UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Mercutio
Banned

Machamp Exercise (Physical and Mental)

So does anyone here go to a gym or engage in other regular physical exercise? How about structured mental exercise such as meditation?

I've recently picked up the rate at which I go to the gym, it now being about three times a week for 90 minute sessions (gotta get me that Cascade Badge, man). A lot of that's hard cardio because I'm looking to lose puppy fat and get back some selmblence of muscle but since what my body actually needs is to tone up as opposed to shrink I'm weaning myself on to weights and more demanding activity.

Mentally, I want to pick up meditation and some exercises that can be done on public transport but don't really know where to start.

Anyone else on the ol' self improvement drive?
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I put on about 10 kg in the past year (from 60 to just shy of 70 - that's from about 130 pounds to 150 pounds to you Americans), a lot of which is sadly fat (not all, as I've taken up climbing and lifting my own body weight has become easier over the course of the year despite there being more of it). Am also intending to use the summer to trim off excess fat. I'm a fairly healthy weight for my age and size so I'm not looking to lose too much (no intention of going down as far as my old weight, some of the gain is muscle after all). Essentially I've noticed that while I've got stronger, my general fitness has got worse. I tire easier from running around etc, and I've got a bit more flabby which is sadface inducing.

On the other hand, I am awfully lazy so how much I'll actually manage to get done is doubtful.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

I've noticed the opposite trend; I am now able to lift weights which are less heavy than I could last year, but I'm much fitter so can run or do other things for longer.

Also I have noticed more baleful looks from the ladies, which is nice.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
BPK's been PTing me for about 2 months now. I'm still fat, but it looks like I'm meeting my muscle goals. It's definitely easier for me to gain muscle than it is for me to lose fat, my genes tell me I'm no skinny fellow.

Nothing's visible except my speed. I am fudge fast now. I've always been quick, but I'm not able to run a mile (uphill!) in 5.5 minutes, when for most of my life 6.0 has always been my top speed. And I'm not even winded finishing (although going harder/faster than that is much tougher). I'd like to break five minutes sometime soon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I am Dave, I am fat like bear!

In all seriousness, while I am distinctly heavy-set, I have a pretty active job to keep it in check that involves hefting boxes full of shopping about all day long. I top that up with an hour of Octopush on Sunday nights and an hour of Karate on Monday nights, provided they don't clash with my shifts.

I tried the Gym but seriously fuck that.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
I tried the Gym but seriously fuck that.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I gained about 5 pounds over the winter, unfortunately it's almost all gathered at my stomach. I'm still pretty slender, but I'm out of shape. Which is kind of weird.

I don't go to the gym, but I have free weights at home. I set about an hour or two every Mon, Weds, and Fri for working out... except I usually don't. =x General laziness being the largest factor.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I just can't be arsed. But when I was, I went about 3 times a week for 45 minutes and looked pretty decent. I'll try again when I go back to school next fall.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

I meditate every now and then, but thats about it when it comes to anything of the sort. I used to do excercises every morning and every night but I kinda stopped after a fortnight of recovery after Reading Festival last year. I have a home gym and a crosstrainer but I don't use them often.

I only really medidate because of Anxiety though. Rather than actually making me do things better or give me motivation or anything, I do it mainly to get myself through the week. But it does very much help since I refuse any form of pill-based medication.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
i've been shedding some pounds recently, and most of it is from body weight exercises. I'll do some rowing (about 10 mins), some sit-ups, squats, lunges, push-ups, planks, forearm curls, and stretches before i eat breakfast and a bit after i eat dinner. i don't have anything close to a hot sexy bod, but now i don't feel like my lungs are burning into crisps when i run up a flight of stairs.

i don't really know if this counts as mental exercise, but sometimes i'll do some mental music practice, and related to that, i'm trying to do more "focused" practice when i play (thinking note names, distances, chords, counting, tone quality, etc. instead of letting my mind wander).
Old 07-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Why do exercises when you can just limit calorie intake lrn2dietnewbs
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Mercutio
Banned

There's more to health and fitness than what you eat, regrettably.

This said, I am at Mum's for a few days and her accurate bathroom scales tell me I've lost 10 pounds in about a month and a half. This is mostly eating less, have only been to the gym about a dozen times over this period.

Last edited by Mercutio; 07-04-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Sneaze
Mrow?

I used to go to the gym a good 5 times a week for anywhere from an hour to 90 minutes, and was in amazing shape at 150 pounds, with very little of it being excess body fat. Sadly having moved away from the gym, I do not go there very frequently and over the past year have slipt up to about 190 pounds, with most of the weight gain being fat. >.<; Luckily I'll be moving back near the gym soon enough and will be able to pick up again, probably just needing to burn off the fat and be fairly close to where I was on the whole toning muscle thing I was trying to do.

Sadly working at a restaurant where I get an entire free pizza every shift does not help. If their salads were more filling I'd probably still be fit.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

I recently started going back to the gym again and have been motivating myself to go quite frequently as opposed to the last time I had a membership. Most of that motivation is basically "I don't want to gain any more weight". I tried a calorie reduction diet last year and surprisingly managed to lose 7 lbs in two weeks (3 kg) because basically I barely ate anything except salads and yogurt.

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and found out I've gained back that 7 plus another 6 lbs on top of it in just a year (to a total of... 210 lbs) and I noped the hell over to the gym and have been going several times a week since.

I've changed my diet, too. I already didn't drink much soda, but now I'm pretty much only drinking water, and I've even thrown a glass of milk every two or three days into the mix. Two cans of V8 every day, too. The past two weeks now I've barely eaten anything but vegetables. Even the burger I had the other day was a veggie burger, and any meat I have had, which hasn't been much, has been turkey based or chicken. For instance, yesterday's meals were yogurt, rice, and pita bread and hummus/cucumber/feta cheese mix.

I'm trying to stay on that track pretty much. Oh, I did lie a little as I went out for Taco Bell last Saturday, but one day out of the rest of the week isn't going to kill me.

I'm also considering trying out MyFitnessPal again. Was a really nice little app, and the calorie counter really helped me restrict my eating or change my mind on what I would have eaten instead. Maybe UPNers can friend each other on MyFitnessPal and motivate each other to stay in shape? Just an idea.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Deo, have you ever heard of Fitocracy?

Also, that weight loss you had last year was probably just water weight, I feel your pain bro ;;
Old 07-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

I haven't, but I'm looking at it now and I'm a little confused. Care to explain for a layman like me?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

It basically gamifies exercise. You gain experience points for every workout that you enter, and you gradually level up over time as you do exercises. There are also challenges you can do, and social groups,etc. that you can join on the site to help you get a support system for working out. It's an easy way to keep track of how often you work out, and provides a tangible way for you to see progress via the leveling up.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
deoxys
Fog Badge

I like the sound of it, that sounds like a good motivator. I'll look into it, thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Yeah no problem, hope it helps!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

So given pretty much all my exercise this past year has been climbing, which is great for building strength but will never get you out of breath, my aerobic fitness has gone to shit. Decided to do NHS couch to 5k thing. It's a podcast so listening to it on the ipod a I go. Slowly builds you up over 9 weeks from complete couch potato to being able to run 5k in three sessions a week, is the idea. Went out for the first time today, the week one sessions break down like this; 5 minutes brisk walk, then alternate 60 seconds running with 90 seconds brisk walk for twenty minutes, end on five minutes brisk walk. Did about 4.5k.

Had not appreciated just how unfit I am until now. I do need to find somewhere else to run though - don't much fancy all the hills around here and going up and down the one 2k long straight bit will get boring fast.

Last edited by Concept; 08-01-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Can't convert from miles to km apparently.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Char
Banned

Both are important things I should be doing.

But not now...:'(
Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Went again. Same route/time/distance/etc, but recovery felt a lot easier this time and generally much less out of breath/lead legs. Hope for me yet perhaps. Going again on Saturday. Also started doing another NHS podcast, the five week Strength and Flexibility. By comparison it's piss easy (probably because my entirely climbing-based exercise for the last year helps there but does sod all for aerobics), but I'm hoping it'll be enough to stop me losing too much muscle whilst trying to drop fat (and in the absence of a half decent climbing wall anywhere near me while not at uni.).

I am keeping you people up to date even though you give no shits in the hopes it motivates me to keep going.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Mercutio
Banned

Nah that's great man. Keep it up. When I move at the end of the month I'm going to try and find some kind of class e.g. self defence that forces me to get fit else I'll get punched in the face.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I'm being somewhat nerdy about my exercise: Wii Fit Plus. ^^; I also have a job as a cleaner which is currently forcing me to walk around, lift stuff and move around heavy equipment three hours a day, five days a week. Hopefully that'll add to my fitness levels.

Walking +5
Arm muscles +2

Wish I could get a Level Up jingle! :3
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #25
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Here!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc