Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #151
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Elsie (Steel) vs DaisyInari (Bug)

Thoughts:
Spoiler: show
Words...just can't describe how bad that was. Six Niled by a type I should have comfortably beaten. After Steelix had an absolute ball with Dragon Tail.

A few horribly timed crits/misses on my side throughout, but that doesn't excuse getting 6-0d.

And my secret weapon was outed.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #152
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post

^_^ Poison types are just too awesome for me. Close though!

GG Dave, let's have a rematch sometime~
All I can say is thank Glod for Scolipede's naturally high Defence. Massively slipped up with that Fire Blast miss which turned the whole match back against me.

Great match Daisy, thanks for a challenging start to the tournament :]
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #153
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Shooting myself in the foot by saying this, but why exactly is Kyurem banned?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #154
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Because I want it, and Elsie is strongly against letting me have things I want.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #155
Emp
Volcano Badge

Scraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Shooting myself in the foot by saying this, but why exactly is Kyurem banned?
Stats.

Watching these logs has got me all hyped up. I'll see how work goes and might have a few matches tonight. Need to reclaim my title as UPN Champion '10 ;)
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #156
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You still hold that title. Last November's tournament was a themed one. So is this. I don't think anyone really places all that much value on 1st or last place in such tournaments where people are on uneven footing right from the get-go. (See: Lance vs. Koga, Green vs. Will, etc.) Though I must say, there have been some surprising matches so far. Bug Fire ... Bug Steel ... Grass Fire ... I've been quite surprised. Not sure how much of that is to blame on P-O's fickle hax ^^; and how much not, but whatever.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #157
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Lance vs. Koga
I seem to remember getting down to Kuno's final Dragonite thanks to Skuntank.

In relation to this tourny (videos to come later), I had a clear loss to Dave (Ice vs Poison) and the narrowest of victories over Daisy (Ice vs Bug).
Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #158
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Stats.
Didn't stop Smogon from making it OU. Actually, I remember people talking about dropping it to UU. Something about a really inopportune speed and poor offensive synergy. I have to say from experience, though, they kick ass on hail teams. And, imop, Ice kinda needs that little extra boost. :/
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #159
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Confirming win over Concept in a good battle that had me thinking a lot.

Not that that's hard since I suck.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #160
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I MISSED IT!

Also, quinto not leading with T-tar is making me sadface.

Why in hell was Deoxys-D and Speed forme banned? They are UU and OU man.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #161
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
I MISSED IT!

Also, quinto not leading with T-tar is making me sadface.

Why in hell was Deoxys-D and Speed forme banned? They are UU and OU man.
Speed Forme got send to Ubers not too long ago.

Have to agree with you about Defense Forme, though.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #162
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Lost 0-2 to Yuki in a good battle. My overall squad is pants vs Electric which necessitated using a team that I wouldn't usually run. That said I don't think I did too badly aside from missing that sodding baloon at the start.

GG Yuki. 2-1 now.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #163
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What you guys have to get through your head when you keep bringing up Smogon is, Smogon tiers work when you're playing traditionally. That means ...
  • 6v6 singles
  • no repeats
  • can have any combinations of elements you like
  • can have any combination of tier-permitted creatures you like
So for instance, Kyurem may be OU or UU in Smogon's listings because, despite its base stat total (BST), it just can't hold up against a fighting-heavy, rock-heavy OU metagame. Stone Edge is everywhere, Mach Punch is everywhere, SubFocus Punch is not uncommon even in OU ... not to mention that, thanks to his ice type, Kyurem loses his resistance to fire (which opens him up to assault from all manner of threats, both physical and special), something which most of the ubers don't have to worry about as they either have the SpDef or the elemental resistances necessary to allow them to stay put when, say, Ho-Oh decides to join the party and spam Sacred Fire.

But in this tourney, where people don't enjoy all of the freedoms listed above -- where, in effect, you are playing an entirely different metagame -- Smogon rules don't always apply. For instance, because we're type-limited, there's already a huge imbalance between certain ones of the elements. Why?
  • Because some of the elements have way too many weaknesses. (e.g. Grass)
  • Because some of the elements have way too few things weak to them. (e.g. Normal, Ghost)
  • Because some of the elements have 10+ OU champions while others of the elements are lucky to even have as many as 2 OU regulars.
  • Because some of the elements have more well-rounded profiles (meaning, they have physical sweepers, special sweepers, defensive walls, special walls, clerics, hazers, spikers, SubStallers, etc) courtesy of their available secondary typings and their stat distributions while others of the elements pretty much only have one or two things which they can do and which, once you figure that out, you can completely wall them.
I could go on, but I think you should appreciate the truth in what I am saying. Thus, you should be able to understand the logic that went into stripping Ice of Kyurem. The idea was, "In a tournament with so many peewee Pokemon, Kyurem is just too good. Not because he is teh Kyurem. But because he's just another Pokémon with an obscenely high BST."

In hindsight, it probably would have been smart to grant Ice that exception and let it have Kyurem. (Similarly, I don't think that Ghost would have complained about having been allowed Giratina.) But what's done is done and so we'll just have to roll with it.

(If you'd like to read more, expand. If not, you're done.)
If anything, this tournament will serve as excellent evidence for any future type-based tournaments that there are serious differences between the elements that need to be addressed via a handicap system if fair play is desired. (If just-for-laughs play is desired, as was the intent behind the Champions tournament, then no changes are really necessary.)

Another thing this tournament illustrates is that, if we want to have serious competitions (like Loki's Summer 2010 one) in the future, it is unacceptable to decide a winner based on only one match. I did one-battle-per-round Round Robin for the last tournament because it was a just-for-fun tournament and I wanted everyone to have a chance to play loads of battles regardless of how talented or poor they were at Pokemon battling or regardless of how good or bad their luck of the draw was when Kuno rolled teams; but, at the same time, I didn't want to have to deal with people arguing about which of their three or five battles were their tournament-official ones. Keeping it to just one battle per round made this problem vanish. Similarly, LC's done single-battle Round Robin here because, despite the work involved in keeping those tables updated, it let's everybody have fun battling. But the one pitfall is, by only having these battles be "Best out of 1" instead of "Best out of 3" or "Best out of 5," you're really subject to the whims of the P-O hax gods. We've already witnessed this in a couple of battles. It makes for some fun times but it definitely fucks with the results, pardon my French, if we're trying to determine which elements are naturally more robust in a mono-type tournament than others.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-09-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #164
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Electric vs. Poison

Do you like Waffles?

Yeah we like Waffles! Do-do-do-do~
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #165
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

@Talon: Fair point.

But I'm still a little confused as to why Defense Forme Deoxys is banned. [/Pointless continuation]

EDIT: OH GOD THE CHOICES. Y U SO HARD?!
Quote:

Last edited by Kindrindra; 01-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #166
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Honest answer to why defence form Deoxys is banned: I read Smogon's ban list, saw A & S were banned and just figured it was to and whacked it on my list.

Either way, we've started the tournament now so another three pages of moaning about why x/y is/isn't banned is about as useful a syphilis and half as fun.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #167
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
Honest answer to why defence form Deoxys is banned: I read Smogon's ban list, saw A & S were banned and just figured it was to and whacked it on my list.

Either way, we've started the tournament now so another three pages of moaning about why x/y is/isn't banned is about as useful a syphilis and half as fun.
Goddamit Elsie, you're not supposed to tell them how much fun syphilis is. In a month the whole world will be blind!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #168
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Finally... Done...

Ho boy this is gonna be good. Even if I should be finishing my project by next block.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #169
Emp
Volcano Badge

Is Moody banned?

[/teambuilding]
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #170
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Oh, could someone invite me into the channel?

Username is DiamondSomething.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #171
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Oh lord. I don't know to be honest, seems potentially nasty but not reliable enough to flat out ban...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #172
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Elsie (Steel) vs Talon (Ghost)

Thoughts:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF Scald!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #173
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In hushed whispers, they speak of the legend ...

The legend of ...

Animechu.

*Activision-Blizzard, 20th Century Fox, and LucasFilm proudly present ...*

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

That's kind of how I imagine the story of my competitive Pokémon tale going. I had some crazy fun times in the last tourney courtesy of the blessings of the hax gods and today they truly showed, as I often joke with Daisy XP, who their chosen son is. Because holy shit, I have never seen Scald burn so reliably as it did today. How many times did it burn? At least four times if memory serves me correctly. Haven't had a chance to go back and watch the video yet but holy shit, that was some astonishingly bad luck on Lonely Cubone's part.

Cofagrigus didn't do too bad of a job, and Gengar and Chandelure played their expected parts, but the real hero of this battle was Captain Pringles, the Jellicent. Although mine's female, so I guess she's Mrs. Pringles? (Mrs. Priss Pringles? *shot for bad Christmas joke*) In any event, she definitely pulled her weight in this battle. And to think I almost left her at home!

LC thought he'd found his second wind with Registeel but unfortunately for him he was just one turn too slow with Rest. (That, or the hax gods bestowed upon me insane insight into the workings of a Pokemon battle.) I taunted that sonofabitch and that was pretty much the end of any comeback LC had planned.

I'm happy to at least not be 0-15 in this tourney. That's good. But I expect things to only get rockier from here. Vice versa, LC ... I think you'll do fine as this tournament progresses. You battle well, your team looks solid, and your element is a fairly fearsome one.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #174
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

I'll let the video speak for itself!

Gg Kuno, remember your promise...

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #175
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Yeah... I don't like Stealth Rock xd

GG MM! That's loss number 3 for me~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~

Last edited by DaisyInari; 01-09-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: I had the wrong link xd
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON