Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 07-13-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Teen birth rate hits record low (News).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Fewer high school students are having sex these days, and more are using condoms. The teen birth rate has hit a record low.

In 2005, 47 percent of high school students reported having sexual intercourse, down from 54 percent in 1991.

More young people are finishing high school, too, and more little kids are being read to, according to the latest government snapshot on the well-being of the nation's children. It's good news on a number of key wellness indicators, experts said of the report being released Friday.

"The implications for the population are quite positive in terms of their health and their well-being," said Edward Sondik, director of the National Center for Health Statistics. "The lower figure on teens having sex means the risk of sexually transmitted diseases is lower."

In 2005, 47 percent of high school students -- 6.7 million -- reported having had sexual intercourse, down from 54 percent in 1991. The rate of those who reported having had sex has remained the same since 2003.

Of those who had sex during a three-month period in 2005, 63 percent -- about 3 million -- used condoms. That's up from 46 percent in 1991.

The teen birth rate, the report said, was 21 per 1,000 young women ages 15-17 in 2005 -- an all-time low. It was down from 39 births per 1,000 teens in 1991.

"This is very good news," said Sondik. "Young teen mothers and their babies are at a greater risk of both immediate and long-term difficulties."

The birth rate in the 15-19 age group was 40 per 1,000 in 2005, also down sharply from the previous decade.

Education campaigns that started years ago are having a significant effect, said James Wagoner, president of Advocates for Youth, a Washington-based nonprofit group that focuses on prevention of teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

"I think the HIV/AIDS epidemic and the efforts in the '80s and '90s had a lot to do with that," Wagoner said of the improved numbers on teen sex, condoms and adolescent births.

"We need to encourage young teens to delay sexual initiation and we need to make sure they get all the information they need about condoms and birth control," he said.

The report was compiled from statistics and studies at 22 federal agencies, and covered 38 key indicators, including infant mortality, academic achievement rates and the number of children living in poverty.

Other highlights:

• The percentage of children covered by health insurance decreased slightly. In 2005, 89 percent of children had health insurance coverage at some point during the year, down from 90 percent the previous year.

• The percentage of low birthweight infants (born weighing less than 5 pounds, 8 ounces) increased. It was 8.2 percent in 2005, up from 8.1 percent in 2004.

• More youngsters are getting reading time. Sixty percent of children ages 3-5 (and not in kindergarten) were read to daily by a family member in 2005, up from 53 percent in 1993.

• The percentage of children who had at least one parent working year round and full-time increased to 78.3 percent in 2005, up from 77.6 percent the previous year.

• More young people are completing high school. In 2005, 88 percent of young adults had finished high school -- up from 84 percent in 1980.

The report was released by the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics -- a consortium of federal agencies that includes the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the Census Bureau and the Administration for Children and Families.
Source.

Best news I've heard all week. Now all we need to do is change the "big family" cultural ideal of Hispanic illegal immigrants and we can do something about American population.

/is overly optimistic.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

Re: Teen birth rate hits record low (News).

It's not just Hispanics who believe in big families, google "quiverfull movement"
Kasumi Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ah, are those the Hittites of Washington? One needs not worry too much about those folks since their ideals run counter-current to the progressive feminist climate of the US - they'll never gain enough clout to influence politics or cause and undue burden on the US' welfare system because of their affluent status.

The Hispanics are the problem, not because they themselves are bad folk but their children are not willing to work as hard as the parents so the welfare system supports both. Same idea goes with the "Baby Boomers", who, through my view of history and knowledge, are the cancer that is killing the United States. Grossly high energy consumption, relatively low output for those folks - a fair comparison to the second generation Hispanics.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
The Hispanics are the problem, not because they themselves are bad folk but their children are not willing to work as hard as the parents so the welfare system supports both. Same idea goes with the "Baby Boomers", who, through my view of history and knowledge, are the cancer that is killing the United States. Grossly high energy consumption, relatively low output for those folks - a fair comparison to the second generation Hispanics.
Damicatz is likely going to be in soon to rip you a new asshole over this statement, and I'll probably have to agree with him. How do you propose dealing with the Baby Boomers, turning them into soylent green? And while illegal immigration is a problem, the stuff you listed about Hispanics is...uhm...how do I say this nicely...cork-on-the-fork retarded.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

All I will say is ...

- Hispanics = more Catholic than any other racial group in the United States
- Catholics = less likely to condone the use of condoms, masturbation, or abortion than any other religious group in the United States

You do the math.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise
Damicatz is likely going to be in soon to rip you a new asshole over this statement, and I'll probably have to agree with him.
Oho.

Quote:
How do you propose dealing with the Baby Boomers, turning them into soylent green?
We can't do anything about them, it's a hopless case. All we can hope for is the next generation turns out better, and that can be done with a mandatory draft for a war. A big one.

Quote:
And while illegal immigration is a problem, the stuff you listed about Hispanics is...uhm...how do I say this nicely...cork-on-the-fork retarded.
1. Hispanics immigrate to this country. They're poorly educated and numerous - they're opportunistic and do hard work at a lower wage than an American would because the standard of living in the US is higher than Mexico.
2. They have children, American-born citizens. The children grow up in a higher standard of living than their parents, enjoying more luxuries than they do even with greater numbers. Because these children are likely better educated than their parents, and have grown up bathed in American culture, they're less likely to continue doing the hard work their parents did - work taken up by more illegals entering the country. For whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
You do the math.
Income has a bigger influence on promiscuity than religion does - there are a lot more correlations that go along with a higher income. The richer people are, trend-wise the less religion tends to constrict them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

Hispanics have one of the highest rates of marrying outside of their ethnic group, which leads to cultural adaptation. That’s why I don't believe them to be a concern, they're likely to adapt to American life well and have children who'll be raised with the same values as the rest of us (not that their values are that different from ours to begin with).
I think it's silly when people look at foreign borns entering America and see a huge problem (or a ticking time bomb). This country has always let in a lot of immigrants, and it's always been okay. They freaked out over African Americans becoming citizens, they freaked out over the Chinese coming over to work, and over the Irish who immigrated during the great potato famine (actually there has been historic distrust of Mexican Hispanics too). Virtually every group (be they an ethnic group of from a particular country) who has come over to the US seems to have been the source of suspicion. The only reason for that being that they are "others" who are not "us." But here we are in the 21st century, and while racism still does exist (it's generally over people who look different than your average white person), if you start talking bad about Irish, or pretty any other European-native group, people think you for a fool.
I suspect that in 50-100 years the same thing will happen, while the percentage of the population with some Hispanic heritage will climb. Just like many people in the US have Irish blood these days.
Most Catholics use birth control of some form. There's an interesting correlation between wealth and birthrate. Humans are the only animal that reproduce less when better fed. So if you're still worried about the birth-rate of Hispanics, support better working conditions and better pay for them.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I can't believe you just said you support the idea of a draft, easily one of the most unconstitutional things they ever instituted upon Americans.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

Re: draft,

So Dopple-y when are you enlisting? Or when did you enlist and where did you serve? Since you think that military service is such a great personal growth opportunity, I'm going to assume that you have served or will serve.

- KV
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Doppel reveres the generation of WW2 veterans but despises their children (the baby boomers). I think he associates the shared war experience of the WW2 vet-generation with their generally polite manners, good work ethic, etc. And he associates the privileged position of the baby boomers, who were used to "being super-rich and super-at peace" all through their childhood in the 50s and adulthood in the 60s and 70s, with the failures of modern America: sloth, greed, and imperialism.

I'll let him speak for himself, though. And there's no way I would ever defend the draft -- I think it's morally reprehensible to force somebody into service rather than at least giving him the legally acceptable option of losing his status as a U.S. citizen permanently (should war break out) and vacating the country, else he enlist. There is some merit to the argument "this country gave you so much, so now it's time for you to give something back," but I don't think any nation-state ever has "the right" to demand of its citizens the ultimate sacrifice.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

The babyboomers parents were unselfish because they were born into the depression, not because they served in a war. When they were children, they were grateful for the toys they got because there weren't that many to go around, their parents were too busy just trying to make ends meet. That's why they ended up with such strong character, not because they went to war. I mean the babyboomers had 'Nam, and that didn't help any, it just seemed to make some of them PTSD sufferers. That is why I am attacking his romanticization of military experience, it makes no sense.

- KV
Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi Violet
Hispanics have one of the highest rates of marrying outside of their ethnic group, which leads to cultural adaptation. That’s why I don't believe them to be a concern, they're likely to adapt to American life well and have children who'll be raised with the same values as the rest of us (not that their values are that different from ours to begin with).
That's misleading, it would be like saying blacks are responsible for more crimes than any other ethnic group. It implies there's something wrong with the black ethnic group when the real cause could be stuff like poverty and poor education.

Quote:
I think it's silly when people look at foreign borns entering America and see a huge problem (or a ticking time bomb). This country has always let in a lot of immigrants, and it's always been okay. They freaked out over African Americans becoming citizens, they freaked out over the Chinese coming over to work, and over the Irish who immigrated during the great potato famine (actually there has been historic distrust of Mexican Hispanics too). Virtually every group (be they an ethnic group of from a particular country) who has come over to the US seems to have been the source of suspicion. The only reason for that being that they are "others" who are not "us." But here we are in the 21st century, and while racism still does exist (it's generally over people who look different than your average white person), if you start talking bad about Irish, or pretty any other European-native group, people think you for a fool.
True, the illegal immigrant issue is more salient in California/Texas/New Mexico than in the north, but there's a number of differences with this ethnic group than with others in the past. Namely, there will be more Hispanics immigrating to the US because they don't have to cross over oceans to get here and thus are not subject to as much restriction as immigrants in the past - because of these numbers, they put a great strain on government services and do not pay income tax to support those services.

The fear is that the influx of so many people will bring the standard of living in the US down to that of Mexico. Personally, I think illegal immigration is just one thorn that is agitating the seemingly inevitable "government bankruptcy" - our huge bureaucracy, underfunded universities and lenience on corporations are just as destructive.

Quote:
Re: draft,

So Dopple-y when are you enlisting? Or when did you enlist and where did you serve? Since you think that military service is such a great personal growth opportunity, I'm going to assume that you have served or will serve.
I'm aiming to enlist after or during law school, but that's not the point. I'm not a war-monger and hate violence, but historically states run by individuals who have known the bitterness of loss/brutality of war tend to be more progressive, liberal, and productive than people who have grown up in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
I'll let him speak for himself, though. And there's no way I would ever defend the draft -- I think it's morally reprehensible to force somebody into service rather than at least giving him the legally acceptable option of losing his status as a U.S. citizen permanently (should war break out) and vacating the country, else he enlist. There is some merit to the argument "this country gave you so much, so now it's time for you to give something back," but I don't think any nation-state ever has "the right" to demand of its citizens the ultimate sacrifice.

Quote:
The babyboomers parents were unselfish because they were born into the depression, not because they served in a war. When they were children, they were grateful for the toys they got because there weren't that many to go around, their parents were too busy just trying to make ends meet. That's why they ended up with such strong character, not because they went to war. I mean the babyboomers had 'Nam, and that didn't help any, it just seemed to make some of them PTSD sufferers. That is why I am attacking his romanticization of military experience, it makes no sense.
I'll have to clarify. When I think "military draft", I'm thinking along the lines of a large portion of the US population getting involved with the military and doing service, which gives them military discipline and provides a fresh cycle of soldiers for whatever armed conflict might be needed here and abroad. The kind of people we know as "war hawks" are not military men/women or officers, but people with no exposure to violence who have created illusions in their mind about the nature of war and combat. If we give them a "taste of reality" so to speak, they'll be less bloodthirsty and won't push their "illusions" into national politics. It's easy to spot such folks out. Just look for people who call the terrorists "evil monsters" who have to "be destroyed". That's as uninformed a view of the Middle East as one can get.

Regarding the Great Generation, I disagree in that the Depression was fully responsible for the agreeable dispositions of the Great Generation - following the Treaty of Westphalia, there was also a long, productive peace in the US which lead to our Industrial Revolution. We also experienced a period of great corruption (The Gilded Age) and a period of crack-downs. That's part of the reason I'm interested in anti-trust law, there might be some demand for lawyers of that discipline in the future.

But I should warn that while there are simmilarities, the past isn't repeating itself. Namely, the crack-down period was a fluke called Teddy Roosevelt (continuing with Taft + Wilson) and it doesn't look like anyone of such dynamicism is keyed up for grabbing office right now.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

Blacks are not an ethnic group, they are a racial group. Ethnic and racial groups are different, you can look it up on the wikitionary if you'd like. I believe the high occurance of intermarrying is important because it will help them (as a group) adapt to the new culture easier (because more of each subsequent generation will have one parent who is a member of the majority culture). So there won't be an "us" versus "them" thing on their part for very long.
I've read statistics that say that the undocumented workers actually contribute more in taxes (like social security which they will never get back) than they drain from the system. I can't cite the source as it's been over a year and I think it was at the library, so you're free to be skeptical of it if you want.
Re: the baby-boomers parents (I'm not going to call them the Great Generation, it's too silly), I brought up the idea that other life experiences shaped them because women were not drafted for WWII (and will likely never be drafted in the US) but women did make up at least half of that generation and contributed to it. I still don't think that a draft is the way to go (see my point about the Baby Boomers having been drafted, and that didn't help any of them be less self-absorbed).
I just enquired about your military service because the vast majority of those who I've known who've comment on who should go into the military and what more the military should do have typically been guys who, the moment I suggest that they sign up, back down and say "well, I've got a wife..." or things like that. They're mostly cowards who just want to talk like they know something about the military. I can't join the military, which is one reason why I'm not going to ever say that military service should be romanticized. From what I've heard from my friends in the military, it's very stressful and not for everyone. I'd rather take my opinion on military service from people in the military than from people outside it.

- KV
Old 07-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Blacks are not an ethnic group, they are a racial group. Ethnic and racial groups are different, you can look it up on the wikitionary if you'd like. I believe the high occurance of intermarrying is important because it will help them (as a group) adapt to the new culture easier (because more of each subsequent generation will have one parent who is a member of the majority culture). So there won't be an "us" versus "them" thing on their part for very long.
Oh, ok.

I agree that intergration through intermarriage is important, but it's a bit troublesome to get that kind of relationship started when there's a climate of prejudice. Especially here in California - many of the "young" white folks, who I mean to be Generation X people trying to live out an American Dream, are moving out of this area for Idaho because they don't want to see so many Hispanics hanging around town.

Quote:
I've read statistics that say that the undocumented workers actually contribute more in taxes (like social security which they will never get back) than they drain from the system. I can't cite the source as it's been over a year and I think it was at the library, so you're free to be skeptical of it if you want.
Of course. Sales tax - they consume services just like anyone else. Because they don't lose money from income tax, they spend more and we raise more through sales tax - such is one of the strongest reasons in support of abolishing income tax and creating a low, national sales tax on everything.

But, since they're relatively unskilled workers, and some of the services they consume demand skills and are expensive, namely medical treatment, individually they're incapable of paying the full brunt of the service/medication and such situations en masse offset the benefits gained from the sales tax.

Quote:
Re: the baby-boomers parents (I'm not going to call them the Great Generation, it's too silly), I brought up the idea that other life experiences shaped them because women were not drafted for WWII (and will likely never be drafted in the US) but women did make up at least half of that generation and contributed to it. I still don't think that a draft is the way to go (see my point about the Baby Boomers having been drafted, and that didn't help any of them be less self-absorbed).
The Baby Boomers are unusual in they were originally very liberal (per the hippy movement) then became very, very conservative, as opposed to their parents who were moderates that became liberal. But the Vietnam War was not a time when the Boomers "ruled" the world as they do now, the Great Generation was still in control and maintained it until Reagan's coming. My idea is that the Boomers associate their hippy movement as causes of the Year of Blood, Watergate and Lennon's murder, which lead to an irrational, extreme opposite lifestyle - instead of, "let's change the world", it was "leave me be, I've earned my butter and will eat it too". They sort of feel guitly/responsible for the problems of that era and, following Reagan's rule, simply don't care about the world anymore.

9/11 created the idea of a crusade against evil, which differs from the Vietnam era in that the "evil" had to be contained, not totally eradicated. For the uneducated mind, that doesn't make any since (Satan and God can live in peace 'wtf?!') and it was a troublesome issue for the GG too going out of World War II propoganda. But the GG overcame that, the Baby Boomers...haven't, really.

Quote:
I just enquired about your military service because the vast majority of those who I've known who've comment on who should go into the military and what more the military should do have typically been guys who, the moment I suggest that they sign up, back down and say "well, I've got a wife..." or things like that. They're mostly cowards who just want to talk like they know something about the military. I can't join the military, which is one reason why I'm not going to ever say that military service should be romanticized. From what I've heard from my friends in the military, it's very stressful and not for everyone. I'd rather take my opinion on military service from people in the military than from people outside it.
One could call me a coward since I'm not going to be a soldier, but an officer, and in the Navy. I've been thinking about military service for a while and I couldn't decide on which branch to go into (I even made a topic about it), but ultimately I decided to go with the Navy since my family has a tradition with them and I've got a guaranteed job. That's not to say that, in a dire emergency I wouldn't go into combat, but at the very least my college and hopefully post-graduate education will go to good use.

People dislike the Army because it has a tendancy to neglect a person's skills. Like my neighbour - he graduated in 2002 from West Point Academy second in his class (computer science), with near perfect grades on the way to being a military intelligence officer. Then the Iraq War broke out and he was shipped off to Baghdad as a lowly tank commander - he had to get re-training and isn't using any of his computer programming skills he built up in college.

It's waste like that which piss me off - the state invests a ton of money in a promising student only to basically throw him away for a low-level job. If more people were involved with the military, and I mean with serious professional training, not the "six week crash course" for Vietnam draftees, people would be more comfortable fighting since their chances of getting killed are minimized by their training and numbers. And they can be rotated out too so they can be refreshed.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

So glad someone could necro with an ad. Can we has the ban hammer on uokfek?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

An incomprehensible necro at that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #17
EpicScizor
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
In 2005, 47 percent of high school students reported having sexual intercourse, down from 54 percent in 1991.
What about the students that did have intercourse, but never reported it?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #18
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Statistical outliers, it's (at least) equally likely that teens are reporting having sex without actually having it. However, for the purposes of an anonymous survey with a decent sample size you can assume the outliers will be outweighed
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
Smart Psyduck
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to Smart Psyduck Send a message via AIM to Smart Psyduck
for the record orthadox Jewish familiesout-size hispanic families any f day of the week, not speaking ill of them just pointing out the 10-15 kid families who walk down my street every day . (I live in a highly Jewish part of Brooklyn)

Its also important to point out that the largest draft was the one which the baby boomers were a part of-- so the delusion that it "builds" anythign positive is null--at least based upon the parameters of the dialogue prior
Smart Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Your observation merely shows that Orthodox Jews have large families, not that Orthodox Jews are just as likely a subpopulation as any other to be saddled with teenage motherhood. I'm not equipped to prove that point right or wrong: I'm just pointing out that family size trends aren't necessarily indicative of teen pregnancy rates.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #21
Smart Psyduck
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to Smart Psyduck Send a message via AIM to Smart Psyduck
to get entirely technical--the orthadox culture all but requires its young women to be what we'd look at as teen mothers. It is all but unheard of for the women to be unwed and childless by the time in which they enter their 20s
Smart Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc