UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 08-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Mercutio
Banned

Empoleon Pokémon Mountain Green/Ocean Grey

So for a while now I've thought on and off about how I would create my own paired Pokémon games, my own Generation if you will. Where it would be, what the Pokémon would be like, what the Gyms would be etc etc. I imagine that many people hare have done the same.

Having just had a short conversation with Connor about some of my ideas we had fun and I thought I'd make an actual thread about it. This is partially for my own enjoyment, as I really like doing stuff like this. However, I figure that with so many amazing artists around and with some game designers and programmers thrown in to the mix it could potentially yield some cool fanart or silly role plays. It could maybe spawn a full on hack game if there are some people here who know how to get that done, and while I don't want to encourage illegality, that would be sweet.

I'll elaborate below but for a flavour... The region I've dimly been considering would be called Albion and would essentially be England, Scotland and Wales rolled in to one. Quite a rural esque feel, with a lot of evidence of industry in the cities but really small villages and stuff and with a giant London that had an Underground. The starters will end up as a part Dragon Trio, with a lot of birds and mammals on land and a lot of cool fish and sea monsters in the copious waters. I've thought of one or two GLs, including a pirate themed Cornish Water Gym and a Dark Gym in Norwich (Simba... you must never go there). I have no idea what the evil theme will be but I do know that I want minimalist legends, none of this space and time stuff. Also, I'd be aiming for 100 entirely new Pokémon, with another 51 Pokémon for nostalgia's sake and with maybe a dozen Pokémon which are related to previous evolutions.

I lack the skill to enter UPC myself but maybe some people will see a way to feed their own ideas in to my ego massaging or take something from here and make it in to their own thing. Feel free to do so!

I'll post a couple of placeholders below and am just gonna start writing stuff up at my leisure but if anyone thinks of any cool British Pokémon ideas just throw them in and we'll see what happens!

(Feel free to ignore me this is definitely a bit of self indulgence on my part lol)

Last edited by Mercutio; 08-17-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Mercutio
Banned

Pokémon - Old and New

New Pokémon (including additions to existing lines)

Spoiler: show
So, the starter trio all have final forms that are part Dragon and they basically represent England, Wales and Scotland. Scotland gets the Grass/Dragon which would have high attack and be sort of like a Grass type Salamence. I personally am bored of Grass type tanks and clerics and I think that the Grass type could use another powerful offensive Pokémon. Learning some nice slashing moves by level up in addition to some esoteric Grass stuff, I'd see this as a counterpoint to Sceptile. Wales would be the Fire Starter, a fairly tanky Komodo Dragon. No flight, but strong defences and Special Attack, learning some interesting things like Inferno by level up. England gets the Water/Dragon line, pretty slender, fast and with Levitate as a hidden ability. I almost envision Blue Eyes in my mind as I picture this one. While the temptation might be to do a sea serpent, I don't want to rehash Gyarados.

While we do already have two Bee-esque lines, I like the idea of a Dark/Bug hornet. Packing some Poison coverage but generally being a hit and run kind of deal, likely with an ability to close down Fairies.

I also think it's high time we got a house fly line, Bug/Flying with an evasion kind of set, learning Bug Buzz at a low level and generally being a bit disgusting. I realise that we're saturated with this type combo but I don't mind it.

I'd also like a Water/Bug line that stays that way. Dave has pointed me at Talon's diving beetle and it looks very swish so maybe I'll ask if I can appropriate it. If not, I'm not sure, but I think I want something a bit tanky.

We should cover birds, of which I would probably have a few from previous games (see below). I'd have a Dark/Flying blackbird, two stage line, quite defensive and good at preventing damage to itself and others. Your standard wind set would round it out.

Despite it in no way matching with the British theme, I would have a national park that would have my parrot Pokémon. This is basically Vivilion, with many forms and colours, but pure Flying and with Colour Change as an ability. I guess it's Kecleon's buddy and it would have only the one stage. Grass type moves as it's a rainforest kind of thing, definitely a few sound moves because I strongly dislike Chatot.

A suggestion from Connor gives us another snake, this one a Grass/Poison adders line. Unlike many others of this type combo it would be quick and high on priority moves, but there'd also be a lot of status abuse. Learning Camouflage and a few other tricks would make it pretty fun I feel.

For my customary fossil pair, I would have a Grass/Rock Triceratops line that essentially redoes Bastiodon but with Special focussed stats, some of the heal supports that Grass packs and Horn Leech. I'd want a pretty fast Prankster kind of pure Rock Raptor line to complement it, packing some Dark moves and disruption techniques.

Staying with the theme of Rock types, I'd also want a Rock/Fighting troll line. This would probably be two stages and you'd find it in the marsh under bridges. Physically tanky and with some trapping moves.

As for Waters. we're having a Dolphin Pokémon because I really want one. I think pure Water but with Bounce and Dive and a lot of general annoyance. Comes with the bubble moves and some fun Flying type stuff.

I need to flesh the above out with proper design philosophy and moves but I also have some vaguer ideas I need to put meat to the bone of. I have a vision of an Electric/Dark line, possibly as black and yellow striped badgers. I know I want some aggressive Fairy/Flying type pixies and a Fairy/Ghost line that is heavy on the disruption. I think my pseudo legend is going to be a Bug/Dragon, mimicking Tyranitar's evolutionary progression a but but ending up with this big spiky six winged thing. I would like an Ice typed rodent line and possibly an Ice/Fighting alternative to Abomasnow in terms of big brutal Ice type with a punch. I want a centaur of some description but I have no idea what it would end up being. Fire type squirrel Pokémon, Fighting type Kangaroo.

Finally, my legends. Minimalist, back to nature, I'm thinking a Water/Steel leviathan with a huge beak and excellent defences and a Water/Pychic Kraken with a lot of draining moves and some heavy offence. Trio of timrous beasties, probably Fairy, Ghost and Ice.

Old Pokémon

Spoiler: show
I know that there'd here'd be Pidove, Pidgey and Wingull because it's England and there are pigeons and gulls pretty much everywhere. Wingull would learn Rain Dance by level up for comedy purposes.

I would want to bring back some stuff that perhaps gets a bad rap, Bidoof and Buizel springing to mind.

Ursaring would definitely make an appearance, as would Stoutland and Stantler (possibly with an evolution).

Last edited by Mercutio; 08-18-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

Locations and Designs

Placeholder II.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Mercutio
Banned

People and Plots

Placeholder III
Old 08-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Mercutio
Banned

Moves and Items

Placeholder IV.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Weather: Perma-Rain

NPCs: Pressing A to talk to any NPCs results in the same type of message every time. "Who are you? Why are you talking to me? Mind your own business. Sod off."
Old 08-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
Chalis
Activating Rampage

I really cannot come up with ideas, but if you want to make a hack, I can do it. Also as long as other people that can do so are around. I'm too lazy and would take years.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:31 AM   #8
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Maybe add a Cornish pixie or leprechaun-based Fairy, since British folklore is quite rich with those type of creatures. And maybe one of the Legend locations would be near Stonehenge, perhaps a Wyvern?
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah there will be rain, the original joke was that there were Pidove everywhere and they all had Drizzle.

Sounds good, Machamp, maybe one day we can be trillionaires!

Yeah I mentioned the pixie I've a vague idea about, Fairy/Flying and all claws and malice. Good call!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

You can also have a Ghost/Fairy based on Hinkypunks or sprites. Furthermore, maybe have a Legendary or Fossil Pokemon in Loch Ness. A Dragon-type, perhaps. A Pokemon based off British Hedgehogs or Shrews might also be nice.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

So London is completely underground? Or a small portion is above ground while most of the stuff/plot happens below ground. Either way it sounds sweet.

Also there should be like a fighting gym with football themed mazes, that'd be cool. Added bonus for Fairy Gym being a pub because I'm laughing from the sheer thought of it.

The villains should be evil Unovians trying to take over Albion with their lack of care for u. Am I being too subtle here?

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
>Has RPG Maker and a few other game tools.

Anyways I'm willing to help if I'm needed.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Mercutio
Banned

No I mean London would have a metro, the London one of which is called the Underground. Because I want it to be massive but in no way do I want to be Lumiose.

Hedgehog yeah, was thinking of that earlier. I don't really know what to do for Ghost types but Nessie will definitely be a thing. And the lake will probably have wild Lapras in it as well.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Dark type big cat legendary for the Beast of Bodmin Moor? And a Kelpie (Water Horse) legend? Those would be fairly minor legends, could also have a major Fisher King based legend. Like a legendary Castform only not stupid looking.

Last edited by Concept; 08-17-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
Mercutio
Banned

I don't really want to do a legendary water horse because it's vaguely similar to both Suicune and whatever the Water type musketeer is, but a Beast of Bodmin Moor is a cood idea. I considered doing a second beast trio because I feel like Britain should be full of dogs.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Alternatively, the Beast of Bodmin and Nessie could be Mega Purugly (Black/Purple rather than White/Purple and more badass looking) and Mega Lapras, having found unique mega stones in their respective locations. Mega forms being temporary evos is a good explanation for why no-one finds them when they go looking.

EDIT the first: Arthur for champion?

Last edited by Concept; 08-17-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah so the Elite Four is either going to be led by Winston or Arthur. I'm thinking a Fire, Grass, Water and Electric quad (all with five pokémon incidentally) and then a Champion packing some heavy duty stuff.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Sherlock and Looker getting on one anothers nerves?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
Mercutio
Banned

Sherlock actually works quite with the vague plan that I have to have the Doctor and James Bond turn up and take out the evil team's plan to steal the Crown Jewels.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #20
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Team Evil is obviously going to be from Kalos.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #21
Mercutio
Banned

In no way was that my plan.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #22
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

if you're going with dogs and Sherlock references, something fashioned after the Hound of the Baskervilles would make us all love the game.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #23
Connor
Flashbacker

This could be interesting.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #24
Mercutio
Banned

The thing is that while I want to have lots of canines in this, I feel like Pokémon is saturated. So what I'd be more likely to do is just create Mega Arcanine, Mega Stoutland etc. Sadly despite my personal distaste for Mega Evolution I can't really get away with not if I want other people to get excited.

Mega Arcanine being Fire Fighting just to piss everyone off, obviously.

More seriously I would Mega up all of the Johto Starters, they definitely need the help.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #25
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
No I mean London would have a metro, the London one of which is called the Underground. Because I want it to be massive but in no way do I want to be Lumiose.

Hedgehog yeah, was thinking of that earlier. I don't really know what to do for Ghost types but Nessie will definitely be a thing. And the lake will probably have wild Lapras in it as well.
Well, there's the Ghost/Fairy Hinkypunk. Imagine the sprites or Navi from Ocarina of Time. Floating balls of light. Lanterns are optional.

With the hedgehog idea, maybe avoid making the line Poison (too obvious) or Ground (Sandslash). I was thinking maybe Normal for the Basic stage and then evolves into either Normal/Dark or Normal/Fighting. Normal would give the hedgehog access to weird moves, and the secondary typing would make more thematic sense. I also second Concept's suggestion of Kelpies.

In terms of Grass Pokemon, you could maybe base one off the Poppy, a great WWI icon and a symbol of Essex. And another Pokemon based off Daffodils, maybe using the Narcissus myth for inspiration. Also, Thistles in Scotland please. Thistles are very Scottish.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction