UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

View Poll Results: What direction should UPN go in?
Stay the same, you stupid whore! 5 25.00%
Bring back the glory! Make UPN updated all the time! 6 30.00%
Make UPN into a niche, for battling such as in-game, PASBL and/or FB 5 25.00%
Make UPN into something different. Pokemon was so 1998...pssh 0 0%
More or less the same, but with added fanwork emphasis. 4 20.00%
SUPER COOL BLASTOISE FANCLUB 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
Snorlax What will become of UPN?

We've been talking about this recently, so I figured a poll would be easier.

I know UPN hasn't really stayed mainstream with Bulbapedia/Serebii in several years.
So the question is: Do we change UPN? And if so, to what? Or do we leave things as is?
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Emp
Volcano Badge

UPN's main strength has got to be Text-RPs, it's the only place I've seen with RPs still going strong after five years. Its members are comprised of members of these two RPs albeit a few veterans who hang around the Misc. I think the best to focus on our current members instead of focusing on something completely different. Bulbagarden has its wiki to go off, Serebii is good for its information and Pokebeach is good for its news. You'll have trouble competing with those unless you have your own USP to go off. GPX+ is a recent success story to go off of. Does anyone here have any programming skills and a good idea?

Just remember this isn't a business though, too much change will put off existing members. I'd bet a few of the vets are complacent with how things are :\

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

PASBL and FB is already our niche.

Options one and three are almost the same.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Stlbk
taco...

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
UPN's main strength has got to be Text-RPs, it's the only place I've seen with RPs still going strong after five years. Its members are comprised of members of these two RPs albeit a few veterans who hang around the Misc. I think the best to focus on our current members instead of focusing on something completely different. Bulbagarden has its wiki to go off, Serebii is good for its information and Pokebeach is good for its news. You'll have trouble competing with those unless you have your own USP to go off. GPX+ is a recent success story to go off of. Does anyone here have any programming skills and a good idea?

Just remember this isn't a business though, too much change will put off existing members. I'd bet a few of the vets are complacent with how things are :\
I happen to agree.
This isn't for business, just for something to bring more vigor to the board itself.
In the end, the thing I want is for UPN not to die out, as I'm sure everyone else here feels the same way.
And that's why I think it would help if we had a greater influx of people.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Stlbk
taco...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
PASBL and FB is already our niche.

Options one and three are almost the same.
Doubling posting...shame on me...

IF this is the direction Kuno/everyone wants to go with, why not make it more apparent to outside people?
Utilize more of the main website, but that's just my opinion.
Any suggestions to make things better is definitely well appreciated!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

You have met Kuno right? lol
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Loki has the right answer here.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Stlbk
taco...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Loki has the right answer here.
So why not design the website/forums more around these two things?

I'm just saying, might help get more people if they know you're there. ^_~
Old 02-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Lady Kuno

I'm fucking lazy. And busy. Mostly lazy. I don't have the know-how to do anything more then a basic html page. Nor do I really want to. If someone else wants to though then they can have fun with it idc.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Dunno about the motives of anyone else who had ever worked on it but for the record I didn't work on the site to get famous or make it mainstream or nothing I just did it for fun O.o being relevant or not never mattered! Ya all can aim for the stars if ya want though! I feel its kinda like a community site and everyone makes what they like of it! PKMN is gonna be around for a long long time so there'll always be some content to draw from it. Just promise you'll never be content thieves like certain unnameable places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFox View Post
So why not design the website/forums more around these two things?
I'm not familiar with FB and stuff nor the latest games for that matter!

Quote:
I'm fucking lazy. And busy. Mostly lazy. I don't have the know-how to do anything more then a basic html page. Nor do I really want to. If someone else wants to though then they can have fun with it idc.
This is how I ended up with the job of running the site almost by myself for however many years lol

I was always going around asking for help but hardly anyone in our little community cared enough ta help out! These days you'd find even less people who care about it x_x;

Also since the current server we're on doesn't support/doesn't have enabled SSI (shtml) all of our current code is well... useless! Just look at the site now it sucks lol. Someone would have to recode every single page but into what format? Frames? eww... I dunno but thats a big issue right there. If SSI were working it wouldn't be too bad a situation but it can't be helped!

Last edited by Lindz; 02-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Lady Kuno

The thing with SSI is the last time it was used mainstream was the last time UPN was relevant. There's better ways to do layout stuff now (I just have no idea).

Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
Stlbk
taco...

Quote:
The thing with SSI is the last time it was used mainstream was the last time UPN was relevant. There's better ways to do layout stuff now (I just have no idea).
I think the trend these days is more towards templates, which feel very much like a cookie-cutter website.
I'm trying to work more in web development myself, but I am by no means a seasoned webmaster.

What about using a wikipedia sort of thing? I know bulbapedia does that, and it already has a predefined format.
Also it'd probably make it easier for multiple people to update PASBL/FB stuff like rankings/rules, etc.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
What about using a wikipedia sort of thing? I know bulbapedia does that, and it already has a predefined format.
Also it'd probably make it easier for multiple people to update PASBL/FB stuff like rankings/rules, etc.
You read my mind because that's what I've been thinking for the past 24 hours ;o

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #14
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

I don't know, what about making UPN into more of a creative hub? RPing tends to involve creativity, so we have a tendency to attract those who are also into the fanfiction/fanart aspect of things. Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be nice to have a really solid archive of good stories and art. Better still if we were to have actual concrit available, instead of "lol 10/10 grate i rly liekd it ur so gewd im jelous!!!1" that one gets... everywhere else.

Just a little interest of mine, and a gap I've noticed in the Pokeemanz community over the years. Make of it what you will!

すれ違うだけの距離が歯痒い 手を伸ばせば届きそうなのに
意味があるのなら教えて欲しい 締め付ける胸の痛みの
「イツダッテ ウソミタイ アイシタテ ノ ユメミライ」

f i z z y b u b b l e s | w i l d f u t u r e

Quote:
morningstar - Today at 12:46 PM
her whole being is Arashi

AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #15
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Been there done that. The Wiki was pretty much useless and only a few people kept FB and ASB personal stuff on it. That was it.

Also I'm not entirely satisfied by an open Wiki when it comes to things like ASB rules; there's a lot of conflicting stuff, especially when it comes to ASB rulings, and even if I'd like to have a place to keep them, if everyone has access to it, it could become a pain in the ass to sort out. For now, my mental stash of what Muyo's said is probably the best until we can get a more permanent list.

But I am junior LO so.

Anyways, more on topic, I totally support ABL's idea. I've always kind of wanted a good place for Pokemon Multimedia, which has always been something shoved to the backburner of Pokemon, despite having a rich talent base and a lot of potential. I think we have a solid existing base here that could help kick that off if we restore some of the old forums. If we pull some of the folks from FB and ASB into these forums and actually give them like... decent, intelligent responses to their work, we might be able to re-expand through word of mouth.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Really depends on what you're going for. If you want "high quality" members - people like the Misc vets who hang around a long time and give good conversation, that's kind of tough to get without a huge stream of newbies coming in here and sifting through them.

High membership, I think, would have to be Pokemon anime spoilers or some episode screens. I don't know if BMG or SPP already do that, but it's what gets people to Arlong Park. Only after they're sick of OP do they look at what else the forum has to offer, and its in those other forums that they become part of the community.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
Lady Kuno

I only go to AP's OP sections. >_>

Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
>Really depends on what you're going for. If you want "high quality" members - people like the Misc vets who hang around a long time and give good conversation, that's kind of tough to get without a huge stream of newbies coming in here and sifting through them.
A lot of the time, to get those quality members, you're going to need to newbies. Sometimes you get lucky and the people are seasoned enough at other Internet things that they blend in really well. More often than not, however, you gotta start small and kind of "train" them to be good Internet people. Look at Hana; she came into the ASB at like 11 and had to adapt to the environment before she became a big member of the gang. I was much the same, coming into FB at a young age as a little, incompetent newbie and eventually became a fairly well-known member of both ASB and UPN.

Both of these cases are admittedly rare and take some time to happen, but if they do, we may see a fair increase in our number of respectable members. We're just gonna have to take the newbies as they come and keep a tight leash on those who misbehave, like other sites.
Quote:
>High membership, I think, would have to be Pokemon anime spoilers or some episode screens. I don't know if BMG or SPP already do that, but it's what gets people to Arlong Park.
SPPf has been doing it forever. Though the tried and true Pokemon Anime Site is probably #pocketmonsters, as they actually do it right and in a similar format to Arlong Park (from what I know if Arlong Park).

However, you overestimate the power of the Pokemon Anime. It's a sideshow to the games and often doesn't attract as much press. Since the Anime is the way most people get One Piece, it's going to attract a big following. Most people, however, follow the games much, much more closely.

You also have to realize that this is a series intended for children between the ages of like 8 and 14. We're the outliers in terms of the fandom, and while people like us tend to stick around enough to run the show, member base is going to come from the younger folks. When you're talking Anime (particularly for English speakers), you're going to get a lot more little kids, since Pokemon has always been and still is broadcast in that Saturday Morning prime cartoon spot.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
An opinion from a fairly new member, since I wouldn't mind see UPN changing slightly:

If you're trying to get new members, you really need to have one section that UPN excels in compared to other sites (basically SPP and BMG). You've already got FB and ASB, both of which already attract members, SPP covers the anime and gaming news pretty well, and BMG have their Wiki.

Based on this, your best bet to get members will probably be to focus on fanwork as ABL suggested, as the other sites aren't really known for their fanart or fanfics to my knowledge, although I don't know BMG too well. With the lack of newbies on here, people will be able to get a decent review of their art/fics, which would draw in more members. Not to mention the fact that FB, ASB and fanwork together will collect a large amount of people with different interests, which may add more people/topics to the Misc. section. From there, you should be able to draw in attention through members recommending UPN to others.

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #20
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
I think the trend these days is more towards templates, which feel very much like a cookie-cutter website.
I'm trying to work more in web development myself, but I am by no means a seasoned webmaster.

Ya can't be anti-cookie-cutter and pro wiki use. Wikis and blogs all look the same its so annoying. The current UPN may be outdated in terms of design but at least its still kinda unique like that o.o
Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #21
Stlbk
taco...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Ya can't be anti-cookie-cutter and pro wiki use. Wikis and blogs all look the same its so annoying. The current UPN may be outdated in terms of design but at least its still kinda unique like that o.o
Ah, but I never said I disliked cookie-cutters...I just simply stated what is, lol.

I'm with everyone else, I think we need a niche or if we don't, just leave it the same and leave UPN in the past while preserving the close community we already have.

Wiki's can be controlled to limit who can manage the data, as far as I am aware, but I could definitely be wrong about this.
It would be easier than finding a template everyone likes and implementing it on the website.

There are so many roads to take, but it does seem through this thread that people would like more Fanart/PASBL/FB on the main website.
Now just to get those things on the main website......

And btw Lindz...I think the way you had it back then was very well done. You updated the site constantly and kept it going for several years, so please don't take any of this as an attack on you.

Let the debate continue!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #22
Lady Kuno

why arnt you on aim you shitting shit

Old 02-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #23
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Ah, but I never said I disliked cookie-cutters...I just simply stated what is, lol.
I misread ya!

Quote:
Wiki's can be controlled to limit who can manage the data, as far as I am aware, but I could definitely be wrong about this.
Thats true to some extent you can lockdown pages/registration from editting or view wouldbe changes before letting it go live I think?

Quote:
And btw Lindz...I think the way you had it back then was very well done. You updated the site constantly and kept it going for several years, so please don't take any of this as an attack on you.
Huuuuh? I never would think its a attack its not even my site! Its Kunos first and the communitys second! If people woulda wanted to change it back then and stuf I never woulda had a problem with it an the same goes for now ^_^

Quote:
why arnt you on aim you shitting shit
Who're ya refering to? It better not be me!!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #24
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
I only go to AP's OP sections. >_>
That's probably for the best. The community is pretty fractured right now, it's a big mess. The only real reason to go there would be for spoilers.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #25
Lady Kuno

It was meant for stlbk, lindz.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork