UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

big bad birtha's suggestion box

Well, I always thought this was a great addition to the anime place, so imma gonna put it here. As you know, drop an anime that you want everyone to see in here, and you will watch it and enjoy it. I gurantee that your nipples will lactate in excitement after watching the great suggestions by me if you have not watched anyway.

Utawarerumono- This is wonderful. I strongly recommend it for Inuyasha fans who want something less repetitive and umm.....better. It is about a dude named Hakuro who loses his memory, and he is in the care of this girl named Eruruu. He later becomes this emporer and other things happen. I might spit out a spoiler if I continue.....

Akagi- This is freaking badass. I am a little disappointed that it only has like 5 matches. If you want a strong dose of GAR, then this is the anime for joo. It is about a genius who plays a Chinese game called Majhong. The main character is insane, and that is pretty much the whole appeal to it. EDIT: Changed Japanese to Chinese. Thanks McSweeny.

Kanon 2006- Aww....so kawaii!!!! I have not seen much of it, but I am satisfied so far. It is about this guy who starts to live in his cousin's house, which he visited earlier as a child. He meets a bunch of girls who met him years earlier. I don't know much more than that. EDIT: I am on episode 10 and all I have to say is ;_;.... poor Makoto........

There are more I will put on later. I don't quite feel like it now......
Old 03-23-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box

lol, you learned about Akagi and Kanon from us. Why are you recommending them for us to watch when we (Mcsweeney, Doppel, and I) are the only ones who post here regularly? ^_^;

Utawarerumono ... still need to look into that and Higurashi and Ouran. So many Summer 2006 animes I still haven't seen. I suppose it's a "good thing" that Spring 2007 looks like such a shitty season with no good shows. (No Haruhi like last spring, no School Rumble 2 like last spring, no Fate / Stay Night like last spring ...) We're gonna have to wait until the summer before we get to the good stuff, I guess.

Though I am excited about Princess Resurrection (or whatever it's called ... the one about the princess of the dead who wields a chainsaw).
Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
Lone_Wolf
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Lone_Wolf Send a message via MSN to Lone_Wolf

I'm gona have to try to check them out they seem very interesting!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Dude! Those were what I was currently watching, and besides, some person might come by and look at my suggestion box and be like "Hey, that sounds like it will make me cream my pants." I mean, look at the douchebag who replied after joo. Anyway, more suggestions from the great big bad birtha!!!

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: If you have not....get joor ass on youtube and watch it! I don't care who you are, you must watch it!

Giant Angry Robots : This is another anime parody by MatthewFish on youtube. 'Tis very crude in humor, but still very funny. It's about these four people who fight in a war in a very angry robot. The characters are a homeless guy, a gay dude, a racist cop, and a retarded racecar driver. The best character is the retarded racecar driver. She is always spitting out random comments like "Have you ever farted and got hungry?"

Azumanga Daioh: This is excellent. 'Tis about some high school girls going through high school. My fav. is this girl named Ayumi something (everyone calls her Osaka), and this creepy teacher dude. It's a very amusing little show.

Pita Ten: 'Tis a pretty good little lighthearted show about this angel girl with this strange attachment to this little boy who lost his mother. If you want something a little more sugarcoated, this is a great anime to watch. The last few episodes will bring you to tears though......

I think I will put some anime I want to watch and you could tell me if they are worth my time....
Shakugan No Shana (Loki made a topic about it, so imma gonna check it out, most likely after I finish Kanon2006)
Cardcaptor Sakura (so freaking long, I might not even have the time ;_; )
Chobits (thumbs up by Suigin)
Sister Princess
Happy Lesson
Galaxy Angel
Samurai 7 (Suigin dissed jo ass)
Naruto (135- whenever)
Full Metal Panic (mostly FUMOFUU)
Kadomo no Omocha (there's a topic about this so I most likely will)
Fruits Basket (I know it ends REALLY early, and does not conclude itself, so I might not bother)
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
School Rumble (Suigin reccomends)
DNAngel
Strawberry Panic (this was suggested to me so I'll watch this anyway)
Cromartie High School (I've already seen a couple of these episodes, so imma going to watch this anyway)
Star Ocean EX
Love Hina
Urusei Yatsura
Ranma 1/2
Hare + Guu
Strawberry Marshmellow
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
Elemental Gelad
Genshiken
Tenchi Muyo
Code Geass (this seems real good. Besides, one of Suigin's avatars was from this)
Rumbling Hearts
Green Green
more coming up soon ^o^

EDIT: Put more in the list of things.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
McSweeney
Soul Badge

And Mahjong is Chinese, not Japanese!

As for my own suggestions that I haven't already suggested in the past, I'm still trying to find that diamond in the rough. Recommending something like Death Note would not only be too obvious, but not entirely true.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I highly recommend Chobits.
I recommend School Rumble.
I neither recommend nor "disrecommend" Card Captor Sakura and Fruits Basket (decent start, horrible ending ... in both cases!).
I "disrecommend" Samurai 7.

The rest on your list, I've not seen (enough of, or at all).
Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

If you haven't...

WATCH SUZUMIYA HARUHI NO YUUUTSU NOW. ANYONE! ALL OF YOU! REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU ARE. IF YOU'VE ALREADY SEEN IT, WATCH IT AGAIN.

*foams at mouth*

And Ouran Host Club is pretty good too.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 03-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
McSweeney
Soul Badge

birtha, if you liked Kanon you should watch Air. I liked it even better. Nobody here wanted to watch it though! YOU'VE GOTTA BE MY GUY, BIRTHA!

I haven't seen anything on that list of yours all the way through. I did see some of Shana, but I disliked it. Hot character though.

I'm going to watch Ouran High School Host Club soon because apparently it can bring on the funny.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi
WATCH HARUHI
Who do you think you are, huh? :P
*arrogantly posts pictures from Summer 2006*
Did you print off the first three novels in May 2006?
Did you purchase Books 1-8 in August 2006?
Did you make a (still crappy; gotta work on that) website about Haruhi?

I didn't think so. :P ;)

On a more serious note, I'm not a big drooley Haruhi-ist and can't tolerate most of those people, but I certainly am a "Haruhi-ist" in the sense that last summer I could not shut up about it and, no matter what complaints Loki, Mcsweeney, or Doppel voiced, I found the show to be amazing except for two of the "filler" episodes. (PC President Goes Missing, bleh. And Kyon goes to buy a heater, bleh.)

If you can read Japanese, let me know and I'll see if I can't work something out to let you sample Book 1 and see if you'd like to buy the books. Or, you can always ignore me and go torrent all eight yourself. But I'd advise supporting this author and his franchise if you can.

Jerichi, please remember to come here and post when Haruhi S2 broadcasts this fall. And be sure to invite other people from FB who you know to like the series, too. (Can include SPPf and BMG members, of course!)
Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm pretty sure I complained about it the least out of everyone! Actually, I even remember you calling the Day of Sagittarius episode "filler". Man, who cares if it was, it kicked ass!

That's just like how people complained about filler in Pokemon back in the day. Some of the best episodes of all time were filler!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) that episode. But indeed, not as much as some people.

I thought you complained the most. XD Funny how the memory plays tricks on the mind. I know I wasn't the most pessimistic, that's for sure, because Loki nitpicked a few things, Lindz trolled, and Doppel betrayed us for half the season. XP "This show has gotten dull, I'm done. ................ Ooh! It's gotten popular again! I'll watch it! "
Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Man, your memory is really weird. I honestly don't think I dispensed a single complaint. I was constantly defending it in the early days too when you and Lindz thought it sucked. This is just like when you said I claimed Akagi was possessed by a dark spirit!

Speaking of which, aren't you ever going to watch those last two episodes? It'll be one year from now, and you'll decide to finally finish her off, and Washizu will do something looney and you'll be like, "Huh? Oh, yeah. That guy."

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've got three left: 22, 23, and 24.

And I only ever, ever disliked Episode 1. Remember? (Apparently not. :p) You introduced me to the series the day that Episode 2 was fansubbed by a.f.k., so I went to the lab and downloaded both. I watched Episode 1 and thought it was sort of crappy (although man "that bunny costume girl sure is hot! and man was the talking cat interesting!"), but I chugged along to Episode 2 and was amazed + relieved that it was so different from Episode 1, plus it confirmed the very thing I'd come to expect by the end of Episode 1, i.e. that the movie was lampooning real character traits of the cast we were about to meet.

If you had introduced it to me two days sooner, I might have dropped it and not looked back. Episode 1 was horribly misleading, and (for people like me) it was thankfully the only episode of its kind. I feel bad for the people who saw and worshipped Episode 1, because most of them ended up becoming the anti-Haruhi trolls on 4chan and similar imageboards you see today. They got royally shafted. Too bad their tastes suck. :p
Old 03-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #14
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Actually, I do remember saying "Someday in the Rain" was really weird and not a very good episode. But everybody else thought that too. I kept waiting for them to spring a surprise, and it never came.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I blame it on the awful camera angles and even worse audio. Remember the scene where Yuki is just sitting there, reading a book, while we can barely hear a conversation going on in the classroom next door? The scene was so confusing that even a.f.k. was at a loss for what to do, so they decided to translate the words barely decipherable from next door! (It was some reading game thing. I remember they said "something, something, something, Ra Ri Ru Re Ro! Something, something, something, Ka Ki Ku Ke Ko!") That scene stands out in my mind as one of the worst ever in the show. Unless I was missing something, all it was good for was showing us that Yuki is oblivious to the world around her when she chooses to be ... which is hardly something new by the point in the series Episode H14 aired.

The one thing the episode might be said to have been good for was the silly fanservice of Haruhi making the very face which adorns the cover of Book 6, the book from which the chapter was taken. Still ... it was an overall waste of an episode.

Wait, so Mcsweeney ... does this mean you [b]don't[/i] have an issue with the episode where the PC Club president goes missing? I thought that was pretty weak, too. An uninteresting girl (with pea green hair). Really flashily awful CG (in the form of that giant cicada). The whole "omg Haruhi's design is a virus!" conspiracy was a little dumb. What I liked about this episode was Kyon's curiousity about how Yuki might have staged the whole thing because she was bored.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #16
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I thought it was all right, although you're right it's in the lower echelon of episodes. As I recall, some amusing stuff happened (although I can't remember exactly what!). I guess the second worst episode after Someday in the Rain is the one where Kyon and Itsuki sit and talk in a taxi cab for the whole episode. There were good parts to that episode too, though. The old guy at the beginning was funny, and Haruhi talking about how small and insignificant she felt was so aww ;_;

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Episode 10 is clearly the best. SO GOOD SO GOOD.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 10 is clearly the best ... perhaps. There's so many "tied for first" episodes ... but yes, that one ALWAYS comes to mind first when I think of which Haruhi episode was best. I don't know if I've ever had another thought pop up before that one ... with Asakura swinging the knife as Yuki BUSTS THROUGH THE WALL ... man. :mrgeen:

Saying Episode 13 "had its moments" is something of an understatement. Like, the entire last 7 or so minutes.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The baseball episode is great too, especially if you like baseball. Maybe that's why you didn't like Day of Sagittarius as much as some people, because you don't play strategy war games much?

Hey I just thought of something! Day of Sagittarius isn't filler because that's how Haruhi won all the laptop computers for the club!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

*checks out Air* Yesh, I will watch Air. It DOES have the same original character designer that Kanon has, and probably a similar story and everything else, and since I can start watching anime in my first period, I will have plenty of time.

In Haruhi, my fav. episode is when they start making the film. Mikuru's opening theme was downright wonderful XD.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #21
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I remember when all there was was the first episode. I rewatched that opening theme song so many times. Same with the dancing at the end. I couldn't believe that shit. I literally must have watched that a thousand times.

Then the second episode came out, featuring the dancing in FULL SCREEN and the excitement began anew!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

I'm late to the part this time, but I'll just chip in with a nomination for Zero no Tsukaima. It's generic, but the 'sexuality' is genuine (this is tough to explain, but easy to understand when watching). ZnK really needs pre-req shows along the lines of Shana, Ouran, FSN, Haruhi, Pokemon and host of other stuff, but it's good by itself.

Can't think of any other shows I've seen recently that are good. Geass has some funny in it, but it's an amalgam of a lot of different stuff.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Funny, I was sort of feeling the same way. I mean, Kanon was very good and all ... but it was essentially my second time watching it. And the show relies so heavily on mystery for its "thrill factor" that I found myself a lot more bored with it than many other people. Objectively, I can give the show a silver rating, but subjectively ... I feel like I've been disappointed by FSN, Akagi, Kanon, Geass, Shakugan no Shana, One Litre of Tears, and Hana Yori Dango 2. I feel like I haven't seen a good anime or J-drama in ages. Something like Haruhi or Hana Yori Dango 1.

Disclaimer: only seen Ep 1 and part of Ep 2 for Shana, but got bored enough to not even finish Ep 2 ... will work on that
Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

In retrospect, Haruhi wasn't everything I initially thought it to be; after reading all the novels, all I can do is *groan* since some bits seem so cheesy and development seems very, very slow (such that, outside of Kyon's first year in the SOS Brigade everything following feels like filler). Yet, since Haruhi was basically an oasis with fresh water in the middle of a desert made of cheap anime, it should get some bonus points.

I'm not pleased with the "viral marketing" anymore, though.

@ Talon & bbb: Mystery isn't something I'm big on, which is why I spoil myself silly; enjoyment is boosted for me when I anticipate something and it happens, with a little surprise to sweeten the deal (if the surprise is positive). Hence, why I was so disappointed with FSN; I expected much but ended up with little payoff. Since I've done that with Geass I've been largely satisfied, though irritated with the nasty turn the series took during that 12~22 stretch.

My attraction to Shana was the atmosphere, though, which is what I said to Loki earlier. Yuuji is such a bland character, Shana and Yoshida almost total tsundere/moe stereotypes, respectively, those two loser dudes who wanted to shag Margery Dow were awesome but rarely used. And Hayate, oh boy.

ZnK was great because of the stock/Shana parodies. I'm sure "Hayate the Combat Butler" will be the same but with higher production values.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

If you know everything about a show though, then most of the emotional force it puts on you will be taken away. I used be really impatient and I had to know what happened as soon as possible, but after watching a few things being completely oblivious to what is going to happen, I just can't stand being spoiled. As for an example of something I have watched recently other than Kanon, I will have to think for a bit. Akagi and Utawarerumono were great, but OMG were they predictable. However, what I am currently watching is probably going to destroy my emotions ;_; which takes me to my next suggestion.

Air- Very very similar to Kanon, but still very good. It is about this dude who goes to this town and he is discovered by this allegedly wierd, but very cute girl. He starts to live with her and her aunt, since he doesn't have a home or any way of making money. There three different girls that have this dream of flying, while he happens to want to find a girl flying beyond the clouds. The three girls also have very sad stories. If you want to know them though, joo better watch. One very amusing thing about this is the comments people posted about this on Youtube. They keep calling it confusing, when it is not difficult at all to follow. Also, if you look closely enough, you will also see some cameos from Kanon, like in episode 2, Ayu, Nayuki, and Makoto make a slight appearance. Also in episode 4, young Yuuichi and Ayu show up. I am only on episode 6, so I'm not fully sure about what it will do, but the dude who subbed it recommended some tissues. McSweeny recommended it to me, and I am recommending it to everyone. If this really has the Kanon effect on me, I won't be able to talk about raging orgasms or lactating nipples anytime soon.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime