UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Visionary Glade

Old 05-06-2022, 04:38 AM   #1
Stargazer
Pokemon Trainer

Aster's Scribbles

“Are really you sure about this mom?...”

She stood there, holding the spotted white Egg like it made all the sense in the world. Well, it did, in a way – she was a Pokémon Breeder, and a pretty famous one at that! So was his grandfather, and his great-grandmother, and so on. But him?...

“There is nothing to fear, Aster. Not while you have a companion to keep you safe! And this one will be yours, when it hatches. And trust me, there’s something pretty special about this little one!” Her smile was reassuring – the fact she was now placing that Egg in his arms, not so much…

Then, she asked the one question he hoped she wouldn’t.

“Aster… are you absolutely sure you want to be a Breeder too? Because nobody’s forcing you if…”

I do! I really, really do! What she does is so amazing, raising so many beautiful Pokemon all the way from birth! But I… I…

“… I don’t know mom. I really… don’t think I can! I love watching you work, I love watching those documentaries on TV, but as soon as I’m close to a real Pokemon, I…”

The Egg moved. He gasped, and almost dropped it.

“Oh! You know… I’m sure you’re scared, but that little one seems to like you. So tell you what: hold on to it. Just until it hatches! Then, decide for yourself. If you still think you can’t do it then, I’ll take the Pokemon back. But you never know… Can you do that for me?”

She always knew how to get him on board. Damn her.

“… Ok, fine. I guess I can give it a try.”
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:07 PM   #2
Stargazer
Pokemon Trainer

Hey Mom.

So, that Egg hatched a week ago. I'm guessing you already knew, even if you never told me - it's a Togepi. And that's great! She's really affectionate and mild-mannered... except every time she bursts into tears because she's either hungry, sleepy or both. Still, I think I've been managing so far... She seems happy around me when she's fed and well-rested. So I think I'm doing alright as far as Starshine's concerned! Really wish you were actually here to tell me in person, though. Until now I've mostly been guessing my way around. You did say it was "part of growing up", but... I guess I'm still a bit scared.

And speaking of scared: I've been running into many Trainers with their Pokemon outside their Balls, and I still can't find it in me to walk closer. I've mostly been avoiding everyone with a Pokemon next to them. And I guess I might as well come clean... I haven't taken a single step in tall grass. Not a single encounter with a wild Pokemon. Mom, I just... can't. I kinda hoped I would find the guts to do it when the time actually came, but so far... nothing! Not to mention, as sweet as she is, I don't exactly feel protected with just a newborn Togepi. So you know what I did? I actually walked into a nearby Adoption Center... and got a new partner!

So, he's a Nidoran. Every kid in Kanto has one at some point, right? And he can grow into a super-powerful Pokemon! I guess I thought I'd feel more secure with someone like him around, what with the poison spikes and all. Turns out... he won't listen to me at all! He rushes everyone he runs into, person or Pokemon, looking to pick fights just for the heck of it, it seems! He's been nothing but a giant headache. Not to mention, I'm actually super scared he'll stab me one day! I called him Breaker, because that seems to be all he's good for. I know, I know - it's the Trainer's responsibility to raise his Pokemon. I'm working on it, I promise! But so far, I think it's all just... way too much.

Starshine makes me smile though. So I'm good.

Talk to you later!

Aster
Old 06-17-2022, 03:29 AM   #3
Stargazer
Pokemon Trainer

Hey Mom.

Things have been going okay, I think… Starshine spends more time awake than last time I wrote you, but I still can’t get her to do much. At least she’s been easy to take care of – as long as she gets her naps, not much seems to upset her. Which is great, because Breaker has been soaking up most of my time! I was hoping he’d listen to me after a whole month together, but he still won’t do anything I tell him. Probably doesn’t help that I’m still afraid of him – those spikes and horns and poison are all still very much there, and it hasn’t been easy to look past any of that. Any tips? Like, what did you do when you were my age around Pokemon like this? I could really, really use some pointers you know…

But I gotta be honest. Something else’s been making me uneasy lately. I’m making my way to Pinewood National Park, and two nights ago I tried to be a bit braver than usual… we covered a lot of ground at night, in the forest. Like, a whole hour of walking after dark. And I could’ve kept going, trust me! But at some point we heard a weird noise coming from the woods, like some sort of super creepy chuckle… and I felt this really horrible chill down my spine! We called it quits after that and turned in for the night, but ever since then I’ve been getting the same shivers every now and again, just out of nowhere… I keep telling myself it’s just my mind playing tricks on me – Starshine and Breaker seem just fine – but I dunno… Do you think I’m haunted? Anything like this ever happen to you?

Hope you’re doing well. Write back as soon as you can!

Aster
Old 07-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #4
Stargazer
Pokemon Trainer

Hey Mom.

Did you put me up to this? Be honest!

Some old guy came up to me three days ago, acting like he knew me – and I guess he did, since he knew my name and everything, but I’m totally sure we never met before. Said something about expecting me to be older, or taller, can’t remember – but why would he expect anything to begin with?

Here’s the weirder part – unless you had something to do with this, in which case you won’t think it’s weird! – he just gave me a PokéBall and left! Said “someone would want me to have this”, placed the thing in my hand and left the Pokemon Center! Took me until today to find the courage to open it…

It’s an Amaura! You know, the kind of Pokemon that’s kinda supposed to not exist anymore? I mean, it’s super friendly, I’m guessing it’s pretty young too… It seems to have taken a liking to me and Starshine, five times now it pounced my for a hug and everything! And that’s really sweet and all, but why on earth would a random old man just give me such a rare Pokemon without explanation and then vanish?! Not to mention, Lazuli – that’s what I’m calling it for now – seems to have a real issue controlling its body temperature, or ice powers or something... There’s basically a permanent mini-snowstorm around it, and I’m covered in frostbite at this point with all the times it’s jumped me for hugs so far!

But yeah, I… guess I like it. I’ll keep it. It’s really not scary at all. So if you did have something to do with all this… I’m thankful, I suppose.

Catch you later!

Aster
Old 07-29-2022, 02:19 PM   #5
Stargazer
Pokemon Trainer

Hey Mom.

I got news! I had my first Pokemon battle today… against a wild Pokemon! And I won! And I caught it! AND… it was a Treecko!

I’m not sure where to start, though. It was… kinda weird. It was actually a Nurse Joy who tipped me off. Probably because I’d been hanging around the Pokemon Center kinda aimlessly for two days while I tried to find the guts to actually venture out. She must’ve realized how hopeless I am and came up to me in the lounge. Said she’d noticed I was “struggling a bit” to decide where to go next and decided to share some “super-secret information” with me about a rare Pokemon outbreak in the outskirts of town. But then she told me she wouldn’t tell me what that Pokemon was, and that I’d have to see for myself. Marked the location on my Map and everything.

So I did! Took Starshine, Breaker and Lazuli and pretended to be a regular Trainer for once. I mean, she was sweet and all, but what if it had been a Houndour horde or something?! Turns out this “outbreak” were actually four Treecko roaming about, and an official broadcast probably hadn’t gone out yet, because there really were no other Trainers on their trail! Not sure how Nurse Joy of all people got the scoop, but hey, not gonna complain!

Of course, Starshine had to start crying as soon as I tried to sneak up on them. Three of them fled immediately, but one stayed behind. I swear to Arceus it grinned and everything – it must have been itching for a fight! Starshine’s still a baby, and she was throwing a tantrum, so I couldn’t use her. Then Breaker broke free of his Ball, must’ve smelled an opponent. The idiot rushed ahead and Treecko kinda just… dodged like it was nothing and hit back with a Pound. Then again, and again, and before I knew it, Breaker was completely worn out.

Then the really weird part is… I remember recalling Breaker, and grabbing Lazuli’s Ball… I remember feeling a sudden rush of excitement, a ridiculous burst confidence out of nowhere! And then... absolutely nothing else. When I came back to, Lazuli was looking exhausted, the entire area around us was frozen, and I was holding another PokéBall. Treecko was inside… I swear I don’t remember any of it! It’s kinda scary, you know? Oh, and those chills I mentioned in my other letter? They’ve kinda been getting worse…

I know you're gonna tell me it's nothing to worry about, that I was just over-excited for my first catch and all... Maybe that's what it was, I don't know. But anyway! Treecko! Can you imagine? I actually have a super rare Hoenn Pokemon now! Not sure what I’m gonna call it, but it seems super self-confident. Kinda smug, even. So I’m feelin’… maybe Saber?

Hope you’re doing well! Talk to you later;

Aster

Last edited by Stargazer; 08-13-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:36 AM   #6
Stargazer
Pokemon Trainer

Aster sat on the grass, legs crossed, staring intently at the PokéBalls scattered on the ground in front of him. Starshine yawned lazily in his lap, as usual.

How did I get here?

He hadn’t changed, he was sure of that. Fangs, spikes, horns, claws, even growls, he still hated all of that. The only Pokemon battle he ever had, he couldn’t even remember how it had ended. So how on earth did he have 4 Pokémon under his care all of a sudden?

Starshine, mercifully, had never been a problem. It was just about the perfect Pokemon for someone who was scared of Pokemon – to be expected, considering it had been hand-picked by his mother to be his very first companion. But at the same time, wasn’t your “starter” supposed to be a reliable Pokemon who could keep you safe? Because Starshine most definitely was not it. It was a baby, for all intents and purposes. And Aster had no idea what he should be doing to change that – he knew Togepi could evolve, but way to do it eluded him completely.

That could have been where Breaker came in – a fearless Pokemon who could hold its own where a Togepi would not. Problem was… Breaker remained completely unreliable. Disobedient, extremely aggressive and overall an absolute pain to raise. Aster doubted he was raising it at all – mostly he just avoided contact with the Nidoran, in fear it would attack him or that he’d prick his finger on one of its many, many poisonous barbs. And in the end, what kind of Breeder did he hope to be if he actively avoided his own Pokemon?...

Lazuli was pretty much the opposite – a wholly unexpected gift from a total stranger, the Amaura was probably still an infant and, for some reason, it simply loved to pounce Aster for a hug whenever it had a chance. Extremely affectionate bordering on clingy, the revived fossil was not a creature Aster ever expected to run into in his life, let alone own one. And to be fair, his only complaint about Lazuli was its total inability to control its body temperature, causing it to be perpetually surrounded by a cloud of ice particles that made prolonged contact quite painful – a considerable setback for a Pokemon who craved proximity above all else. Yet another challenge for him to work out as they went along…

And finally, there was Saber. The newest addition to his burgeoning team, the Treecko had been his very first capture at the end of his very first battle. One… he didn’t really remember finishing. It was something he couldn’t ignore, but at the same time, something he could do nothing about… On the flipside, Saber was amazing. Competent, obedient out of respect for the human who’d bested it, and at the same time with a sense of absolute confidence that more than made up for Aster’s own insecurities. They had only known one another for a few days, but he could tell he’d be relying on Saber a whole lot moving forward.

The last thing on his mind, however, was the one which worried him the most: he was pretty certain he was sick. Ever since that night in the woods some weeks back, he had been feeling strange; chills ran down his spine at random, sometimes even waking him from his sleep. Other times he felt like he was being watched, even when there was clearly nobody else around. He’d mentioned it in his letters to his mother, and she’d always sounded reassuring in her replies, but he couldn’t shake off the feeling that there was something wrong with him. Maybe he should get that checked out next time he was in town.

With a deep sigh, he collected the PokéBalls and reattached them to his belt. Then, he took out his pen and notebook, and leaned against the tree trunk, closing his eyes briefly to gather his thoughts.

“Hey Mom.”

Last edited by Stargazer; 08-13-2022 at 10:27 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Visionary Glade