UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Batman: the Animated Series

"Batman: the Animated Series is an American animated series based on the DC Comics character Batman. Noted for its thematic complexity, darkness, and high artistic quality, it has been praised by critics and fans alike as one of the most faithful adaptations of the character. IGN has called the series the best adaptation of Batman anywhere outside of comics, the best comic book cartoon of all time, and the second best animated series of all time.

"The series originally aired on the Fox Network from September 5, 1992 to September 15, 1995. When the first season of the series aired on weekday afternoons, it lacked an on-screen title, but when its timeslot was moved to weekends during its second season, it was given the on-screen title The Adventures of Batman & Robin." - Wikipedia
Given that we have a lot of children and young adults here, I thought it might be worth posting a thread about this excellent television series here. Just last night, I discovered by accident that Warner Bros. is graciously allowing people to watch select episodes from the series for free on the streaming section of their KidsWB website. I've watched a small handful of episodes already and I am astonished by just how good the show is: it is in some places far better than I remember it, something which is usually not the case with cartoons you loved as a kid.

One episode that I would particularly recommend, as it is not only my personal favorite but also one of the four Emmy Award-winning episodes of the series, is "Heart of Ice", the episode in which Mr. Freeze makes his first-ever appearance.

To the younger generation, I think it would be fair to say this: Avatar: the Last Airbender was your guys' Batman: the Animated Series in many ways. So if you liked Avatar for its good animation and mature plot, and if you like the Christopher Nolan Batman movies Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, then you should love this show. Give it a try when you've got a moment. I think you'll like it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
GrJackass
Night Man

One of my personal favorite shows growing up

but all that needs to be said right here
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...n-tas-episodes

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
GrJackass
Night Man

u ended up rewatching the entire series like 8 months ago, unfortunatly it was only 4 seasons ;-;

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I keep forgetting to download this ;;

I remember it being a saturday morning highlight back when I was like 9.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I miss the old retro look the animated series had. It's so annoying to watch stuff like Justice League and see how greatly the style has changed without aging Batman. Of coarse, it would turn like a 30 year old Batman into like a 60 year old.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I miss the old retro look the animated series had. It's so annoying to watch stuff like Justice League and see how greatly the style has changed without aging Batman. Of coarse, it would turn like a 30 year old Batman into like a 60 year old.
that was called "batman beyond"

Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh my god, I'm in tears laughing at his review of episode 11 when he brings up "the shrine." It's so true though. XFD Bad enough to have any fan show you their shrine that shows how obsessed with you they are, but when it's frickin' Batman ...

The rest of the review was decently entertaining. I felt like a lot of his choices in the bottom third or half were very solid, but once we got towards the top half, personality differences started to take over and I found the Nostalgia Critic's list populated with many episodes I wouldn't even rank in a Top 10. (I was, of course, pleased to see that my #1 was his #4.)

Man, though. This shows you how rusty my memory is for a show I haven't seen since I was a kid: I totally do not remember Nightwing being in the show at all. I felt like we had Dick Grayson in Seasons 1 and 2 and then they just mysteriously replaced him with Tim Drake for the later seasons. I guess I must have missed the transitional episodes or something. And, as a kid, I guess I just didn't know who Nightwing was. I guess the show assumed that I would and of course since I didn't I must have just thought "Oh, he must be some random ally. Like the time the Punisher teams up with Spider-Man." But yeah. Seeing Nightwing in some of these clips surprised me. Especially since I do remember seeing the episode the Nostalgia Critic ranked #6. (And that is a really good episode, right up until the very end. But even with the end kind of ruining it, it's still a good "What if?" episode, just like he says.)
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
GrJackass
Night Man

if you liked this review, just google "nostalgia critic" hes got a couple of hundred or so reviews of all the shows/movies/commercials of our youth

and although i might not have put his number 1 choice as number one, i would still have had it in the top 5 and if you've seen the baby doll episode, you'd understand why its that high up (not accusing just sayin)

also yea there wasent really a transitional episode, it was more that dick grayson got older, he argued with bruce a lot and he moved out, which prompted a bunch of episodes with solo batman, then they went straight to tim drake (3rd robin in the comics)

the second robin they showed in that movie that came out last year "batman red mask"

also i HIIIIGHLY recommend the batman beyond movie "return of the joker"
first off that series was done by the same people who did TAS, superman and the justice league, also they have a fantastic 20 min flashback scene which just takes you back to the original animated series.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Believe me, I know who the Nostalgia Critic is already. But thank you anyway, Gr. I just hadn't seen this particular review of his.

Of course I've seen Baby Doll. Numerous times. (As in, probably truly 5+ if not 10+ times in my life.) It's a good episode. But ... I'm not sure it'd have even made my Top 10, much less #1. Sounds like he's just very biased in favor of it. Then again, I'm biased in favor of "Heart of Ice", so whatever! People can have their opinions. I'm just sayin': I don't always agree with his, and I think it showed because the lower half of his list were more "episodes the entire fandom would agree are classics" whereas the top half of his list were two or three of them the same as before while the rest were clearly personal favorites that various individuals might not include on their own Top 10s. (For instance, I probably would not have included the courtroom episode. It's derivative of the poker episode and, like he says, the poker episode is simply better.)

Some of my the episodes that I liked but that were either only mentioned in passing reference or didn't even get a mention were ...

(lol, spoiler tag for a 20-year old series ... but Dave says he's going to watch it some day, so ... out of respect for Dave ...)
Spoiler: show
  • the episode where we follow around a robot that thinks it's Bruce Wayne and the robot, poor thing, believes that the whole world is lying to it and that it really is the real Bruce Wayne and that he's been put into a robot's body. DS9 did a similar revisit of this theme with [character name omitted], as you may recall.
  • maybe the episode with Scarface, I can't be entirely certain. Would have to see it again. As a kid, though, I remember this being really fascinating to me, especially the twist. I always much preferred Scarface to Two-Face, too. Two-Face never really did the split personality thing well -- he was always Two-Face, never Harvey, which to me kind of defeated the point of his character.
  • there's an origin story episode with Dick Grayson that I remember really liking, but again, would have to see it again before deciding if it's Top 10 material or not
  • the episode where Bruce Wayne is sent to a slave labor camp and put inside of a steel crate as punishment. That was a really hardcore, solid episode with good writing. Kids (who are now grown men and women) may not like it because it doesn't have much to do with Batman as Batman nor is the villain worth remembering, but the story itself is so good I think it's one of my favorites.
  • others I'm sure I'm not remembering right at this minute

I dunno. His choices weren't bad. I'm just not sure I'd put some of them in my Top 10. But without having better choices ready on hand to fill those spots, I guess my argument seems a little silly. I'd probably have to re-watch the show (or at least some of it) to rediscover what episodes I really loved as a kid.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
GrJackass
Night Man

he did have like 5 or so honorable mentions at the very end (i believe the credits)

edit:
the jokers favor
mudslide- which i believe is clayface
the clock king
legends of the dark knight - which was remade in that "anime" batman thing that was released (if its the one im thinking of where the kids tell stories about batman and how they saw him individually)

Last edited by GrJackass; 01-13-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Emp
Volcano Badge

Scraggy

I remember really digging the original animated batman, but I don’t really feel at liberty to comment on it at the moment as the only episodes I remembered involved Harley Quinn – who was such a stand-out character she got written into DC canon.

Batman Beyond wasn’t as good iirc, but I loved The Batman. I feel like the show got off to a slow start with poor character design for the Joker and Freeze, but in the second season or so they started pulling out all the stops. There were some great psychological episodes involving Hugo Strange and The Riddler that really solidified that Batman has the best ensemble of villains hands down.

The final season was really unique, with Justice League members regularly making appearances allowing us to explore some of the more obscure villians in the DC franchise. Plus the series finale is awesome, something about Batman being depicted as the best out of all the supers is just epic.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
GrJackass
Night Man

agreed batman beyond was not as good as the original, but the movie was on par

Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

While I loved B:TAS, I just want to know... am I the only one here who thoroughly enjoyed the ~2004 reboot, "The Batman" (made by the same team behind Jackie Chan Adventures)?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Emp
Volcano Badge

Scraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
am I the only one here who thoroughly enjoyed the ~2004 reboot, "The Batman" (made by the same team behind Jackie Chan Adventures)?
See my post :P Zora thoroughly enjoyed it too from what I recall.

Aah, Jackie Chan Adventures nostalgia wave~
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

I didn't see the final season, and the first season was definitely not strong, but the second was great as you said. My absolute favorite was the two part episode in which Clayface was tragically created by Joker. Seeing a main character and a good guy horrifically transformed into a bad guy, often times shifting back into his real persona a la Venom and Eddie Brock, begging for help when there was none to give, was really fucking horrifying at the time and I absolutely adored it. I also enjoyed Mr. Freeze's story re-telling. The unfortunate thing about the first season was that it had a lot of really poorly written episodes in terms of structure and story telling. A lot of things felt shoe horned as all hell...

The main reason I stopped watching was because they introduced Robin (I think?). I felt like the show was great with just Batman and it should have remained that way, but I guess I can't judge how it went without knowing.

At the end of the day though I will honestly say that I believe there were a lot of moments in which The Batman was darker than it's 90's predecessor (something that's not easy to do and still remain a kids show in this day and age, considering 90's Batman was fairly dark. Also violent. Need more of that in today's shows.)

Also speaking of the J-Team, I just finished the second season an hour ago :P

Last edited by deoxys; 01-13-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
GrJackass
Night Man

i couldnt watch "the batman" i saw an episode or two and the fact that they just turned the joker into a brute turned me off completely to the show

as for batman the brave and the bold, i hear decent things about it but its too campy for my tastes

Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Batman: The Animated Series is the best animated cartoon series ever. Hands down. A lot of naysayers would claim that title belongs to The Simpsons but for me that's like comparing Cowboy Bebop to say Doraemon - too much weight is given to it being "relevant" to and "insightful" of a certain culture, along with its sheer length. 100 years from now, people will still be watching Batman: The Animated Series like how Pinocchio is still loved 72 years after it premiered!

The Batman sucked. Batman Beyond was OK until that full-on retarded retcon in JUL that forever sealed my hatred toward superhero comics and the people behind them.

Seriously. Fudge you DC, you half-witted gits!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

I loved watching Batman:TAS. Mark Hamill will always be the animated Joker for me
TheNthDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #19
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNthDoctor View Post
I loved watching Batman:TAS. Mark Hamill will always be the Joker for me
fixed typo

Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think what impresses me about Hamill is his career path went from 1) stereotyped as Skywalker to 2) stereotyped as maniac deranged villain to 3) no stereotype.

His "villain voice" that he used for Joker, sans the jovial attitude, is intimidating and authoritarian. On par with Kevin Michael Richardson's villainous voices (Richardson did The Joker in The Batman interestingly).

It's really cool to see where Hamill's career has gone. But he was really first reborn with Batman TAS.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #21
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
His "villain voice" that he used for Joker, sans the jovial attitude, is intimidating and authoritarian.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I never saw The Batman. Sounds like it's something that came out after I headed off to college (Sept 2003). Before then, the only reason I tuned in to KidsWB any more was to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! (which back then had just reached the arc with Noah, a.k.a. Noah's Ark Arc). And after heading off to college, I didn't watch much television (on television) period. It sounds okay, but to be perfectly honest I'm kind of glad to hear that it wasn't as good as Batman: the Animated Series was. I know that's kinda petty ^^;, but ... I'm glad to hear that Batman: the Animated Series did things better. It was a special show. Good to hear that matching or exceeding that show's specialness has proven to be a tough challenge.

In response to Gr and the Doctor's posts ... I would say that, for me, Hamill defined what the Joker should be. That stated, Heath Ledger and/or Christopher Nolan took that idea and really sculpted it into something wonderful and real. Because let's face it: Cartoon Joker, while significantly less campy than Jack Nicholson Joker or Adam West-era Joker, is still way too campy. For me, I'd say Ledger Joker > Hamill Joker > Nicholson Joker > other Jokers. But I'm able to enjoy the Ledger Joker (the pure anarchist sociopath) and the Hamill Joker (which is the comic Joker taken to his natural endpoint if you make him as threatening and frightening as possible while still keeping in character) perfectly well. It's like asking "Do I like strawberries more or peaches more?" I may like peaches more, but I like strawberries very much too, and some days you just feel like eating strawberries instead of peaches. Same thing with those two.

In response to what Doppel said, while I wish it were true, I'm not holding my breath. I should like to think that the high quality of Batman: the Animated Series and especially of Avatar: the Last Airbender would earn both of these series a special spot in the bookshelves of families for generations to come. Unfortunately, it seems far more likely to me that, just as today's kids have seen Avatar but not Batman, so too will the kids of the 2010s have their own special cartoon; and the kids of the 2020s their own; and so on and so forth; and that before you know it, no one's going to remember Batman: the Animated Series. At least, not until it gets re-animated and re-written. Just like what has been happening with the cartoons of the 1980s (e.g. Thundercats and My Little Pony). Still, it sure would be nice to be proven wrong here, and to learn that kids in the 2020s or the 2030s are still watching 1990s Batman cartoons and 2000s Avatar episodes. Maybe I should have a little more faith though: from what I understand, Batman: the Animated Series reruns air on Hasbro's The Hub, and I know from visiting friends or family with cable TV when I was a teen that Nickelodeon and/or Cartoon Network were airing old 1980s cartoons I grew up with like Alvin and the Chipmunks or DuckTales.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #23
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I never saw The Batman. Sounds like it's something that came out after I headed off to college (Sept 2003). Before then, the only reason I tuned in to KidsWB any more was to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! (which back then had just reached the arc with Noah, a.k.a. Noah's Ark Arc). And after heading off to college, I didn't watch much television (on television) period. It sounds okay, but to be perfectly honest I'm kind of glad to hear that it wasn't as good as Batman: the Animated Series was. I know that's kinda petty ^^;, but ... I'm glad to hear that Batman: the Animated Series did things better. It was a special show. Good to hear that matching or exceeding that show's specialness has proven to be a tough challenge.
The Batman was created to help promote Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins and TDK. It created controversy because characters except Batman himself were no longer allowed to appear in Bruce Timm's Justice League due to some retarded licensing labyrinth. So a lot of Bruce Timm fans have it out for The Batman and it didn't help that it wasn't very good.

I never liked it. But I don't care for the new Batman films either, and the two were supposedly similar in style and poise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
In response to what Doppel said, while I wish it were true, I'm not holding my breath. I should like to think that the high quality of Batman: the Animated Series and especially of Avatar: the Last Airbender would earn both of these series a special spot in the bookshelves of families for generations to come. Unfortunately, it seems far more likely to me that, just as today's kids have seen Avatar but not Batman, so too will the kids of the 2010s have their own special cartoon; and the kids of the 2020s their own; and so on and so forth; and that before you know it, no one's going to remember Batman: the Animated Series. At least, not until it gets re-animated and re-written. Just like what has been happening with the cartoons of the 1980s (e.g. Thundercats and My Little Pony). Still, it sure would be nice to be proven wrong here, and to learn that kids in the 2020s or the 2030s are still watching 1990s Batman cartoons and 2000s Avatar episodes. Maybe I should have a little more faith though: from what I understand, Batman: the Animated Series reruns air on Hasbro's The Hub, and I know from visiting friends or family with cable TV when I was a teen that Nickelodeon and/or Cartoon Network were airing old 1980s cartoons I grew up with like Alvin and the Chipmunks or DuckTales.
The caveat with those shows is they're not very good. Very few cartoons out of the 1980's could be rightfully called classics unless seen through a rose tinted telescope called nostalgia. Stuff out of the 1990's Cartoon-Cartoon renaissance were a lot better, comparable to average Looney Tunes but not really "legendary" like the Fleischer Studios Superman, What's Opera Doc?, One Froggy Evening, etc. There's a lot more to dispute with shows like that, and people who bother to see them years later won't have as nice things to say and keep the collective memory immaculate.

Batman: The Animated Series, while not seen to new generations, has been passed down as godly through oral tradition. It's just like how if you ask most people about the best flight simulator ever, anywhere online, you will get Tie Fighter as a response, because it is so famous people who haven't even played it just name drop it. The brand recognition is tremendous.

Disney's Pinocchio, likewise, wasn't widely available until the Betamax/VHS allowed re-releases of it to introduce the show to new generations, and places like Disneyland kept the memory alive. Promotional machines have been the very soul of Disney, really - look at how recognizable Mickey Mouse is/was for all those years without nary a Mickey Mouse cartoon airing on television. He had specials from time to time, and a few recent games, but Disney has had to work very hard to keep Mickey's image in the public eye, something Bugs Bunny has had little trouble with. Cartoons like Batman and games like TF, I feel, have that same natural quality.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Before there were VCRs, it was very common / it was standard for Disney films to re-air in the cinemas once every 5-10 years. At least it was where my mother grew up: because she most definitely did not have to wait for Snow White or Pinocchio to come out on VHS before seeing them. The cartoon analogue would be reruns on syndicated TV or on cable TV.

Also: I would not call TIE Fighter the best flight simulator ever and aive played my fair share of them. Rose-tinted lenses indeed.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I'm really curious now as to why Dopple thinks so highly of Pinocchio- I agree with his assessment of TIE Fighter as a classic (though maybe not the best of all time), but Pinocchio seems a bit randomly selected- I don't know of anyone else who singles it out as the pinnacle of early Disney (I'm partial to Sleeping Beauty myself from the early-ish films, the backgrounds are simply astounding, you can really see how it cost such an astronomical amount to make).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment