UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The Hobbit

BORKED

The trailer for The Hobbit was released yesterday. In just one and a half days, the video already has somewhere between 6 and 9 million views. Suffice to say, it looks very well-made and will be a very fun return to Middle-earth. Really like the casting decision for Bilbo: Martin Freeman is the perfect stand-in for Ian Holm as the young Bilbo Baggins and his range of gestures and facial expressions shown in this trailer give great hope that he's really captured the essence of the character and brought him to life. Haven't read the book before, so some things in the trailer didn't stand out to me like they did for others: notably, Galadriel has a scene in the trailer with Gandalf but apparently she wasn't even in the book. But it looks like Peter Jackson was able to make things worth everyone's while: all of the actors from the Lord of the Rings films have returned here to reprise their roles, including poor Christopher Lee (Saruman) who reportedly didn't want to reprise his role because he's too old to be flying to New Zealand. (Awww. He turns 90 this May.) Orlando Bloom returns as Legolas (didn't know he was in the story; interesting) and Elijah Wood returns as Frodo for some scenes that take place in the present (with the bulk of the film presented as a sort of story or flashback). Richard Armitage is playing Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the group.

Now for some unexpected bad news: they're splitting this up into two separate films. ^^; That's good news for us in the long run: more Hobbit goodness for everyone. But for those of us living in the here and now, it's kind of a bum deal: we have to wait one whole year before Part 1, titled An Unexpected Journey, comes out on December 14, 2012; and we have to wait another year beyond that for Part 2, titled There and Back Again, to come out on December 13, 2013. Kinda makes me wish the trailer for this hadn't been revealed until November 2012, so I'd have to wait less time for these movies. ^^;

Thoughts? Hopes? Concerns? Anticipations?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

The trailer looks amazing and every man in this movie is extremely attractive (without make up).

Yeah.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I am freaking out excited for this movie. I am a huge Tolkien fan (pretty sure LOTR is my favorite book ever) and have been eagerly awaiting this trailer for a while.

I loved the trailer. I am a bit nervous about the Galadriel-Gandalf stuff, as well as Rivendell, cameos by the LOTR cast, etc. though, simply because they never happened in the book. I'm always iffy about stuff like that. For example, my major complaint with Peter Jackson's ROTK is the way they portray Saruman/Wormtounge's deaths and the lack of the Burning of the Shire - I hate it when events in movies go directly contrary to great books, to the point that it seems like the filmmaker is trying to correct the book.

I think that this was split into 2 primarily because Jackson's going to go for a crapload of integration with LOTR and Tolkien mythology as a whole. He wants this to feel like a more complete work.

I'm extremely pumped for this. I was caught off guard by just how damn good the trailer quality itself was. They're doing amazing things with that.

Spoiler: show
Also, I think the scene with Galadriel takes place in the Grey Havens, which means that Cirdan the Shipwright would be there... which means that that might be the scene where Cirdan passes Gandalf his Elven ring.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The best part of the trailer was how when Gollum was talking to Bilbo, we heard the Fellowship's theme music. I liked FotR most of all so that was quite pleasing.

The Hobbit is an adventure story and is much simpler than the later LotR...so I don't know why Jackson is trying to incorporate all these references. Yes, Legolas was alive during The Hobbit but he was no one of significance back then.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Completely agree, Dopple. I think he's really just going for a continuity thing.

I'm a little anxious to see how they'll do talking animals without looking cartoonish, though.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

they label the trailer as a teaser. its far from that

the only tease is waiting till Dec

I can't wait
Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Wobbuffet

My first experience with a Hobbit film.

I don't think I'll be seeing this one, sorry. Too many awful memories
Old 01-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post

That's a horrible reason not to see this film... they'll be done in completely different styles, 35 years apart, by completely different people >>
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

I havent seen the trailer, yet but am excited to see The Hobbit. I loved reading the book.
TheNthDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Soulmaster
Pokemon Trainer

i've been backing since the beginning so i'm pretty excited
Soulmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
How did I miss this? Excellent! I also am really looking forward to the Hobbit.

From the trailer, it seems they added some things that have nothing to do with the Book, but for all intents and purposes it looks like they fleshed out the action to much better quality then the Book.

They better have included the Breaking Plates song (That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates) the Dwarves sing in Bilbo's house, it was most excellent in the earlier film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post

How could you think that! That was an Excellent film! I especially liked how they included many of the ballads/songs from the book.

That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates and The Greatest Adventure were excellent songs. Even the Orcs sung like in the book!

Last edited by unownmew; 02-09-2012 at 10:09 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Air New Zealand safety video

Apparently they teamed up with WETA Workshops to make this (though the only thing that really seemed to require WETA's touch was that Gollum cameo). Amusing to me to see how LotR has become a New Zealand national treasure even though it has nothing to do with Tolkien himself. But at the same time it's cute.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
At least they made sure all the kids watch the safety instructions.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #14
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
How did I miss this? Excellent! I also am really looking forward to the Hobbit.

From the trailer, it seems they added some things that have nothing to do with the Book, but for all intents and purposes it looks like they fleshed out the action to much better quality then the Book.

They better have included the Breaking Plates song (That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates) the Dwarves sing in Bilbo's house, it was most excellent in the earlier film.

How could you think that! That was an Excellent film! I especially liked how they included many of the ballads/songs from the book.

That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates and The Greatest Adventure were excellent songs. Even the Orcs sung like in the book!
the only downside? the DVD totally cut out background noises when they kill baddies. old vhs and tv releases had everything
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

update for double post

just got back from screening it at my theater. its freaking epic awesome

only watched 2D. will see 3D later

comparisons for that trailer above(warning SPOILERS)
that scene of Gandalf walking around that ruined castle(Dol Guldur) will most likely be in movie 2 after he leaves the group.
the scene of Bilbo looking at the Shards of Narsil in Rivendell, movie 1 extended edition is my guess

Last edited by RaichuRocks; 12-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.
RaichuRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Still haven't seen the film (and may even opt to save my money and just wait for the now three films to come out on DVD) but I did notice that the critics haven't been especially kind ... nor have audiences! According to RottenTomatoes.con, only 81% of viewers gave The Hobbit a thumbs up (compare this with Fellowship's score of 92%) and only 65% of film critics approved (vs. Fellowship's score of again 92%). Ouch. So let's see what the critics have to say, shall we?

Spoiler tagging because some of these comments make direct reference to specific scenes or characters in the film:

The Atlantic's Christopher Orr writes:
Quote:
The irony of all this recycling is that Tolkien's Lord of the Rings was so rich an epic that Jackson could pick and choose what to keep and what to leave out: no Tom Bombadil, for instance, and no Radagast the Brown. Stretching The Hobbit out to eight or nine or 10 cinematic hours, by contrast, requires not concision but almost constant augmentation. So Radagast, omitted from Jackson's Rings trilogy, is awkwardly given a principal role in his Hobbit. And prepare yourselves: He drives a sleigh pulled by bunnies.
This was precisely my main concern when they revealed the movie would be split in two, even more so when I learned today that they planned to split it into three. Nothing pisses me off more than stalling via made-for-TV/cinema padding, and it looks like this film may be very much guilty of that.

Ann Hornaday of the Washington Post writes:
Quote:
After years of stops, starts, Barnum-esque hype and rumors of game-changing technology, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” has finally arrived, not on wings of gossamer fancy but with a hairy-footed thud.

It’s a bloated, shockingly tedious trudge that manages to look both overproduced and unforgivably cheesy. As the first of director Peter Jackson’s trilogy -- the prequel to his adaptation of “The Lord of the Rings” -- it may well please the franchise’s most devoted fans, who will no doubt savor the chance to traipse through J.R.R. Tolkien’s imaginative landscape populated by dwarfs, elves, goblins, trolls and the appealingly winsome title character. “An Unexpected Journey” even features a few especially beloved Rings favorites, including the pallid, stringy-haired Gollum (Andy Serkis) and elven beauty Galadriel (Cate Blanchett), not to mention the beatific wizard Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen).

But purely on its own terms, “An Unexpected Journey” can’t be seen as anything but a disappointment, a dreary, episodic series of lumbering walk-talk-fight sequences that often looks less like genuine cinema than a large-scale video game, its high-def aesthetic and mushy close-ups perfectly suited to its presumed end-use on a living room wall or iPhone.
Dayum.

Richard Roeper offers:
Quote:
There's no denying the majesty in Peter Jackson's visuals but he's taken a relatively slim children's book and stretched it beyond the limits.
Tom Charity of CNN:
Quote:
(CNN) - They say the longest journey starts with a single step.

But with "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," the first in a trilogy adapted from J.R.R. Tolkien's first novel, Peter Jackson has taken a different approach: He's gone two steps forward and three steps back.

In the process he's undoubtedly made himself a whole lot richer. "The Hobbit" is dominating screen space across the globe this weekend, and will certainly be among the biggest moneymakers of the year. But he's also jeopardized the legacy of his own "Lord of the Rings."

Fans won't want to hear it, but "An Unexpected Journey" is a major comedown, a muddle-headed and cumbersome piece of filmmaking that betrays Jackson's mercenary motives -- Tolkien's book, too. "The Hobbit" is far lighter work than what followed, and at approximately 350 pages, hardly crying out for the 10-hour magnum opus treatment (but three films are so much more profitable than one!)

In just shy of three hours, "An Unexpected Journey" takes the story up to chapter seven -- about 140 pages in my paperback edition.
Yeah, this sounds like my #1 fear has been confirmed. It's pretty typical for a 300-page novel to adapt cleanly (few or no scene cuts) into a 2-hour film. There was no reason this book couldn't have been handled in one 3-hour film. But no. 140 pages for the first three hours, and God knows how little for the next three, before we stumble across the finish line with the end of the book and more made-for-cinema scenes in the third film. Blegh.

Hopefully the critics are wrong but when they're all harping on what's been my fear since I created this thread last year, it doesn't bode well for me. If my family wants to go see this one, then sure, but otherwise I think I'll wait until 2014 before starting on these. Not in any particular rush, and I hate being left hanging for a year.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Unless the scenes are blatant/cheesy, I think people are probably going in with the predetermined narrative that the film was too long. It's a legitimate concern, of course, but we shan't let that taint our objectivity, as seems to not be the standard anymore with critics.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Unless the scenes are blatant/cheesy, I think people are probably going in with the predetermined narrative that the film was too long. It's a legitimate concern, of course, but we shan't let that taint our objectivity, as seems to not be the standard anymore with critics.
Maybe. Guess we'll see once more nerds and young people review the film.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I went out for a milkshake, but right before that, my room-mate told me he saw The Hobbit and found it "meh". The primary reason: it was too long.

"I respected it. But that was it."
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I did not enjoy it. I give it a C.

Talon, I would recommend that you save your money. It's visually beautiful... but that's about it.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Giving it a C as a film all on its own, do you believe that it might be more enjoyable when watched shortly (hours, days, less than a month) before the second or third film in the set? Or are its problems such that the film, whether stand-alone or first in a trilogy, is just plain "C meh" period?

It'll be interesting (read: ugh ~_~ ) to see in the coming years how much of the film's weaknesses are blamed on Peter Jackson, how much are blamed on Guillermo del Toro (whose contributions Jackson insisted he wanted to preserve, even when he didn't personally find them best), and how much are blamed on a third party or parties. One film critic wrote that this film threatens to jeopardize Jackson's legacy as built up by the Lord of the Rings trilogy. If true, I think it'll be inevitable then that he might try to shirk some of that blame and say "THIS WAS GUILLERMO'S FAULT! " or something. But we'll see, we'll see. Certainly the degree to which he accepts blame for various criticisms and the manner in which he handles said criticisms will be very telling about his character. Crossing one's fingers for the best, and hoping Jackson takes the public's various disappointments with the film (pacing, exposition, silly fluff scenes, etc) to heart and can perhaps use them during the editing process currently ongoing for Movies #2 and #3 to turn out better films.

That stated, it is worth noting that the majority of both film critics and the public enjoyed the film. 65% of critics liked the film, not disliked it, and 81% of the public. M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender this is decidedly not.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
It'll be interesting (read: ugh ~_~ ) to see in the coming years how much of the film's weaknesses are blamed on Peter Jackson, how much are blamed on Guillermo del Toro (whose contributions Jackson insisted he wanted to preserve, even when he didn't personally find them best), and how much are blamed on a third party or parties. One film critic wrote that this film threatens to jeopardize Jackson's legacy as built up by the Lord of the Rings trilogy. If true, I think it'll be inevitable then that he might try to shirk some of that blame and say "THIS WAS GUILLERMO'S FAULT! " or something.
I totally forgot del Toro was involved with this!

All the more reason to not throw my lots in with the "Pacific Rim will be good" crowd.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Giving it a C as a film all on its own, do you believe that it might be more enjoyable when watched shortly (hours, days, less than a month) before the second or third film in the set? Or are its problems such that the film, whether stand-alone or first in a trilogy, is just plain "C meh" period?

It'll be interesting (read: ugh ~_~ ) to see in the coming years how much of the film's weaknesses are blamed on Peter Jackson, how much are blamed on Guillermo del Toro (whose contributions Jackson insisted he wanted to preserve, even when he didn't personally find them best), and how much are blamed on a third party or parties. One film critic wrote that this film threatens to jeopardize Jackson's legacy as built up by the Lord of the Rings trilogy. If true, I think it'll be inevitable then that he might try to shirk some of that blame and say "THIS WAS GUILLERMO'S FAULT! " or something. But we'll see, we'll see. Certainly the degree to which he accepts blame for various criticisms and the manner in which he handles said criticisms will be very telling about his character. Crossing one's fingers for the best, and hoping Jackson takes the public's various disappointments with the film (pacing, exposition, silly fluff scenes, etc) to heart and can perhaps use them during the editing process currently ongoing for Movies #2 and #3 to turn out better films.

That stated, it is worth noting that the majority of both film critics and the public enjoyed the film. 65% of critics liked the film, not disliked it, and 81% of the public. M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender this is decidedly not.
It is a plain "C" period, but I think that watching it right before the second or third Hobbit film would help, just because it has a very arbitrary cut off point. The only downside to this is that if you do watch it before the others, you might not want to see the others...

Is Del Toro a big actions scene guy? Because if so, a lot of the blame for the movie definitely rests on him. The pacing is all Jackson, though, and even that wouldn't be a problem if they filled it with the right stuff...
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Is Del Toro a big actions scene guy? Because if so, a lot of the blame for the movie definitely rests on him. The pacing is all Jackson, though, and even that wouldn't be a problem if they filled it with the right stuff...
The only Guillermo Del Toro movie I have ever seen is the peculiar Pan's Labyrinth. But you may better recognize the man's exploits from such films as Hellboy (Director, Writer), the upcoming Pacific Rim (Director, Writer), and Blade II (Director). So yeah, I wouldn't say he's a stranger to action. But given such films as Pan's Labyrinth, I think it'd be pretty unfair to pigeonhole him as a Michael Bay "ASPLOSIONS! MORE ASPLOSIONS!" type.

The sad thing is, if you look at his filmography on Wikipedia, you can clearly see that the very first film he served as director for following his abandonment of The Hobbit ... was Pacific Rim. ^^; So he basically left The Hobbit ... to go and work on that. Man. Dunno what he was thinking but WHATEVER. ^^;
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hellboy and Men in Black are the only "comic book" movies I can get enthusiastic about (I have yet to see V for Vendetta). A big part of that is they're not based on the obnoxious cape comics, but the direction and action are a lot different in both. It's tough to articulate since it's been a while since I saw both, but I'd say...a lot of cape comics try to turn the hero into an everyman with super-powers. The J, K and Hellboy felt like make-believe characters given life/personality. In that sense, one could say, they felt much more natural being lifted off the page of a comic than Spiderman/Batman or whatever.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment