UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #101
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

I dun see much beyond a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of GO players who've only experienced the series on mobile plopping down $300 for a Switch and $60(?) for these games. This move seems very misguided. I think Nintendo still doesn't get mobile gamers. They hit big with GO and FE but their other mobile stuffs quietly faded away. An this'll be another failed attempt to get at mobile gamers. However with Nintendo abandoning cheap handheld gaming they gotta try something. Won't be surprised if Gen 8 sales suffer due to pricing even if Switch does drop by then. There's still that huge difference between $40 games an $60 ones.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #102
Lady Kuno
Sad times are just times that are sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Spoiler: show
There wasn't held items in the original Gen I games
This is a weird critism to hear because

A) FRLG had held items
B) This game is going to have the new types, the retcon type changes, and alola forms as well.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #103
Emi
>tfw Mirror Force

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
No I get you but it doesn't make the game play itself. Obviously Gen I didn't play itself without hold items.

The rest of your complaints on that point are 100% valid though.

Fuck these crabs
Emi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #104
Lady Kuno
Sad times are just times that are sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
No I get you but it doesn't make the game play itself. Obviously Gen I didn't play itself without hold items.

The rest of your complaints on that point are 100% valid though.
Ahh the playing itself comment was that combined with the exp share (which has been confirmed you can turn off) and forcing you to use certain types to enter gyms. You dont fight in wild battles anymore, they got rid of held items, and they hold your hand in gyms like.. what the heck? I want to be optimistic here but they're not giving me anything to work with. Like what the heck is going to happen when you go to the e4?

Overworld Pokemon still has the potential to be cool depending on how that works but.. overworld Pokemon should be a thing in a real open world Pokemon game, not having them confimed to tiny grass on sealed off routes.
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #105
Talon87
Nebby. Back into the bag.

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
"I'm the furthest thing from a hardcore gamer as you can get and even I think that if catching Pokemon in the main games is too hard for you, you're simply too stupid to play video games."

So apparently there was a recent Famitsu interview with Junichi Masuda, in which Masuda divulged that he believes the classic catching mechanics might be too difficult for some players -- and that this is partly the reason why LGPE has opted for Go-style capture mechanics over the traditional formula. Apparently "this was a controversial decision even at Game Freak, but Masuda says that as he is the director it's 'his responsibility'."

... Well.

You might imagine the reactions this news is generating online. Serebii Joe's Twitter feed is flooded with criticisms. Reddit is flipping tables. News sites like this one are getting mostly critical replies. Bulbagarden appears to be calmer than most places. And we're a graveyard. But hey, a sample of the responses I've come upon:

"Catching was always part of the challenge... where's the thrill without the hunt? Just going to give every new player a diploma and a pat on the back for figuring out how to open the game?"

"I was about to argue that it's okay to let people struggle a little to figure things out, but then I remembered that this mechanic was perfectly spelled out for you even 20 years ago in the only handholdy part of RBY that everyone skipped anyways so the fuck is even the point of giving this nonsense the time of day"

"I'm speechless."

"Most of us played the original games when we were kids, how is it we played these games just fine as kids and now they have to be dumbed down for today's generation?"

"Oookay... So I usually try to stay on the positive side of the Pokemon fandom... but I think Masuda has lost touch with the core Pokemon players and actually have no idea what they think. Not just this instance, but he keeps calling Pokemon too complex or hard and simplifying it. WhY?!?!?!"

"So how did tens of millions of 90's kids get on with it just fine? I'm lost."

"I have no idea why Game Freak continues to act like kids nowadays dislike games that they'll have difficulty mastering straight away. The biggest games for kids this decade have been Minecraft, Fortnite, and perhaps GTA V (despite the rating). Minecraft offered practically no instruction to help new players and became one of the biggest games of all time, Fortnite has a strong community of skilled players, and GTA is GTA."

"I feel like they assume all kids nowadays will jump ship if they fail anything once."

But there is at least one ray of sunshine, one spot of good news: Shota Kageyama is slated to return as LGPE's lead musician. This is pretty phenomenal news in my opinion -- in fact, if I'm disappointed by this news at all it's because I'm worried it means his being in charge of LGPE's music means he's not in charge of Gen 8's! But oh well. In case you don't remember who Kageyama Shouta is, click here to rediscover his contributions to Pokémon's musical repertoire.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #106
Missingno. Master
Poison-type Trainer

Apparently a better translation of that interview is out, and it comes off a lot less insane.

https://nintendoeverything.com/pokem...echanics-more/

My Shiny Pokémon (not up for trade, I don't do requests for Shiny banners or recolored Pokken artwork). FB team banners like the one above, however, those I do requests for.
Missingno. Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:29 AM   #107
Talon87
Nebby. Back into the bag.

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Thanks for that. I kept looking for a raw to be linked in the discussions I pored over, but nothing ever surfaced. Would be nice to see the interview in its raw, original form so we can see how nuanced or clear the language is, but honestly this is probably good enough.

A good quote from the article MM linked:

"Masuda: It was a daunting task we took upon ourselves, for sure. There was considerable debate within the team concerning the absence of wild Pokemon battles. Up until this point I had been steadfast in defending the mechanic as the series director; this time, though, I felt like we should try to change things up a bit. Personally, I’ve always felt that the weakening and capturing mechanic is a bit like fishing – there are people that aren’t fans of that kind of strategy, though. To that end – as I mentioned before – I wanted to make these games more enjoyable for a wider audience of fans. As such, we simplified the mechanics. Until now, catching Pokemon has been vaguely reminiscent of fishing, whereas I’d liken the new mechanic to catching bugs with a net. I have to wonder if people will enjoy that sort of straightforward mechanic more so than the previous mechanic."

While this version of the quote corroborates the notion that the team is split on whether to preserve the original capture mechanic or try something new, what's different here is that Masuda is clearly enshrined as one of the OG defenders of the tried 'n' true -- until LGPE, whereupon he decided to finally let the other faction have their chance at a new mechanic. At least, that's the narrative presented here.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News