UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #76
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

So we're 3 episodes into Doki Doki Precure. So far I haven't found any big problems. Of course there's a few nit-pickey things here and there. They flesh out the characters really well. Rikka was great in the latest episode. Her friendship with Mana was really well done and I liked how she backed Mana up. Though because they stuff so much information/events in the episodes, the fights are skimped on. I don't mind this since development > fight scenes, but I hope it doesn't become a trend. Not every episode in a 48 episode anime will focus on development.

I really hope things go on like this. So far I have enjoyed watching Doki Doki Precure, even enough to rewatch each episode with both sub groups. Well 2 out of 4 of them anyway.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #77
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, apparently Commie's herkz and DoReMi's Ladholyman are having a war of words over their respective teams' subbing efforts for DokiDoki Pretty Cure. herkz not only asserts that DoReMi is stuck in the past with their method of raw acquisition and their encoding philosophy (8-bit AVIs, I guess, vs. 10-bit MKVs), he's also suggested that their translations are poor. This spawned a bit of a "no u!" "NO U!" argument between the two, so ... you know what that means ... I'll check this out myself just to analyze the two translations. I always thought DoReMi was pretty good myself with Keroro Gunsou, and Commie's TLs have made some ridiculously green errors when they don't have CrunchyRoll or Funimation subs holding their hand, so my initial hypothesis certainly is "Commie is wrong, DoReMi's translations are better." But maybe I didn't pay close enough attention with Keroro Gunsou. Or maybe DoReMi has a different translator for PreCure than they did for Keroro Gunsou. No idea. I shall see! And I shall get back to you.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #78
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
How did you hear about this, Talon?

Yeah I saw the slap fight first-hand between the two translators several weeks ago, I didn't think Doremi had to defend itself since while Commie did have some legitimate criticisms, most of them were snobbish/preferential. Commie's translator for Doki favoured the "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!" extreme localization for the subs, while Doremi was more inclined to provide more literal, Japanese-syntax/colloquialism invoking translations. To be fair, the issue was not over translation, but over localization. Commie never criticized Doremi's ability to read Japanese, but rather its ability to write English.

For whatever reason, Doremi felt personally insulted and took to the field to defend the translations, which I didn't think was necessary. Most of the fans I've noticed have been pretty dismissive of Commie's accusations and that just pissed them off. If they're still pushing the issue, it's because of massive butt pain.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #79
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The fight spilled over onto Commie's blog, that's how.

Anyway, I was going to post this ...
Quote:
"get back to me when you learn enough japanese to translate a kids show with closed captions," you say, which prompted me to compare the two teams' scripts. From what I saw, Commie's translator seems to be translating informed by the pictures in some instances rather than accurately translating what's actually spoken by the characters. For example, in the dropped wallet scene in Episode 01, Mana says says 落し物、解いてたぞ (I found what you dropped/lost) which Commie translates as "Here's your lost wallet" (contextually fine but it's not what Mana said) vs. DoReMi's "I found what you lost" (perfect). This is followed up with 良かったね (Thank goodness[, right?] / Good thing, huh?, etc.) which Commie's somehow morphed into "So don't worry" (again, the words fit the scene but it's not at all what she just said!) whereas DoReMi's offered "Isn't that great?" (just fine). It's not that one has to be or even should be hyper-literal all the time. A good translation translates messages, not words. But when you have a choice between accurate message + precise words vs. accurate message + not at all precise words, the former is always better.
... but I opted against it because, as I continued to watch the episode, I noticed DoReMi making their own fair share of syntactic errors. For example, the part where Mana tells the boys that if they keep up this fighting then the tower will laugh at them, that part Commie got right but DoReMi split into isolated sentences. Worse yet, when Mana's student council friend asks her why Mana is always troubling herself with others' problems, DoReMi bungled it a bit into "Why do people always push their troubles onto you?" It's not the people being accused of pushing their troubles onto Mana: it's Mana being accused of burdening herself with others' troubles. Which makes sense even from the context of the episode, so there's contextual reinforcement of the dialogue there.

From what I watched (first two-thirds of Ep01 for Commie, first one-third of Ep01 for DoReMi), I'm seeing both groups doing really good jobs. Not necessarily super-infallible-awesome-great, but both are very good. Few real errors by either team. Just a lot of tiny nuances of translation where I find myself siding more with one team, the other, or neither. But like ... these both seem fine.

If I had to pick, from what I've seen so far, I'd probably go with DoReMi simply because:
- fewer translation choices that've bothered me so far (though who knows were I to keep watching; tbh, the list of DoReMi questionable translations keeps growing the longer I watch ^^; ...)
- less translator-being-a-dope forced puns that weren't originally there (one time this guy says nanja arya "What the hell is that!?" and Commie translated it as "What the crab is that!?" -_-; They did a similar stupid pun earlier too that again was absent from the actual dialogue)

But like, either is fine from what little I checked out. Neither one is perfect, neither one is a rewrite done by a total scrub, and one is not significantly different from the other. It's like comparing a sweet crunchy red apple with another cultivar of sweet crunchy red apple, never mind green apple, never mind an orange.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #80
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Such sounds consistent with what I've seen and what I've heard. Not surprised since Commie decided out of nowhere to bust into the PreCure business and they haven't really endeared themselves. It's like that one group who encroached on Triad's right over Kaiji (Commie? I forget)...until Triad itself broke down, nobody was going to follow another group exclusively for it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #81
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Such sounds consistent with what I've seen and what I've heard. Not surprised since Commie decided out of nowhere to bust into the PreCure business and they haven't really endeared themselves. It's like that one group who encroached on Triad's right over Kaiji (Commie? I forget)...until Triad itself broke down, nobody was going to follow another group exclusively for it.
If you're talking about Kaiji S2, then Nutbladder was, as far as I know, their only initial competitor. Then when both Triad was failing it (fell behind / de facto dropped the series) and when Nutbladder was failing it (poor translations), Underwater-Commie stepped forward and did an episode of Kaiji just to show up Nutbladder. Then Commie lost interest but Underwater continued to release random episodes whenever Daiz felt like showing up Nutbladder. Which was unfortunate considering his episodes were much better, but it's a shame that his motivation was such as it was and that he only bothered to release two or three episodes. I think one other group might've gotten in on the action (I forget), and then ultimately, to everyone's surprise, DoReMi of all groups randomly decided to sub an episode. And theirs was great, but once again, it's too bad they only offered once. ^^;

Someone pointed out a script error in Commie's script for Episode 04 that's really pretty bad for their argument that their translator is better than DoReMi's:
Quote:
>kongetsu no ochakai wa raishuu deshou
>Didn’t we have our monthly tea party last week?
wat
The line he wrote first should be translated as "This month's tea party is next week, right?" / "Isn't this month's tea party next week?" Instead of talking about the future (raishuu, "next week"), Commie's translator made the understandable but embarrassingly neophyte gaffe of mistaking it for the past (senshuu, "last week"). It's definitely below professional standards, but more importantly for this pissing contest, it's not the sort of error you can afford to make when you're talking shit about somebody else's translations.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #82
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I don't really have any big problems with either group as far as sub style goes (In Doki Doki Precure mind you). Doremi has some awkward English here and there and maybe a typo or two (why do you cover your hears?!), and Commie sometimes tries too hard to be cool shit sub guys (in one show, they subbed Yakisoba bread as "noodle hotdog"). I prefer more literal translations, because it's a translation, not a dub. Though I guess all of the cool kids want heavily localized squid puns in their subtitles nowadays.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #83
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Smile Precure Movie
This was released on DVD and subbed, so I watched this when I got the chance. For the most part, this isn't a bad movie at all. It's a bit pointless, but I like what they did for the movie only character. I like her design as well. Her massive wing-like hair is nice. Also the fights are really cool, which is pretty much a given in Precure movie. They actually made good use of the Smiles' powers. For negatives, I guess there aren't any huge ones. Atleast I can't think of many. Overall, I'd say this gets a 7.5.

Doki Dokkaan's latest episode redeemed the previous week's bad episode. It was pretty good, and Mana's damn laugh near the end was amazing. She won quite a few points with me just for that scene.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #84
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I watched the Smile movie too.

I tend to like the movies more than BBB, or that's my observation, but this one is clearly the worst of the ones I've seen.

Stuff I liked

-the art, animation, and voices were crisp and choreography was all excellent
-the first half was a rainbow roller-coaster of fun
-the miracle light scene wasn't too out of place and ridiculous
-Candy shut up for most of the movie, but she she talked, she said useful things instead of wallowing in gratuitous self-indulgence
-the Demon King was a Shadow Phoenix that fought the Rainbow Phoenix made from the Princess Candles
-Miyuki's angel form was pretty and had some visible power
-the story villains (Ox King, the oni from Momotaro, etc.) were cool dudes

Other stuff

Nico was decent as an antagonist, but I felt the development could have been better. I liked how she, seemingly an elementary school kid, was stubbornly resisting apologizing to Miyuki. Her retribution was pretty child-like in thinking as well. The conflict seemed decent enough - Miyuki, as a pre-schooler, couldn't make do on her promise and Nico was hurt. What happened to the book was a big mystery to me that wasn't revealed.

Miyuki made some progress on a believable make-up with Nico by quoting her book, but she didn't go further than that. I felt it was obvious that if Miyuki learned to smile because of Nico, she could have pointed out that she not only made friends in pre-school but was able to become who she was today (Cure Happy) because of it. Miyuki never made that last step.

BBB didn't notice any flaws but there was a huge glaring one to me. And that was the Demon King. The Demon King is the antagonist in Nico's story. From the first half, it looked like he had possessed Nico and was using her hatred to prevent the story from ever seeing completion, where he would inevitably be defeated. This is distinct from to what happened in Princess Tutu with Drosselmeyer and in the Smile main series, where the villains wanted a decidedly Bad Ending.

So, for the last half of the movie, here we have the Demon King being antagonistic, but he seems like a full-on ally of Nico. His motivations remain merely "I hate happy things, I love hatred, I hate you, die!", making him little more than a Pierrot in depth. That's a step down from Baron Salamander and Toymajin. Toymajin's irrational antagonism was explained away as "he's so emotionally hurt, words won't get through to him anymore" which I totally bought. Baron Salamander kind of went insane and was trying to stay loyal to his nature despite his torn conflict with his adopted son. It would make sense if the Demon King was stepping beyond his bounds in the story to maintain limbo, or if he was fulfilling his role of being the antagonist by hurting Nico. He did neither, he was just was.

I also didn't like how Nico figured she could write the ending to her own story. She's a character in a book. Wasn't the whole point of this conflict because the characters couldn't finish the story, they needed a writer to do it? Miyuki should have red-drawn the ending, it's not un-possible considering Yayoi is a god-dang manga-ka. Miyuki could have made up the ending and Yayoi drawn it. But, I think that connects to the Demon King problem, because to write a fairy tale one has to describe un-biased antagonism and they clearly wanted to nerf the Demon King's evil by the end. I still don't know what his role as a devil dumpling is meant to be.

The movie also showed that the series ripped off a lot of ideas from it. The fairy tales featured were also recreated in the main series. The movie itself in structure is basically like Fresh and HeartCatch's, with a weaker main antagonist. The plot flow from "exploration" to "split-up", "antagonist appear!", "appeal to emotion", "never!" followed by miracle lights and new transformation to purify the bad guys. Of course, the main series is pretty guilty too, but the apocalyptic End of the World in total despair only happened during Futari wa, its clone Splash Star and Smile. At least from what I've seen. But this is the first time a movie's done it.

Overally, it's not a bad film, but it's a step below all three of the others I saw. What started promising basically degraded into another episode of Smile, but one of the better Smile episodes that wasn't a top 5.

Dunno what number I'd put on this, but it's on the sea-floor for me, maybe slightly below New Stage.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #85
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

We're about 20 episodes through Doki Dokkaan Precure, so I guess this is a good place to talk about it. So far my initial excitement has worn down a bit. I mean it's by no means bad. It's genuinely entertaining and I like the characters. It's just that the fight scenes are awful. Looking back I complained they were lacking, which unfortunately hasn't changed. Actually they're worse. Most of them are the Precure standing around taking attacks until they gain some miracle power up. Even Smile's awful scenes were better than this!

I've given up on decent fights in this season, but everything else should hopefully be okay. The show doesn't reek of mental retardation like Suite and Smile do at the very least.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #86
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

By sharp contrast, I've been enchanted by it. No, it's not up to the same standards set by prior PreCure, but it's definitely better than Smile and presumably Suite.

The slice-of-life is the best since HeartCatch (Yes 5 had the best, I think), and the girls are genuinely interesting. They have subdued and mild personalities compared to the exaggerated, hyperactive, almost stock caricatures of Smile. The consistent and steady feed of plot and character development with a sugar coating has been pleasing.

The only fault is Regina's development is a lot more sudden and rougher than Setsuna's in Fresh. Fresh had the single most quality development of a villain of the PreCure franchise, I think. The whole season was dedicated to Eas and lead up to her shocking end, and Regina doesn't equal that.

The fights are really bad but I don't think I've ever really been all that enthusiastic about a PreCure fight. I think Futari wa and Splash Star had the best from an action stand-point, but Fresh's amused me the most because they were so frequently silly.

I don't want to call Doki bad, since it's NOT bad, but it's tough to match up well with the good PreCure (HeartCatch, Yes 5, Fresh) or even the middling (Futari wa, Splash Star). It doesn't do any one thing exceptionally, just a lot of things well, and one thing poorly.

I'd call it more "fulfilling" than "fun".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #87
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This show is so invasive, it's like a feminine hand is groping my chest...err, the heart that's trapped within my chest. It's a virtual moe machine, churning out overpowering, touching moments on a conveyor belt.

Episode 20 was amazing. We're headed into some truly novel territory from here on out!

FUDGE SMILE
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #88
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The fudge?

Spoiler: show
Cure Ace's identity is so random. Like, what the heck is this crack??
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #89
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Doki Dokkaan is about halfway through, so I guess it's a good time to talk about what I think of it so far. Honestly, it's pretty meh for the most part. It's not insultingly retarded like Suite or Smile is (atleast outside of the battle scenes), but it's also nothing special. It has its good moments, and the SoL moments are fun, but it isn't meeting the potential Doki Dokkaan showed when it first aired. Also Cure Ace is annoying. This is a 6 so far.

Precure All Stars New Stage 2
This was subbed recently, and I watched it. Like Doki Dokkaan, it's okay. The moments with the two movie mascots are pretty good, but the whole "mascot school all about Precure" is really silly. Admittedly the scene with Beat and Passion was nice too. I guess I should also be happy that they decided to give Erika and Tsubomi voices in this one. I dunno, I didn't feel much with this movie. This gets a 6 from me.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #90
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Saban licensed PreCure. It's going to be released in America as Glitter Force. And the first season begins with Smile.

I think my teeth fell out.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #91
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Man, time sure does fly. Is the DokiDoki PreCure series over yet? I noticed that Commie'd released the first episode of "HeartCatch PreCure", which sounds new to me. Is the old one already done? O_o If so, what did you guys end up thinking about it? How would you rank it compared to the other ones you've seen?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #92
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

HeartCatch PreCure is the 6th series, Doki is the 9th. That said, Doki should be finished up come January...time sure does fly.

HCPC is probably the best overall. It's just so solid in all the story-telling/presentation aspects, individual preference is the only determinant for ranking the other series more highly.

Commie likely released HCPC as a salvo for its war against DoReMi.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #93
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
HeartCatch PreCure is the 6th series, Doki is the 9th. That said, Doki should be finished up come January...time sure does fly.

HCPC is probably the best overall. It's just so solid in all the story-telling/presentation aspects, individual preference is the only determinant for ranking the other series more highly.

Commie likely released HCPC as a salvo for its war against DoReMi.
Ahaaaaaaa. Thanks for all of the wonderful answers. They all make so much sense.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #94
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Man, time sure does fly. Is the DokiDoki PreCure series over yet? I noticed that Commie'd released the first episode of "HeartCatch PreCure", which sounds new to me. Is the old one already done? O_o If so, what did you guys end up thinking about it? How would you rank it compared to the other ones you've seen?
To answer your question about the current one right now...ahem. Honestly, it's really meh so far. It's not bad, but I just don't feel anything when watching Doki Dokkaan lately. It started out showing potential, but it's like they suddenly changed writers, and are turning this show into Smile. I had hopes for this week's episode, since they were supposed to move back onto the plot, but supposedly it was bad too. Honestly, I've lost hope for this year's Precure.

For ranking, if things stay like this, I would rank Doki Dokkan 4th from the bottom.

Also, I pretty much despise Commie as Precure fans. Their comment section in Nyaa for Precure every week is the kind of obnoxious yuri fan filth I quit interacting with the Precure community for. I don't hate them for liking it, but they shove it down everyone's throats.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #95
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It seems like Doki Dokkaan Precure might be going back on the right track....after about 15 episodes of crappy filler. In that 15 episodes, only two of them were good, and both of them involved Rikka. The rest were bad/meh.

Anyway, the latest episode was braincell killing retarded, but the two before it were pretty good, and showed the potential this show had in the first place. Actually episode 40 had this really really nice scene in it. My god this shows that Toei can do really well when they actually give two fucks about what they're doing. Here's the scene from episode 40. It's a big spoiler, but I doubt anyone but me and Doppel are into Precure anyway! There's just so much right about that scene. Makoto undoing her transformation to get her mascot to turn on the song, the fighting going on while she's singing, the transformation as she's attacked while still singing, then the face grab. The fact that the song didn't fully work was nice as well, since the song instantly working would be kinda dumb, and I've seen it way too many times.

Episodes 39 and 40 have given me a little hope that Doki Doki Precure will get back on the right track.....let's hope they don't make me regret getting my hopes up.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #96
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

With this latest episode of Doki Doki Precure, I am finished with the show! It seems those two episodes I mentioned last post were the last good episodes this show had. The rest of the show is the same mindless nonsense that started around episode 20. What the fuck happened with this show? It had so much damn potential, and the writers just threw it all away. We had two villains with interesting development, some nice characters, and an actual plot. Nothing became of this though. It all just fizzled out into bunch of generic phrases about love and blatant merchandising. Actually the merchandising is fucking ridiculous. They introduce a new toy like every 5 episodes. After about 20 episodes, when a certain character appears, we get a stretch of about 18 filler episodes. All but two of them were bad/meh. Overall, Doki Doki Precure gets a 5 from me. For me, it is the 4th worst Precure that has aired.

Next week starts their new show, Happiness Charge Precure! Haah...I've almost lost hope in Precure. This makes the third year in a row we've had a bad Precure. Yeah Happiness Charge has Cure Meloetta, and I love blue's face, but I don't think Toei is going to bother trying to have a good show anymore. I heard Kamen Rider and Sentai have gone to shit as well.

I'll blabber on about the first episode of Happiness Charge when it airs.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #97
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

4 posts in a row! I'm on a fucking roll!

I watched the first episode of Happiness Charge Precure RAW. As far as first episodes go, I can't say I have any real problems. It was actually a really fun episode. Hime was especially entertaining. This show seems to want to emulate Heartcatch's mood by making it very quirky. Also they have a super idol voice the main girl just like Heartcatch. Though admittedly the animation seems to have taken a bit of a hit. The animation isn't really up to recent Precure standards. It would be nice if this meant they were spending their budget on good writers, but I know where that kind of optimism leads me. Actually I think they spent all their budget on that damn ending. Jesus fucking christ it was a high quality ending.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #98
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I found the first episode of HaCha to be extremely underwhelming, from start to finish (including the ED). When the cameo of Cure Black is what you like the best, things are not good.

I'm seriously worried about how quickly HaCha can maintain its good will. Among first episodes, this one has got to be one of the worst, if not THE worst for me. I found myself spacing out like during an episode of Aikatsu! and it took me forever to get through it. All not good signs.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 AM   #99
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

For the first time in Precure during my first 20 episodes of Happiness Charge Precure, I couldn't stomach an episode and skipped it. The animation was piss poor in the episode, and everything was just downright sloppy.

Honestly, I can't take this shit anymore. Toei clearly has no intention on even trying. In the past few years, even if the writing was piss poor, the animation somewhat made up for it. In Happiness Charge, it's like watching a kid scribble on a piece of a paper. I just don't feel anything except for frustration and disappointment when watching this.

After watching and getting into a good kid's show, I see no reason to tolerate this garbage anymore. I'll still check out a new Precure each year, but I have no hopes for this any more. It sucks that the best Precure, Heartcatch, was the last good one to air.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #100
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Doublepost! I guess I should have included this in my last post. In all my irritation, I forgot to mention I watched the Doki Doki Precure movie.

I'm going to tell a few spoilers, but let's be honest, I'm the only one who is interested in this movie anyway.

Unlike the TV show, profits on the movie are directly related to the quality of the movie, so guess what? Toei actually tried with the movie, and it was pretty good. I mean, it was the usual song and dance talking about great Mana is, but it still tells a really good story about her past, with Mana having to choose to stay in the past before her dog and grandmother died (TWO HIT COMBO!), or face the future. My biggest disappointment in the movie is how little the other characters are explored. They also do away with Aguri completely, but let's be honest, that's a good thing. Overall, the Doki Doki Precure movie gets an 8.

Toei can really do well when they try. I keep saying this, and this is why I've stuck with bad Precure shows for 3 years. I see these quality hiccups and stupidly think "Maybe Toei will try this year!". Here's to hoping Umakoshi will stop wasting his time on that shitty Saint Seiya Omega and do another Precure!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime