UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #51
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
So, apparently there is a new Entry Hazard called Sticky Web.

And it lowers speed.

No. Just. No.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #52
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
You don't like change, do you Blaze.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #53
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
You don't like change, do you Blaze.
I don't like a move that allows Breloom to outspeed everything.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #54
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've beaten this game myself, so I guess it's right to give impressions here?

This game was more a cruise than anything. The (HUGE X/Y SPOILER!)
Spoiler: show
gym leaders
were all really easy, requiring little to no strategy. The story had potential to be really good, but if only they elaborated a bit more/spent more time with it. I did really like some of the new features of the game though. One thing that annoyed me is they (DON'T LET THIS SPOILER RUIN YOUR LIFE!)
spammed the fairy type. Most Pokemon who didn't even need it were given the freaking fairy type. That's just dumb.
Finally, there's just not much to do after beating (BIG END OF GAME SPOILER!)
the Elite Four.
I mean, the scene after that was really nice and fulfilling, but otherwise, eeeeh.

This game could have been better. I guess this is what happens when Gamefreak is forced to shove out a game each year. Though admittedly I still enjoyed my ride through this game quite a bit.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #55
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Yeah, I'll second that the story, as pertaining to

the evil team

Could have been fleshed out quite a lot more. There was potential there, but it felt rushed. They're seen more commonly than in any game before, but I think they also had less screentime than any time before. None of their appearances really had that 'badass' feel previous incarnations had, though their endgame wasn't too far off. When I got to

The Leader

I could really feel his motivation, and why he was doing this. But it just wasn't elaborated on enough. It could have been so much stronger if their plot was more drawn out, rather than 'introduction, meh, meh, meh... CLIMAX'. Granted, I can see how they were going for realism what with how the 'big reveal' had to be the catalyst of a 'big reveal' plan, but... Yeah. I think that's one acceptable break from reality they should've kept.

Also, considering what this generation entails

The Legendaries

Weren't as focused on as they should've been. Of course, I expect this to be rectified in Z, so we'll see how it goes.

Also. (Postgame)

GODDAMMIT GAMEFREAK WHERE ARE MY LEGENDARIES?! TROPHY HUNTING IS MY FAVORITE POST-GAME ACTIVITY. CAREFULLY FIGHTING OFF TROVES OF POWERFUL ENEMIES TO EVENTUALLY TAKE ON A NEW AND UNKNOWN BEAST OF UNTOLD POWER... WHERE IS IT. I WANT IT. I WANT MORE THAN 1 POSTGAME NEW LEGENDARY. THANKS.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #56
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
I don't like a move that allows Breloom to outspeed everything.
Oh, please. Flying/Levitating pokemon aren't effected. Rapid Spin or Defog takes care of it. You can put up your _own_ Sticky Web and then everything will be right as rain. And finally the distribution is terrible because the only pokemon who get it are Galvantula, Shuckle, Ariados and Masquerain.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #57
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Sticky Web confirmed for Z Tutor!
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #58
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
So, apparently there is a new Entry Hazard called Sticky Web.

And it lowers speed.

No. Just. No.
Negates Choice Scarf. Is balanced out if both players use it. Doesn't affect flying/levitating Pokemon. Only learned by a handful of Pokemon. Is it really that bad?

And honestly, we all know Pokemon has hit past the point of extreme escalation. To make so much new stuff, they have to keep making new POWERFUL shit to keep it interesting. No one wants a new Tackle or a new Leech Life.

EDIT: Damn you Rangeet.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #59
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

'geet you forgot Smeargle.

But the point is still valid.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #60
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah Stick Web is not going to be that exciting unless they tutor spam it like Electroweb.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #61
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Masquerain 4 OU

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #62
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

If it does see use in OU, I picture that the users who will primarily be used are Smeargle (Moveset of Everything), Galvantula (Offensive Setter), and Shuckle (Defensive Setter).
Quote:
Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #63
Emi

Smeargle and Galvantula are going to be the only ones able to do it. Starmie scares out Shuckle, while Galvantula can preempt with a Thunder.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #64
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Ah, that's true.

Also, am I the only one shocked at the fact the introduced a dedicated TR Multi support pokemon? I was looking up Aromatiss the other day and wat. An ability that makes allies immune to Taunt? Ridic-high HP and Ridic-low Speed? Wellwellwell.
And then Slurpup makes allies immune to Spore but his stats are terribad.

I find it interesting just how much effort GF put into balancing the meta this gen. Last gen had a lot of pokemon introduced with movepools and stats dedicated to do one job, but hopefully do it well (the 'You had one job!' jokes begin here). Although they made an effort to balance the new pokemon, generally by setting them at a low speed tier (Chandelure, Haxorus, anyone?). This gen, however, they instead seem to have planned pokemon and moves out as countering or assisting specific playstyles. Synergy is at an all-time high, and I'm loving it.

On a totally unrelated note, anyone gotten their hands on a Gale Wings Fletchy yet?
Quote:
Old 10-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #65
Red Panda
head head bitch

I got a hasty Gale Wing Fletchling via Wonder Trade but Wonder Traded off, realizing as it was trading that Gale Wing was the ability.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #66
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Another thing that disappointed me about XY was the moves. Besides some of them having stupid names and stupid ideas (Mat Block, Water Shuriken, Trick-or-Treat???), I feel as if not many old Pokemon have received new moves besides Confide which it seems can be learned by everything.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #67
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Water Shuriken is the signature move of a ninja. ;^_^

People need to, you know, check the context of things before coming to assumptions. This happened earlier with Flower Shield.

It's also funny that you say that not many old pokemon got new moves when all I ever hear about is people talking about what moves old 'mon got. :/

You have to remember that we don't even know the new sets of egg moves, nor the level-up moves for most pokemon. Assuming such things is simply baseless conjecture at this point.
Quote:
Old 10-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #68
Emi

Water Shuriken is the shiz.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #69
Red Panda
head head bitch

Had Greninja gotten Skill link or Technician I think it'd be better. Though Mystical Fire is pretty awesome too.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #70
Mercutio
Banned

Actually if you go in to Smogon's research section they're very swiftly amassing all the information on moves.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #71
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda15 View Post
Had Greninja gotten Skill link or Technician I think it'd be better. Though Mystical Fire is pretty awesome too.
Undoubtedly, but its ability to break subs is just amazing. And with five hits you can OHKO Mamoswine through its Sash.

Mystical Fire is crap. Its another Snarl, and Snarl is terrible on all things not Sableye.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #72
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Normally I'd be inclined to agree, but Delphox's spdef and speed are just high enough that I could see her running it. It can certainly give you that one extra turn you need for the KO.

...Though I'm not sure why you'd run Snarl on Sableye.
Quote:
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #73
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
People run offensive moves not named Foul Play on Sableye?
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #74
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Normally I'd be inclined to agree, but Delphox's spdef and speed are just high enough that I could see her running it. It can certainly give you that one extra turn you need for the KO.

...Though I'm not sure why you'd run Snarl on Sableye.
Snarl is pretty legiton Sableye. The idea is that Sableye can cripple physical attackers easily, but special attackers give it trouble.

If you any reason Fire Blast can't KO the opponent, you are still probably screwed.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #75
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

But... Snarl doesn't get priority from Prankster, so you would still be going second. I've heard of Calm Mind, but...

The idea in Mystical Fire is that you get in some decent damage, drop their spatk, laugh as their attack bounces off you, and then go for the KO with Fire Blast. This is of course assuming that you can't normally OHKO them with Fire Blast if you can do that then just do that. But in other instances it's very useful, breaking Sashes at the same time as reducing the foe's damage output. Normally stat-down moves serve as a kind of psudo-phazing, causing your opponent to switch out to negate the debuff so you can't set up on their weakened 'mon. But, as Mystical Fire also deals damage, they don't get off scott-free anymore; It's very much a bulky offense maneuver.
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON