UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #51
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So like, all our lives the Olympics have unfortunately been plagued by crap like this. It's a real shame for Miss Shin Lam but unfortunately past precedent suggests that Hell is sooner to freeze over than the IOC to apologize to her and award her the medal.
In fairness though, the rule by which she'd have gone through on the 5-5 results is something hilariously arbitrary ("last person to have scored a point", if I'm remembering it right, which only really indicates that she was losing up until the latter stages of normal time), and the point that won Heidemann the match would've been not only legit but really quite impressive were everyone not so focussed on the timing controversy (debatably within a second where the typical point probably takes around thirty seconds or more, epee being pretty cagey, and a very nice attack).

Last edited by Concept; 07-31-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #52
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Watched the woman's gymnastics today. The USA really were a cut above the rest, and I never thought I'd enjoy gymnastics as much as it turns out I do. Huh.

It does help that one of the British Team is a made-of-awesome nerdfighter.

But the medals really haven't been coming in for Team GB thus far. I'm still optimistic as a lot of sports we're good at still haven't been played, but yeah, not fun.

Oh and congrats to Phelps and all. That's a record that's going to be hard to beat.

Last edited by Handymankg2; 07-31-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #53
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Ah, I didn't hear about that. But that sort of sounds similar to what happened in the men's gymnastics last night. At the end, it appeared that GB won the silver medal and Japan won bronze. However, Japan appealed their guy's pommel horse score, and ended up getting the silver medal over GB. I had never seen something like that happen before, but apparently there was medal controversy elsewhere too.
Not really the same, as far as I can see. One is a "mistake" being made by the judges, which was deemed an actual mistake, the other a "mistake" being made by... whoever works the clocks in situations like these, which was deemed fair (although why, I have no idea). Although I will say that crediting a dismount as remotely successful when it was clearly a failure is a little silly.

Kept an eye on women's football and men's volleyball because Team GB. Our women's football team is looking solid, I have to say. Didn't watch it all the way through, but I was quite impressed with what I saw. Not that anyone cares about women's football. Men's volleyball was a disappointment, but I think we knew we weren't too likely to get past the groups anyway, and it wasn't an absolutely massive defeat.

I had to switch over from BBC Three soon after, though, as they started covering USA vs. Tunisia in basketball, and every time Durant was mentioned I giggled.

Liking Murray's performance so far in the men's singles; with Nadal out it almost feels like another shot at Wimbledon (although he's got Djokovic in his half this time, IIRC). Tennis players have never really been judged on Olympic medals, but it'd be a nice boost and he really has a shot in 3 sets. His win over Nieminen was fairly straightforward, which is nice. Although Federer totally will get gold...

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #54
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I only caught some of the preliminaries for men's volleyball. It was the USA vs. Germany. Apparently the USA is #1 in the world and Germany is #2? I watched it during lunch for about 15-20 minutes. Really solid performances by both teams, I'd have walked away with a bloody nose and broken fingers from about half of those plays they were so powerful. I haven't seen Great Britain's men's team compete in the sport but watching the USA vs. Germany match it seemed like only one or the other of those two teams was going to inevitably take home the gold. (Just looked it up right now. Apparently we were in Preliminary Group B and we won. We were awarded 3 points for our win, Germany sitting at 0. Tough break. On August 2 it looks like we play Brazil while ze Chermans plays the Serbs. You guys play the Italians. Good luck!)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #55
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Women's team Gymnastics was super stressful. Awesome ending, though, even if I felt SUPER bad for Russia.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #56
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Women's team Gymnastics was super stressful. Awesome ending, though, even if I felt SUPER bad for Russia.
Absolutely. Russia had a few bad moves here and there, like the one girl on the balance beam and the other on the floor exercise. Though Team USA came to play. High scores by everyone in everything. They really earned it, and even though I already knew what was going to happen, I was still on the edge of my seat.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Anyone know where I can watch these after the fact? I figured they'd have an official channel lined up with this stuff on YouTube but I guess the television networks begged/legally bound Google not to? 'Cause when I tried going to what looked like the official London 2012 YouTube page (here) it was just a bunch of shitty little videos with random young adults who didn't appear to be athletes and the occasional odd interview with an athlete here or there, all of it looking like it was filmed before the games began. I guess I had just assumed that in this digital age it'd be quite obvious that they'd stream the events with or without commercials for everyone to enjoy watching online. But apparently not. I guess it's a bandwidth problem. No amount of ads would offset the bandwidth hit of 1.2 billion people trying to access your server all the time for gigs' worth of streaming video data.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #58
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Don't know where you can find stuff that's been and gone, but anything that's happening that day can be found on the BBC website and you can pause and rewind and so on, so that'll let you catch up on anything that happened earlier that day.

In other news, woooo first gold for GB! A clear win too.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Saw the rowing event you "spoiled" us on this morning about half an hour ago. I had heard NBC was delaying things for the American television broadcasting but I figured it'd only be by five hours at the worst. Eight hours is a bit ridiculous. ^_^; Could be worse though: could be like when the Olympics were in Australia or China and everything was television-delayed and internet-spoiled. At least here we have some live events, like (apparently) the US women's indoor volleyball team squaring off against China right now.

EDIT: Said volleyball match just finished. Thoughts.

Spoiler: show
A hard-fought match by both teams. In typical American sports commentator fashion, the NBC commentators described it as a "3-0 sweep"; and while it's true that we won 3 sets to nil, they were all hard-fought sets, especially the first and third ones and especially especially that third one. Really hard-fought sets which could have easily gone the other way in both instances and resulted in the score being 1-2 China's lead right now instead of being the 3-0 American "sweep" that it was.

I always imagine American volleyball players playing in this country and not overseas. It's hard to imagine any of them playing for foreign sports teams, especially ones which don't speak English. Apparently Megan Hodge has played for Italy and currently plays for Poland when she isn't representing her birth nation of the United States; and apparently Destinee Hooker's career has taken her from South Korea and Puerto Rico to Brazil and Russia! When it's football/soccer, it makes sense to me: loads of European footballers play for foreign teams but then represent their home countries when it comes time to play in either the World Cup or the Olympics. But for volleyball, I guess I just never appreciated that the same exact practice was at work. It's so crazy to me to think that these young women about my age, some of them probably younger, are expats living in former Soviet states making livings as professional athletes there. ^^;

Looks like the American women's volleyball team is currently undefeated. We beat South Korea on July 28, Brazil on July 30, and China today. We play Serbia on August 3 and Turkey on August 5. Then the quarterfinals begin on August 7. It'll be interesting to see if China can claw their way back to join America in the quarterfinals and get a revenge match somewhere along the line. Given how tough they were for the American ladies to beat today, I don't know whether to be thrilled at the prospect of such a matchup for them or terrified.

Last edited by Talon87; 08-01-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #60
phoopes
Double Dragon

I just saw what was probably the most disgusting act of shoddy officiating in a while.

I turned on some Olympic boxing on a whim, and caught the end of a fight between a guy from Azerbaijan and a Japanese guy. In the final round, the guy from Japan knocked down his opponent with a punch. This would normally call for the usual count to ten. However, the referee didn't initiate a count, instead telling the Azerbaijan guy to stand up. He did, and the match continued. This happened about ten times during the final round, sometimes the Azerbaijan guy falling over after hardly being touched. My thought was that he was injured. At any rate, it was clear that the ref was screwing over the Japanese boxer by not issuing the count when he knocked down the guy from Azerbaijan.

The announcers wholeheartedly agreed with me, haha. Anyway, what made this even more shocking for me was that the Azerbaijan boxer won the fight. This was clearly some dodgy officiating by the ref, and I feel that he should be disqualified immediately. Can't find a video of it yet, but I'm sure that there will be one soon.

EDIT: Apparently there was a major issue in one other match today. One just finished, but I missed it because I was eating dinner.

EDIT2: Didn't see it, and couldn't find a video of it, so I'll just quote a short little piece I found on the second match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Christ of badlefthook.com
Jose Larduet (Cuba) vs Ali Mazaheri (Iran) via DQ-2: And right back to the shoddy officiating. This was almost as ridiculous as the Azerbaijan-Japan disgrace in the bantamweight session. Larduet was docked in round one, then in round two, Mazaheri couldn't do anything without being warned, and on the third warning, he was disqualified. It was absolutely absurd, and these two shoddy, shady happenings this afternoon are exactly why Olympic boxing has a bad reputation. For four days, we got by without much happening. Now we've got a disaster this afternoon. I sort of warned about this the other day, but somehow it's still surprising that things like this just happen. To Mazaheri's credit -- and this will surely get him in trouble with AIBA -- he refused to stand by the referee for the official decision at first. After waiting a moment, he went over and shook the hands of the Cuban corner. Then he left to cheers. Good for him.

Last edited by phoopes; 08-01-2012 at 05:56 PM.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sounds like the Roy Jones, Jr. incident I mentioned yesterday. If 1988's any indication, the IOC won't award the Japanese guy the medal even if they agree the ref cheated and they fire him. So yeah, the Japanese guy's most likely screwed.

One has to imagine how much money that referee was offered and whether he'll ever actually see 1% of it or not.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #62
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Boxing in general has always been dodgy, but the corruption is really plain to see right now all around. In pro boxing a month or so ago Manny Pacquiao was defeated by Timothy Bradley in what was called a fixed match, where Pacquiao dominated for most of the fight until the later rounds but was defeated by a close margin. Allegedly, it shouldn't have been close at all.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #63
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Man, channel nine coverage of the olympics just hit a new low. The favorite for the 100 meter freestyle, James Magnussen, lost his race by a hundredth of a second and immediately after he hoists himself out of the pool they have a microphone in his face and just start asking him the most brutal questions. The sort of questions that are rough even when you've had some time for the shock to subside, but they just went after him. Now I feel bad for rooting against him so they wouldn't just be showing replays of his race all day, so harsh.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #64
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to hen da man
Yeah channel 9 is getting worse and worse, I have FOXTEL though so I can watch other stuff rather than microphones being stuffed into faces. :P

Daisy is just the best for making the battlecut!

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

edit: also any kids reading this dont drink it fucks u pyour brannreal bad
hen da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #65
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

If you can watch things other than swimming you are the envy of all Australians.

Thank goodness I have internet TV.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #66
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Hahaha, yeah I have 8 sports at a time to choose from, comes in handy actually :P

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #67
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Oh Australia.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #68
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
>Naughty and Nice Korea
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #69
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
...that is fantastic. Better than the debacle when S. Korea's flag was shown instead of N. Korea's.

Which I think is excusable - I was shocked to learn that N. Korea was actually acknowledging the outside world's existance myself.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #70
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Just went down the shop and saw the front page of some of the papers - the bigger tabloids (Sun, Mirror, Daily Mail, etc) all have suitably "WE ARE THE BEST EVER WE GOT TWO GOLDS YESTERDAY FUCK YEAH BRITAIN IS THE BEST" jingoist headlines after we managed to drag ourselves up to the heady heights of ... eleventh place.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #71
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
A British guy just won gold in shooting.

EDIT: And another gold in canoe slalom.

Last edited by Tyranidos; 08-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Tyranidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #72
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Awesome, I think those two bump us up to fifth place. Just ahead of naughty Korea.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Q: How can you tell which one's Nice Korea and which one's Naughty Korea?
A: Nice Korea has a seoul.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #74
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

har har har

Also just watched the end of Women's Individual. I was rooting for Mexico, but tbh, after being so close, I was kinda happy that Korea won. The Gold seemed to matter more to Korea and Mexico was just happy to be there. Wonderful outcome.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #75
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Wait wait wait wait, did that actually say Nice Korea and Naughty Korea? lol

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc