UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #7076
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
KyoAni has really sold out. At least with Amagi and its shameless fanservice, the show was poorly animated, so the inclusion could be excused. I can only imagine how much productivity dipped when they dropped a sack of money on some poor Korean sap's desk and said "ANEMATE DTITZ!"
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 PM   #7077
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I would hardly say they've sold out when there's also going to be a second season to Hibike!Euphonium this year (iirc). If they were only producing shows like Amagi and this one (if it ends up like how you describe that one), then yeah I could maybe see where you're coming from since they seem to fit in more with what's popular right now. But Hibike is a legitimately good show that they're still working on, so I don't think it's really fair to say they've sold out.

And I mean, this show only has 2 (I think) episodes out right now, and this was from its first. It's really too early to judge.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #7078
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I would still say they sold out. Ten years ago, KyoAni was considered a studio that was largely above including fanservice in their work. The argument was their product was strong enough to sell itself without needing any kind of sexual dressing.

This isn't to say their works didn't sell sexuality - Haruhi itself featured bunny costumes, swimsuits and Mikuru's anti-gravity bra, but that kind of fanservice was staple in everything. No, I'm thinking of the cliches, like stumbling onto a girl while she's dressing and getting a face full of classified information.

Like how Sento Isuzu puts on her stockings before her underwear.

So yeah, what Talon posts looks cartoony extreme like what I'd expect from a pure ecchi show. High quality animation has its own fans. Hentai and ecchi attracts crowds to. KyoAni's followers are loyal. Put 'em together and what have you got? Bibbidi Bobbidi Boobs!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #7079
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Boku dake ga Inai Machi:

This is getting its own thread.

I'm absolutely in love with this series. Thanks so very much for bringing it to my attention, bbb. I know this is the only Winter 2016 anime I'm watching and so I might not be in any position to judge, but ... a, I feel like this is the best anime of the entire season and b, I feel like its quality is on par with Death Parade's. It's just really, really good. I'm both relieved and gutted that it's only a 12'er. That should mean early closure (pro), but it also means a quick end to Heaven (con).

I'll try for a "proper post" later, but for now, a few quick thoughts on Episode 02:

Spoiler: show
One, I wonder if Kenya was in fact Satoru's mother's killer. Maybe he liked Hinazuki, blamed Satoru's mother for the bungled criminal investigation, went mad from grief, started abducting kids himself, she witnessed it, and so he killed her both to silence a witness and to get revenge. ... Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing based on similar eye designs and other minutiae. ^^;

Two, I wonder if the 1988 killer's going to target Satoru, which in turn leads to Satoru's mother getting killed as she defends her son, which in turn leads to another Revival. #steinsgate

Three, I wonder if the manga is divided into story arcs and the 12-episode anime will cover Story Arc 1. For example, maybe on this first pass Satoru manages to thwart the original killer, thereby saving both Hinazuki and his mother, but when he returns to the present he discovers another serial killer's on the loose and he's sent back once more to 1988 to fix things. (Say, hypothetically, the killer in Arc 2 is none other than Hinazuki herself.) So Satoru has to do things a little differently this time, still trying to avoid the outcome where his mother dies (Story Arc 1) but now also trying to prevent Hinazuki from turning out twisted (Story Arc 2). Or something. Not necessarily that specific Story Arc 2 -- please, no! I like sweet innocent Hinazuki! -- but just something that results in Satoru rebounding to 1988 over and over again.

There are many little things I want to gush about but can't quickly find the words for. The show does a lot of little things wonderfully. It's just such a pleasant show. It bridges the genres of mystery, psychological thriller, elementary school nostalgia, and science fiction / fantasy so very, very well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #7080
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Two more new shows.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm
I'm not even sure why I started this. Was it because I wanted to follow more than two freaking shows this season? Probably. This was okay, but nothing I can see myself getting excited about. Main girl was somewhat entertaining with her enthusiastic dumbness, but that's about it.

Dagashi Kashi
This, on the other hand, was a pleasant treat. Stupid and off-the-wall, just the way I like it. Actually this is probably my favorite show of the season. I mean, Boku Dake is definitely a superior show, but dumb and silly takes place over coherent! My only fear is the jokes getting repetitive. I can easily see it happening.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #7081
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

So in news that's pleasing to me, Tokyo ESP is getting dubbed by Funimation.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #7082
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
So in news that's pleasing to me, Tokyo ESP is getting dubbed by Funimation.
I've no clue what a Tokyo ESP is, but I did hear of this! Adam (popularly known on youtube as Skydoesminecraft) announced that he'd be playing some character called Kyotaro a bit back. This struck a sort of heartwarming feeling, as I've been watching the dude since before he had 100k subs (now at 11 mil), and it's a satisfying feeling to have seen him go from a depressed fat dude to a fit and strong champ participating in big productions like these.

Might watch it just to see how he voiced the dude, but i'm not familiar with the show. Could you perhaps describe it a bit for me, PG?
Old 01-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #7083
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

It's Japanese X-Men
Old 01-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #7084
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Haruhi: Currently about three-quarters of the way through Book 3. I'm about a quarter of the way into its fourth story, Remote Island Syndrome, which featured as a two-parter in Season 1.

So far, I'd say that the books are good but that I definitely enjoy Kyoto Animation's television adaptation more. If I do press on to Book 7, and the current plan is to do that, it'll be with regret that my first experience couldn't be with the show.

Hikaru no Go: fourth viewing resumed after a nearly nine-month long pause. Just finished Episode 57 earlier today.

Haruchika: Anyone watching this? I wanted to see what P.A. Works was up to recently and saw that this mystery series was airing this season. Are we talking BokuMachi / Another sort of mystery or are we talking Hyouka / small potatoes mystery? Not gonna touch the latter but if it's the former then it might well worth be checking out.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #7085
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Re:Monster

As referenced elsewhere, I've spent a good chunk of the last four days immersing myself in the LN version of Re:Monster. It actually pre-empted my attempt at starting Boku dake ga Inai Machi and Grimgar 02. Sorry folks. ^^;

I had read all that was available last year, but now at least twice as much is translated and proof read/edited. So it's very palatable, and has taken a lot of time to go through.

For the most part, I enjoyed it. The story is pretty interesting at first but the dungeon crawling that happens later feels far too filler/cumbersome. The tactical adventure that came about from those first two major arcs was far more interesting than the main character turning his base into a modern city.

In fact, that's what has hampered by reading late...it feels more like a journal of a typical guy later on than it does on a psychic reborn as a monster. Guy has family, plays with wife and kids, accomplishes things at work, eats (this is the ultimate food scene story), sleeps, rinse repeat. I mean, I'm clearly dressing the story in drab, but after the arc involving the human kingdom that's basically what it's been like.

So, it's interesting me to see the point where the story got boring. Definitely, the dungeon crawl and some of the RPG-style battles were boring. The technological innovation was interesting at first, but has gone kind of overboard as Apollo keeps adding them on in kind of ridiculous ways. He's also mellowed out far too much so the fact he's "evil" is being glossed over a lot. One of the hallmarks of the first two arcs was how ruthless he was, embracing his monster nature while applying his human rationality/intelligence.

It's still a good read. But while it was excellent up until like Day 180, from Day 180-200 it's dragged. And unfortunately that was a lot of reading material.

I think it goes up to Day 350
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #7086
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Some interesting manga history ...

Let's start off with the fact that the illustrator of Hikaru no Go, Mr. Obata Takeshi, is also the illustrator of Death Note. This you probably already knew.

However! Did you also know that Obata Takeshi mentored Watsuki Nobuhiro, the creator of Rurouni Kenshin!? :o

And did you know ... that Watsuki Nobuhiro in turn mentored Oda Eiichirō, the creator of One Piece?

It gets better: there's actually a network of these mentor-pupil pairs. Let's see ...

What I find most interesting about this diagram is that Rurouni Kenshin, which predates Hikaru no Go by four years, was created by the pupil of the master-pupil relationship concerning those two works. While Obata had worked on manga before Hikaru no Go, it wasn't until he teamed up with Hotta Yumi to tell the world the story of Shindou Hikaru that he got his big break. Despite this, the young Watsuki Nobuhiro so admired Obata's work that he sought to study under him. Fascinating!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:21 AM   #7087
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Also Eiyuu Senki is translated, which I thought would never happen. I remember it having a translation project a few years ago, but it was C&D'd. Not sure what this has to do with Rance, but I think there's a connection somewhere. Atleast a character on the cover looks like Rance.
I actually picked this up a while back, and it's a pretty good game. Actually cleared the game once, which is more than I can say for the time I tried Rance. Part of that is probably that it has a tutorial-like start to ease in beginners to the genre, part of it is probably that I'm better at tactics than I was, and part of it is probably that I find the subject matter more palatable for various reasons.

The story is really quite deep and there are still things I haven't figured out yet (I imagine I have to actually take over the entire world to get some sort of "True End", rather than just beat [redacted] out of existence). The battle system is also quite intuitive and deep, with various weapon types interacting not only in what they trump, but also in how they fire, compacted on top of LOADS AND LOADS OF CHARACTERS having loads of different stat configurations and special skills, although I still find range-based Cannons to be utterly underwhelming nine times out of ten. It's also got the nice Fate/ bonus of "I wonder what hero represents country X? I wonder what they'll look like? I wonder what traits of their historical life they'll reference?". Sometimes this even carries over into gameplay- I'm not proud of it, but you can subjugate many tribal-esque countries easily by loading up on guns, which is... historically accurate... Yeah. There's also plenty of really charming touches, like the relationships between characters and things like the starting crew actually having to deal with the logistics of ruling empirical swaths of land.

All in all, I'd definately recommend it based on my experiences, especially if you're a bit of a tactics fan (I'm still impressed I've managed to conquer Alexandria before the South Seas this time around). Although, if you're particular about your games having H-scenes, the version I have (to my knowledge, the only one out there) is based off the Playstation version, so half the scenes are missing and the other half are untranslated. I don't feel it detracts much from the story, but it is kinda awkward where there was clearly meant to be a scene and they skip from before the scene to after the scene. But generally the Playstation version tried to replace them with family-friendly scenes, and those are present, so it's generally not as bad as you'd expect (although the lineart for the family friendly CGs was notably done by a somewhat less skilled artist).

And then there's stuff like the protag literally laughing himself unconscious that one time. Good game!
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #7088
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hai to Gensou Grimgar 02

This episode angered me at some points, but after watching the whole thing I feel better about it. There's a bit of frustration at watching total amateurs attempt to kill another living being, they did so in a really painful and incompetent way. I was also annoyed by the guy "Ranta", who is as sexually hyper-charged as he is cowardly and shrill. He's kind of necessary as the other four guys are Type B personalities.

Overall, this anime's direction is a throwback to shows of yester-year, like Mushishi. Lots of static shots of the backgrounds with dialogue, interspaced with intense bursts of action. It's refreshing given anime has been very fast-cut, ADD oriented for the past several years, and most static shots are of characters, not backgrounds.

Ultimately, I like it. The plot is nothing special, but it's simple. It's an enjoyable view.

I'll get to that super hyped show now.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #7089
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kono Subarashii Something Japanese Title

Sorry, I'm buzzed. So I can't be arsed to type the whole thing.

The sub-genre of fiction Re:Monster falls under is called "isekai" (world transition) and this title is just that. Guy dies. Goes to a new world with all his memories + experience. Oh, he's savvy enough to take the aloof cute girl who looked down on him, with him, into the story.

It's duuuuuuuumb!

"This guy's back...he looks so reliable" (BLUSH)

Duuuuuuuuumb!

But I could watch it. It's a good sekai, if you know what I mean.

Episode 02

I like this title.

It's superficially similar to Grimgar, but far more conventional, and to be honest more amusing.

Anyone who has played an RPG with players who don't know how to game the rules - i.e., min/maxing or how to farm EXP - could relate to the utter dysfunction facing the main guy in this title. Aside from the fact he's in an adventure and is supposed to adventure, he'd make a really awesome merchant. And he really should be one. He could be rich and get allll the cute girls.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 01-21-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #7090
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Have I talked about Dragonball Super before? Maybe I have.

Let's talk about Dragonball Super.

The final arc is starting, apparently. The bad dudes have invited the strongest fighters from "other worlds" to fight the strongest fighters in the Z Dimension.

You should recognize them.

-Purple Cell
-Gotenks
-Blue Freiza
-Winnie the Pooh
-Air Man

When's this train gonna wreck? Well, the answer is, it wrecked a long time ago, but this train stops for no one.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #7091
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o (Manga)

Curses, Dopple, I looked up the anime you mentioned out of curiosity of the full name and ended up starting it because of the cute artstyle (the goddess has a reallyyyyy distinct hairstyle too) and ended up marathoning all that's translated because of how funny it was (and I'd read the not-translated part if I could find it)! ;_;
I like how the entire party is a crippling overspecialization given a personality. Mr.Luck aside, there's the one with ridiculously high stats but no good skills, the one with the strongest skill and not a single other one, and the one who invested every skill point into CON.
I also find it cool how it follows the formula of devoting each chapter to a different character- A bunch of substories, if you will- which means there's something interesting each time. "The Path of Explosions" in particular startled me because I felt like I was reading a multi-route VN- All the other heroines are occupied and the hero bonds with and comes to an understanding with one? Familiar. Although, I suppose what that boiled down to was them becoming friends, which is really integral to a party.
Actually, on the note of 'friends', that's been something which has been really refreshing for me about this manga- With the exception of Kazuma-Aqua's cat-dog relationship (I will never get tired of male tsunderes), the entire party feels like just a group of friends. Which is really nice? It's cool that the author realizes you can have fanservice without having the entire cast be after the hero's Dinosaur. Although I'd totally be up for some more romantic development, I get the feeling that Kazuma-Aqua is going to be very-definitely-the-canon-pairing.

Shame the anime sounds much less good. Sounds weird to say this after it's already gotten an anime, but I'd prefer a game based off it rather than an anime. Although I'm not particularly fussed on where it would fall on the RPG-VN scale.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #7092
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Dagashi Kashi
Remember how I said this was my favorite show of the season? I take that back. I take that back hard. The show already became stale after episode 1. I don't get why. I was enamored by it in episode 1, but after that, the show just got annoying. Was Hotaru more outright crazy and less "CANDY JOKES!" in episode 1? That might be it. I'm still going to watch this, since I need something besides Boku Dake to watch. Hotaru makes excellent doujin material though. Very excellent.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #7093
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

So, thunderstorms and shitty net gives me time to watch things that have been both collecting dust and recently filed. レッツゴー!

Non Non Biyori Repeat
*insert Kamen d'awwwwing and enjoying the relaxed pace of the show*

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
*insert all of my what* It's heartwarming though, actually, despite all the bad things I heard about it beforehand from you folks back in yesteryear.

Sacred Seven
*SHINY CRYSTALS*

Seiken no Blacksmith
*insert incoherent screaming from Kamen over the differences between the manga and the anime with the characters*

Dagashi Kashi
*headdesking over wackiness and hunger for candy*
This is basically advertising, yo

Sekkou Boys
S E K K O (U) B O Y S SEKKOU!
(that theme is so catchy why is this so good)

Still need to watch / catch up on:
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

(Remind me to fill these in later)

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.

Last edited by KamenAeons; 01-29-2016 at 08:54 AM.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #7094
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BokuMachi post Ep03 final draft is partially written, but work-related stuff came up again. With respect to Doppel's latest post in the thread, just wanted to say that you guys by all means can and should go ahead and discuss Episode 04 once you've seen it. I will be there before long too. I just need to head out to work now, and only just returned home (from being out previously just now) to fetch something work-related. Like I said, I have the post body all written in note form, but I need to reorganize (and consequently reword) some of the sections, and there's also the uploading of the images (which is like one-third done; all images are already created for uploading though). I know I can make my posts too much effort sometimes but man ... really feelin' it with this story! ;-;
Old 01-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #7095
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Konosuba

Hooooley moooooley

After inai machi, this is the #2 anime of the season. It's actually hysterical. Kin cheated himself out of a lot of fun reading ahead.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #7096
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar

This is. 98%. What I've been longing for someone to make. All this time. <3
The pacing is a bit slow for my tastes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Rather than an anime where you feel like the half-hour zoomed by, it's definitely one where you immerse yourself in it and feel like you've lived a day in the character's shoes. It's lovely! At least, I'm a big fan of it. Can't wait for Ep5~

Phantom World
...I started watching this without realizing it was that anime. orz
Well, it's by the same people as Free!, right? Lots of fanservice to serve as a buffer for the suffering they slip in? Only took until Ep4 for the suffering to roll in! It's not my favorite but, well, it is high fantasy.
Also I appreciate the on-point references to mythology and stuff (THIS IS THE FIRST TIME KNOWING THE ELEMENTAL ORGANS HAS EVER BEEN A BLESSING), to the point I can at least chuckle at the fanservice they manage to produce with it (I AM PRETTY SURE THAT IS NOT WHERE THE LUNGS ARE LOCATED?? ALTHOUGH ADMITTEDLY I'M TERRIBLE AT ORGAN LOCATIONS).

Have I mentioned how much I appreciate the anime/manga scene as a whole sliding back towards a RPG-esque High Fantasy vibe in general? Probably not. I really appreciate it! My aesthetic, to be honest.

Also, apparently that VN where people fly as a sport (with their shoes?) is getting an anime and has an English fan translation deep in progress? Right after I got it in Japanese too... Not that I mind, but... The timing is... Well, it'll likely be my first time watching an anime adaption of a VN after reading the VN, so that should be interesting...?
Quote:
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #7097
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What does "98%" mean? Is that good (presumably yes) or bad?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #7098
Crys

I'd presume that kin's finding it good, from the context clues, anyway.

On the subject of Grimgar: It's starting to pick up the pace. Some heavy shit dropped recently, and this series is doing good so far. I'd recommend watching it this season, to those who haven't tried it already.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #7099
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My biggest complaint with Grimgar is it feels like the plot's going nowhere. It's enjoyable because it's different, but it's almost a show about nothing.

Ranta is also shrill as fudge.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #7100
Crys

Can agree that the plot has been nonexistent up until now. Hopefully this changes with the most recent development.

To anyone currently watching Boku Dake ga Inai Machi: Is it worth adding to the watch list? I've heard positive things about it, but i'm having doubts as to whether I should give it a shot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime