UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 11-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #3876
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've wondered lately why I've found myself strangely aroused by Skye from Paw Patrol.

Am I a furry?

Have I finally gone past the point of no return?

Now with zettai ryouiki...

Conclusion...I'm not there yet.

But dang is this subliminal or what?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #3877
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That gallery BBB showed me has convinced me that black folks are blessed, and I feel bad I wasn't born black.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #3878
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
The Friendzoned (Parody of The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe)
Spoiler: show
“Nice guy!” said I, “Total dildo–nice guy still if nerd or dudebro,
Whether reddit sent, or whether romcoms tossed thee here ashore,
Barely known yet still entitled, holding now your Tom Waits vinyl,
Begging me for something primal, tell me truly, I implore
Is this–is this shit for fucking real? Tell me, tell me, I implore!
Quoth the friendzoned, “Fucking whore.”

“Nice guy!” said I, “Total dildo–nice guy still if nerd or dudebro,
By the mores that you abuse thus, by those films we both adore,
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, by stalking me through Facebook,
You have gained a twisted outlook of whom those tropes are for,
Paint a rare and radiant dream girl whilst you remain a bore,

“Be that slur our sign of parting, creep or douche!” I shrieked, upstarting,
“Get thee back to lonely anguish and your friend’s used comic store!
Leave no white rose as a token of the lust you claim heartbroken,
Leave my scathing words to soak in! Quit the name calling of ‘whore’,
When you lust for every girl, but when they say nay they are whores!

And the friendzoned, never scoring, still imploring, still imploring,
On some fetid old subreddit for a girl who will adore
The nicer guys and not the “douchebags”, unaware that it’s a red flag
To be his soulmate o'er him learning they both like the movie Thor
To fuck him for being nerdy even though he is a bore,
Then she says no–fucking whore.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #3879
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

BORKED

I was shown this clip unexpectedly this morning and now i am sobbing uncontrollably and need everyone else to be just as sad as me
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #3880
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

https://www.nowlookatthis.net
Old 12-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #3881
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

RIP Japan's birthrate.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #3882
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The video is one part embarrassing to watch and one part I'm embarrassed to admit it but awwwww ... But like ... The problem I have with this and most imaginary girlfriends/wives is, you know it's fake. You know it's just a fancy alarm clock/thermostat/timed lights system all-in-one. You know it's just a hologram whose soundbytes are all pre-recorded, not organically generated. You know there's nothing near an android level of A.I. here. This isn't a Chobit or a Lt.Cmdr. Data. This isn't a robot wife with human equivalence. This is just a hologram Siri.

When he says it's nice to have someone at home waiting for you ... This is true! But a pet or a real spouse would fill that void. Not a Clap On light switch. If anything, I feel like this would only make me feel more lonely.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #3883
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah it's like two parts pathetic, one part sympathetic.

Eventually, though, we'll be getting to the point of a Chobit. Heck it's 2017 and where's my Sora Akanegasaki! We already have terabyte discs, she should be possible, dangit.

Here's probably the most depressing part. In Chobits, a persocom was pretty expensive. But given the trajectory of the real world, it's highly likely even a Chobit-tier robot waifu is going to end up cheaper than a real wife.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #3884
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Here's probably the most depressing part. In Chobits, a persocom was pretty expensive. But given the trajectory of the real world, it's highly likely even a Chobit-tier robot waifu is going to end up cheaper than a real wife.
A Chobit is capable of working a job. Just about any job a human adult male could work. By the time we're capable of making Chobit-grade androids, humanity will have already been forced to confront, and answer, the problem of living incomes and employment in a robot-filled world. We're already talking about every trucker in America being out of work inside of 30 years and Honda still can't get Asimo to go up the stairs 100 times out of 100. We're a ways off yet from Chobits (sadly ), but by the time we get there, I don't know what the "cost" of having a wife or of having an android with advanced A.I. will even mean.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:48 AM   #3885
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

There are a surprising number of similarities between the anime universe of Madoka Magica and our current economic system. I didn't just make this up, I've been thinking about it for a few months now. After sufficient time, I have made this completely up and even wrote a log line and story beats in case any aspiring script writers are interested in making an adaptation based on the idea. Here goes the theory... First, the pun between a soul gem bearing magical girl and a singularly owned sole-proprietorship seems overly obvious, but it's just the tip of the iceberg for everything about the show being analogous to some economic feature or system. There is the feeding cycle between pedestrian consumers, witch corporations, and a magical girl sole-proprietorship; where people feed witches their money, defeated witches rejuvenate magical girls' spent assets, and occasionally a magical girl that loses faith in her cause becomes corrupted and incorporates into a publicly traded C-Corp... I mean, she transforms into a soulless witch. Let's delve deeper into the contracts formed between incubators (QBs) and the magical girls (private, entrepreneurial citizens). There is nothing in a contract that obligates a magical girl to become a witch, it's simply the logical outcome of an indefinite period where specific circumstances will cause her to transform. This is similarly not a guaranteed requirement in the real world either. Indeed, Homura not only survived an indefinite number of iterations of her one month with Madoka and the others, she even proves that one need not ever transform based on her staying a magical girl past the end of the show (until the QBs forced her into a hopeless prison for the movie). The show had some natural deux ex machina law that required magical girls to transform, and reality could go in that direction too with specific circumstances. Let's say that a small business is failing and has a lot of debtors. Courts can seize the company (the owner's assets) and distribute either assets or revenues to debtors to settle the debt. If there is a single debtor, such as a bank, or is a single debtor with enough capital to buy out the others in exchange for exclusive control, such as a bank, then that debtor has total control to how the company ends its existence; which could include being sold to a venture capitalist, being incorporated and being sold via stock offering, or simply being liquidated for cash. Most banks will liquidate assets and hope to cover losses, but a savvy bank might invest in a freshly failed venture just to sell it on the stock market as a publicly traded corporation. Example: Warren Buffet's first business acquisition was an insurance company, and he bought it specifically because it had a high asset to debt ratio that he could leverage for other investments without breaking any laws. Any bank with a similar strategy might even write specific clauses to trigger this situation into their loan agreements; say for a certain asset to debt ratio or requiring minimum valuation to retain autonomy. The suspension in disbelief for this theory to work is that some bank out there would actually adopt the policy of investing in failure for hopes of a successful IPO. Failing that suspension of disbelief, we can still acknowledge that this could happen, even if we doubt that it would happen. The fights between witches and magical girls is beautifully illustrated on screen, but all that magical flash could also just be an abstraction for the negotiations between businesses during a merger. This is especially relevant for a hostile take over. Let's say that a magical girl's sole-proprietorship wants to eliminate a witch's corporation from her city. The girl might try to buy out the corporation's stock or all the local franchises if she has a large enough magical bankroll to finance such an attack. She may also sabotage relations with vendors that the witch needs to operate by buying all the local stock or negotiating prices with those vendors to make corporate activities unfeasible. Introducing a competing product is an obvious strategy too, as would introducing an alternative product that obviates the corporate product line entirely. All of those activities are going to be expensive, and both magical girls and small businesses have a limited reserve for waging such a battle. But if she wins against the witch, and merges the ownership/market to exclusively herself, then the corporation's assets can be utilized or liquidated to replace the resources spent. When Homura defeated Charlotte after Mami's failure, she refused to give the witch seed to Sayaka and Madoka; which makes perfect sense if you envision an equivalent scenario where a purchased corporation is being asked to be given to lay persons that have no demonstrated business skills themselves. Finally I draw attention to the heat death of the universe. The ticking clock that spells eventual doom for some later generation in the future. To say it slightly differently, let me introduce you to the national debt, a ticking clock that spells eventual ruin for some generation in the future. QB openly benefits from the energy released when a regular girl becomes a magical girl and whenever a witch is defeated then fed to him; but he also benefits from the much more profitable scenario of a magical girl transforming into a witch. Banks benefit when you park a large volume of cash into their reserves for regular business activities, for reasons that aren't relevant to this theory. But it very relevantly benefits from your regular payments on any loans you've drawn, loans which will be especially high if you're in the business of putting other businesses out of business. However, a bank could make the ultimate profit if it takes a nearly default company and sells it at an Initial Public Offering (IPO). This is where we get the best parallel between fictional story and real world events. Not only is that the transformation between both magical girls and witches, but also between singularly owned businesses and publicly traded corporations. Furthermore, Because all banks with US dollars purchase their dollars from the Federal Reserve (name is a misnomer, it is not a government entity), they directly owe the debt to the FedRes. So for as much as it is in the public interest to lower the national debt, it is a much greater prerogative for banks to control the expansion and possible contraction of the national debt. QB sees that Madoka has potential to be a successful business owner. But he sees even greater potential from an IPO that will necessarily happen sooner or later. What do you think? Have I been studying for my economics finals too long and I need to watch more anime instead; or am I an idiot for taking both Micro and Macro at the same time because "elective credits are always easy classes"? OR Is this an amazing theory that warrants re-watching the classic anime from a fresh perspective, because I'm so on point with my analysis?
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #3886
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #3887
phoopes
Double Dragon

why does this work so well???
Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #3888
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Someone posted a collection of WikiHow images for laughs, and oh my god I am crying laughing at this one:

OH MY GOD, THEY JUST LOOK SO EVIIIIILLLLLLLL! ESPECIALLY THE CHIIIILD! *CRYING LAUGHING*

I've cried at least a good four to five tablespoons worth of tears so far, just CRYING at the user comments pertaining to this one. (Which is a good 15-20% of them! EVERYONE TOOK NOTICE OF THIS ONE!) Oh my god, I've been laughing for like the past three minutes ... Christ ...
Old 01-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #3889
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
You guys try too hard

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 AM   #3890
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 AM   #3891
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED
(link)

This is amazing. She's so adorable yet nuts! It just gets better and better.

BONUS: Check out this ghost prank featuring the same lady, Kaneda Tomoko!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #3892
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was like, "money field...?" and got it miliseconds before the panel did.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-18-2017, 01:10 AM   #3893
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...t-novel-titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyRoll
In the wake of the release of the impressively titled

"Nuiage! Nugashite? Kise kaeru! ! Kanojo ga kōkō debut ni shippai shite hikikomori to kashita no de, ore ga seishun (fashion) o coordinate suru koto ni.",

there has been backlash from Chinese translators and book dealers who are finding the ever increasing title lengths counterproductive in a variety of ways.

At 68 characters long, the new title is the longest yet for a light novel -- and causing problems both at home and overseas. It's been pointed out that the longer the title is, the more difficult the book becomes to catalog in a database, where space is at a premium. With a 68-character-long title, there may end up not even being room for a description of the book... which is a big problem if it's a new release that needs extra information added to its entry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
[the title] translates as: "Sew it up! Take it off? Change your clothes!! Because my girlfriend failed at her high school debut and became a shut-in, I decided to become a youth-fashion coordinator."
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-18-2017, 01:53 AM   #3894
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hahahahahaha

Good.

They need to knock it off with these titles. It was neat when the first person did it. It was cute when the first person to make a sillily long one did it. It quit being funny five years ago.

Imagine if the following books were named like these light novels are:

Dr. Zhivago
o It Doesn't Matter That My Lover's A Mistress And I'm Married To My Foster Sister

Brave New World
o I Couldn't Make Become An Alpha So I Became A Runaway Instead

Animal Farm
o My Marxist Experiment Can't Possibly Be This Animal-Filled!

The Last of the Mohicans
o It's the Redcoats' Fault My Tribe Is This Wiped Out!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #3895
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Hahahahahaha

Good.

They need to knock it off with these titles. It was neat when the first person did it. It was cute when the first person to make a sillily long one did it. It quit being funny five years ago.

Imagine if the following books were named like these light novels are:

Dr. Zhivago
o It Doesn't Matter That My Lover's A Mistress And I'm Married To My Foster Sister

Brave New World
o I Couldn't Make Become An Alpha So I Became A Runaway Instead

Animal Farm
o My Marxist Experiment Can't Possibly Be This Animal-Filled!

The Last of the Mohicans
o It's the Redcoats' Fault My Tribe Is This Wiped Out!

Japan tends to have a pastiche-embracing culture, which facilitates the spread of trends like this. If an idea is successfully, it will be superficially imitated without understanding of the original intent for no other reason than the original was successful.

Haganai, Oreimo, were part of the in-joke use of the long title. Those shows had actual meat of debatable quality behind their titles. Nuinaga is a legit amateur's appropriation of the idea as a means of standing out - but there's also nothing to the story beyond the ungodly long name.

That said, it's not like America doesn't do this either.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #3896
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Oh it's a Japan titling thing.

I thought it was Clickbait Literature.

>You Won't Believe How Many Days This Guy Took to Travel Around the World
>This Hot Guy's Picture will Freak You Out
>2 Reasons Why This Victorian Society Will Never Get Along
>This Guy Married a Woman with a Daughter Named Dolores: What He Calls Her is Just Adorable
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #3897
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
>This Guy Married a Woman with a Daughter Named Dolores: What He Calls Her is Just Adorable
I'm legitimately curious about this one
Old 01-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #3898
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

You and the FBI both, my friend.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #3899
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

A series of remixes of Richard Spencer being punched in the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #3900
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
*claps*