UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #2376
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
I hate Durant now.

I could've won this match had Durant not been an imbecile.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #2377
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicRein View Post
I hate Durant now.

I could've won this match had Durant not been an imbecile.
So I have to ask -- your Durant didn't happen to have Hone Claws, did it?
Talon87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #2378
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
That's a negative, it didn't have Hone Claws.

Which, that fact, basically cost me the match.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #2379
Red Panda
head head bitch

Shiny new OU team

Spoiler: show
So today I battled Lost with an OU team I haven't used in a while, and it got me interested in it again. So, I made a new team!

A technique I had never tried out before was Baton Pass, and a pokemon that I've always loved is Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt is crippled by it's horrible speed stat, but this gen it got Adaptability, so I figured that boosting that speed would be the best thing to do.

So, I put Scolipede on my team. It only has Megahorn as an attacking move, but I haven't used it yet. I usually Swords Dance first, then Protect, then Baton Pass.

And let me tell you, Crawdaunt is really good. If not for Crabhammer missing I would've swept the team.

Gothitelle is an excellent trapper, and I love using it. I wouldn't expect MegaManectric to be useful, but it's definitely saved me a few times. Espeon is an excellent screener. Hawlucha is a great Revenge killer, though I'm still unsure of whether or not I should put Weavile in it's place simply because of more speed (outspeeding Greninja and Adamant Talonflames).
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #2380
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Shiny new OU team

So today I battled Lost with an OU team I haven't used in a while, and it got me interested in it again. So, I made a new team!

A technique I had never tried out before was Baton Pass, and a pokemon that I've always loved is Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt is crippled by it's horrible speed stat, but this gen it got Adaptability, so I figured that boosting that speed would be the best thing to do.

So, I put Scolipede on my team. It only has Megahorn as an attacking move, but I haven't used it yet. I usually Swords Dance first, then Protect, then Baton Pass.

And let me tell you, Crawdaunt is really good. If not for Crabhammer missing I would've swept the team.

Gothitelle is an excellent trapper, and I love using it. I wouldn't expect MegaManectric to be useful, but it's definitely saved me a few times. Espeon is an excellent screener. Hawlucha is a great Revenge killer, though I'm still unsure of whether or not I should put Weavile in it's place simply because of more speed (outspeeding Greninja and Adamant Talonflames).
While its not common or of concern, your team looks like it gets totally wrecked by Trick Room :P
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #2381
Mew The Gato

Quote:
Shiny new OU team

Actually, maximum Speed Deoxys-S is faster than Crawdaunt, even if the latter is at +2, and a lot of Deoxys-S carry Superpower. You might want to give Crawdaunt Aqua Jet to deal with priority users. It would save it from Thundurus, because most Thundurus carry Thunder Wave, which would cripple Crawdaunt. If you can outspeed, you can use +2 Aqua Jet to OHKO it before it does so. Adamant +2 Aqua Jet will always do this, while Jolly usually shall, too. Unfortunately, even Adamant Aqua Jet at +2 will not always OHKO Deoxys-S, so, you might want to set up Entry Hazards. They are always good for a sweep, anyway.
Mew The Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #2382
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Quote:
Shiny new OU team

Little nitpick, but Aqua Jet was a OHKO against Excadrill, assuming you had it. Excadrills defenses are piss poor weak. Cool team tho.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #2383
Red Panda
head head bitch

Yeah the first set I had for Crawdaunt was Crabhammer/X-Scissor/Brick Break/Knock Off. I changed it to Crabhammer/Rock Slide/X-Scissor/Knock Off.

But yes I could really use the priority, and rock slide is useless, so I'll put in Aqua Jet. Thanks for the suggestions! And the one TR team I faced only had Reuniclus as a setter so Gothitelle destroyed.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #2384
Heather
Naga's Voice

Ah, Crawdaunt. I LOVE Crawdaunt. He pulled it through a Protean Her inja's Dark pulse to KO said Greninja and win the match with an Adaptability Night Slash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #2385
Mew The Gato

Quote:
Yeah the first set I had for Crawdaunt was Crabhammer/X-Scissor/Brick Break/Knock Off. I changed it to Crabhammer/Rock Slide/X-Scissor/Knock Off.

But yes I could really use the priority, and rock slide is useless, so I'll put in Aqua Jet. Thanks for the suggestions! And the one TR team I faced only had Reuniclus as a setter so Gothitelle destroyed.
Consider adding some bulky Pokemon. Gothitelle is the closest you have to one, and even it suffers from average base HP. While your team may have a lot of offensive presence with a +2 Speed Crawdaunt running around, all of the Pokemon in the team are incredibly frail. You may want to use Klefki for a Dual Screens user over Espeon, and give Heal Bell to Gothitelle. Klefki's own Thunder Wave can be used to stop sweeps short, not to mention it lets Crawdaunt be a serious threat, even without a Speed boost. You can run Spikes / Dual Screen / Thunder Wave Klefki to set up Spikes for the Entry Hazards that will allow you to sweep, Dual Screens to help the fact that the entirety of your team is frail without Dual Screens, and Thunder Wave to stop threats that could otherwise pull off a clean sweep. For example, if Manectric has not Mega Evolved, Mega Pinsir is perfectly capable of tearing through the entire team. Same with Mega Charizard X if it manages to set up Dragon Dance, who does not even care about Manectric being Mega Evolved. Or you may replace a move with Foul Play to prevent it form being Taunt bait.

Or you can ignore this and go for Hyper Offense.

Last edited by Mew The Gato; 06-21-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Mew The Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #2386
Red Panda
head head bitch

No, I'll test out your theories. I definitely have a problem with Choice Darmanitan and CharX, so maybe Bulky Quagsire? Not sure. Will swap out Espeon for Klefki though.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #2387
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
Bulky Quagsire is the only Pokemon who can wall CharX.

Also what tier are you playing that Banded Darmanitan is an issue?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #2388
Red Panda
head head bitch

I'm playing OU. My score sits around mid 1300's. And for some reason Scarf Darmanitan outspeeds like my whole team.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #2389
Princess Ana

Ahhh. Yeah once you get out of there no one uses Darmanitan.

SR is key. Also screens suck do not use screens.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #2390
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"dio cane" (VGC 2014, 8 turns)

For the first time in ... possibly ever, I drafted neither Charizard nor Gardevoir when picking my team out this time. I took one look at his team and I systematically ruled in others or ruled out one of those two, and in the end I found that I had selected Rotom-W and Salamence for my leads (anti-physical attack, not too uncomfortable with Gengar either though not ideal) and with Talonflame and Aegislash on hand for backup.

My choices ended up being pretty great given who he decided to bring. He leads with Medicham and Machamp, who I immediately intimidate down to 0.67x Attack strength. Unfortunately, Turn 1 wasn't so hot for me from there: my opponent used both Fake Out and DynamicPunch against Rotom-W, locking me out of getting a Reflect up that turn as well as locking me out of having much of a turn period: because I used that same turn to get Salamence the fuck out of there, anticipating that he was to be Machamp's target, and in I switched an Aegislash in his place. Weeeeeell boo. :\

From there, though, the match proceeded into a game I'm quite fond of (and, if I may say, quite good at ): which is the game of "I switch, you switch" where eventually I wrest sente from my opponent and dictate the flow of the match from there. It doesn't take long, and by Turn 5 I am ready to make some sacrifices in the name of winning the entire game.

Turn 5 sees me exposing Aegislash and Salamence to the threat of KOs. I can't risk using King's Shield that turn and then my opponent ends up targeting Salamence -- which, being exactly what he ended up doing, makes my decision all the greater. I also can't be too afraid of him switching out Medicham -- he isn't likely to switch to anything else which is immune to Ghost and so I can count on Aegislash doing at least some good damage this turn. But the turn goes better than anticipated when:
  • I get a OHKO off against a Medicham who stays put
  • Yache Berry helps Salamence avoid being KOed by Lickilicky
  • Salamence gets in a Dragon Dance
And then comes Turn 6. My opponent chooses to call Lickilicky back for Gengar -- not a great move -- while I have Aegislash target Lickilicky's position with Iron Head and I have Salamence go for Machamp's jugular with a powered-up Dragon Claw. My dragon is able to shave off 75% of Machamp's HP ... and my ghost sword snags yet another OHKO. Salamence falls, but not before my opponent mutters a defeated "dio cane", which is apparently Italian for "God dog" and I guess means something along the lines of "son of a bitch" or "mother fucker" but with God squeezed in there instead? ^^; It's not a nice phrase, whatever it is.

Turn 7 is just me playing cautiously. I could've gone for another Shadow Sneak but I opted not to.

Turn 8 he forfeits, emotionally defeated as well as in no real position to win the game. Aegislash had been ordered to use Shadow Sneak against Machamp while Rotom-W had been ordered to fire off a second Discharge. With a completely healthy Talonflame still warming my team's bench, it was gg.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #2391
Red Panda
head head bitch

So after a few battles, some thoughts:

Klefki is a definite no. It's probably great at what it does, but for me even walls and support need to have some sort of offensive presence. I basically see it as an empty slot.

I replaced Hawlucha with Quagsire. Ehhhhh. I don't think that it was the right pokemon to replace. Thoughts on this? Overall Quaggy does his job nicely, but I miss Hawlucha.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #2392
Princess Ana

Why did you use Hawlucha again? I mean...you could use Terrak. Sub Salac was pretty pro come the end of Gen V, not sure if its any good now though.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #2393
Red Panda
head head bitch

Hawlucha I used for the Fighting coverage and revenge-killing.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #2394
Princess Ana

I would try out Choice Scarf Terrak for that slot then. Works a lot better.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #2395
Red Panda
head head bitch

Will do!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #2396
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
"dio cane" (VGC 2014, 8 turns)

For the first time in ... possibly ever, I drafted neither Charizard nor Gardevoir when picking my team out this time. I took one look at his team and I systematically ruled in others or ruled out one of those two, and in the end I found that I had selected Rotom-W and Salamence for my leads (anti-physical attack, not too uncomfortable with Gengar either though not ideal) and with Talonflame and Aegislash on hand for backup.

My choices ended up being pretty great given who he decided to bring. He leads with Medicham and Machamp, who I immediately intimidate down to 0.67x Attack strength. Unfortunately, Turn 1 wasn't so hot for me from there: my opponent used both Fake Out and DynamicPunch against Rotom-W, locking me out of getting a Reflect up that turn as well as locking me out of having much of a turn period: because I used that same turn to get Salamence the fuck out of there, anticipating that he was to be Machamp's target, and in I switched an Aegislash in his place. Weeeeeell boo. :\

From there, though, the match proceeded into a game I'm quite fond of (and, if I may say, quite good at ): which is the game of "I switch, you switch" where eventually I wrest sente from my opponent and dictate the flow of the match from there. It doesn't take long, and by Turn 5 I am ready to make some sacrifices in the name of winning the entire game.

Turn 5 sees me exposing Aegislash and Salamence to the threat of KOs. I can't risk using King's Shield that turn and then my opponent ends up targeting Salamence -- which, being exactly what he ended up doing, makes my decision all the greater. I also can't be too afraid of him switching out Medicham -- he isn't likely to switch to anything else which is immune to Ghost and so I can count on Aegislash doing at least some good damage this turn. But the turn goes better than anticipated when:
  • I get a OHKO off against a Medicham who stays put
  • Yache Berry helps Salamence avoid being KOed by Lickilicky
  • Salamence gets in a Dragon Dance
And then comes Turn 6. My opponent chooses to call Lickilicky back for Gengar -- not a great move -- while I have Aegislash target Lickilicky's position with Iron Head and I have Salamence go for Machamp's jugular with a powered-up Dragon Claw. My dragon is able to shave off 75% of Machamp's HP ... and my ghost sword snags yet another OHKO. Salamence falls, but not before my opponent mutters a defeated "dio cane", which is apparently Italian for "God dog" and I guess means something along the lines of "son of a bitch" or "mother fucker" but with God squeezed in there instead? ^^; It's not a nice phrase, whatever it is.

Turn 7 is just me playing cautiously. I could've gone for another Shadow Sneak but I opted not to.

Turn 8 he forfeits, emotionally defeated as well as in no real position to win the game. Aegislash had been ordered to use Shadow Sneak against Machamp while Rotom-W had been ordered to fire off a second Discharge. With a completely healthy Talonflame still warming my team's bench, it was gg.
>Reads this
>Decides to go ladder some more
>First opponent is the same person you just faced

Well okay then
Squad Summary

Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #2397
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

It's anything goes until the very end of the last turn BD

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #2398
Talon87
時の彼方へ

First Random Battle in months. (Random Battle, 37 turns)

It felt like stepping off of an airplane and arriving back home after a month-long vacation somewhere else. Like, that's not just me using flowery language: I actually mean that the sensation I experienced during the battle was similar to that feeling! ^^; It was very strange. Things felt familiar yet different, certain yet uncertain. I felt like I'd forgotten so much yet really I hadn't forgotten too too much. (I had forgotten some very, very few things though, which did disappoint me. :\ For example, I was confident that a Landorus-I in RandBats would not have had a base speed higher than a Porygon-Z at 183, but I was wrong.) In the end ...

... I pulled through 3-0 and cost a guy his spot in the 1700s. ^^; My score has apparently decayed a lot since I last played -- while I had been in the 1700s myself previously on all three accounts, I apparently had fallen to the mid-1500s on Zuisho through ladder decay by the time I took up this match. Makes sense given how long I've been away from the format.

I was really astonished though by how weak his Dunsparce was. I remember Dunsparce being not such a bad little Pokémon when I last played with one in Random Battle. Yet this guy's Dunsparce was doing shit damage before the burn and shit shit damage after the burn. It was ridiculous. Too lazy to confirm, but iirc my Leftovers healed me back more life than he was able to take away from me on some turns. Crazy.

I was also astonished by the fact that he only ever had Dunsparce use Roost once. Three turns in a row I expected him to use Roost so that Dunsparce wouldn't die. And three turns in a row he did not. When I finally did get to attack him, that did him in. Crazy. And stupid. How did someone like this get past 1700!?

Given how disoriented I felt during the game, I'll probably not play another Random Battle game any time soon. Probably not until I reach my goal in VGC (whatever that may be) or until I formally decide to give up on VGC and go back to Random Battle and/or OU.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #2399
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

While I'm nowhere near as good as Talon, Daisy and the many others who rank highly in the Randbats, I had a rather nice match up today.

Lightning revival!

Well, what to say. I got greedy with the predictions which lost me my Rayquaza. That can also be said about my Deoxys-D. To be honest, I thought I was going to lose. Thankfully though, he missed a few attacks which gave me enough time to set up and finish off Dragonite and Typhlosion with my Raikou.

EDIT: Iron Determination and Shining Foxes!

It's always nice to meet a polite battler, and not only that, they were lucky enough to have a shiny Delphox in their team! I made the silly play of Tricking a Scarf onto a Grumpig with Shadow Ball which basically wiped out a chunk of my team. And then Cobalion saved the day with SubDance IRON HEAD OF JUSTICE! And Close Combat to boot the Cloyster. XD

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.

Last edited by KamenAeons; 06-22-2014 at 01:40 AM.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #2400
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

So I just had a horrid losing streak in VGC pushing me from 1450s to 1200s. There goes my self esteem Dx
Squad Summary

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON