UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

POKéMON R/B/Y releasing on 3DS VC in Feb. (EU)

News straight from the latest Nintendo Direct!

Trading is possible through 3DS's wi-fi (local-only)... somehow! Amazing!

I assume other regions'll follow in short order. Never thought I'd see this happen. Was totally super sure GameFreak was happy to make people pay $40 for remakes rather than $6-ish for rom dumps o.o;

Confirmed for Japan digitally... and...

?!

edit: More news!

New game announced!

POKéMON Picross
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-vi...kemon-picross/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aQ_71Z5T0o

Last edited by Lindz; 11-12-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

As long as they didn't screw with any of the glitches, I am cool with this. All I ask is that I can still catch a Missingno. before battling Misty.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
Heather
Naga's Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
As long as they didn't screw with any of the glitches, I am cool with this. All I ask is that I can still catch a Missingno. before battling Misty.
Prepare to be disappointed. There's a glitch in Super Mario Bros 3 that if you fly over the left wall of the final Bowser room with a P-Wing, you get sent into a clone version, but Bowser will not breathe fire, but the floor is different and thus requires a bit more precision. In the VC version, you'd still get the altered room, but Bowser would also have his fire breath, indicating the glitch was fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:00 AM   #4
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
Prepare to be disappointed. There's a glitch in Super Mario Bros 3 that if you fly over the left wall of the final Bowser room with a P-Wing, you get sent into a clone version, but Bowser will not breathe fire, but the floor is different and thus requires a bit more precision. In the VC version, you'd still get the altered room, but Bowser would also have his fire breath, indicating the glitch was fixed.
Oh... So I should probably try and think of alternatives to using Missingno. on my team, huh? I suppose I can hold out without a Fly user until I revive Aerodactyl, though Dodrio's pretty awesome as well... And if they remove the Mew glitch, they better damn well make Mew available somehow. I just hope they somehow realize that a lot of Generation I's charm lies in its numerous glitches. Hell, I wrote a fanfic that takes place in Glitch City!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
And if they remove the Mew glitch, they better damn well make Mew available somehow.
Amen to that.

Well, they did say in the announcement that they will keep the game as it was as close as possible... But they don't say anything about keeping glitches present in the original (called legacy bugs in QA jargon) so...

If Nintendo works similarly as my experience with some other companies that does game ports, they usually try their best NOT to fix those legacy bugs, for the sake of keeping it as much as possible as the original and for keeping fans happy who are used to see those bugs and has embraced them. However, they will fix a legacy bug if it messes up big time with the game (ex.: crashing, data/game corruption). That in mind... I dunno what they'll do to Missingno. They could keep it as much as possible but just fix the possible data/game corruption it sometimes bring, or scrap it entirely because of said game corruption.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Thing is, Missingno. doesn't actually screw with the game so much. The worst it does is scramble the sprites when you view its stats (easily fixed) and screw with your hall of fame data (not fixable but pretty entertaining). Some glitch Pokémon get moves that seriously screw up the game, .4 being a prime example as it starts with one such move (but is completely harmless if it's made to forget that move)... oh, man, but I hope they don't delete .4 from the game, either- besides Missingno., that's one of my favorite glitch Pokémon! Point is, though, Missingno. doesn't get any of the moves that screw up your game. I mean, if they do something about it in Yellow, that's one thing, because Missingno. in Yellow is seriously messed up, but it's actually OK in Red and Blue.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
Mercutio
Banned

Gonna get me a Persian gonna wreck me some face
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Regarding Pokémon Picross apparently it was announced in 1999 for the GBC o.o

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...e_Boy_Color%29

Longest running vaporware since Duke Nukem Forever? lol
Old 11-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
I'm strangely indfferent to this announcement. Sure, it's neat and all and keeps the genwunners drooling while keeping everyone else happy, but at the same time I don't really have any connection. I grew up with GSC and gen 3, so don't have the same connection you folks do.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Oh cool

*continues to play the free emulator versions*

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
I think this might actually be something different from VC, so I wouldn't bet on your experiences with past VC games to be any sort of predictor on these.

Friend Code/Username list
Spoiler: show
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I wouldn't bet on it being anything different than the usual VC release other than them adding wireless trading.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Watch them put a bonus feature in this where if you play with Z, or possibly any 6th gen game, in the cartridge slot or on the system, you get Mew. Plus Pokemon Transporter compatibility so you can get them into gen 6.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I wouldn't be surprised if the battle system was updated like they did with Pokemon Stadium (i.e. Focus Energy actually works as intended) but outside of that I don't see them changing much. It would probably come with a not nice backlash.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #15
Heather
Naga's Voice

Perhaps Leech Seed won't be sharing variables with Toxic anymore. That one was a doozy.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #16
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

I'm pretty sure they're just gonna be rom dumps otherwise they wouldn't be released under the VC label x.x Unike Sony who forbids editting PS/PS2 iso's, I have read about Nintendo editting some VC games but not to completely change the games. If anything they'll maybe tone down some animations they fear could cause the Porygon effect?
Old 11-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #17
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
I wouldn't bet on it being anything different than the usual VC release other than them adding wireless trading.
Well, no, I agree, it probably won't be. But if they wanted to, they could do whatever they want. As far as I know, VC is pretty much always just a direct port, with the exception of certain game breaking glitches being removed as Myles stated (although that's honestly the first I had ever heard of something of that nature being changed). Otherwise, they are left mostly untouched. So the wireless features already go well beyond what you can expect to see in VC games. My point is that this means everything else is up for grabs as well, and the game does not have to adhere to any past rules we may have preconceived for VC games.

Edit: @Lindz
Well see, that's where the problem comes in... we don't actually know if it will be a VC game yet, as it was never stated.

Last edited by Quilavaflare; 11-15-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
Heather
Naga's Voice

About the bug fix I presented, it may be that the glitch was originally present in the GBA version of SMB3 but NOT in the SNES version, leading to the glitch's absence in the SNES version making me think it was removed.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #19
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilavaflare View Post
Edit: @Lindz
Well see, that's where the problem comes in... we don't actually know if it will be a VC game yet, as it was never stated.
The VC logo is right there in the image I got in the OP o.o
Old 11-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #20
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
The VC logo is right there in the image I got in the OP o.o
Ah, yeah, you're right! Nevermind, my apologies. I guess I assumed that since they didn't say specifically in the video, that it hadn't been decided yet.

i shall not doubt your words again

Old 02-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #21
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
If Nintendo works similarly as my experience with some other companies that does game ports, they usually try their best NOT to fix those legacy bugs, for the sake of keeping it as much as possible as the original and for keeping fans happy who are used to see those bugs and has embraced them.
So it seems I was correct: Missing.no is still present in the rereleases. I know someone who will be happy ;)

(I think I heard that the Mew glitch also works, but I forgot where I saw that. Derp.)

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:53 AM   #22
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
So it seems I was correct: Missing.no is still present in the rereleases. I know someone who will be happy ;)

(I think I heard that the Mew glitch also works, but I forgot where I saw that. Derp.)
Oh, yes.

And the Mew glitch does indeed still work. I used it to catch a Missingno. for my team, several other Missingno. for cloning purposes, and a Mew and Cubone for the Pokédex. And that's just thus far. Eventually I plan to go for version exclusives, trade evolutions, Eevee, whichever Hitmon I don't choose, Omanyte, whatever I'll need to complete the Pokédex. And maybe Koffing, if only to get it earlier than usual.

On this topic, I've made it to Vermilion City in Red. Team consists of Oddish lv. 25 (Absorb, Acid, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder), Ekans lv. 25 (Body Slam, Dig, Wrap, Glare), Missingno. lv. 25 (Body Slam, Dig, Sky Attack, Thunder Wave), and Charmander lv. 26 (Ember, Dig, Body Slam, Leer) thus far. Yes, none of them have evolved yet, this is so I can get them to learn certain moves much quicker (Petal Dance for Oddish, Acid for Ekans, and Flamethrower and Slash for Charmander). I'm planning on Seadra and Weezing being the final two members of my team.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:17 AM   #23
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
The glitches work eh? Now comes the question of whether or not Bank will recognize this for Sun and Moon... (most likely not, but you never know...)
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #24
Heather
Naga's Voice

WAIT. What if you CAN Bank Missingno-and it comes out as a new Pokemon-perhaps even what it was originally going to be!?

Quote:
Old 03-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #25
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Part of the Nintendo February 2016 NPD PR:
Quote:
February also saw the digital debut of the 2D Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Yellow games in Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. The games instantly shot to the top of the charts, and together, combined to break the first-week Nintendo eShop sales record previously held by Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
R/B/Y > 135,000 in its first week in North America alone.

I can see G/S/C making an eventual appearance in the VC format someday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News