UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #4826
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Managed to get into another argument with my brother about anime (he's the one who loves SAO for god knows why). This time, the topic is that according to him, you shouldn't need to know anything about Japanese culture - and if it's not shown in the anime (love confessions, for example), it didn't happen and all suggestions are pure speculation.

He seems to be hellbent on ignoring who the primary audience of anime are (Japanese people; what did you think, South Africans?). There's a cultural context that is the basis for dialog choices and behavior in anime characters. But does he give a damn, oh no, he chooses to stay ignorant and drive me up the wall.

Cultural references, like religion and pop culture? "I don't need to know what Lupin III is, I haven't lost anything in the animes so far!"

*headdesk* He also refuses to watch anything older than Release Year 2011. Or anything with a drawing style that looks "old" (see Lupin). But somehow he has a thing for harem anime of all things, which throws him far beyond my comprehension.

No, I do not know how I'm related to that person. Either he's adopted or I am. u.u
Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #4827
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

You've pretty much described the modern new anime fan.

I think these people are also why it's no longer acceptable to put honorifics in subs. Atleast I think they are.

Still nothing as far as anime goes. Fire Emblem has me hooked. I've read a bit of Hentai Kamen though.

Hentai Kamen
I've read 9 chapters into this. This is really boring outside of the super hero moments. The first "transformation" was fucking amazing. I love the god damn poses and crazy shit Hentai Kamen does. Though this will probably get old after a while.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 02-28-2013 at 12:06 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #4828
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Eh, fun while it lasts at least, right? Never read it myself, but glad to hear you're enjoying it.

As far as honorifics go, ...

Spoiler: show
I guess I don't really care since I hear them instinctively anyway whether they're translated by the subbers or not. But I guess I'd ultimately vote for preserving them over scrapping them if faced with the question, "Which is better to do for an audience that doesn't know about them?" Ironically, I think it's better to leave them in for the audience who doesn't even know what they mean. And that's because human beings by and large aren't that dumb: they realize that if there's this suffix that follows after everyone's names, it probably connotes something. Bit by bit they notice that the "san" one is the most common, followed by the absence of a suffix altogether, followed by "chan" or "kun". And then they see ones like "sama", "dono", "hime", and so on. And they learn from this basic exposure, even if not the actual meanings of the suffixes themselves, that there is some sort of honor system going on here and certain people are being afforded more respect or less respect according to the usage of suffix. That is, the suffixes inform the viewer at some subconscious level about the social order. Watch enough television and they eventually pick out, "Oh wow! He just called that yakuza boss -chan! That'd be like me asking a mafia boss if he needs me to change his diapey wipey! " But when you completely omit the honorifics "for the sake of the target audience," I think you ironically do them more harm than you did by leaving them in. 'Cause now the audience loses that subtle clue about respect and social hierarchy that, in the Japanese language, is sometimes solely indicated by the honorific. For example, if I say "Tomiko-sama, wait" vs. "Tomiko, wait," right off the bat you have a guess as to the relationship between Tomiko and the speaker. In the former case, it's someone well beneath her social rank and/or who greatly respects and admires her. In the latter case, it's someone who may be quite familiar with her and/or is the same age as her. You lose all of this when you drop them. Now sometimes you can preserve things by translating for culturally appropriate conveyed meaning (e.g. Tomiko-sama becomes Lady Tomiko, so "Lady Tomiko, wait!" or Tomiko-me! becomes "Tomiko, you bitch!"), but it often doesn't work out that way with the most basic three of -san, no honorific at all, and -kun/-chan.

I have a YouTube video to share but I'll put it outside the spoiler box.

A friend once showed me a video by British comedian and social commentator David Mitchell. In this particular video, Mitchell complains about how the BBC is dumbing down children's television by removing references to all things which the broadcast big wigs feel children simply wouldn't get. The basic gist of Mitchell's argument is that if you deny the children exposure to these references in the first place, then how can you ever expect them to become better cultured members of society? But I'll let you watch the video since he can explain his own views for you far better than I can. (Click here for the video.)

I see the issue with "de-Japanifying" anime in much the same way.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #4829
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Do we seriously not have a Madoka thread? You mean to tell me we did all of our discussion of it in this thread? That is pretty ridic!

I was listening to the Madoka OST and trying to figure out which song I like best. Sis Puella Magi has that incredible flute solo, but Credens Justitiam has that sweet ass "celtic chime" at the very end (I don't know how else to describe it). Also of note is the ending theme Magia, which is a dark and gothic song that suits the show perfectly. How appropriate that it didn't start playing until episode 03 (after the shit hit the fan)!

Goddamn, this show was too good! I think a re-watch is in order soon. Speaking of which, has anybody here seen the movie? I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a movie that's just a condensed version of a 12 episode TV series, but hey, if they managed to tell the story better in that way then I'm all for it. It actually played in movie theatres in certain cities in North America. Not mine though, or I would've been there in a heartbeat.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #4830
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I think the time-table really broke the back of any Madoka topic. Talon and I ignored it until it was finished or near-finished, I can't remember which, and charged right through it after that. I think BBB was the only one who saw it weekly. I don't think LBC was a regular here yet, it was a lurk pool of we three and maybe bluejolteon or unownmew.

Ironically, I think Madoka had a pretty big influence on me because that title + Idolm@ster primed me to watch HeartCatch PreCure!, which I probably wouldn't have been as receptive otherwise to. That opened up a whole new avenue of show that's been genuinely awesome, (theoretically) providing some entertainment consistency that was voided by Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's ending in early 2011.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #4831
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Status update on Kotoura and Tamako Market.

Kotoura-san
DROPPED! This has turned into a regular SOL romance/harem (it's not a harem, but it has regular harem humor and events). This started as an 8 to me but has dropped all the way to a 4 as the episodes went by, leaving me dreading every episode almost as much as Sakurasou. The humor is repetitively shoved down my throat to the point to where I want to throw something at the TV screen every time they feel the need to remind us that the main guy is perverted. This had such potential. What the fuck happened?!

Tamako Market
Another show gone bad! Though this was more a meh show lurking into bad territory. It's cute, but that's hardly enough to make me care about it. I haven't dropped it yet, since it doesn't irritate me as much as Kotoura-san.

I've decided to pick up another manga eventually. It's called Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!. God I'm sick of these overly long titles that feel the need to have the main character make a statement about themselves. That's really fucking tacky. Anyway, I saw some art of the main girl, and she seemed like she could make whatever she's in entertaining. Here's an example. Do I have high expectations? Not really, but I'm curious.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #4832
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Ohh, I've been interested in that manga for a while ("It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular"). Let me know what you think. They're making an anime of it soon, too.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #4833
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"No matter how I look at it, you guys are to blame for me being unpopular!" for the longer, more literal title. Mcsweeney's is less of a mouthful though in English which is nice. ^_^;
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #4834
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm pretty familiar with that title because a big chunk of its initial popularity came from 4chan, and I was around to see what happened. The author actually saw the /a/ denizens liking it, then posted on his/her(?) blog about it, that got printed in a magazine, and then the Japanese got interested because of the mutual fascination in what interests other people. That lead to the anime, in a kind of reverse "nice boat." situation with School Days.

The girl is supposedly a "female" proxy for the stereotypical American weeaboo/NEET, except female. But being female, and an average-looking one at that, she has a way better chance of breaking out of her shell than the men do!

Though, I haven't read it for that reason. Too difficult to imagine a female designed to have a weeabo male's thought process. I never gave it a chance though, such is my arrogance. It could be good/great, so fair adventure to ye BBB.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #4835
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've read 10 chapters into it.

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!
From now on, I'm just going to call it "ungodly long title". Anyway, I'm 10 chapters into it. It's actually a really charming and endearing manga. I really like the main girl's attempts to interact with other people, even if it ends up in failure. Though that makes the small wins that much sweeter. Not really a spoiler, but I'm sticking this in here anyway:
There's this one scene under a rainy bus stop where these two boys try to make conversation with her. She tries her best to talk back, but she just comes off as really weird. She ends up falling asleep, and they leave an umbrella for her. They never showed any romantic interest in her, but the fact that they were nice to her despite how creepy she seemed was actually really sweet.

So yeah, so far I really enjoy this.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #4836
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I picked up something called 17-sai Degree Celsius. New manga just started. Reminds me of Tari Tari where there's a "hot" girl, can sing really well, but has some issues.

I say "hot" because the last few pages ended with a fever, and the title interests me. Is "17-sai" like "four score" and refers to a high temperature? However, I think with the twist at the end, things are going to get complicated, fast.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #4837
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not sure that the title is even ordinarily grammatical. 17sai, or 17歳, means 17 years old. Degrees Celsius (℃) is written 度しー doshii. So the title reads "17 years old degrees Celsius." It makes as little sense to me in Japanese as it does in English.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #4838
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I've read 10 chapters into it.

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!
From now on, I'm just going to call it "ungodly long title". Anyway, I'm 10 chapters into it. It's actually a really charming and endearing manga. I really like the main girl's attempts to interact with other people, even if it ends up in failure. Though that makes the small wins that much sweeter. Not really a spoiler, but I'm sticking this in here anyway:
There's this one scene under a rainy bus stop where these two boys try to make conversation with her. She tries her best to talk back, but she just comes off as really weird. She ends up falling asleep, and they leave an umbrella for her. They never showed any romantic interest in her, but the fact that they were nice to her despite how creepy she seemed was actually really sweet.

So yeah, so far I really enjoy this.
I started reading that manga. And so much of it is like my everyday life has been for the past five years (sibling interaction included). Least I'm getting some perspective on how other people feel about my behavior. ^-^;;

In all honesty, it is very educating to me, someone who can't easily put herself in another person's shoes, so to speak.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #4839
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Zetsuen no Tempest episode 20:

Okay, that was SUPER predictable, but amazing nonetheless. Aika is the Mage of Exodus, brilliant. Seeing as the writers always try to disuade you into thinking that Yoshino or Hanemura is the mage of exodus, and seeing how we had explored every possibility of who had killed Aika, EXCEPT the theory that Aika did it herself, it was really quite obvious. But, its what I wanted to see. I didn't expect it to get revealed this soon though. I was expecting it in episode 22, but it was nice to finally get to the point.

Calling: Aika kills herself to cause this whole chain of events seeing as 'The mage of exodus killed Aika', and Aika is the mage of exodus.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #4840
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I read all of the available chapters of Ungodly Long Title. My opinion hasn't really changed. Though it gets a bit more depressing in the more recent chapters. I do kind of hope things turn a bit brighter for the main girl, because they have really hammered her character in the recent chapters. I forgot to mention that this is similar to the first part of Legend of a Strongest Man Kurosawa. So if you didn't like that for whatever reason, then you should stay away from this.

Not much else on my end. I'm starting Persona 3, so once again, video games win over anime. I need to find a new anime to watch though. Either that or stop procrastinating with the VNs I have downloaded.

Also this is cute. I don't know much about the Cinderella Girls characters, but this one has some cute art.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #4841
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Zetsuen no Tempest episode 20:

Okay, that was SUPER predictable, but amazing nonetheless. Aika is the Mage of Exodus, brilliant. Seeing as the writers always try to disuade you into thinking that Yoshino or Hanemura is the mage of exodus, and seeing how we had explored every possibility of who had killed Aika, EXCEPT the theory that Aika did it herself, it was really quite obvious. But, its what I wanted to see. I didn't expect it to get revealed this soon though. I was expecting it in episode 22, but it was nice to finally get to the point.

Calling: Aika kills herself to cause this whole chain of events seeing as 'The mage of exodus killed Aika', and Aika is the mage of exodus.
I knew that was going to happen from the moment
the Mage of Exodus was first mentioned some episodes ago (I think it was when Hakaze was being brought back from the island the first time). It didn't help that when they were theorizing about the MoE in that episode, the fuzzy black/red character had long hair. I have to agree that Aika's suicide is the number one candidate for how this plot's gonna wrap up.

Honestly, I'm GLAD we're getting some serious magic business with Aika now, after loads of "OMG I LOVE YOSHINO *BLUSH*"-Hakaze-episodes. Hakaze was a badass to begin with, and can still be, but whenever Yoshino's involved (AND WHO CAME UP WITH THAT CRAPPY SIDEPLOT?!) she suddenly tries to hit moe-gear. Aika's been my favorite character since Episode 1 though, so I might be slightly biased. The "huge-ass sword from a SMALL STICK WITH NO EFFORT" part only enforced it!

As a blogger I follow said: "Remember when Hakaze wasn’t a pandering character…I don’t either."

Okay, a small update on stuff I'm watching now.

Vividred Operation

Okay, the Internet has dubbed the show "VividButts" for a reason: I haven't seen Strike Witches(?), but apparently Vivid's its spiritual successor with all the ass-shots. (And there's PLENTY.) But I actually watch it for the plot! And henshin sequences and Black Girl (the girls are named after their color-coded hair; Akane, Aoi, etc.). Oh, Black, how I love you.

Yakitate Japan!

Old show, but boy does it have bread. Competetive baking, check! Bread, check! Ridiculous stuff done to bread that apparently makes it delicious as hell? CHECK CHECK CHECK! I'm having fun watching it.

Cuticle Detective Inaba

This thing is growing on me. It's kinda scary. But I laugh far too much watching it every week to really think about it too much. Also singing goat.

Ixion Saga DT

Something makes me watch the new episode every week - I have no idea what it is. Most likely just Fukujun.

Chihayafuru 2

How do people have such a hard time remembering that name? Karuta is still awesome as hell, and the comedy's cranked up this season.

Mondaijitachi

The name is long as hell and apparently translates to something like "problem children are coming into this world, aren't they?". I admit, I didn't care for it much at first, but this show is the true black horse of this season. It's fun, there's a cat, there's a bunnygirl in a bunny girl costume and a loli vampire with a hot woman form. Too bad it's only going to be 10 episodes, unless we get a new season.

Now I am off to share some thoughts about Maouyuu in the proper thread.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #4842
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
I knew that was going to happen from the moment
the Mage of Exodus was first mentioned some episodes ago (I think it was when Hakaze was being brought back from the island the first time). It didn't help that when they were theorizing about the MoE in that episode, the fuzzy black/red character had long hair. I have to agree that Aika's suicide is the number one candidate for how this plot's gonna wrap up.

Honestly, I'm GLAD we're getting some serious magic business with Aika now, after loads of "OMG I LOVE YOSHINO *BLUSH*"-Hakaze-episodes. Hakaze was a badass to begin with, and can still be, but whenever Yoshino's involved (AND WHO CAME UP WITH THAT CRAPPY SIDEPLOT?!) she suddenly tries to hit moe-gear. Aika's been my favorite character since Episode 1 though, so I might be slightly biased. The "huge-ass sword from a SMALL STICK WITH NO EFFORT" part only enforced it!

As a blogger I follow said: "Remember when Hakaze wasn’t a pandering character…I don’t either."
I know I probably shouldn't be enjoying the OMG I LOVE YOSHINO scenes, but they're kind of my guilty pleasure in all of this. Its just really funny. Its not as Japanese as 'I can see your underwear and i'm gonna touch your boobs because i'm a paedophile', but its still comedic romance, and I really like comedic romance. Its more funny that I know that despite her trying to repress her feelings, it wouldn't make a difference even if she didn't because Aika was already dead.

My favourite episode so far has to be the one where Yoshino flipped out and finally showed some emotion. That scene was really powerful.

I wouldn't say Tempest is amazing because I still get lost at times in the ultra-conveluted plot, and I don't think there's much to say about the music, but its impressed me more than I thought it would have first thought.

In other news, I'm starting Monster tonight. See you all in the summer!

Also I'm getting the full Mushishi box-set.

Last edited by Midgeorge; 03-04-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #4843
Char
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Yakitate Japan!

Old show, but boy does it have bread. Competetive baking, check! Bread, check! Ridiculous stuff done to bread that apparently makes it delicious as hell? CHECK CHECK CHECK! I'm having fun watching it.
I enjoyed this manga (and then the anime), especially in the beginning. It got a bit too crazy for me towards the end. :p
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #4844
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I liked Yakitate!! Japan, but they definitely should've wrapped it up after the Monaco arc, when the power levels were at their highest. They disobeyed the shonen Law of Strong Opponent Inflation and had Azuma taking on lame asses like the CMAP boy group. It was hard to get excited for that after he had just finished fighting the Three Bread Kaisers.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #4845
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm definitely interested in It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular. I love depressing stuff like that, because as you said, it makes the small victories that much better. I may wait for more chapters to be released though, I hate to start on unfinished manga (if the author plans to end it anytime soon). I may also wait for the anime version.

God, I would KILL for an anime version of Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa! C'mon Madhouse, get the voice actor for Nangou-san from Akagi and make this happen!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #4846
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yakitate Japan was awesome for me at first. The extreme bread making was amusing, and Kid's one of the best characters out there. Though after the world tournament, it gets really stale and annoying. They really should have ended it after that.

For Ungodly Long Title, the author will likely go through her high school life. We're nearly through her first year at 40 chapters. Also this is monthly, so it'll probably be a few years before it's finished.

Also for whatever reason, an Idolm@ster switch has been pressed in me. I downloaded a batch of albums and have been listening to (mostly Chihaya's) songs. Originally I pushed these off as overly bubbly songs, but some of these are really nice. We even have Chihaya singing the Air opening.

Self reminder. I need to read Ten sometime.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #4847
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
The extreme bread making was amusing...Though after the world tournament, it gets really stale and annoying.
Ohohohohoho!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #4848
McSweeney
Soul Badge

*Patchouli puts on glasses as The Who scream YEAHHHHHHHHHH*

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #4849
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yay, Nightmare Week is over!

Three exams. I got two A's and an F. Now I can get back to what's important!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #4850
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Congrats on the two A's! Aww on the F. ^^;;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime