UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Negima! Live Action

I just read about this on ANN. Crazy. I still haven't read the books, but that's mostly been because of a lack of interest in the impossible romantic prospects between a 10 year old boy and his 16 and 17-year old female students. Not a fan of loli, definitely not a fan of shota, so yeah, I've avoided Negima for that reason. But it's remained very popular within the anime community and now it's gotten its own live-action TV show. Before more deserving (?) series like Love Hina or Chobits, here comes the Negima! live action. Let's see how they do.

I'll be particularly interested to see who they cast for the littlest girl of all (the one who's sort of evil, I think?) and Negi himself. Considering he's allegedly Welsh?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Re: Negima! Live Action

Negima! is an amazing manga series! Asuna is 14 or 15 while Negi is 10. Don't let the premise of underaged children all around keep you away from it. It easily matches every SJ series in terms of action starting from Volume 3+ and still keeps close to it's Love Hina roots with the romantic comedy.
NOTE: Negi never actually has a romance with anyone, but all the girls flirt around with him.

Anyway, I don't know how good a live action Negima! would be. While Live Action Sailor Moon was pretty popular, it didn't have a cast of 30 something teenage girls and a ten year old boy.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Everyone says that they need to cast a white guy as Negi, but I know that won't happen. When you consider how most of the Sailor Scouts were either no-name girls from talent agencies or were "just beginning to blossom" teen stars like Keiko Kitagawa, it can only mean that for the 31+ cast of Negima!, they're going to have to hire the most no-name girls ever in order to cut costs. Hiring a little white boy who freakishly happens to speak perfect Japanese and is a great actor is simply out of the question.

Oh, and expect a lot (and I mean a LOT) of Michael J. Fox actresses in this series. By which I mean "Japanese women in their late 20s who are pretending to be Japanese teens." They did it with GTO and Hana Yori Dango and they're going to do it here. "Keep dreaming, lolikons," is all I've got to say. "You're not going to see underaged Japanese girls in this series; they'll be older women posing as underaged girls, and that's the closest you're gonna get."
Old 05-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

I got the news from Yotsuba, since I can't go to ANN anymore. As to the status of J-Drama's Talon is implying, I must say it's impressive to hear Negima! is getting something while LH isn't, since it's HARDLY the series I'd think to be appropriate for one.

@Talon - Just as a warning, while Negima! is indeed hillarious, it flirts at one time or another with every possible sexual fetish imaginable. Yes, even that. But it's still funny.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dude, if they flirt with necro, guro, or scat .................................................. :x
Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #6
Loki

Is sex with a vampire considered necro? No scat or guro though. If it were, Dark Horse would have licensed it and not Del Rey. lol
Old 05-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

She's a True Ancestor so she's not dead, but we have a ghost so technically, there's necro. No guro or scat, though...I don't think Akamatsu is a big proponent of disgusting stuff.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
She's a True Ancestor so she's not dead, but we have a ghost so technically, there's necro.
Well, I don't think that counts as necro unless someone digs up her corpse and fiddles with that. I'm pretty sure necro is defined as sex with a corpse, not anything dead. Vampires and Zombies are walking corpses, so it's questionable, but a ghost is definitely not necro, as it's nothing but an ethereal consciousness.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I wrote something similar to Loki's reply this morning at 11:30am but the post got lost thanks to server traffic overload. The only new thing I really have to add from the original post is, "I should know: I'm a sucker for love stories between a living man/woman and a wonderful woman/man, but I see no sexual merit in necro whatsoever and think anybody who would do it irl is fucking sick. Sex with ghosts? A-Okay by me. In the words of the immortal Peter Venkman, 'Yes, I am the KeyMaster!' ;)"
Old 05-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #10
Loki

Again, I should make it painfully clear that no one has sex with anyone in the manga. There's very few relationships that would be considered more then infatuations. If there are, they haven't been shown. And the level of nudity is about the same as Love Hina. Negi has no thoughts of sex or things of that nature (he is 10 years old). The only time he kisses people are to perform a magic pact or when he got cursed/tricked. Nothing of extreme sexual nature.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I still think it's pseudo-shota.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

>>"I should know: I'm a sucker for love stories between a living man/woman and a wonderful woman/man

There are several great plotlines involving that very sort of thing, especially the semi-tragic (and my utter favourite) Ako arc and anything involving Chachamaru. Negi's also got something going with Evangeline, which is longer and (in my opinion) not as awesome as Ako/Chachamaru but still great.

Chao flirts with Negi on one notable occassion and it made my laugh heartily.

I really dislike Nodoka...she gives me the impression of Shinobu 'copypasta', as does Asuna with Naru and Chizuru with Mutsumi. Of course, Mokoto, Naru and Shinobu's genes are spread amongst a number of girls, but they're especially strong with those three - not surprisingly, they're the least interesting of the characters.

Negi himself strikes me as equally appealing as Keitaro, and the new girls could be considered "the Love Hina girls born too late to be in Love Hina", especially Yue. Oh man, she's awesome.

>>I still think it's pseudo-shota.

*thinks back to Chapter 90*

xD
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 PM   #13
Loki

Class Rep for the pedo-win.