UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Remember11 Discussion Thread

Let's party like it's Summer 2007, lady and gentlemen! Let's play Remember11 and discuss our experiences, thoughts, theories, and so much more!

Title Screen Movie
(unlocked after completing the Prologue)

Plot Premise: (courtesy of the Visual Novel Database)
Fuyukawa Kokoro, a third-year sociology major, boards a plane bound for Hokkaido to meet a research subject in the Specified Psychiatric Hospital for Isolation and Aegis, or SPHIA. For unknown reasons, her plane crashes in the mountains in the middle of a snowstorm. Of the 31 passengers, only she, Yuni Kusuda, Seiji Yomogi, and Lin Mayuzumi survive unharmed. Unable to establish communication with the outside world due to the fierce snowstorm, the four decide to take shelter in an empty cabin and wait until the storm passes.

As if the trauma, freezing temperature and debilitating hunger weren't enough, the survivors must deal with something even more frustrating. A newspaper is found in the cottage dated July 4, 2011 - well off in the future. The paper claims that the survivors of the crash, save Yuni, will die in an avalanche in seven days.

Satoru Yukidoh, a graduate student in the field of quantum physics, falls from the SPHIA clock tower. He later awakens with some memory loss and the realization that someone is out to kill him. Unable to leave the SPHIA facility due to a snowstorm, Satoru's only chance at living is to find that person among the three other residents (or perhaps the hidden culprit) of SPHIA.

Both Kokoro and Satoru soon realize that, their "consciousnesses" are experiencing a kind of exchange, in which Kokoro's mind takes control of Satoru's body in SPHIA as Satoru's mind enters Kokoro's body in the mountain cabin.

However, a boy named Yuni Kusuda appears at both locations. How is this possible?

Translation Patch:
Download it here! (Scroll down to "Downloads" and select your mirror of choice.)

Sample Images: (click the thumbnails for larger resolution pictures)

Promotional Art:

Character Screencaps:

I will edit this post later to copy & paste in other useful information. But for now ... I guess this is it! Let's go!

Last edited by Talon87; 10-16-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Hear that? It's the sound of µtorrent, leeching its micro heart out.

I'm just glad I took today off and got all my work done.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I dunno if anyone's started or not, but I'll fire off a question. What's the song Kokoro is singing at the beginning? I've heard it several times, and it's the same tune as Tewi's (Touhou) theme song. Is it an old child's song or something?
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

25.2%. This'll likely be done by tomorrow afternoon, I'm going sleep right now. It's been a long, painful day.

I'm also not reading that summary! I know it is sort of like Haruhi's Snow Mountain Syndrome event, but that's all I know!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Bad news, guys. It seems like the translation team was losing patience and rushed the patch.

This is all revealed by reading this discussions in the TLWiki. After working on the project for 2˝ years, certain key members of the staff wanted to see the fruits of their labors realized. And so it was put to a vote whether their fourth beta patch (codenamed CR4) should be posted on the main page as the v.1.0 English patch or not. Only four hours after putting the matter to a vote, it was hastily decided that no one objected and therefore they should press on, full steam ahead!

And unfortunately, the patch is a far cry from anywhere near perfect. Granted: the corporate English translation of Ever17 was not without its fair share of amateur mistakes. (My most hated one being the glitch on Kid's path where every time the dialogue was to have said "you" it mistook it for the character label "You: " and generated a five-character wide error of "Kidou" ["Kid: " + "you"].) But that doesn't excuse a hastily-released patch either. The list of problems encountered by users include:
  • not being able to load the game without the DVD in the tray
    • On my system, the error does not occur. Test tries: 1.
  • the game crashing on certain lines which have typographic translation errors
  • character display mismatch between the amount of characters in the character string and the integer value specified for that character string (e.g. a line has 32 characters but the editing team said that that line had only 31 characters), which results in erroneous output. (See the top-right. It should end with "Youth" but doesn't.)
  • The game generates a terrible sound if you mess with the menu too much.
    • This may happen only on my system. The experience is identical to what happens to me whenever I pause MPlayer and then unpause it. So it may be my audio card, audio configuration, etc.

This news wouldn't be the end of the world, but it gets worse: in order to install future English patches, you'll have to completely uninstall Remember11 and then re-install it. This is terrible. It means that you'll lose all of your hard work the moment you decide that you want to upgrade to the next available English patch. Hopefully, maaaaaaybe there'll be a way around this? Like copying and pasting some .sav files to a temporary directory and then moving them back over once the re-installation is complete? But otherwise, UGH. -_-;

I'll still probably continue to test this one out. But it will be interesting to see how events unfold on the TLWiki over the next few days.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER ANY PROBLEMS, PLEASE REPORT THEM ON THE TLWIKI HERE: http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php...1:ErrorReports . Please be sure to leave your username (if applicable) and date of posting behind. Some people have not done this and it makes it pretty chaotic for trying to figure out who said what when.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
cloudscream
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
not being able to load the game without the DVD in the tray
The game won't load if you have missing and overwritten installation files caused by using previous unstable beta patches and release candidates. It is highly recommended to install the patch on a clean install of R11.

Quote:
the game crashing on certain lines which have typographic translation errors
Crashes of the game are due to the conflict between DirectVobSub and the movie files. This is a bug either from the game, DirectVobSub, or WMV9. Btw, please report any typos to the error report page.

Quote:
character display mismatch between the amount of characters in the character string and the integer value specified for that character string (e.g. a line has 32 characters but the editing team said that that line had only 31 characters), which results in erroneous output. (See the top-right. It should end with "Youth" but doesn't.)
This an error on our part, though I think this is very minor. But still, it will be fixed very soon.

Quote:
This news wouldn't be the end of the world, but it gets worse: in order to install future English patches, you'll have to completely uninstall Remember11 and then re-install it. This is terrible. It means that you'll lose all of your hard work the moment you decide that you want to upgrade to the next available English patch. Hopefully, maaaaaaybe there'll be a way around this? Like copying and pasting some .sav files to a temporary directory and then moving them back over once the re-installation is complete? But otherwise, UGH. -_-;
Don't worry, save files are saved in a separate location (in WInXP, it's in <C:\Documents and Settings\<your username\Application Data\REMEMBER11>), so this will be untouched even if you uninstall the game. You can try this by uninstalling the game; when you reinstall it, your saves are still intact.

Nonetheless, thank you very much for your post!

Last edited by cloudscream; 10-12-2010 at 11:43 AM.
cloudscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

And thank you for translating this for us! The above post of mine may sound very ungrateful in the absence of such thanks, but believe me: they are there! I'm the sort of guy that feels "better late than never, but better late and great than sooner and good." That's where the sentiment from the above post comes from. And so while I could (and had been for many months now! ) waited a bit longer for the project to finish and be more polished, I am very grateful that you guys worked on this at all.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hmm. Found some errors. Will probably be posting about them on the TLWiki unless someone beat me to it.

(Not a spoiler. Using tag to condense text.)
Spoiler: show
(1) All of Yukito Yukido's dialogue has the first person pronoun "I" inappropriately in italics. Unless I'm supposed to believe that he genuinely stresses words like 俺 or 僕 or 私 every single time he speaks them.

(2) A simple typo I just found. See image here. It says "how you far you" instead of "how far you."

There are also some questionable translational choices, but nothing erroneous so I won't bring these up on the TLWiki. One that stood out was when Kokoro said 失礼ね!ちゃんとしたわよ!(shitsurei ne! chanto shita wa yo!) This says "How rude! I'll have you know I properly did!" That sounds a little awkward in American English, but all you'd need to do would be to drop the ちゃんと ("properly") and leave it be. Or you could slightly modify what she said and make it "How rude! I did too!" or "I did so!", etc. Instead, the translator offered a GINORMOUS translation instead. It's not wrong per se ... but it introduces a lot of words that Kokoro technically did not say. And for a game as psychologically ambiguous as Remember11, I think the last thing we'd want to do is to have Kokoro saying things which lead players to incorrectly assume certain things about her conscious state of mind. But whatever. Like I said, this is small stuff.

EDIT: Suggestions made. Username is Talon87.

BBB, I didn't recognize the song at all. I have no idea if it's a real song or if it was made up for this game. It sounds like it's supposed to be real. Let me look for it ...

Found it: click here for Wikipedia's article "Kagome Kagome".

Hmm. I guess I shouldn't have had Kokoro say that she sang it differently as a child. Whoops. Guess this is what I get for playing a game which caters to native Japanese when I'm not one myself.

Well that was fast.

cloudscream's already struck out my italics complaint and said it's not an error. I'd like to know why it's not an error, but for now I'll have to operate on good faith. (Why the hell would someone speak with emphasis placed on the first person pronoun "I" in every single one of their utterances? O_o And how come the TL team reached this conclusion despite the absence of such first person emphasis in the original Japanese text?) But since cloudscream was polite enough to sign up on our board and talk to us, I'm going to put faith in his verdict for now. He's got to have a reason for this.

Okay, fourth edit to the post. Somebody else post! Anyway, I've made it to the opening movie file.

Last edited by Talon87; 10-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I can't even download this...BBB what torrent are you using? I got one off of HF, but it's stuck at 25.2% because there are no seeds.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I didn't torrent it. I DDLed it about a week ago. I can PM you the link if you want it.

I'll go ahead and put up my status in the game. I gotta go to work, so umm....yeah.

My overall progress is about 17%.

I'm at the point where
Kokoro and Satorou start communicating with each other and have found out the situation between the two. The only thing that really bugs me so far is how they managed to get their hands on the newspaper. It's not the contents that bug me, just how in the world they managed to get it. I believe I'm too early on to really make any conclusions about the rest of the problems that are being tossed at me. So basically, I'm still in the question phase.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 10-12-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Can you PM me the link too please?
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I didn't torrent it. I DDLed it about a week ago. I can PM you the link if you want it.
Sure.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Holy cow! This game is pretty exciting!

Inubushi Keiko is quite the cutie! Too bad she's a DID patient with
a serial killer as one of her personalities!
(safe to click if you've reached the institute)

I'm at the part where Kokoro has reached the log cabin and met the man, the woman, and the kid. (Names omitted so as to be vague.) How about you, BBB?

I'm now at the part where Kokoro's just seen two horrifying things: the newspaper and the bathroom surprise. Poor, poor Kokoro.

I'd freak out if I suddenly had a penis, too. Though I don't think I'd faint!

Last edited by Talon87; 10-12-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Did you get a bad end from the medicine choice?
I kinda saw an assassination attempt coming, so I thought it was best to not take sleeping medicine, so he could be alert and ready for attack.... Instead it gets me killed. The message of this story is, when an Indian lady gives you medicine, you take it!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm getting "Failed creating the Direct3D Drive". This is NOT my laptop, which has the running problems, but my desktop which sometimes has entirely different problems.

I downloaded Direct X 9.0 (again?) and am trying to see if my busted driver is interfering with the program.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Did you get a bad end from the medicine choice?
I kinda saw an assassination attempt coming, so I thought it was best to not take sleeping medicine, so he could be alert and ready for attack.... Instead it gets me killed. The message of this story is, when an Indian lady gives you medicine, you take it!
This hasn't happened to me. I chose ...
... to not take the medicine. I didn't want to read your spoiler once I saw that you'd made the same choice as me, but your spoiler was so short that my eyes read it before I could stop them. lol

So, having read it, I'll say this: no, I haven't died yet. But you made it much, much farther than I have, it sounds like. I only just reached the start of Day 2, and I think that's like 6% completion or something. You said earlier that you were at 17% completion. So I'm assuming you're well past the start of Day 2. So, maybe I too will die as you did. I dunno.

I do know that I'm worried for Yukidoh: 'cause when Kokoro last left his body, it seemed like someone was trying to murder him in the bathroom. (S/He kept going out into his bedroom, asking "Who's there!?", with no one responding. S/He searched high and low but found nobody. Returned to the bathroom. And suddenly the lights went off.)

But no, I haven't formally received notice of a game over yet or anything. And like you, I chose to not take the medicine: 'cause like you, I didn't trust Utsumi. Not after the conversation she'd had with us earlier about completing her mission and all that jazz.

Anyway, I've reached the start of Day 2. The game is getting really very good. According to BBB,
Kokoro and Yukidoh eventually communicate directly with one another
, and I haven't seen this happen yet. So he's much farther ahead than I am. But from where I'm sitting, the game's quite good! I can only hope it'll get better! And it looks like it will!

Also: Inubushi Keiko is still quite the cutie: but the tsundere in the log cabin is MEOOOOOOOOOW :3. Not her bitchy attitude, but her looks ... hoo boy!

Favorite character so far: Yomogi. I really like this guy. And his VA seems so familiar, too!
Least favorite character so far: Yuni. Specifically, SPHIA Yuni. But both Yunis annoy.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Umm (this is safe for about 15% progress I think.)
I didn't mean directly when I said they communicated. I meant leaving messages in the voice recorder and leaving notes.

Alright, I'm at the 36% mark. I'll give a status update, and guesses. (Safe at 30% progress)
I think I understand the situation more or less. Both Kokoro and Yukidoh made a point that Yukidoh's body is in 2012, and Kokoro's is in 2011. I think the Yuni in the log cabin is a time traveler of some kind, and he placed the Yuni of 2011 into SPHIA. There's still some things that are off, but I believe it might be an attempt from Yuni to save the plane crash survivors and to prevent the SPHIA from being massacred.

As for the person who's trying to kill Yukidoh, I don't think it's Inuboshi. It's just too obvious. I think it's Mrs. Cleo(it's too early for me to be able to remember all the names). If the person is someone not introduced, I throw Knox's 1st at this game! "It is forbidden for the culprit to be someone not introduced in the early part of the story."

Last edited by big bad birtha; 10-13-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Jesus Christ, BBB! You are racing to the finish line! I haven't played any since last night, so I'm still at the very start of Day 2! And Doppel! Poor ol' Doppel! We haven't even heard if he's gotten the damn thing installed yet!

Looks like BBB might be this game's guru just like Doppel was for Ever17. You hear that, Doppel? BBB's trying to usurp your position as the KID guru! You better get crackin'!

Speaking of getting cracking, L-O-L at the TLWiki Error Report page. Just look at how many times a typo or grammar correction's been submitted by --Talon87! Maybe I should make a user profile there so the red name turns blue instead. LOL if at this rate they're like "Honorary QCer: Talon87." Or, worse but still probably just as accurate, "Grammar Nazi: Talon87." -_-;
Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I finished the first chapter. Other than a freaking weird twist at the end, there hasn't been any new discoveries.

Next chapter goes into the other person's point of view! I look forward to this one, because the events at SPHIA are much more interesting to me. That, and Kokoro got annoying at times.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I loaded up my save file. And two minutes later, I was dead. Curse you, BBB!

I took your advice, went back to the last choice I had been given, and made the opposite choice. And I'm now looking at the end of Day 2. Yomogi just cleaned off his nice, Kokoro touched it with her oily fingers, and OHMYGODACIDFRACTALS! I quick saved and will load it back up momentarily.

Didn't check my percent completion, but -- LOL -- I still think I'm beneath 15%, meaning I still can't click on your spoiler boxes from yesterday! I want to discuss the game with you guys, but none of us is at the same spot. lol BBB's halfway done, I'm like a tenth of the way done, and Doppel still hasn't joined the party!

BBB, what did you think of Yuni's creepy shota line in the basement? O_o
"Want to test... whether I'm a child or not?" Cuh-REE-PEE! O_o; You're like, fucking 11 years old, dude. How the hell could you say something like this? This TOTALLY makes me think that Yuni is not all he seems to be. [/has suspicions that Yuni might very well be the serial killer] But we'll have to wait and see, I suppose.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #21
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
BBB, what did you think of Yuni's creepy shota line in the basement? O_o
"Want to test... whether I'm a child or not?" Cuh-REE-PEE! O_o; You're like, fucking 11 years old, dude. How the hell could you say something like this? This TOTALLY makes me think that Yuni is not all he seems to be. [/has suspicions that Yuni might very well be the serial killer] But we'll have to wait and see, I suppose.
I simply thought it was him acting mature. Yuni sometimes flaunted how he was mature for his age, so I didn't think anything of it. Have you noticed how the SPHIA Yuni acts more immature than the one in the cabin?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In response to you ...
No, I actually had thought that the Yuni in the cabin seemed to exhibit both extremes whereas the Yuni at SPHIA seemed to be stuck in between them. I felt like the Yuni at the cabin was capable of the most immaturity (like when he got into fights with Mayuzumi or when he would be all "Kokoro~n! Kokoron~n! ^-^") and that he was also capable of the most maturity (although all of this has been off-camera and has been done by Yuni whenever we haven't been able to see him doing it, e.g. when he talked to Yukidoh-inside-Kokoro about DID or when he rescued Yomogi and Mayuzumi in the blizzard). The Yuni at SPHIA hasn't really done anything remarkably childish or remarkably wise or grown-up. He's just sort of existed.

I get the feeling that SPHIA is in the future and that the cabin is in the past. I could be wrong about this, of course, but it's just a vague feeling.

I'm also wondering what the relationship is between Utsumi and Mayuzumi since they look sort of similar (sort of). Could just be a red herring or it could just be the fact that the character designs in Remember11 have a lot of overlap. (Like Kokoro's and Yuni's and Yukidoh's hairstyles.) Shrug.

EDIT: I'm 16% thru, it says. I just saw the scene with one girl, two men, and a newspaper. (Poor, poor Kokoro!)

Last edited by Talon87; 10-13-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #23
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Ohs, well I mostly asked because
the difference between the two kinda bugged me. The Yuni at SPHIA was in shock from the crash, yet he was in a safe (atleast as far as he knows) shelter. The Yuni in the cabin wasn't even phased and quickly and calmly found a shelter for the survivors. "Mature" probably wasn't the right word, I guess I meant calm and collected during an emergency.

EDIT:

(Safe for when you start chapter 2)
Eeeeeeh?! It seems Inuboshi talks freely with no problem in this chapter. I need to venture further to find out why. I have no clue why she can't talk when Kokoro is in Yukidoh's body.

I like this chapter much better than the first one. Kokoro spent too much time floundering around. That, and Yukidoh is much more intelligent.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 10-14-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #24
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

16% through, 30% through.

I can brag about being 25% through...the download. >.<

Actually I KID, it should be done by now on my laptop, but I gotta foot some man hours for lab work tomorrow. So tomorrow afternoon at latest before I get playing to this. I'll install it tonight though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #25
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Unable to resist, I ended up playing immediately once it loaded. PROCRASTINATION IS THE RULE OF LAW in my house!

Wow, January 11. It's several months from now...the opposite of when we played Ever17 which was several months earlier.

Even more wow, 2011? That's literally right around the corner!

OH SNAP IT'S 4:16 RIGHT NOW.

I ' M H E R E!

Oh man, I'm having so many EGO problems with this. I can't get into the characters with all this perspective swapping! I just keep saying to myself
I'm Blick Winkel, the hero of Ever17!
and it all falls flat. :O

Dudes, check it out! Kyumeikan Women's University - the same school You and Sara attended!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 10-14-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime