時の彼方へ

AIM vs. Trillian vs. other?

What I want:
- Windows compatibility
- no malware, spyware, etc. built in
- as few security exploits as possible
- must be compatible with users of AIM 6.0
- freeware

It doesn't need any other bells or whistles yet since all I need is a secure IM client for right now so I can IM people who know about computers in real time from this machine I've put together.

Please share any horror stories you have personally experienced, but not those that you have only heard through word of mouth.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
Re: AIM vs. Trillian vs. other?

I still use a copy of AIM 4.7. With just a few edits in notepad, you can get rid of the embedded advertisements. It runs smoothly and quickly and is IMO the best of all of the AIM versions. There is no need to upgrade.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

Pidgin
Kasumi Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

I've used Trillan since Snorlax told me about it in 2001, and I've been very satisfied with it but not quite as much as with the earlier AIM versions. Frankly, I'm jealous Namek has 4.0 since in my view everything since it has sucked. The interface was so much simpler way back when.

The only issue with Trillan is that it gets errors when closing - this seems to be a flaw in the system that was never hammered out. As in, one starts to shut it down and it just won't for a while, so Windows has to terminate the program. It's not that much of a bother though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta

You can still get old copies of AIM at oldversion.com .
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wait, what.

o_o
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

lol. I'm running on 5.1 something and I was able to get a non-advertising version. But I remembered 4.7 and liked it quite a bit. Don't remember if it has invisibility though. I need that sometimes ~_~
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Who says 6˝-year-old threads don't serve a purpose?

So. Here's the situation: I have not signed in to Pidgin or Trillian in so long that apparently the AOL security certificate I have for Pidgin not only is out of date but, according to the client, they can't update it safely for me because the only avenues offering to update it are in turn not trusted because their security certificates are expired. ^^; I figure the smartest, safest way around this is to close out of the application without blindly accepting the newly-offered ticket (done), upgrading the app, and signing right back in. If the problem persists? Then it's something on AOL's end that I guess I'd need to look into.

But when I visited Pidgin's Wikipedia page to see what the nerds were saying about her these days, I saw some condemnation about how she's hacker bait. Well that's not very good.

Then when I visited Trillian's official site, what greeted me looked like a business school graduate's senior project in web design. It ... uh ... it gave me the impression that Trillian maaaaaaaaaaaaaay have sold out.

So before I go upgrading either Pidgin or Trillian, I figured I'd ask you guys. Which applications do you currently use to communicate with people online? Do you use either Pidgin or Trillian? If so, when was the last time you used it and what was your impression about the software?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I still use Pidgin because lazy. No problems on my end thus far.

dami has recommended Trillian and also warned me to avoid Skype. I'm not a fan of the Trillian interface, though, and I can't bring myself to stop using Skype because I lav my UPN people. ;_;

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
Sneaze
Mrow?

I use plus.im since it allows me to use most chat programs all at once and is in-browser, which is a boon when using a Chromebook.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morg View Post

dami has recommended Trillian and also warned me to avoid Skype. I'm not a fan of the Trillian interface, though, and I can't bring myself to stop using Skype because I lav my UPN people. ;_;
You can get skins to make it look better.

That's x10 IRC channels, x4 AIM tabs, and x1 MSN tab

I have Skype support now, even though Trillian claims no. I installed Skype, converted to Skype and had a convo over Skype's client while Trillian was active. Now I can comm to friends over Trillian MSN like I could in the pre-Skype transition era. I'm still working out the kinks. That blue tab is my MSN friend who I couldn't talk to for months because of the MSN-Skype conversion. Now I can for some reason.

It's a mystery.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I still use Pidgin because lazy. No problems on my end thus far.
Do you know what version you have? Mine is 2.7.1.
  • If yours is older, do you know if you were prompted to update your AOL security tickets in the last year or two?
  • If yours is newer, do you remember if you upgraded to it in the last year or two?
Quote:
I thought that Trillian supported Skype as well. I mean, I know it supported interacting with MSN accounts, so I guess I just assumed it supported interacting with Skype people too. Is that something you want me to look into for you should I end up upgrading Trillian? (No promises! 'Cause man does their official site look like it was made by business school sellouts. Does not give me confidence that they're the same team dami once knew and loved! ^^; )
Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #13
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Trillian does indeed support Skype. MCXD uses it all the time for Skype.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #14
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Mine is slightly newer, and installed within the last year or two. Nothing drastically different about it, I'd say. No certificate problems, either.

Dopple, are you ready for 2 yet? =3=

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Officially, Trillian is incompatible with Skype because Microsoft hasn't disclosed the source for the SkypeKit API so Trillian can't build anything stable. But as mentioned earlier, by some voodoo means I can talk over it. It doesn't support Hangouts I believe, for the same reason - Google's closed source stance on its new client is really fudging over consumer interest.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I think I'm going to go ahead and update Pidgin first. I know dami loves Trillian, but ... eh ... I'm not finding much love for it online these days. In fact, someone mentioned that *Trillian* now has ads, which means it's no better than Skype and the recent malware ads debacle! AFAIK Pidgin doesn't have ads, so that's a plus. I may circle back around and update Trillian later. We'll see.

For now, though, it looks like a Pidgin update is exactly what the doctor ordered. Check this out, right smack dab on their front page:
Quote:
Pidgin 2.10.8 contains important security updates and fixes an untrusted AIM SSL certificate.
Aha.

EDIT: Just to confirm, the update went fine and I was able to easily log into Pidgin afterwards. The only problem seems to be that chat rooms are no longer supported in Pidgin. Can anybody confirm this? I know at least one other person was having the same problem I was having.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-07-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Trillian does have ads but most of them are from Cerulean Studios itself, advising you to buy Trillian. They're also very non-invasive, appearing before your comment gets posted (very infrequently) and I often miss them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc