UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

"New 3DS" announced: Exclusive Xenoblade remake as well.

Nintendo Direct (Only in Japanese)
  • Bigger Screens
  • Improved 3D that doesn't go blurry if you tilt it
  • Second analog stick
  • Extra Shoulder Buttons (ZR/ZL)
  • Exclusive games that DO NOT work on the regular 3DS/3DSXL/2DS, first such one being Xenoblade
  • Improved Battery Life
  • Built-in NFC compatibility (For Amiibo obviously)
  • Boosted CPU, allowing for better quality games
  • Uses Micro SD cards, not regular ones

Another interesting revelation out of Nintendo. A new 3DS model, creatively called "New 3DS" and "New 3DSLL" is coming to Japan in November this year and the west next year. The 'new 3DS' retains backwards compatibility, but will recieve exclusive games that only work on the new 3DS and will not work on regular 3DS. The new stick is a 'c-stick'. GC virtual console anyone?
Wins- 24 ~ Losses- 14 ~ Draws- 1
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15
Current Number of Pokemon on the Squad: 38

Friend Codes:
Spoiler: show
Y/Smash Bros- (I pay more attention to this one :P) FS- Gabite, Noibat, Druddigon; 1993-9521-9013

X- FS- Gyarados, Bibarel, Poliwhirl; 0645-5911-9507

Last edited by ROFLMAO; 08-29-2014 at 09:06 AM.
ROFLMAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Heather
Naga's Voice

As usual, not getting it until a Pokémon game is announced for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

16,000 yen for the new 3DS ($160), 18,800 yen for the new 3DSXL ($18.

There'll also be new features to make it easier to transfer media to and from PCs, a new home menu was also shown. The download speed for games will also be upped.
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15

Friend Codes:
Y/Smash Bros- (I pay more attention to this one :P) FS- Gabite, Noibat, Druddigon; 1993-9521-9013

Old 08-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Desperate Nintendo is desperate, which I'm sorry to see. This is too soon. Will not bother with if none of the games I like are on it. What's more, it's foolish of them to split up their install base like this. DS Lite and DSi worked because you didn't alienate (respectively) DS Original or DS Lite users. Same story for 3DS XL and 2DS. Making a 3DS XL Ultra, while it's exactly what some fans asked for, is going to split your install base. Make the next Pokémon work on all models and no one bothers to buy the new model of the 3DS. Make the next Pokémon an exclusive to the new model and watch as you only sell half as many copies as you sold of X and Y. It's a lose-lose to do this sort of thing within the same generation, and nothing about the new 3DS suggests that it's a whole new handheld.

Thankfully, it sounds like this is just a gimmick to sell Xenoblade copies and/or to milk money out of the Xenoblade obsessed fanboys who proved to Nintendo the lengths they were willing to go to to be able to play Xenoblade. Nintendo probably figures that Xenoblade isn't profitable enough as a title marketed to everyone and that they can justify selling it for $100 to fanboys if they hide $50 of that price behind a new 3DS model's price tag.

The second analog "stick" (more like a button >_>) looks well placed relative to the ABXY buttons but poorly placed relative to the screen and the hinge. Just asking for screen smudge on the right side. Also looks like the thumb will keep abutting the hinge, resulting in physical discomfort and distraction. If they can, moving all five of those buttons down and to the right a little (even if that requires widening the frame) should help.

I'd like to chalk this up as the next installment in the Micro GB line of Nintendo handhelds. I'll be disappointed if such a shallow upgrade is going to muscle the 3DS off the market when it's not even three years old. The DS ran from (at the tiniest) Nov 2004 to Feb 2011, some six years. I'd like the 3DS to at least manage four and a half, please. -.-; Tired of having to spend $150 (console + game) every time I want to play the next Pokémon.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

I really don't see why they didn't just keep the home, start and select buttons below the touch screen and have a normal size analog stick there instead。
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15

Friend Codes:

Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Seems a bit to early in the life of the 3DS to make this, def won't buy unless they go and start releasing Gen 7 on it or something, Also that 2nd stick is just pointless as you really only need one and it's located in such a way where it would be uncomfortable to use.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Wow, that's totally not bullshit or anything. I've only had my 3DS for a little over a year, and it's nearing the point to where it's obsolete?
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Wow, that's totally not bullshit or anything. I've only had my 3DS for a little over a year, and it's nearing the point to where it's obsolete?
To be "fair" (?), the same thing happened with the GBA and the DS. GBA was launched in North America in the Summer of 2001. By the Fall of 2004, we already had the DS bustin' down the doors. Originally this was supposed to be okay since the DS had been billed (by Nintendo themselves!) as a non-replacement for the GBA. They had envisioned (or at least publicly proclaimed) the DS as being a side-product sort of like the Virtual Boy. But we all know how things turned out: everyone flocked to the DS, including developers, and while the GBA continued to see a few main series releases for it between 2004 and 2006, for the most part its life cycle can be said to have ended somewhere in 2005 for all intents and purposes. By the time I got my DS Lite in the Fall of 2006, I was already "late to the party" compared with most people I knew: the GBA had long since been abandoned by gamers and developers alike.

But I put that "fair" in air quotes precisely because it wasn't fair. It was horseshit. The three-year life cycle of the GBA remains one of the worst business practices Nintendo ever did that I suffered for. And I was one of the lucky ones: I was an early adopter with the GBA, buying an original white model at launch. The people who really deserve sympathy are the GBA SP people who bought a handheld that was only relevant for what? Two years tops?

While it really sucks to be shackled to shitty technology when we could be doing so much better, one of the things I loved about the original Game Boy, the DS, the XBox 360, and the PS3 were their comparatively "long" life cycles. Only the Game Boy would get away with it without the air quotes -- that sucker was relevant for literally over a decade. (As I remember, it wasn't until 2001 that main series GBC titles began to be GBC exclusive. Earlier GBC titles like Pokémon Pinball or Pokémon Gold and Silver were still backwards compatible with original Game Boys.) But even the other three I'm willing to credit that they held out for six (DS), seven (PS3), and eight (XBox 360) years before being rendered obsolete by their successors. That was good. That was how it should be. Don't ask us to drop $200 every two to three years. Ask us to drop $300 once every seven years and let's make that $300 feel like a satisfying investment.

To be fair again though, the Pokémon franchise itself suffers from this same problem I'm decrying. If you want to stay competitively relevant, you have to keep buying the latest titles because it's only through the latest titles that you can obtain the latest Move Tutor moves, the latest event mon, etc. Even if you don't care much about those things and you only get the first title in each generation, the generation gap between 5 and 6 was historically short, tying only the (far more understandable) gap between Gens 1 and 2 back in the day. The fact that this shortest of gaps came co-packaged with a jump from one console to the next was pretty shitty. :\ If you're going to release a new generation every two to three years, then I guess "whatever," but at least don't couple it to a new console every time too. If you want to couple each new generation to a new console, then fine, but please let's make sure that those new consoles are spaced apart by four to five years. Three-year models are ass, especially since they translate to only two years or even one year of life for later adopters. (I understand lack of sympathy for the guy who adopts in Year 6 of a seven-year life cycle, but no sympathy for the guy who adopts in Year 2 of a three-year life cycle is just cruel imo. He waited one fucking year. That's like nothing. Why is he being penalized $200 for that?)
Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
Does anybody know if having the Circle Pad Pro accessory for 3DS will allow you to play New 3ds games? Because it adds the ZR/L buttons, as well as a second stick which could be used as a C-stick.

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyro12 View Post
Does anybody know if having the Circle Pad Pro accessory for 3DS will allow you to play New 3ds games? Because it adds the ZR/L buttons, as well as a second stick which could be used as a C-stick.
As far as I know they haven't actually said anything about that. I'd assume no because the boosted CPU on the new 3DS would allow for things that the normal 3DS can't handle, but I'm not 100%.
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15

Friend Codes:

Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Or you just won't be able to stick them in.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
This sucks. I just bought my 3DS a year ago. I briefly thought about possibly trading it in for the new one (I would be willing to trade in + like maybe $50 for the new one) but then I realized I wouldn't have my digital games. Goddamn it Nintendo.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
This sucks. I just bought my 3DS a year ago. I briefly thought about possibly trading it in for the new one (I would be willing to trade in + like maybe $50 for the new one) but then I realized I wouldn't have my digital games. Goddamn it Nintendo.
Yes you would. Just remove the SD card and put it into the new 3DS; nothing is stored on the actual 3DS except some settings.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, I don't think what he would want to do (what anyone who upgrades would want to do) is quite that easy. As I understand it though it's still pretty easy. What he'd want to do is a system transfer. With both devices on hand, you can overwrite the fresh-out-of-the-factory newer device's settings and data downloads, even the Friend Code, with your old device's. You then reset your old device afterwards to its factory settings, wiping it clean for safe resale to the next user. If all Tdos does is transfer his SD card, he'll have the old FC's data in the new FC's device. It'll create problems afaik. Games that connect themselves to your Friend Code, like Pokémon does, would see the new Tdos as an entirely different player online. He'd have to give everyone his new FC.

Disclaimer: never done this myself but was looking into it four to five months ago.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Hm, if it's not too much of a hassle then I would consider it. Still a shitty business practice.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #16
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

Remember that the new 3DS uses micro-SD cards though. You'd have to transfer stuff from that SD card to a Micro SD card to use it on the new 3DS.
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15

Friend Codes:

Old 08-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #17
Heather
Naga's Voice

GFDI Ninty stop making things so prohibitively difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
With a good enough Gamestop trade-in incentive (And assuming Nintendo can give some way of transferring without needing both systems in hand/Gamestop will let me sit there and transfer data right before I trade in my 3DS), I'm really actually wanting to get this. Like, it does have some major "WHYYYYYY" factors such as the Stylus and Power button both being on the bottom (I really hope I don't hit the Power button in my pocket), but regardless, it still actually looks not too bad. Plus the faceplates are nice. Gotta get that Luigi representation.

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

IIRC, if the 3ds is folded closed, you can't turn it on even if you hit the power button. I don't imagine you will be putting it in your pocket unclosed.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #20
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Having watched the Direct a few times now I actually like this a lot more than I thought. The tilt thing was a huge problem for me originally because sometime I want to play my game in 3D while not looking straight at it, or I'm watching a friend from the side and I can't see anything. The extra button have made the 3DS very similar to the Wii-U game pad, allowing tons of buttons and the ability to have more camera viewing options, finer and more free movement, and more button inputs. Exclusive games wasn't a good idea on Nintendo's part though, and Xenoblade will probably look so much better on the Wii like it was supposed to. Improved battery life is always better, and improving the 3DS's CPU was so needed. With the only examples of Amiibo being Rumble U and the examples from Smash I can't say much about it yet. Might be better for Skylanders though, though I doubt they'll stop releasing more over the top portals that come with the game and we have to plug in and ugh. Don't really care about MicroSD vs SD, you can transfer them anyways o its not that big of a deal
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #21
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

I'm feeling similar. I was just about to pick up a Japanese 3DS for Smash Bros in like a week, but this is making me want to hold off. I want an XL, but the colour scheme on the regular size one is so much better... Decisions decisions.
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15

Friend Codes:

Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #22
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

There's always the interchangeable plate thingys!
Squad Summary

Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #23
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
and nothing about the new 3DS suggests that it's a whole new handheld.
Tbh I still feel like this about the 3DS as compared to the DS. It's a DS with a single added gimmick feature I will never use. I bought a 3DS second hand from a super dodgy shop to play Pokemon Y, then sold it back to a more reputable shop the moment I finished so I only lost a fiver on it.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #24
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

"What's that new 3DS called?"
"New 3DS"
"......."

When it comes ta naming games or hardware nintendos completely lost their touch. Can't wait for Mario Kart 9 and Newer Yoshi's Island lol
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #25
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Xenoblade Chronicles X, followed by Xenoblade Chronicles Y!

Don't forget Newer Super Mario Bros 3 and New Super Mario Galaxy!

And watch out for Kirby's Other Return to Dream Land and The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Links!
Squad Summary

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games