UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #4026
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The military is absolutely concerned with an arms race, but not about satellite maintenance - it's all about AI. The belief is that private AI efforts like NVIDIA or Google's DeepMind are not that far ahead of open source AI projects, while China/Russia are considerably ahead in that department.

I personally and skeptical of this just because of how inferior Baidu is to Google in its search algorithm department (a far more basic application of database analyzation) but Baidu also doesn't give true results due to the pay-for-ranking model and censorship imposed by the PRC. But the people I talked to, while not technical, were very intelligent and well-read, and believed the US was vastly behind.

I can vouch that in my experience the US government and by extension the intelligence department is probably behind. The government moves very slowly, and when it comes to technology which moves incredibly quickly and is profit-motivated, there is going to be the biggest gulf. It's unlikely the US government has the capability to match more autocratic regimes that can use force or force of economics to motivate such interests. Look at how much the FBI struggled to crack the iPhone's security. PRISM was advanced for its time, but only because the companies that volunteered for it did so with the intent to use the research they did for the government to build the foundation for the data mine technology we all hate today. If you're AT&T, and you want to get into targeting advertisements and biometric measurement, there's nothing better than having the US government pay you to violate your own TOS and build the foundation for your new business model.

Stuff like Starship Troopers or orbital super weapons were explicitly shut down in the briefings I heard. None of the senior military think this is practical or possible. There isn't a need for such a thing right now. But, say the GPS system is taken offline tomorrow and the chaos that would ensue from all the services that rely on it to work. Or if you take out DirecTV's satellites, that causes a mass of cancellations which will significantly hurt a critical company to US stability (AT&T).

Right now, satellites were protected due to their geography and the fact that you needed nation-sized resources to reach them. Now we have individuals, corporations or families who have wealth greater than some countries. Earth's orbit may be 32,000 miles away but it's never been closer than it is today. And so the time has come to protect and maintain those assets.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #4027
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
So Kavanaugh has been confirmed, concluding a horrific series of events that revealed huge schisms in Democratic Party, 50-48.

If you're a progressive or liberal, I think you should start crying right now. Kavanaugh himself isn't a horseman of the apocalypse but the broader implications of this victory are morose.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #4028
Talon87
Nebby. Back into the bag.

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
So Kavanaugh has been confirmed, concluding a horrific series of events that revealed huge schisms in Democratic Party, 50-48.

If you're a progressive or liberal, I think you should start crying right now. Kavanaugh himself isn't a horseman of the apocalypse but the broader implications of this victory are morose.
It isn't really about left vs. right at this point. The man has flat out stated he thinks net neutrality has got to go. If California vs. FCC ends up going to court, which it will, and this Supreme Court rules in favor of Ajit Pai's FCC, you and every other self-identified conservative who spends over half of his free time online can kiss his sorry Internet routine good-bye and wave a tepid hello at a life not revisited since 1994. Load up your favorite copy of TIE Fighter, Doppel, 'cause you're going to need it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #4029
Heather
Gay Dragon Rider

regardless of Dr. Ford, Kavanaugh has no business sitiing on the SCOTUS and again ignoring the entire wall of black smoke he waved through with Dr. Ford at the end his judicial history shows it plenty. This man, much like Trump, is not Republican. They're a through-and-through corporatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Mint Earhart
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate