UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #1
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Pikachu Sun & Moon Playthroughs

The games are out! Hurray! Feel free to use this thread to talk about your progress and your team and other stuff about the game. However you should probably put plot spoilers in a tag to be nice to people.

I got to play a little bit early so I'm a tiny bit ahead of some people. However I am a completionist so I don't like to advance until I got everything. So I'm only on the second island. I'm also... playing both games at the same time. Sun is using XP share and Moon isn't.

Current Progress:
Moon
Level 23 Torracat
Level 20 Butterfree

Sun
Level 25 Dartix
Level 23 Magnemite

Not sure who the 3rd on both teams should be. My Moon team gets destroyed by Rock and my Sun team doesn't do too well against fires. For Sun I'm considering a Flash Fire Growlithe but I'd like maybe a new Fire type if any show up. Not sure how to deal with the Rock weakness on Moon since a ground, fighting or steel would still have two of my Pokemon other weaknesses. Oh well. Magnemite learned Fighting type Hidden Power which.. should be interesting.

Also clothes are really expensive god damn.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

You have both? I know what you're doing in there... Not subtle at all!

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Stop trading with yourself, Kuno, there are children on this forum!!

Spoiler: show
LUSAMINE

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE HAG HENTAI

WHICH IS A STRANGE FEELING CONSIDERING SHE'S MY WIFE
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Lady Kuno

I found out how to get Feebas in Sun/Moon. Probably old news for everyone but

In Brooklet Hill you have to fish only at the spots where there is rippling water for a chance to find it. The ripple moves after a catch or if you "run" with Lapras while moving around. The ripples seem to move in a set order. I spent a lot of time fishing at random and surfing and couldn't find shit, I only saw it on a ripple (only saw a wild Washiwashi at a ripple too).

Old 11-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Working my way up to my first trial (first one on the second island, anyway). And man, did they ramp up the difficulty in this game! That one Ace Trainer who makes use of Red Cards? He swept me the first time around! Freaking Stealth Rock on his Rockruff, and he was able to take out Torracat and Rockruff in just one turn, taking advantage of how slow his Slowpoke was! Like, Torracat attacked, activated the Red Card, had to bring in Rockruff, which Slowpoke KO'd with Water Gun, and then bringing Torracat back in finished it off from the Stealth Rock. I mean, I couldn't even stay mad at that, I was that impressed with how strategic that was! Team right now is as follows;

Rockruff lv. 20 (male) @Hard Stone
Bashful nature
Vital Spirit
~Rock Throw
~Bite
~Howl
~Sand Attack

Torracat lv. 24 (male) @Normalium Z
Adamant nature
Blaze
~Fire Fang
~Scratch
~Work Up
~Bite

Yeah, I know, Breakneck Blitz off of Scratch ain't exactly the best Z-move out there, but it's all I can do at the moment, and it's been a big help more than once.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Man I have to say I did not anticipate this game being legitimately challenging for a Pokémon game after the rather sad displays of difficulty we had for the last two. Turning off the EXP share genuinely puts you behind the level curve.

Thank god I'm not Nuzlocking because I would have wiped at least 5 times so far.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Just beat Totem Wishiwashi! This was the one I was nervous about, I'm not gonna lie. How I did it was, I led with a Steenee, and on a hunch, switched to Torracat. I was right- I had baited Wishiwashi into using Soak, turning Torracat into a Water-type. From there, I used a Dire Hit, spammed Work Up, couple Bites and a Breakneck Blitz later, victory!

EDIT: ...I am going to be rich by the time I actually catch a Mareanie. I've fished up tons of Pearls, a couple of Big Pearls, and even a Pearl String, but no Corsola yet.

EDIT II: OK, so it seems that you can save in front of rippling fishing spots, fish something up, reset if you no like, and it still ripples. I'm trying that now to get Corsola to show its face.

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 11-18-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Missingno. Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:50 PM   #8
satosere
Cascade Badge

OML this game is AWESOME! It's so much better than X and Y, story wise.

I do have to say that Lillie is a weenie lol
Old 11-19-2016, 12:05 AM   #9
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So Mareanie is the cutest thing in the history of existence.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:12 AM   #10
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I just finished the first Island. I'm taking this pretty slowly for the most part. For almost the entire first island, I couldn't make up my mind on who I want on my party, so Torracat has been doing everything. I found the holy sanctuary of Petililis, so I captured one of those. I just have to figure out whether or not I can get it a sun stone before level 28. Despair hit me when Mr. Move Professor went to show me how to use Z Moves. He went to fight....a wild fucking Growlithe. A wild Growlithe when I wanted to use a Vulpix. So much for messing with that adorable white thing!

Difficulty-wise, I came across a few hurdles here and there, but for the most part, Torracat just crushes everything. That may change in island 2, which kind of worries me. Petilili can't do much until she evolves. A Pichu that I just happened to come across and catch has been surprisingly helpful. In a few battles that almost led to my demise, he landed some helpful ailments and debuffs.

I have been having some immature fun with the theme-park thing. One funny thing is that any time you are asked a personal question, in an attempt to not hurt the player's feelings, it will always have a good response. I have answered in the most sleazeball ways possible, but the person always responds positively.

"What kind of people are your friends?"
"Old men (female character)"

"Do you ever keep secrets?"
"Never."

Also any time I come across a guy with a design I don't like, I always tell him that he'll love the Ball Shop. I'm sure he'll love to eat there with his damn skull tanktop and black everything. When I saw the comments about trainers, I thought I hit a gold mine in the "favorite trainers" bit, because "Preschoolers" are trainers, but sadly instead of "I like boy preschoolers.", it's "I like battling boy preschoolers.". I guess they saw that coming.

(very minor plot spoilers)
I actually kind of like Team Skull. They're dumbasses like anime Team Rocket, but they're actually funny. I can't help but laugh every time they show up.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:13 AM   #11
Lady Kuno

I added an Araquanid to my Sun team and a Formantis to my Moon team. \o/ I have a bug type on both of my 3-pokemon teams. >_>

Twitch Plays Pokemon is also playing Sun if you want to watch them send all their party Pokemon to a box when they catch a Pokemon and be stuck in Festival Plaza for all eternity.

ALSO I figured out how to FINALLY get a Happiny to appear.

A Muchlax has to call for help for it to show up

Old 11-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

You can also get her in the first city if you chain Pichu.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
Lady Kuno

I'm thinking of dropping Araquanid from my Sun team. It's speed is so bad. While it's Special Def stat is nuts, all its other stats are kinda underwhelming.

Edit: I just looked up Water Bubble and it has a hidden "water moves do double damage" thing.. oh. That's a game changer.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #14
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Alright, I'm on the third island. Team's looking pretty decent, here it is thus far;

Golisopod (male) lv. 33 @Waterium Z
Bashful nature
Emergency Exit
~Leech Life
~Scald
~First Impression
~Sucker Punch

Salazzle (female) lv. 33 @Firium Z
Relaxed nature
Corrosion
~Flame Burst
~Venoshock
~Dragon Rage
~Nasty Plot

Mareanie (female) lv. 33 @Waterium Z
Calm nature
Limber
~Scald
~Venoshock
~Toxic
~Recover

Midnight Lycanroc (male) lv. 33 @Rockium Z
Bashful nature
Vital Spirit
~Rock Tomb
~Brick Break
~Bite
~Rock Polish

Incineroar (male) lv. 35 @Firium Z
Adamant nature
Blaze
~Fire Fang
~Darkest Lariat
~Leech Life
~Bulk Up
Old 11-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
Lady Kuno

Apparently friendship stays even if you trade. Traded my starter to my other game for dex, traded back, and found an NPC that says how friendly someone is. It's at a very high level.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #16
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
I'm thinking of dropping Araquanid from my Sun team. It's speed is so bad. While it's Special Def stat is nuts, all its other stats are kinda underwhelming.

Edit: I just looked up Water Bubble and it has a hidden "water moves do double damage" thing.. oh. That's a game changer.
Yeah, it might have some mediocre stats, but Water Bubble more than makes up for it.

It gets a Water type Crunch, Liquidation, late game. So couple that with an immunity to Burn, and double the base damage (170 Base Power with a defense drop on the opposing Pokemon for Liquidation), plus the fact that "all water moves" includes the water z move, and you can see some of the reasons that Araquanid is one of my favorites this gen. One of the others being that I'm a sucker for spiders.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #17
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schala View Post
Yeah, it might have some mediocre stats, but Water Bubble more than makes up for it.

It gets a Water type Crunch, Liquidation, late game. So couple that with an immunity to Burn, and double the base damage (170 Base Power with a defense drop on the opposing Pokemon for Liquidation), plus the fact that "all water moves" includes the water z move, and you can see some of the reasons that Araquanid is one of my favorites this gen. One of the others being that I'm a sucker for spiders.
Yeah, god damn. I was reading some number testing and it even freaking out damages Keldeo with Hydro Pump. Like.. holy shit. It basically has Thick Fat, super Adaptability, and Water Veil all in one ability? Who approved that? On top of that it has absolute sick Sp.Def, and Assault Vest + Leech Life makes it obscene. Especially with that Leech Life boost. You can also run it for Doubles with Wide Guard + Entrainment.

Water types got soooo much good shit this gen. Hello rain, my old friend.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Connor
Flashbacker

The crazier thing is that for some reason the ability description prioritised Fire and burn resistance above "all my Water moves have double power".
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #19
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Why run AV and Leech Life (when sadly its just not going to do a lot of damage) when you can run Band and murder everything?

(You can, and should, also run Scald.)
Old 11-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #20
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Why run Scald when you can run Lunge, which drops the foe's attack every time it lands and hits just as hard as Leech Life?

Especially given that terrible base 50 SA.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #21
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Yeah, god damn. I was reading some number testing and it even freaking out damages Keldeo with Hydro Pump. Like.. holy shit. It basically has Thick Fat, super Adaptability, and Water Veil all in one ability? Who approved that? On top of that it has absolute sick Sp.Def, and Assault Vest + Leech Life makes it obscene. Especially with that Leech Life boost. You can also run it for Doubles with Wide Guard + Entrainment.

Water types got soooo much good shit this gen. Hello rain, my old friend.
I can't wait to see the hilarious things people pull off in doubles. People were running damage calcs swapping Water Bubble to Kyogre in the discovery thread, for example. Araquanid also gets Power Split if you want to do a defensive spread and then buff the Attack off of an opponent's physical sweeper. And they nerfed Gale Wing Talonflame hard this gen! It is a good gen for bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
The crazier thing is that for some reason the ability description prioritised Fire and burn resistance above "all my Water moves have double power".
Classic Gamefreak, I suppose. This isn't the first time they've left things out of descriptions, though it might be the biggest hidden buff ever.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #22
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Scald still does better damage because of Water Bubble.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #23
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Scald still does better damage because of Water Bubble.
Its attack is higher than its special attack. As for band and stuff, I generally like more versitile sets. Leech Life is SE against stuff that might resist water. Plus sometimes the element of surprise can win things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schala View Post
I can't wait to see the hilarious things people pull off in doubles. People were running damage calcs swapping Water Bubble to Kyogre in the discovery thread, for example. Araquanid also gets Power Split if you want to do a defensive spread and then buff the Attack off of an opponent's physical sweeper. And they nerfed Gale Wing Talonflame hard this gen! It is a good gen for bugs!

Classic Gamefreak, I suppose. This isn't the first time they've left things out of descriptions, though it might be the biggest hidden buff ever.
What happened to Gale Wing? I heard all the -ite abilities (Pixilate, etc) got reduced damage boosts. Part of why I like Araquanid is potential Doubles craziness. I'm pumped. I wanna use one on either a singles or doubles team so bad.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #24
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
What happened to Gale Wing? I heard all the -ite abilities (Pixilate, etc) got reduced damage boosts. Part of why I like Araquanid is potential Doubles craziness. I'm pumped. I wanna use one on either a singles or doubles team so bad.
It only works when HP is full now. Meaning no priority Roost, and no priority Brave Bird after the first. It's a huge nerf.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #25
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Current team on Moon, just out of Diglett's Cave:

Lv. 26 Dartrix
Lv. 25 Crabrawler
Lv. 25 Ribombee
Lv. 26 Oricorio (Pom-Pom)
Lv. 24 Salandit

I caught a shiny Salandit, but it's not the Salandit I'm using. Pom-Pom Oricorio has been my MVP on this island so far, even without an Electric STAB move, thanks to her being able to use both Feather Dance and Confide. I was intrigued at the comments here about how difficult the level curve gets when you turn Exp. Share off, so I switched it off somewhere before Lana's trial and can feel the level curve gradually catching up.

Has the "baby Pokemon have three perfect IVs" thing been maintained this gen? I've been wondering about it with all the wild baby 'mon running around.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON