UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Waterslides inside hotels

So I was looking for hotels in Atlanta, and I expressed my dismay to Morg over Steam that I had a hard time finding a hotel with a waterslide. He seemed puzzled by my unreasonable demand, and said that he had never in his life seen a hotel with a waterslide in it. This surprised me, and I wondered if hotel waterslides are a uniquely Canadian phenomenon. When I was a kid, even when we traveled to crappy little cities like Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Regina, and Medicine Hat, we always got a hotel with a waterslide in it. Even my home town of 15,000 population had one. Another possibility is that hotel waterslides aren't a Canadian thing, but an 80s and 90s thing. I haven't had to stay in a hotel in Canada for over a decade now, so for all I know they're gone now. Maybe back in the day, hotels were more obligated to provide outlandish entertainment for their guests, whereas nowadays people just want to sit inside their rooms and use the free wi-fi to browse the Internet.

In this thread: state your location and whether the idea of a waterslide inside of a hotel is an alien concept or not.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Never seen or heard of this before. Been to a few random hotels across the country, but not really enough to be an expert on this thing.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've been to hotels, motels, and inns across the United States, continuously since the early '90s.

I have never seen, heard, imagined, or ridden on a waterslide at one.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Living in Canada Quebec and have traveled around the province often (and nearby provinces like Ontario and N-B), and I've never seen (even in the late 80s/early 90s) hotels with a waterslide. To be fair, I only stayed in Holiday Inns and similar hotels of that price range, so a waterslide or even just a pool was/is too much of a big luxury for them.

I've heard of them though, albeit very vaguely and feels like its more something for a 4 or 5-star hotel to have.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr

Last edited by OkikuMew; 09-12-2013 at 07:57 AM.
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Waterslides in hotels?: Absolutely. A Holiday Inn near where I lived had three that you could see the pipes for from outdoors. A different hotel was the location my friend's little brother chose for his 15th birthday party, and it was chosen specifically for its indoor waterpark, although as far as I can remember it did not have any waterslides. That's the thing: many American hotels offer a swimming pool, but not nearly as many offer waterslides with them. But anyway, yes, I'm definitely acquainted with the idea of a hotel with waterslides.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
deh74
Noted homosexual

I am not familiar with those in Boston

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just found this for you, Mcsweeney. I can tell you exactly where this Best Western is -- right off of US-26 in Lafayette. (Lord knows how many times I've driven past it. Even been there for events two or three times! Never knew they had an indoor waterpark though, though it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I have no idea why every other UPNer is acting like waterparks and hotels don't mix.) Hope you enjoy the YouTube video.

Basically, it sounds like the East Coast (NYC for Kuno, Boston for Morg and deh) just fails at hotels. ;P
Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I think a hotel would have to apply for a water park license to get a water slide and that's not likely in NYC.

EDIT: Great Wolf Lodge in PA is a hotel with a water park inside it. That's East Coast.

Last edited by Loki; 09-12-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
deh74
Noted homosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Just found this for you, Mcsweeney. I can tell you exactly where this Best Western is -- right off of US-26 in Lafayette. (Lord knows how many times I've driven past it. Even been there for events two or three times! Never knew they had an indoor waterpark though, though it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I have no idea why every other UPNer is acting like waterparks and hotels don't mix.) Hope you enjoy the YouTube video.

Basically, it sounds like the East Coast (NYC for Kuno, Boston for Morg and deh) just fails at hotels. ;P
I personally think that hotels with waterslides or stuff like that only belong in areas that are massive tourist traps or those hotels have very little class.

PASBL

Old 09-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I've never been to or seen a hotel with an indoor waterpark, but the concept isn't a strange one to me, and it's likely that the ones I've seen simply lack them because there's typically already a place dedicated to such things nearby. Supply and demand and suchforth.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Red Panda
head head bitch

No local hotels have water parks/slides. I've been to one with a water slide? so it isn't unheard of, just not usual. That place would be the Great Escape Lodge in Lake George NY. Memories.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
In my town there is a hotel which I think owns a seperate water park really close to the premises called Coco Key.

Oh wait nvm, they have a website.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Just found this for you, Mcsweeney.
Aww man, that's it? Those little red slides? That's not even a real waterslide. I'm talking about a big ol' half pipe that goes down and all around!

I feel sorry for you all, having such awful childhoods and not knowing the joy of waterslides inside of hotels. I just looked up the Imperial 400 Hotel in my hometown. It was bought by a new company, and the waterslide is gone now. It sounds like hotel waterslides were a peculiar, Western Canadian phenomenon in the 80s and 90s. To prove to you all that I wasn't just hallucinating hotel waterslides as a child ...

http://www.medhatlodge.com/family-a-leisure/waterpark

The Medicine Hat Lodge is still standing after all these years, waterslide intact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
I personally think that hotels with waterslides or stuff like that only belong in areas that are massive tourist traps or those hotels have very little class.

"those hotels have very little class" I guess that explains why I always saw them in backwater towns in Saskatchewan and Alberta l0l

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #14
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I wish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Never mind, my hometown still has the hotel waterslide after all. It really must be a feature of backwater farm cities with no other entertainment. Anyone here from Wisconsin? Saskatchewan is like the Canadian equivalent of that. Alberta, where I am now, is like the Texas of Canada.

Saskatchewan = old farmers
Alberta = oil money, conservatism, cowboy hat wearing, pickup truck driving, rodeo going to rednecks

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 09-13-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Mage
Pokemon Trainer

Sweeney, go to Las Vegas. You might have to pay an outrageous sum, but there are waterslides in hotels.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Las Vegas doesn't really count though because they also have roller coasters and boat canals in hotels.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 10-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Mage
Pokemon Trainer

You didn't specify that it had to be an unusual attraction for the area...
I mean, waterslides tend to be a feature of luxury resort hotels where there are swimming pools, like in Hawaii or Palm Springs, but they don't really go through the interior of the hotel.
If you meant that the waterslide had to be somehow outstanding for the location, then yeah you're likely to only find them in Canada or maybe another cold climate country where the swimming pools are likely to be indoors. Maybe in Finland.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
You didn't specify that it had to be an unusual attraction for the area...
I mean, waterslides tend to be a feature of luxury resort hotels where there are swimming pools, like in Hawaii or Palm Springs, but they don't really go through the interior of the hotel.
If you meant that the waterslide had to be somehow outstanding for the location, then yeah you're likely to only find them in Canada or maybe another cold climate country where the swimming pools are likely to be indoors. Maybe in Finland.
Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu didn't read all the posts in the thread, did you? ^^;
Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
EDIT: Great Wolf Lodge in PA is a hotel with a water park inside it. That's East Coast.
I live in PA, and this is the only hotel I had ever heard of with anything more than a swimming pool and hot tub, though I've never been there myself. Cool that Canada has water slides, nothing that I've ever been too has had one.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
deh74
Noted homosexual

My opinions on water slides at hotels has changed since last time.

I still think it's a little weird for them to be inside in Northern locations but I would love it I were to go to Florida and there was an outdoor water slide at my hotel.

PASBL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc