UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #551
lilbluecorsola
'Till we meet again

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
So what's going on between these two? Is there attraction? I can't really tell through the censored dialogue...would help if I had the original Japanese to look at. But, Locke clearly has his obligations to Ms. Dead Body in Kohlingen. I also think that the swoon is more from Celes toward Locke than the other way around. He was spending most of his time trying to atone - from his perspective he can't do enough. But from Celes' POV, Locke has been her knight in shining armour.

Ultimately, I think the story has gotten a lot better since Scooby Doo opened the chest of demons. It's moved out of cringeworthy territory and into an "interesting" borough.
Locke and Celes definitely have the best chemistry. (Although Edgar is bae. <3 *shot*) The story overall does take a huge shift in the second part, and kinda goes the "VN" route of letting you choose which characters' paths to focus on. They might not be anything novel nowadays, but I think what it comes down to is that for many people, it was their first exposure to these kinds of tales/tropes. I know Locke's "treasure hunter" persona heavily influenced a lot of my RP characters' creation. His relationship with Celes is again one of the strongest/most memorable parts of the plot, and the opera scene was iconic for its time. As much as I myself hold nostalgic fondness for it, it's admittedly a dated title at this point and likely held in the same high regard by older fans as those who grew up with FF7 do towards it (and after watching the remake trailer for the latter, I'd love to see FF6 get the same royal treatment someday). Or to use a Zelda example, while I wasn't really impressed by ALttP when I got around to trying it after OoT, I can appreciate how it was a groundbreaker for its genre. Meanwhile Link's Awakening was actually my first Zelda game I played a ton as a kid, and am super-stoked for the remake even though I'm aware it by itself is likely nothing special by today's standards, but still was a fresh and unique take at the time that introduced a lot of staples for the series. I imagine new players probably won't get the same innovative experience, but I'm just glad it's not a forgotten entry either. (Incidentally, I watched an informative history video on the "making of" LA, and was surprised to learn just how much of a "passion project" it started out as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfvk6CJ3v34)

On that note...

GET: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Two years late to the party, but better now than never. ='D What timing too, with the sequel just being announced. \o/ (Avoiding all spoilers such as watching the trailer until I actually finish the first game though. ^^; ) Normally I wait until the next generation console for the price to go down, but with LA + Sword&Shield coming out soon, I caved and tried again to persuade my mom to get a Switch over the weekend (as an early Birthday present), and lo she actually agreed to it this time. =O Haven't gotten a chance to play much beyond the intro (which I've already done in demos), but now that the weekend's here again I can finally mess around with it to my heart's content. X3 Watch out Hyrule, here I come~ *cackles madly and sets grass ablaze*
lilbluecorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:47 AM   #552
Naru
> brush him?

Get!:
- Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth

Atlus shit the goddamn bed. I love the first PQ and lemme tell you this one is still good but there's some weird mistranslations in here. I've had to read some pieces of dialouge a few times hoping to actually gauge what they mean. At least the game is still fun? I have a long way to go but other than the translation issues it's been a good time.

Spoiler: show
I do, however, miss the split paths from the first Persona Q. In the first one you could choose to begin with Persona 3 or Persona 4 --- in this one you're forced to start with 5 for story reasons. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but I wanted my Narukami earlier man.

- Octopath Traveler

I'M LATE. I know. I got my Switch a little late and other more pressing games came out for consoles that I had had longer. I'm excited to start this after all the good things I've heard.

- Collection of Mana

Literally did not want to buy Secret of Mana again but GODDAMMIT. Seiken Densetsu 3 (Trials of Mana) made me weak and having it on the go is worth it. (I know there's a remake coming out but like... them pixel graphics man).

tumblr fizzy bubbles last.fm toyhou.se
PSN: Asteiri | Discord: Asteiri#2000
Naru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #553
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

Locke and Celes definitely have the best chemistry. (Although Edgar is bae. <3 *shot*) The story overall does take a huge shift in the second part, and kinda goes the "VN" route of letting you choose which characters' paths to focus on. They might not be anything novel nowadays, but I think what it comes down to is that for many people, it was their first exposure to these kinds of tales/tropes. I know Locke's "treasure hunter" persona heavily influenced a lot of my RP characters' creation. His relationship with Celes is again one of the strongest/most memorable parts of the plot, and the opera scene was iconic for its time. As much as I myself hold nostalgic fondness for it, it's admittedly a dated title at this point and likely held in the same high regard by older fans as those who grew up with FF7 do towards it (and after watching the remake trailer for the latter, I'd love to see FF6 get the same royal treatment someday). Or to use a Zelda example, while I wasn't really impressed by ALttP when I got around to trying it after OoT, I can appreciate how it was a groundbreaker for its genre. Meanwhile Link's Awakening was actually my first Zelda game I played a ton as a kid, and am super-stoked for the remake even though I'm aware it by itself is likely nothing special by today's standards, but still was a fresh and unique take at the time that introduced a lot of staples for the series. I imagine new players probably won't get the same innovative experience, but I'm just glad it's not a forgotten entry either. (Incidentally, I watched an informative history video on the "making of" LA, and was surprised to learn just how much of a "passion project" it started out as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfvk6CJ3v34)
LA still has a powerful and unique story that hasn't been microwaved to death. Some might say a facelift would make it palatable to modern audiences, but I don't agree...the game was made for a specific platform and the script takes this into account. I'd argue that of all the Zelda games, the gameboy games and Majora do not get weaker with time.

Here's a personal quest, find Zelda's diary in BOTW. I think it'll be worth your time.

Final Fantasy VI
FINAL VERDICT: Good

After clearing out DKC3, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my SNES emulator, but BPK was bugging me for a while to try "the greatest RPG ever" so I gave it a shot. And as you all know I HATED it early on.

It got better, and I can definitely see how this game made an impact on people. While I felt good at the end, there are some severe flaws with this game that keeps me well from calling this a masterpiece. And the problem is, a lot of those problems are what people like about the game.

#1...

TOO MANY CHARACTERS

I get that this game tried to do something different with an "ensemble cast", but it's a horrible creative decision to have characters drop out of the main party from time time, then pick up RIGHT where they left off.

A VN does it better, with "routes", because VN writers recognize that relationships are not as on/off as answering/hanging up a telephone. Yes, we don't spend 100% of our lives in the presence of others, but we also don't act like nothing happened during the time apart. It was time apart and became a part of our lives.

In trying to juggle all these characters, not everyone had good or original development. For example, I find it hard to find Setzer a compelling character. Aside from his happy-go-lucky attitude, he has nothing to him except the death of Daryll. Compare that to Cyan, whose story beats went from:

-Introduction as an honourable man
-Tragedy caused by dishonourable means
-Immediate grief and loss for what to do
-Confronted by his failure (Phantom Train)
-Trying to cope with his past (Lola letters)
-Overcoming his demons (dreams in Doma)

I don't even think Cyan's development went in a good direction - the Cyan Soul stuff was unnecessary even if the Phantom Train bit in them was creepier than the real thing - but the boxes were there to check.

Compare to Gau, who is basically: a wild boy. That's it. When Gau was first introduced, it seemed like Cyan might adopt him to replace his recently deceased son, since they are the complete opposite in personality. But nope, that didn't go anywhere.

And it was a problem because the game made room for quantity over quality. Five of the first seven characters (Terra, Locke, Sabin, Celes, Shadow, Cyan) had the strongest storylines of all the characters. None of the characters at the back-end (Gau, Setzer, Strago, Relm, Mog, Umaro and especially Gogo) really had any compelling reason to invest in them as characters, coming late in the story and having no plot payoffs.

I also feel like Terra/Celes were at some point the same character. There's a ton of overlap between them and they actually don't interact much with each other. What they found in development was what was missing from the other. I feel like rather than splitting the two plotlines into two characters Square could have created two mains in Celes and Locke out of that material.

BAD PACING

As mentioned above, having characters drop out was really annoying. The sharp perspective shifts were jarring. But ultimately, the major issue with this is the pacing. Having randbats to slow down the release of the story made it tedious and had me focus on the gameplay elements and trying to survive the overworld, rather than focus on the story.

But the big issue to me was there was like five climaxes.

1. Releasing the Espers from the seal and watching them destroy Vector
2. Gestahl raising the floating continent
3. Destruction of the World of Balance
4. Defeat of the Warring Triad in Kefka's Tower
5. Defeat of Kefka himself

I thought I had entered the World of Ruin after #1, but no, it took like two more climaxes to get to the real deal. So it was hard to get worked up over the final battle against Kefka, which leads me to the final point...

Kefka is a bad main villain

My main beef with Kefka is his backstory says he's brain damaged. That means that for all his psychosis, all his immorality and evil deeds, he's not fully in control of himself. He's ultimately a victim like Celes and Terra.

In the final scene on the floating continent, he doesn't betray Gestahl until Celes stabs him, and he's in a desperate delirium when he calls on the Triad's power. He very quickly loses control of himself, leading to Gestahl's death and the Triad destroying the world.

Outside of Cyan, and maybe Terra, who in the story has personal stakes in killing Kefka?

-not Edgar or Sabin, as Figaro is fine
-Relm, Strago only helped out of obligation for saving Relm's life
-Gau, Umaro, Mog are almost unaligned third parties

I don't care what anyone says - Gestahl is the clear villain of this story, as he has the most blood on his hands and everything to the story builds to him as the boss. His death at Kefka's hands makes for an awkward transition into the World of Ruin, since Kefka flip-flops between wanting to be a god and wanting to destroy everything.

Now. Kefka is a solid antagonist. He and Gestahl compliment each other remarkably well, like a Harvey Dent and Joker combo. That dichotomy is why it seemed weird for Kefka to be the main villain instead of merely the final one.

I thought the final battle was creepy but a little overdone too. The Christian imagery didn't really belong in here, it was really random. It was more fitting in FFVII.

Overall, I think FFVI is a solid title that does not quite hold-up. The RPG system is better served in a mechanics-focused, frame tale story like FFI. The story had enough elements and gradual release schedule that they could have been good, but it was ruined by persistent perspective shifts, party changes, unequal focus and late additions.

I had fun! It was a good way to spend time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #554
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Dopples posts have convinced me to not give FF6 another try. If I didn't like it the first 3 attempts why would I be dumb enough ta try a 4th after being reminded how much the game sucks?

- Beat!
Tekken 3
Time: 00:13:58
Tekkens weird control-wise! I dun get! Like even less so than other fighting games! Sure I beat it all the same via an easy mode arcade run but still like can ya even jump in this? I didn't figured that out or any special moves or nothing. Oh an for being the 3rd game in the series it sure has a tiny roster! Whats up with that?

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World
Time: 47:08:09
This long overdue replay took place in New Game+ set to Advanced (hard) mode! It still wasn't very hard but ya know thats cool with me! Had a really good time going through this again an now I'm 100% onboard with saying its better than the first one in every single way. I still really wish this series could continue!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #555
lilbluecorsola
'Till we meet again

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Here's a personal quest, find Zelda's diary in BOTW. I think it'll be worth your time.
I was spoiled on one thing in the diary before which breaks my heart, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for that. ;( Currently made it to Kakariko (lovin' the new aesthetic) and Hateno Village. Got my first horse: a blue-and-white colored one I named Cloud (and whom I let eat someone's entire carefully tended carrot garden *shot*). As much as I miss Epona, I am pretty happy with my first pick. =3=b

One thing I do appreciate is how there are many multiple ways to acheive the same goal, as there's a lot of freedom of choice when it comes to playstyle. I've seen plenty of people trying out "unconventional" tactics with the game, including this classic "no climbing" vid. (The first five minutes - specifically starting around the 1:20 mark - are a true journey.) I got stuck on one particular puzzle because I was unknowingly making it much harder for myself by utilizing a method different from the one the devs obviously intended, but could've feabily worked had I gotten it right. Meanwhile I found an easy "cheat"/workaround solution for another challenge that involved tilting the controller (although it probably only works when the controller is detached and not when using the mobile Switch screen).

As for FF, I agree the cast is supremely large and not everyone gets the same amount of good development. Perhaps if there ever is a remake someday they'll flesh the neglected ones out some more. Kefka was a fun villain, but I honestly don't remember what his deal was so I guess that speaks to his lack of compelling motivation.
lilbluecorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #556
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Reading up on the Pokemon S&S "faux DLC" by artificially restricting the National Dex, I reminisced about Diablo and how nobody can have that gaming experience again.

Diablo cost $10. After playing through the game proper, you could take your finished character through another round of the game, facing new monsters, Quests and harder difficulty. Once you got sick of single player, you could take Diablo online to Battle.net to play the game with people across the globe, facing even higher difficulty and much richer reward and treasure.

Gamers today think 48 hours is an awful lot of game for $60. I got three years out of Diablo for a paltry $10.

</games where better when I was young>
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #557
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Get:

Hitman 2
Slay the Spire
Darkest Dungeon
Wargroove
Shenmue I & II

Steam sale, about Ł50 all told. Held off on Sekiro because as much as I want to play it, it was only 20% off and I was already hitting my self-imposed spending limit.

Only one I've played so far is Slay the Spire. My god I am bad at this game (1 win with each character at the moment out of maybe ~8-10 attempts with each character) but it is so so addictive. My first win came with a Shiv-based Silent deck, the second a Claw-based Defect deck and the third a Demon Form based Ironclad deck. Yet to get a win in Ascension 1 with any of the three haha. Like I said, I'm pretty bad at it. It's just so easy to knock out a run when you're at a loose end for an hour or two.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games