me, "Who are you most attracted to in Clannad?", I would have to answer Nagisa's mom, Sanae. Oh my God, oh my God, oh my GOD. Soooooooooooooooo awesome. She's so beautiful (and I love long hair over short hair, sorry Nagisa!) and I love her personality also. I totally, 1-0-0% agree with Nagisa's dad for head-over-heels loving Sanae. She's just too lovely. Conclusion: if someone wanted to understand how I feel about the Clannad girls, I'd explain it to him like this -- for me:

Nagisa : Ayu :: Sanae : Sayuri

I want Nagisa to win, but Sanae is definitely my dreamgirl character in this series. And to be honest ... Sanae gives Sayuri some nice competition! (Though I think I'd still choose Sayuri at this point. Her laugh! )
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #56
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

When I asked as to why people hated Nagisa, I got two different answers, which both boil down to the same thing: [SPOILER]They are mad that Nagisa wins, because they prefer another girl.

One answer I got was: "She's so useless." I really have no idea how they can justify that though o.O

Second answer I got was: "She's dull, especially when compared to the other girls." I can somewhat understand this, but I can't see it since she pushes almost every moe button I have ^_^; I just wanna pick her up and hug the life out of her. I absolutely love her pouty face too X3

Also, Sanae definitely great. In appearance, I like Sanae better (coincidentally, I prefer long hair to short hair), but Nagisa's just so darn sweet.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #57
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

I'm a Nagisa hater.

The primary reason is the "she's useless" criticism, the girl's naught but a moeblob who exists to be dependent on other people and have no spine/backbone whatsoever. As Talon correctly cited, she's an unrealistic otaku ideal - like a pet in almost all respects, minus the animal instinct and with the added subtext of, "...but you can bang her, too!". I don't find many of her actions cute, but rather crudely offensive given I'm supposed to be looking at a high school girl - this, and the hissing in her speech just makes me totally disgusted by her.

This criticism is not applicable to Ayu however because Ayu has justification for acting sweet and innocent - time has stopped for her. Rather than being an underdeveloped adult, she's a slightly over-developed child.

The type of female characters I tend to like are the ones Hayao Miyazaki seems to favour in his works - feminine but otherwise strong-willed and independent women. In example, Tomoyo.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #58
Talon87
時の彼方へ

(for the record, didn't highlight the spoiler, will do so later if I remember once I get thru Ep23)

BBB, I don't dig the original PC images , but I definitely agree that she's cute when she pouts or gets mildly frustrated in the anime. ^_^ I loved when at the end of Episode 3 she's asked to present to Tomoya what ideas she has for her theater club and she's at a loss for words, and then he asks her, "What are the drawings on your posters?" "OH, THAT'S THE BIG DANGO FAMILY! ^-^" And she goes into a speech about how it's the most well-recognized well-loved Japanese children's television show ever. And Tomoya tells her, "You sound like you want to start a Dango Daikazoku club, not a theater club. :P" or some such.

Doppel, I hate moeblobs (you know that!), but Nagisa is just amazingly adorable. It's not that she's this weak helpless girl (I hate that normally!), but her manner of speaking and her "little sister who hides behind her strong big brother and clings to his shirt sleeves" relationship with Tomoya is just so "kyuuute!! >w<" I don't see how people can hate her. Do I want to bang her? Fuck no! :x (Say no to loli. -_-) Do I want to imagine Tomoya banging her? No! (And I don't want to imagine Yuuichi doing Ayu, either!) But do I want Tomoya to pick Nagisa? Absolutely. It's not for her sexability -- it's for her as a whole person, for her spirit, her personality, her being. She as a human being is more adorable (and thus "more deserving," says I) than the other girls. I dunno.

*feels uncomfortable that he, the great anti-lolikon Talon87, is being out-anti-lolikon'ed by Doppel on this one*
*feels the need to assert his manhood and anti-lolikonness*

....... oh yeah!? Well at least I liked Tsugumi best!

Doppel: Um, relevance? O_o
Talon: Quiet! -.- *at a loss for words*

EDIT: Ex fucking dee , I originally had a typo that read "Do I want to bag her? Fuck no!" lol ... "bag her" ... hahahaha ... do you want your Nagisa in paper or plastic?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #59
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Doppel, I hate moeblobs (you know that!), but Nagisa is just amazingly adorable. It's not that she's this weak helpless girl (I hate that normally!), but her manner of speaking and her "little sister who hides behind her strong big brother and clings to his shirt sleeves" relationship with Tomoya is just so "kyuuute!! >w<" I don't see how people can hate her. Do I want to bang her? Fuck no! :x (Say no to loli. -_-) Do I want to imagine Tomoya banging her? No! (And I don't want to imagine Yuuichi doing Ayu, either!) But do I want Tomoya to pick Nagisa? Absolutely. It's not for her sexability -- it's for her as a whole person, for her spirit, her personality, her being. She as a human being is more adorable (and thus "more deserving," says I) than the other girls. I dunno.
Ugh, her speech is probably what grates me most. Even Ayu's unusual "~uguu" or Suiseiseki's "~desu" never irritated me like Nagisa's lisp, which, when combined with her personality and physical form just rings in my head as - JAILBAIT! Reminds me of when Nia was first introduced in Gurren-Lagann; though rather loli, GAINAX really pushed my buttons by making her skirt very short, exposing a lot of leg, and leg fanservice is the only one that I take a liking to. It's almost as if Hiroyuki Imaishi was trying to play "dare or double dare!" with Dopple.

I can understand the "such a cute little sister!" kind of mentality, but I can't ignore the subtext of Japanese otaku finding characters like Nagisa sexually arousing and that inevitable conclusion of what would happen if Tomoya hooked up with her as in after-story. Merely pairing up an adult-looking kid like Tomoya with Nagisa in a situation that implies there could be romance automatically generates those thoughts, as well as when someone remarks the girls as being "adorable".

Something I noticed in hentai is, apparently, there's no Japanese word for "beautiful" in the full-fleshed womanly sense, just "kawaii" for cute...which Japanese boys in anime substitute in situations where Westerners would put "hot". That always screamed to me that hentai had inherent loli tendencies or undertones, which just seems to bleed through a show like Clannad all too starkly.

Normally, I'm not one who takes spectacular offense to loli, I just have a typical dislike of it, but something about Clannad and the moe saturation just twists my ear the wrong direction.

Quote:
*feels uncomfortable that he, the great anti-lolikon Talon87, is being out-anti-lolikon'ed by Doppel on this one*
*feels the need to assert his manhood and anti-lolikonness*

....... oh yeah!? Well at least I liked Tsugumi best!

Doppel: Um, relevance? O_o
Talon: Quiet! -.- *at a loss for words*
Rest assured, I can see where you're walking, I just can't follow that path without stepping into the "too far even for me" territory.

Quote:
EDIT: Ex fucking dee , I originally had a typo that read "Do I want to bag her? Fuck no!" lol ... "bag her" ... hahahaha ... do you want your Nagisa in paper or plastic?
Bag or bang, it works either way.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #60
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've watched thru Episode 7 and ...

I'm AWW for Fuuko. ^-^ Absolutely adorable. Yes, she's a rehash of Ayu from Kanon in terms of being a peculiar apparition of a girl who is currently hospitalized, although this time she's like what we thought Ayu was -- the ghost coming out of the girl herself -- and not what Ayu turned out to be in the end -- Yuuichi deluding himself, and God knows if the others were just playing along or what O_o, but putting that to the side, she's ab-so-lute-ly adorable. And they're strongly hinting at an ending for her I do not want! That stated ... yeah, if Clannad was an eroge like Kanon was, I gotta say that the Fuuko path is just plain wrong. >_> Fuuko is "aww" like "I want to scoop you up and hug you and protect you like you're my own daughter," not a miniature love interest. EDIT-Update: I just learned that Clannad is not an eroge, unlike Kanon and Air. Interesting. And good! Because:
a) it means I don't have to worry about a Fuuko path existing, and
b) it means Doppel's hatred for Nagisa due to his imagining people wanting to fap to her ought to be toned down a few notches since the CREATORS OF THE GAME THEMSELVES decided that she ought not to be sexed up by the protagonist. Nice.

I'd keep watching, but I've got stuff to do ... maybe I'll squeeze in Episodes 8 and 9 later tonight before bed. Anyway, 7 episodes in and I'm enjoying it a lot! (Better than Kanon still!) I just hope that when I hit Tomoyo and Kotomi's paths the going doesn't get so dull that I drop it ... I really don't like the strong quiet manly-but-wishes-she-were-more-feminine types (Motoko in Love Hina, Mai in Kanon, and now Tomoyo in Clannad), and I'm not a big fan of the spaced-out-all-the-time-and-so-sex-with-her is-basically-like-date-rape girls, either (Kotomi in Clannad).

One last Fuuko picture! (Oh yeah: grr at the fansubbers for spelling her name Fuko when it's ?? -- the "u" is long!)
Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #61
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
b) it means Doppel's hatred for Nagisa due to his imagining people wanting to fap to her ought to be toned down a few notches since the CREATORS OF THE GAME THEMSELVES decided that she ought not to be sexed up by the protagonist. Nice.
There's one huge problem with that I CAN'T SAY RIGHT NOW FOR REASONS UNRELATED TO PASBL.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #62
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I think Dopple might be justified in that reason. I'm not going deeper as to why (I don't know whether it's true or not, since I haven't finished it. I also have no idea what he meant by what he just said o.O)

Also, Fuko's sister takes the prize for the most adorable teacher evar. I have a screenshot of her, but that's from the visual novel.

As for Kotomi, she's funny as hell. The first two episodes in her arc are great.

Finally, for something said earlier. Don't say no to lawlies ;_; They are the most adorable and huggable things that have emerged from the imaginations of people. DO say no to people who defile and dream of violating them though >.> (speaking of lawlies, I have a Kanokon pic to show whenever I get home.)
Old 04-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #63
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I come from the hentai community, so I guess I say those things without thinking of how other people in non-hentai communities may interpret the wording. When I say "Say No to Loli," I mean H-loli and Fanservice Loli. I don't mean "get rid of characters like Ayu in Kanon, Fuuko in Clannad, and Kyon's sister in Haruhi." I love those characters! Although (a) only in moderation (they get boring when they're everywhere, like they sort of are becoming now =\) and (b) only in the "I want to hug you and adopt you" sense.

I finished Fuuko's arc last night. SOOOO SAAAAD! I think I'm through either Ep10 or Ep11 ... 10 probably. It's the episode where Tomoya is taking Kotomi around the school to meet new friends and he gets her to join the theater club.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Looks like I'm flying through Clannad -- I just finished Episode 13, so it looks like I've got one more to go to finish the Kotomi story arc and then it's either Kyou (woohoo!) or Tomoyo (booooooooooring ). Part of me would like to see it be Kyou vs. Nagisa all the way up until the end, but the other part of me says "NO!" because of how little screentime Nayuki got when it was Nayuki vs. Ayu in the Kanon remake.

I don't understand why people disliked Kotomi's story arc, which I seem to remember people saying. (iirc they said it was boring) It's a hell of a lot more interesting and she's a hell of a lot cuter and root for-able than ... what was her name? the girl with cancer? (Kanon) or Mai (Kanon), and iirc a lot of people seemed to swallow Mai's storyline fine. (Poor cloak-girl, no love! lol I've even forgotten her name. XFD) It wasn't as good as the awesome cuteness and tragicness that was Ibuki Fuuko's story arc, but it was still good.

At this rate, I'll probably finish Clannad before next Friday . Pretty amusing: most people had to wait 23 weeks, and I get to watch the whole thing in 2. This is precisely why I prefer to watch anime once they're finished and not a moment sooner. I've gotten pretty bad about not doing it in recent years (Geass, Kaiji, Geass R2, Myself Yourself, Minamike, etc.), but this really harkens back for me to the days when I watched Hikaru no Go, Planetes, and Elfen Lied.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #65
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished Episode 17. Best scene evar with Kyou and Tomoya in the gym storage shed. It wasn't outlandishly funny because we saw it coming from miles away, but it was outlandishly well-fitting, i.e. everything flowed so naturally -- so naturally that I felt it could have really happened in reality, unlike the many similar scenes which we see but never mistake for taking place anywhere outside of anime. Between Kyou no 5 no 2 and Clannad, I'm hard-pressed to say whose gym storage shed story I like more!

With only six episodes to go, I'm hoping that the next episode is Tomoyo's last one (though I harbor my doubts) because I'd like the final 2.5 hours of the show to be dedicated to:

1) Kyou, who I really do like a whole lot: she'd be my pick, but she's not my pick for Okazaki
2) Nagisa, who I find adorable and who I do pick for Okazaki
3) the robot & "lonely girl" story thingy that I have no effing clue about

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime